Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Table salt vs. Sea Salt

Rock Slinger

Is there a conspiracy to hide the truth about one of the most important and healthful substances our bodies need to function properly? Consider this:

The human body is made up of approximately 60-80% water, depending on your age, sex and other factors. In our blood, the salt and mineral content somewhat mimics that of the ocean from which we and all life evolved. Without salt we die-

But, since industrialization in the past 150 years or so, we have replaced naturally harvested sea salt, and unrefined mine salt, both containing many naturally occurring minerals in natural balance, with Na Cl or Sodium Chloride table salt. Most people are aware that Table salt is iodized in order to prevent goitre. In this process iodine is added back into refined Na Cl to give us table salt. Luckily, because:

'Iodine is needed by the body for the production of hormones. These hormones are manufactured by the thyroid gland and are therefore commonly known as thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones have many functions in the body, all of which are essential for normal physical and mental development, including growth. When the diet contains insufficient iodine, the thyroid gland cannot make enough thyroid hormone to satisfy the body’s need. The thyroid gland becomes enlarged due to its desperate efforts to produce the hormone; this enlargement is known as goitre, which is the outward sign of iodine deficiency.' -from the Iodine Network

Iodine is only one of at least 80 trace minerals found in salt. So far it has been proven that we need at least 24 of these 80 and it is likely we just haven't figured out or been told about the rest. Linus Pauling, Ph.D. (Two time Nobel Prize Winner)once said: “You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency”. Our bodies can not make these minerals ourselves and they must be ingested.

Here's the rub: It appears that today's highest centers for medical research, either haven't figured this out yet or worse they hide this truth from the public. I propose that Big Pharma is selling us back these minerals in the form of drugs, usually combined with some other chemicals in order to be Pattenable.

Here, arguable the most respected cancer and medical research organization in the world somehow overlooks the possibility that sea salt may be a healthful alternative to table salt. By comparing refined mine salt to refined sea salt these brains of the medical world have successfully compared Na Cl to Na Cl and found definitively that there are no differences.

Edit; Added: To be fair I have submitted a follow up question to the Mayo Clinic specifically asking if research has been done comparing unrefined sea salt to table salt in terms of healthfulness.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

Edited by Rock Slinger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rock Slinger

• MID

• crystal sage

• sickpuppy

try dissolving some of this 'table salt' in water.. this oughta get people thinking..

sea salt :tu:

Is there a conspiracy to hide the truth about one of the most important and healthful substances our bodies need to function properly?

No.

Is there a conspiracy to hide the truth about one of the most important and healthful substances our bodies need to function properly? Consider this:

The human body is made up of approximately 60-80% water, depending on your age, sex and other factors. In our blood, the salt and mineral content mimics that of the ocean from which we and all life evolved. Without salt we die-

But, since industrialization in the past 200 years or so, we have replaced natural sea salt, harvested from the ocean and containing all the naturally occurring minerals in perfect balance, with Na Cl or Sodium Chloride table salt. Most people are aware that Table salt is iodized in order to prevent goitre. In this process iodine is added back into refined Na Cl to give us table salt.

'Iodine is needed by the body for the production of hormones. These hormones are manufactured by the thyroid gland and are therefore commonly known as thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones have many functions in the body, all of which are essential for normal physical and mental development, including growth. When the diet contains insufficient iodine, the thyroid gland cannot make enough thyroid hormone to satisfy the body’s need. The thyroid gland becomes enlarged due to its desperate efforts to produce the hormone; this enlargement is known as goitre, which is the outward sign of iodine deficiency.' -from the Iodine Network

Iodine is only one of at least 80 trace minerals found in salt. Our bodies need and use all of the different minerals for basic cell and organ functions. Without the proper balance our bodies will have other problems and are more susceptible to disease. But here's the rub: It appears that today's highest centers for medical research, funded by pharmaceutical companies, either haven't figured this out yet or worse they hide this truth from the public. I propose that Big Pharma is likely selling us back these minerals in the form of patented drugs. They also sell us other drugs to deal with all the many side effects the lack of mineral balance causes.

