Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Table salt vs. Sea Salt

Rock Slinger

I am a firm believer in naturally evaporated sea salt, I found I use less, feel better and generally like it because of the minerals. I shop where I can get different types from different oceans they all have a unique flavor and mineral content so you can use a grey with meat a mederteranian with salad and himalayan with fish Try them all if you are able some get very expensive but they go a long way.

Obviously moderation is key. You must drink enough water to keep up with your salt intake. If you get enough NaCl in your diet through processed foods etc, you may not have room in your diet to add much, if any quality sea salt. If you cook things from scratch, then you can control what you eat. Otherwise, the vast majority of your salt decisions are already made by the manufacturer. Do not overindulge in sea salt thinking it is nothing but good for you. If you have plenty of refined salt in your diet already, increasing your overall intake of salt, even sea salt, will not necessarily put you in balance.

In other words- Replace your old salt sources don't just add to them.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rock Slinger

• MID

• crystal sage

• sickpuppy

Edit - Added: Not that it has anything to do with sea salt vs. refined but the article below does suggest a Big Salt influence lobbying to control what we believe about salt use and intake. It appears unrefined mine and Sea salt may not be considered for mass consumption for another hundred years or so because it is yet to be considered at all. The debate below is only about how much table salt is healthy.

from washingtonpost.com:

The Salt Conspiracy

Too much salt is bad for you, right?

This is what federal nutrition guidelines say. Not to mention the National Academy of Sciences and the American Heart Association.

Too much sodium--more than 2,300 miligrams a day or a teaspoon of salt--can lead to high blood pressure, which can increase the risk for heart disease.

But a few months ago, the Journal of the College of Nutrition published a supplement that contained articles questioning the scientific basis for this longstanding recommendation. It might not have made much of splash outside academia, but Integrity in Science Watch, a project of the consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, slammed the supplement, alleging the editor, Dr. Alexander G. Logan, a researcher at Mount Sinai Hospital in Ontario, Canada, was a "paid consultant to the salt industry" and didn't disclose his industry ties.

We've all been told to be dubious of studies paid for by Big Tobacco. Lately, we've learned it's hard to find an expert on depression or schizophrenia who isn't getting paid by Big Pharma. And now, CSPI is telling us, we have Big Salt.

This is just the beginning of the somewhat lackluster article. If interested in reading the entire article---->

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout...conspiracy.html

Edited by Rock Slinger

Follow this: also from the above washingtonpost.com link.

...Center for Science in the Public Interest, or CSPI says it based its terminology in part on a meta-analysis of salt research done by Dr. Alexander G. Logan, a researcher at Mount Sinai Hospital in Ontario, Canada, as a "paid consultant to the salt industry" and didn't disclose his industry ties when he.

co-authored and published a 1996 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association questioning conventional salt usage guidelines. The study was funded in part by $100,000 from Campbell's Institute for Research & Technology, which has ties to the soup company of the same name.

Logan acknowledged the grant from Campbell's and further responded: "I disclosed any perceived conflicts of interest related to our article in JAMA published in 1996 and my presentation in California in 1997. Both disclosures were made voluntarily and are in the public domain.

As it might relate to sea salt, Logan co-authored the latest big salt study with funding from Campbells Soup with the premise being that the FDA should raise or at least call into question the salt intake recomendations of the FDA. And after all this salt research Campbells just happens to have recently came out with their newest line of soups using of all things: Sea Salt!

From Campbell website:

Campbell's® 25% Less Sodium soups let you enjoy your favorite Campbell's soups, but with lower sodium! They're made with high quality ingredients and seasoned with lower sodium natural sea salt, so they taste great! Try all three of Campbell's 25% Less Sodium condensed soups — Chicken Noodle, Tomato, and Cream of Mushroom.

They promoted the new line with adds showing a chef pondering ideas at the ocean when a wave overtakes him and when asked how he came up with the idea of sea salt he says, "It just hit me". Funny commercial.