Here, arguable the most respected cancer and medical research organization in the world somehow overlooks the possibility that sea salt may be a healthful alternative to table salt. By comparing refined mine salt to refined sea salt these brains of the medical world have successfully compared Na Cl to Na Cl and found definitively that there are no differences.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

Historically, most salt wasn't made from sea salt, especially in Western Europe, so it's not like sea salt is something that was once commonly used and then we stopped.

--Jaylemurph

Historically, most salt wasn't made from sea salt, especially in Western Europe, so it's not like sea salt is something that was once commonly used and then we stopped.

--Jaylemurph

I'm sorry. I'm sure your right, but aren't most natural salt deposits left behind from dried up ancient oceans and contain many of the same minerals, in the same ratios? If that is indeed the case then the point remains the same.

If you compare refined Na Cl to refined Na Cl from a different source there will never be a difference. Why don't 'they' compare the properties and healthful effects of unrefined vs. refined? That is what the person who posed the question to the Mayo Clinic was looking for, not what the answer is. If you do a search to compare sea salt to table salt, the Mayo Clinic answer comes up as the seemingly most credible source for an answer. Yet what one gets is an obvious misguiding or useless non-answer. Why? Do you think they are not thorough in their research of such a significant body function controller as salt and mineral content in the body? No way.

Consider, each of our organ systems utilizes minerals in performing their different functions. Wouldn't it likely be helpful if your diet contained these minerals in a natural ratio? I immediately noticed a difference in my health when I changed over to sea salt.

Edited by Rock Slinger

Is there a conspiracy to hide the truth about one of the most important and healthful substances our bodies need to function properly? [/url]

No conspiracy Rock..

It has been known for a long time that refined table salt is missing a bunch of naturally assimilatable stuff that natural sea salts contain.

It should be common knowledge by now...I should think.

There is an additional feature of sea salt that those of us who cook alot know:

It tastes better...big time.

:D

Edited by MID

No conspiracy Rock..

It has been known for a long time that refined table salt is missing a bunch of naturally assimilatable stuff that natural sea salts contain.

It should be common knowledge by now...I should think.

There is an additional feature of sea salt that those of us who cook alot know:

It tastes better...big time.

:D

Your right that it should be common knowledge but it seems it really isn't. Many people don't know that there is this significant difference in the healthfulness of one vs. the other because of the minerals. You're also probably right that it may not rise to the level of conspiracy, but it certainly is not studied and touted by the medical community and it should be.

thought I'd throw it out there for anyone's sake who is not aware. I bet if you asked 10 doctors, many or most of them would say there is no difference. Of course they would believe what they are saying, it's just not touted by any researchers. Try to find a significant study, I bet you won't find one. Who would fund it? A small unrefined salt seller who can't afford what it would take to interest a University? A pharmaceutical company?

Sea/Rock salt taste's better! :tu:

our two resident thinktanks offer their 2 cents again..

'Murph (paraphrased)

It's not like we used to use sea-salt then all of a sudden changed

Rock slinger addressed that before i could. wating for you to do some research and come back with it.. don't forget to quote everything ^_^

MID

NO Conspiracy

sure mate.. maybe you're thinking of the moon landing thread and conspiracies of that nature/magnitude.. but when people *conspire* together for one objective or another, this by definition becomes a conspiracy.. and this could be said of the salt situation here.. is it a conspiracy that dupont and friends decided now they have mastery of chemicals they could do away with the old hemp which was used for everything up untill that point? same thing.. maybe not a *conspiracy* like the one argued about in moon landing thread but still the thing does not bode well for all, and is designed to benefit only a small group.. smells conspiracyish to me..

lunch anyone? i used sea-salt..

too much salts(and viruses being sprayed) on meats these days...

too much sugar(refined, same as salt)/ high fructose corn syrup(cmon, you trust our genetically modified corn? or the syrup thereof?)/ MonoSodiumGlutamate(uuugggg its in EVERYTHING!)/ partially hydrogen soy bean(or cottonseed) oil(do you know what this means? it has an extra molecule, this makes the atom(Our bodies do not know what to do this is so unnatural, it is stored in the stomach and is hard) undigestable and is akin to swallowing gum).