But of course Campbell's Soups with sea salt, won't say it is whole sea salt, or anything, just natural, which is a vague term. You gotta wonder if among the other important finds in the big salt study they did, if they only once again recognized the vast difference between refined and unrefined salt.

By using 'sea salt' Campbells can lower the NaCL content and have a tastier and more healthful product. Of course it's likely not whole sea salt with many of the minerals pulled out of it but maybe it's a start.

Edited by Rock Slinger

Edited: Removed my potentially unfair look at a legit trade organizations promotion of their product NaCl.

Edited by Rock Slinger

• 1 month later...

Some interesting seasalt things I came accross:

First, sea salt uses from a Thai holistic doctor's website:

Sea salt is the world's oldest antibiotic known to man. Somewhere along the way, history books have forgotten this great medicine that bacteria and viruses offered absolutely no resistance to it whatsoever. It is the simplest medicine I have ever known. For those people who want an even more powerful medicine, just add one whole lemon juice to sea salt and its antibiotic and antiviral capabilities is extended many times. For me in practice, just sea salt works wonders. No you don't need Himalyan sea salt, or Dead sea salt, for me local Thai sea salt works amazingly well anyway. Of course, I did not get a chance to try other sea salt, but I am certain thai sea salt works better than any antibiotics I am aware of, well at least for common ailments we experience everyday.

Sea salt does not raise blood pressure that much. What raises your blood pressure is usually the common salt you buy from supermarket. Cooked hot dogs with additives raises your blood pressure. Eating salted potato chips raises your blood pressure. Eating sugar PLUS salt raises your blood pressure. In fact I read a research which tested the effect of blood pressure on just sea salt alone - negligible increases. Apparently sodium gets the blame but in fact other additives were responsible for the sodium retention and absorption. For example, salt and monosodium glutamate taken together, and wow my blood pressure went skyrocketing. Eating french fries especially salted one skyrockets too, apparently it might be the cancer causing acrylamide when vegetable oils is heated at high temperatures and interferes with liver function.

Let me tell you briefly how well sea salt has worked. Benjamin Franklin mentioned in his biography that when he had a cold, he went to the sea and drank the water. The water was full of salt, and he found he was cured the next day. Yes, sea salt has antiviral properties..............

Link has some testimonials: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/sea_salt.html

This is actually very interesting: Must Sea: Salt water cure

Link to the water cure website itself. :Click Water Cure

More stuff:

Salt Deficiency: the cause of many serious diseases

An eight-year study of a New York City hypertensive population stratified for sodium intake levels found those on low-salt diets had more than four times as many heart attacks as those on normal-sodium diets – the exact opposite of what the “salt hypothesis” would have predicted. (1995). Dr. Jeffrey R. Cutler documented no health outcomes benefits of lower-sodium diets. Both sea salt and rock salt were well known to the ancient Greeks who noted that eating salty food affected basic body functions such as digestion and excretion (urine and stools). This led to salt being used medically. The healing methods of Hippocrates (460 BC) especially made frequent use of salt. Hippocrates mentions inhalation of steam from salt-water. We know today that the antiinflammatory effects of inhaled salt provide relief from respiratory symptoms ©. Thus, 2000 years ago, Greek medicine had already discovered topical use of salt for skin lesions, drinking salty or mineralized waters for digestive troubles and inhaling salt for respiratory diseases!.....

An abundance of the ingredients in unrefined real salt are as synonymous with life today as they were a billion years ago before single cells appeared here. Lack of them is synonymous with birth defects, organ failure, decay, diseases, premature aging and death at a young age.

The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the condition of the salt we eat - refined!

Sole (So-lay)

When water and salt are combined, they form a new dimension, Sole (So-lay). Sole is Alive! It’s the fundamental mineral infusion for your body. You can replace electrolytes and balance your energy simply and naturally by drinking a Sole solution each day. The sole is an excellent product for balancing the pH factor of your body. With the sole, one can also get rid of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, arsenic, amalgam and calcium because the crystal salt is able to break up their molecular structures.