Just a few things, youl have to excuse me im extremely under-rested.

to a degree it might be the same, if you think about the areas the salt is from, really. If it comes from the place we refer to as the "first spot that 'sea salt' ever came about", then sure, wouldn't that make it such? Sorry if it's confusing.... obviously sea salt is salt of the sea, and table salt it.... well I don't really know. :hmm:

I smell of sea salt occasionally!

Edited by Capt. A. W. Sparrow c.1714

I'm sorry. I'm sure your right, but aren't most natural salt deposits left behind from dried up ancient oceans and contain almost the same exact minerals, in the same ratios? If that is indeed the case then the point remains the same.

From what I've been able to find out, the salt that is mined is purer NaCL (especially the clear crystalline salt crystals preferred by man) than sea salt -- many of the elemental and chemical impurities in the sea water do not last sufficiently long outside aqueous solutions for the geological processes involved in uplifting salt domes or pipes where it is mined. That is to say these impurities survive the quick-dry processing used by man in recovering salt from the sea (mostly because more water survives the process in larger, impurer crystals that are whiter or grey).

Salt that has been mined has been dried out for millions of years, and lacks the water within the crystalline structure needed to maintain many of the water-borne impurities in the salt. Therefore it is (often, but not always) of purer NaCl content -- which is why mined salt was better for use in preservation of foods, which was one of the chiefest uses of salt, beyond its use as a seasoning.

So, no, mined salt and sea salt don't contain exactly the same thing in exactly the same ratio. But that was good observation, and one I wouldn't have thought of. And unit, I'd cite where I got the answer, but it wasn't in published form. I asked a university inorganic chemist who works a few buildings down from me. (Suffice it to say, the conversation went on /much/ longer about salts in general and eventually ended up on his work. He did say the idea that there were over 90 different minerals -- even in trace amounts -- in sea salt was improbable)

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph

salt is nasty.

The early Native Americans used to use the sea weed from the local harbour to improve the soils in their corn fields around here, along with any leftover fish bodies, I'm sure. It not only kept the harbor clean and clear.. It added the oceans nutrients and minerals to the corn they ate. Nothing like todays mass produced GMO psuedo-corn sprinkled with Ionized Na CL & anti-caking mix.

Most of todays farmers only replenesh what is needed to grow the corn, not worried if it is a balanced end-product.

Edited by Rock Slinger

thanks murph i knew you wouldn't let me down..

you're a salt noob like the rest of us.. but you still saw fit to get info to push your point..

Zaus

Just a few things, youl have to excuse me im extremely under-rested.

mate u gotta rest it's important for the body and mind. it heals when you sleep. ;)

From what I've been able to find out, the salt that is mined is purer NaCL (especially the clear crystalline salt crystals preferred by man) than sea salt -- many of the elemental and chemical impurities in the sea water do not last sufficiently long outside aqueous solutions for the geological processes involved in uplifting salt domes or pipes where it is mined. That is to say these impurities survive the quick-dry processing used by man in recovering salt from the sea (mostly because more water survives the process in larger, impurer crystals that are whiter or grey).

Salt that has been mined has been dried out for millions of years, and lacks the water within the crystalline structure needed to maintain many of the water-borne impurities in the salt. Therefore it is (often, but not always) of purer NaCl content -- which is why mined salt was better for use in preservation of foods, which was one of the chiefest uses of salt, beyond its use as a seasoning.

So, no, mined salt and sea salt don't contain exactly the same thing in exactly the same ratio. But that was good observation, and one I wouldn't have thought of. And unit, I'd cite where I got the answer, but it wasn't in published form. I asked a university inorganic chemist who works a few buildings down from me. (Suffice it to say, the conversation went on /much/ longer about salts in general and eventually ended up on his work. He did say the idea that there were over 90 different minerals -- even in trace amounts -- in sea salt was improbable)

--Jaylemurph

The same questions remain so I ask: Are we better off with 10 out of 80, 1 out of 80, or 80 out of 80 of these elements in our diet? The lack of research here rivals the inadequate research on naturals forms of vitamins vs. chemical forms.

80 Elements dicovered in Sea Water

Element Name Chemical Symbol Element Name Chemical Symbol

Aluminum AL Molybdenum MO

Antimony SB Neodymium ND

Arsenic AS Nickel NI

Barium BA Niobium NB

Beryllium BE Osmium OS

Bismuth BI Palladium PD

Boron B Phosphorus P

Bromine BR Platinum PT

Cadmium CD Potassium K

Calcium CA Praseodymium PR

Carbon C Rhenium RE

Cerium CE Rhodium RH

Cesium CS Rubidium RB

Chloride CL Ruthenium RU

Chromium CR Samarium SM

Cobalt CO Scandium SC

Copper CU Selenium SE

Dysprosium DY Silicon SI

Erbium ER Silver AG

Europium EU Sodium NA

Fluoride F Strontium SR

Gadolinium GD Sulfur (sulfate) S

Gallium GA Tantalum TA

Germanium GE Tellurium TE

Gold AU Terbium TB

Hafnium HF Thallium TL

Holmium HO Thorium TH

Indium IN Thulium TM

Iodine I Tin SN

Iridium IR Titanium TI

Iron FE Tungsten W

Lanthanum LA Vanadium V

Lead PB Ytterbium YB

Lithium LI Yttrium Y

Lutetium LU Zinc ZN

Magnesium MG Zirconium ZR

Manganese MN Oxygen O

Mercury HG Hydrogen H

Ref. Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 65th Ed. 1984-1985, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl., p. F-149

Edit: Added

Maybe not the best source but it is interesting

Excerpt from- A Grain of Salt

Although promoted by conventional medicine as part of a healthy diet, my experience has clearly shown the fallacy of low-salt diets. They are not associated with a reduction in blood pressure for the vast majority of the population and also have adverse effects on numerous metabolic markers including elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance. Low sodium diets have been associated with elevating total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels, which, in turn, has been associated with cardiovascular events.

Furthermore, it has demonstrated that mineral deficiencies are present in most chronic illnesses and it is impossible to overcome these disorders unless mineral deficits are corrected. What conventional doctors and most mainstream organizations have failed to grasp is the difference between refined and unrefined salt. Unrefined salt contains over 80 minerals in a perfect proportion for our bodies. Our bodies were meant to function optimally with adequate mineral levels and adequate salt intake. Only the use of unrefined salt can provide both of these factors.

For the great majority of people a low-salt diet does not work. Patients do not feel well when sodium levels are lowered. Their energy level drops and they develop hormonal and immune system imbalances. It is refined salt that needs to be avoided - it is a toxic, dangerous substance that fails to provide the body with any benefit. Unrefined salt should be the salt of choice.

This article was re-printed from the Winter 2006 issue of A Grain Of Salt©. Call 800-867-7258 to request a complimentary issue.

Again maybe not the most scientific source but definately some great info. Besides- the medical community doesn't offer much info on this most fundamental subject it seems.

http://evidenceofhealing.blogspot.com/2006...ne-of-gods.html

Edited by Rock Slinger

We use sea salt.

Hopefully, you use the good stuff. The big salt producers now have products on the shelf labled as Sea Salt- made from evaporating salt water. What they don't say is that it is a high temperature evaporation and the salt is also refined. No mention of mineral content likely means minerals have once again been removed and sold seperately. They are misleading us to believe it is whole sea salt but it is not. There is a nice picture of the ocean on the label but the prodcut apparently has little relation to whole Sea Salt.

I have read that the big salt producers actually make as much or more money selling the relatively minute, seperated minerals as they do from selling the huge quantities of the Na CL for table salt.

Edited by Rock Slinger

Your right that it should be common knowledge but it seems it really isn't. Many people don't know that there is this significant difference in the healthfulness of one vs. the other because of the minerals. You're also probably right that it may not rise to the level of conspiracy, but it certainly is not studied and touted by the medical community and it should be.

Well, Rock,

You know the medical community as a whole doesn't really study much about nutrition!

The average medical doctor has very little training in nutrition at all...(it doesn't actually fit the modern medical paradigm).

thought I'd throw it out there for anyone's sake who is not aware. I bet if you asked 10 doctors, many or most of them would say there is no difference.