The rest of that page which has a lot of interesting stuff along with a bunch of ads: Wellness cafe

FED forbid a Doctor recommends switching over to unrefined to improve overall health and prevent disease, oh my!

Edited by Rock Slinger

Thats why it's always been said if ya got a skin infection (abrasion, tinea, rashes, etc) ya can't shake, go for a swim @ the beach for a few hrs, the high levels of ''natural salt'' in sea water will wash away ya troubles. It might sting like a b*tch in some cases but it'll be worth it. linked-image

EDIT: See your doctor if pain persists. lol!!!

Edited by REBEL

Thats why it's always been said if ya got a skin infection (abrasion, tinea, rashes, etc) ya can't shake, go for a swim @ the beach for a few hrs, the high levels of ''natural salt'' in sea water will wash away ya troubles. It might sting like a b*tch in some cases but it'll be worth it. linked-image

EDIT: See your doctor if pain persists. lol!!!

:lol: ...The classic government disclaimer.

Love the humor, REB!

:lol:

p.s., you're right.

It is worth it!

Sort of like raw garlic. I know an M.D. who had a skin cancer lesion on his neck (nasty little black mole looking thing). Taped a piece of raw garlic to it every night for about 4 days. Guess what...he peeled the remains of the lesion off of his neck. Burned a bit at times, but there's nothing left of the lesion.

hmmm....

:lol: ...The classic government disclaimer.

Love the humor, REB!

:lol:

p.s., you're right.

It is worth it!

Sort of like raw garlic. I know an M.D. who had a skin cancer lesion on his neck (nasty little black mole looking thing). Taped a piece of raw garlic to it every night for about 4 days. Guess what...he peeled the remains of the lesion off of his neck. Burned a bit at times, but there's nothing left of the lesion.

hmmm....

Thanks for helping with the point here.. And by law this M.D. could not promote this as a cure without losing his career. Same thing with Salt. Even most of the Saline drips they give to people is the cheap, table salt variety- crap.

So, if you or a loved one is faced with hospital care and on a saline solution as is typical, be sure and ask for a more complete and more balanced salt version... and of course bring your own food, water and salt... The will likely only offer the cheap stuff and say it's all the same, like vitamins.

That's it. Personal responsibility.

If only our M.D.'s, who take the Hippocratic Oath actually considered Hippocrates simple approach to most common illnesses..

From Wikipedia:

The Hippocratic school held that all illness was the result of an imbalance in the body of the four humours, fluids which in health were naturally equal in proportion (pepsis).[21] When the four humours, blood, black bile, yellow bile and phlegm, were not in balance (dyscrasia, meaning "bad mixture"), a person would become sick and remain that way until the balance was somehow restored. Hippocratic therapy was directed towards restoring this balance.

If our doctors actually followed Hippocrates early wisdom in the use of salts, many people would have found relief from ailments caused by mineral inbalances and definciencies, etc... Someday, maybe in our lifetime we can only hope that this will no longer be the case.

Maybe we could waste a few billion less on "treatments".

I will try to find some legit Hippocrates / salt-as-medicine info if I can find it. Unless, please beat me to it. You do gotta wonder how much has been intentionally left out of text books when our doctors today can't legally acknowledge these things?

Effective natural healing has been done a great injustice, of that there is no argument.

Do people in various capacities sit around and figure out how to keep the people in the dark about this stuff? I think so. If "they" can seperate the ingredients and sell them for 100X the amount wholesale and 10,000X retail... Lithium for example... why stop now?

Edited by Rock Slinger

A taste for salt in the history of medicine

Eberhard J. Wormer

Leonrodstr. 32, 80636 München, Germany

E-mail : eberhard.wormer@extern.lrz-muenchen.de

"There must be something sacred in salt. It is in our tears and in the ocean." (Khalil Gibran)

________________________________________________________________________________

____

Is human life without salt imaginable? Probably not. Salt symbolises life itself . Basic physiological functions depend on a balance between salts and liquids in the body. When the balance is upset, disease may occur.