Precisely. I think you're absolutely correct.

Of course they would believe what they are saying, it's just not touted by any researchers. Try to find a significant study, I bet you won't find one. Who would fund it? A small unrefined salt seller who can't afford what it would take to interest a University? A pharmaceutical company?

Again, exactly correct.

You'll never interest a pharmaceutical company in a naturally occurring substance. There wouldn't be any point in it. They can't patent a naturally occurring substance, and thus have no interest in putting such a thing before the FDA, and spending a hundred million to get it approved, because they couldn't patent--you know-- sea salt, a direct herbal extract, or something like that. Their competitors would be all over the market with the same thing in a week (they're easy to make...properly), and there wouldn't be any profit in it. They could hold no rights to the substance, because it's not a proprietary synthetic formulation...it can be taken right from leaves and berries and roots by anyone!

And, if they invested money in researching something like sea salt, what would the results produce? A statement from them saying that sea salt is beneficial to your health?

Why? If the assimilatable minerals in sea salt prevent various illnesses, and they discover it, telling the public about it will do nothing but reduce people's dependence on their product. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a business perspective.

No major research effort is necessary to discover the content of sea salts. It's already been inexpensively done. However, what interest does modern medicine or phamaceutical industries have in that? None at all, really.

The business is in selling FDA approved proprietaries to physicians and hospitals.The emphasis is on selling doctors on a specific company's product. There are perks involved. It's a game. It's a business. Have you ever seen anyone come out of a doctor's office with instructions written on a piece of note paper that had a PFIZER or a GLAXOSMITHKNLINE logo across the top?

That's because the doctor is continually visited by sales reps from those companies, and prescribes their drugs. He has a vested interest in doing that. Generally, the doctor will pooh-pooh any "alternative" therapy a patient (and believe me you have to be patient to visit a doctor!) may ask about, and will say something like you indicate about sea salt.

He or she'd really rather you took the drugs he's prescribing, because he makes something off of it.

This isn't to say that the doctor doesn't believe it will help you, it's just that he knows if you don't need it, he or she isn't making any money!

And of course the media and advertising and all that crap sets people up to think along these lines.

One might consider this infiltration of conditioning a conspiracy. Looks kind of like one, but really it's not. It's a matter of people being dependent, and not having the volition to see things for themselves. It's mostly a business tactic.

Let's think about something else other than drugs to illustrate the principal.

Gasoline.

87 octane regular unleaded.

I know a person who buys only Sunoco gasoline. Why?

Because he's a big NASCAR fan and Sunoco is the "Offical Fuel of NASCAR".

Cool. Ok. I can dig that. Fill up with the offical fuel of NASCAR. I imagine he thinks he's driving on the same fuel Dale Jr. drives with every Sunday.

However, he seems to have no rational conception of the fact that when he goes to Sunoco to pump his NASCAR gasoline that he'll never in a hundred years be pumping Sunoco 260 GTX+ 104 octane racing fuel into his car.

What he'll be pumping is basically the same 87 octane unleaded, ethanol added fuel that ExxonMobil produces, or any other major manufacturer.

It's marketing nonsense...and it works!

...I'm a big race fan too, but I have no illusions about the gas I buy for my car.

It sells Sonoco. Medicine does the same thing.

A conspiracy is a small group influenced very secret thing which is hidden from view by the fact that a small group of people are involved. There are facts...things that have occurred that no one but a select few knows about.

But medicine isn't that exactly. The facts are available for anyone who wishes to research, think for themselves, and try things out. No one's covering some secret, about sea-salt, or anything else. They may make a concerted effort through the media to make you dependent, but for the discerning individual, the facts can still be derived through the din. In a true conspiracy, the facts are unknown...there is only the din.

Understanding is a matter of personal power, discernment and choice.

MID

sure mate.. maybe you're thinking of the moon landing thread and conspiracies of that nature/magnitude.. but when people *conspire* together for one objective or another, this by definition becomes a conspiracy.. and this could be said of the salt situation here.. is it a conspiracy that dupont and friends decided now they have mastery of chemicals they could do away with the old hemp which was used for everything up untill that point? same thing.. maybe not a *conspiracy* like the one argued about in moon landing thread but still the thing does not bode well for all, and is designed to benefit only a small group.. smells conspiracyish to me..

I know exactly what you're talking about unit.

My prior post discussed some of that association.

There is a concerted effort to attain conformance to a particular paradigm. I fully understand that. However, there are too many facts available to the discerning, and too many options still open to people.

You might say there is an industry that is making a concerted effort to have you conform to a paradigm that says "Sea salt is no different than any other salt. We have no studies to prove it. You need a doctor to insure your health. Drugs can heal you and all this alternative crap out there is just poppycock."

However, again, it is a matter of personal choice. You can choose to conform to the media-enhanced paradigm, or you can choose to investigate, experiment, and learn for yourself. People who do the latter find out some things that are pretty remarkable, and can do things that are so different from what conditioning tells people are "facts" that they're perceived as some kind of wizards.

They're not. They're just folks with a mind of their own who chose, and discovered, and are content with the knowledge they've obtained, no matter what the masses say.

Sure...it's somewhat similar to a wee conspiracy, but it's certainly not beyond the discerning individual to comprehend and act upon.

MID

Thanks for putting it all into what most people would consider a reasonable perspective. I agree with your analysis, but let's face it, some aspects of health and nutrition should not be overlooked by hospitals and doctors, especially for the ill and ill-informed.

I thought this interesting to add: Ever notice what the word salary was from

SALARY \

(from the Websters New Collegiate 1981 150th Anniversary Edition)

[ME, solarie, fr. L salarium salt money, pension, salary, fr. neut. of salarius of salt, fr. sal salt - more at SALT] : fixed compensation paid regularly for services. syn see wage

MID below is out of context but I think it is easy enough to follow from your previous posts how you arrived at the following reasonable and yet rhetorical question:

MID

And, if they invested in researching something like sea salt, what would the results produce? A statement from them saying that sea salt is beneficial to your health?

Of course: Yes, exactly. And we could change our salt usage for the good of mankind. Dynamic positive change could and would happen very quickly, if only it were to be. Someday maybe.

For now, if we are lucky enough to be somehow correctly informed and it turns out that SALT does indeed hold the health secrets it seems it does, and we have anything left of our salaries from our labors, we can purchase the better kinds of the NATURAL SALT our bodies are due. Though one may have to travel far or go online depending on where you live.

Put me down for a 5 LB bag.

Edited by Rock Slinger

MID

Thanks for putting it all into what most people would consider a reasonable perspective. I agree with your analysis, but let's face it, some aspects of health and nutrition should not be overlooked by hospitals and doctors, especially for the ill and ill-informed.

You're welcome.

I agree, there are aspects that should not be ignored by the medical profession / industry.

I thought this interesting to add: Ever notice what the word salary was from

SALARY \

(from the Websters New Collegiate 1981 150th Anniversary Edition)

[ME, solarie, fr. L salarium salt money, pension, salary, fr. neut. of salarius of salt, fr. sal salt - more at SALT] : fixed compensation paid regularly for services. syn see wage

Yes, interesting, isn't it? This rather points to the value that salt has had in human affairs.

MID below is out of context but I think it is easy enough to follow from your previous posts how you arrived at the following reasonable and yet rhetorical question:

MID

And, if they invested in researching something like sea salt, what would the results produce? A statement from them saying that sea salt is beneficial to your health?

Of course: Yes, exactly. And we could change our salt usage for the good of mankind. Dynamic positive change could and would happen very quickly, if only it were to be. Someday maybe.

Fundamentally, you're correct of course.

It would be nice for medicine to acknowledge these things and perhaps influence people to make a beneficial change. But of course, I think you know my point.

There's no real vested interest in it from the perspective of the industry. It's like any other naturally occurring substance which has known benefits...like garlic for instance. It is well known that garlic provides a vast variety of healthful benefits (circulatory, anti-bacterial and anti fungal, immune stimulation, etc...).

In the case of garlic, companies can in fact synthesize substances out of it and market them for particular benefits. No matter that tablets have virtually no effect on anything, and are no where near as potent as the natural stuff itself, the point is you can make something out of it and sell it as a pill (pills are the paradigm of modern medicine, of course...take a pill, get well (sic))! You can't actually do that with sea salt. What are you going to make...mineral pills, sea salt tablets?