Salt has been an essential, virtually omnipresent, part of medicine for thousands of years. It has been used as a remedy, a support treatment, and a preventive measure. It has been taken internally or applied topically and been administered in an exceedingly wide variety of forms.

We shall take a journey through the history of the use of salt in medicine and discover that empirical knowledge of the benefits - and sometimes drawbacks of salt - has been a hallmark of many civilisations.

________________________________________________________________________________

______

When Lot's wife looked back to catch a last glimpse at the burning city of Sodom, she turned into a pillar of salt. Roman priests scattered salt where the city of Carthage once stood to prevent any return of life. These allegories contradict what we know about salt today. Dissolved common salt (sodium chloride) isipresent in all the human body and plays crucial physiological roles in life-sustaining processes (a). Life cannot exist without salt. But when did salt become associated with healing powers? And what are its healing powers? (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Our journey through the history of medicine will illustrate how the properties of salt have been viewed with time.

Salt in Egyptian medicine

Salt is mentioned as an essential ingredient in medical science in some of the oldest medical scripts. The ancient Egyptian papyrus Smith, which is thought to refer to the famous master-builder and doctor Imhotep of the third pre-Christian millennium, recommends salt for the treatment of an infected chest wound. The belief was that salt would dry out and disinfect the wound (B). The papyrus Ebers (1600 B.C.) describes many salt recipes especially for making laxatives and anti-infectives. They were dispensed in either liquid, suppository or ointment form. For instance, there was a suppository containing honey, vegetable seeds and ocean salt that was used as a laxative and one with incense, vegetable seeds, fat, oil and ocean salt against anal infections. Salt-based remedies were also prescribed for callous skin, epidemic diseases, to check bleeding, as an eye ointment, and to accelerate childbirth (a vaginal suppository).

Salt in Greek medicine

Both sea salt and rock salt were well known to the ancient Greeks who noted that eating salty food affected basic body functions such as digestion and excretion (urine and stools). This led to salt being used medically. The healing methods of Hippocrates (460 BC) especially made frequent use of salt. Salt-based remedies were thought to have expectorant powers. A mixture of water, salt, and vinegar was employed as an emetic. Drinking a mixture of two-thirds cow's milk and one-third salt-water, in the mornings, on an empty stomach was recommended as a cure for diseases of the spleen. A mixture of salt and honey was applied topically to clean bad ulcers and salt-water was used externally against skin diseases and freckles. Hippocrates also mentions inhalation of steam from salt-water. We know today that the antiinflammatory effects of inhaled salt provide relief from respiratory symptoms ©. Thus, 2000 years ago, Greek medicine had already discovered topical use of salt for skin lesions, drinking salty or mineralized waters for digestive troubles and inhaling salt for respiratory diseases!

Roman salt-containing recipes

The Roman military doctor Dioskurides (100 A. D) is regarded as one of the most important medical authors of Antiquity. His work Materia Medica summarises the botanical and pharmacological know-how of his time. Dioskurides considered "honey-rain-ocean water" to be an excellent emetic. Salty vinegar was helpful against "binging and rotting callosities" and bites (dogs and poisonous animals), to check bleeding after surgery, as a gargle to kill leeches and to get rid of "scab and crust". Salt added to wine and water was a laxative.

Both sea and rock salt were used in remedies but rock salt was considered to be the strongest. The salt was generally mixed with other ingredients (e.g. vinegar, honey, fat, flour, pitch, resin) and could be dispensed in several forms (drink, suppository, clyster (enema), ointment, oil). The main recommended indications were skin diseases, dropsy, infections, callosities, ear-ache, mycosis, digestive upsets, sciatica.