Maybe, but as is the case with anything else, the real thing is the real thing (regular old garlic is better than any pill. Regular old sea salt is better than any possible derivative..).

For now, if we are lucky enough to be somehow correctly informed and it turns out that SALT does indeed hold the health secrets it seems it does, and we have anything left of our salaries from our labors, we can purchase the better kinds of the NATURAL SALT our bodies are due. Though one may have to travel far or go online depending on where you live.

Put me down for a 5 LB bag.

I guess it depends on where you live. I can find it in any supermarket in my area!

too much salts(and viruses being sprayed) on meats these days...

too much sugar(refined, same as salt)/ high fructose corn syrup(cmon, you trust our genetically modified corn? or the syrup thereof?)/ MonoSodiumGlutamate(uuugggg its in EVERYTHING!)/ partially hydrogen soy bean(or cottonseed) oil(do you know what this means? it has an extra molecule, this makes the atom(Our bodies do not know what to do this is so unnatural, it is stored in the stomach and is hard) undigestable and is akin to swallowing gum).

You don't really believe the old wive's tale about swallowed gum staying in your stomach do you?

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/question/di...wallow_gum.html

http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/talk/yucky/swallowed_gum.html

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/09/2...ow_your_gum.htm

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/10/11/is-it-...to-swallow-gum/

http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/12699.cfm

Of course you don't have to take all the expert's words for it though. Just swallow a piece of brightly colored gum and you'll often see it in the next day's bowel movement.

You're welcome.

I agree, there are aspects that should not be ignored by the medical profession / industry.

Yes, interesting, isn't it? This rather points to the value that salt has had in human affairs.

Fundamentally, you're correct of course.

It would be nice for medicine to acknowledge these things and perhaps influence people to make a beneficial change. But of course, I think you know my point.

There's no real vested interest in it from the perspective of the industry. It's like any other naturally occurring substance which has known benefits...like garlic for instance. It is well known that garlic provides a vast variety of healthful benefits (circulatory, anti-bacterial and anti fungal, immune stimulation, etc...).

In the case of garlic, companies can in fact synthesize substances out of it and market them for particular benefits. No matter that tablets have virtually no effect on anything, and are no where near as potent as the natural stuff itself, the point is you can make something out of it and sell it as a pill (pills are the paradigm of modern medicine, of course...take a pill, get well (sic))! You can't actually do that with sea salt. What are you going to make...mineral pills, sea salt tablets?

Maybe, but as is the case with anything else, the real thing is the real thing (regular old garlic is better than any pill. Regular old sea salt is better than any possible derivative..).

I guess it depends on where you live. I can find it in any supermarket in my area!

Do the Supermarkets near you offer nauturally, (usu. meaning wind and sun evaporated), wood rake harvested or similiar type of salt like Celtic Brand? What brands do they offer out of curiosity, I'll look again around here. I may have been wrong about that -Maybe I just need to ask where the hide it at the store ;)

Do the Supermarkets near you offer nauturally, (usu. meaning wind and sun evaporated), wood rake harvested or similiar type of salt like Celtic Brand? What brands do they offer out of curiosity, I'll look again around here. I may have been wrong about that -Maybe I just need to ask where the hide it at the store ;)

Yep...

Wind and sun evaporated mediteranean sea salts. Beleine Sea Salts are available around here (I generally use the course grained variety, because I grind it myself).

Generally speaking, 5 lb. bags aren't available. I've only seen it in 750 g containers....

Less sodium! More flavor. More minerals...all absorbable.

But caution:

"Sea Salt does not provide Iodide, a necessary nutrient." (that's a government requirement, because sea salt doesn't have any additives).

Funny thing is that they don't say...."Want Iodide...eat potato skins, they're loaded with it!".

Like calcium, for instance. You need to drink denatured animal secretions (milk) to get it...or, take supplements.

Eat broccoli or kelp...there's more absorbable calcium in those greens than in any milk, and it won't cause kidney stones like supplements do!!!