The inheritance of classical Antiquity

The Greek doctor Galen from Pergamon (129–200 A.D.), physician-in-ordinary to the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, summarised the medical concepts of antiquity and left his mark on western medicine for over 1000 years. His medical system also made use of salt (sea salt, rock salt, salt foam) in recipes against many diseases: infectious wounds, skin diseases, callosities, digestive troubles. His list of salt-containing remedies also included emetics and laxatives.

Salt in the Arab world

Eight hundred years later, the medical precepts of the well-known Arab doctor and scientist Avicenna (Ibn Sina, 980–1037 A.D.) laid the foundations of modern scientific medicine. His recipes also used salt. He emphasised the presence of iodine and iron in coastal sea salt. The Jewish doctor Maimonides (1135–1204 A.D.), physician-in-ordinary to the caliph in Persia, wrote in his Dianetic for soul and body that only bread with enough salt was healthy food.

Salt in medicines of the Middle Ages

The School of Salerno (11th -13th Century A.D.) founded western European academic medicine in the Middle Ages. It is seen as the first European university to bring together medical knowledge of Greek and Arab origin and transcribe it in latin. Its writings reveal an awareness of the use of a mixture of salt, oil and vinegar as an emetic and of suppositories of salt and honey as an effective remedy against constipation (see Egyptian medicine above). Powdered and roasted salt was said to have a pain-killing effect and rock salt was considered to be a good remedy against fever.

The School published a book on The Art of Staying Healthy which was a collection of sayings and poems providing Crusaders with life regimens they could understand. It was in fact one of the first popular medical manuals for people versed in latin and for academically trained physicians. The book explicitly recommended salted bread and food. Salt not only made food tasty but drove off toxins. However, it also warned against too much salt: "Too salty food diminishes semen and eyesight – salt burns, makes one fretful, shabby, scabby and wrinkly."

Salt in Renaissance medicine

The doctor and alchemist Paracelsus (1493–1541 A.D.) introduced an entirely new medical concept. He believed that external factors create disease and conceived a chemically oriented medical system which contrasted with the prevalent herbal medicine. Only salted food could be digested properly: "The human being must have salt, he cannot be without salt. Where there is no salt, nothing will remain, but everything will tend to rot." He recommended salt water for the treatment of wounds and for use against intestinal worms. A hip-bath in salt water was a superb remedy for skin diseases and itching: "This brine - he said - is better than all the health spas arising out of nature." He described the diuretic effect of salt consumption and prescribed salt preparations of different strengths that were used for instance against constipation.

Salt in 16th-19th century pharmacies

The pharmacies of the 16th century continued to relate the various uses of salt to its external aspect (rock salt, sea salt, refined salt and roasted salt). Respect for salt was as deep as prices were high. Until the 18th century, the preferred and most common pharmacy salt was rock salt which, in Germany, came chiefly from the Carpathian Mountains, Transylvania, the Tyrol, and Poland. Rock and sea salt were still listed separately in the 1833 chemical-pharmaceutical handbook but, as from 1850, the origin of the salt was no longer specified.

The pharmacists of the 19th century recommended internal use of salt against digestive upsets, goitre, glandular diseases, intestinal worms, dysentery, dropsy, epilepsy, and syphilis. Externally applied salt (e.g. cold or warm hip-baths) was said to be locally stimulating but acerbic to skin and mucous membranes at high doses. External application was advised in cases of rash and swelling and, in ophthalmology, to drive off stains and stain-obscurations of the cornea. A clyster (enema) of salt was even supposed to work for patients who were "seemingly dead and apoplectical".

Salt in encyclopaedias and popular medicine in the 18th and 19th centuries

The encyclopaedias of the 18th century published extensive treatises on salt, in particular rock and sea salt, and referred to current knowledge on the healing powers of salt. A particularly infamous book was the Dirty Pharmacy by Paulini (1734) which held a collection of the nastiest imaginable mixtures for diseases of all kinds. Salt was a frequent ingredient. For instance, red watering eyes could be treated by covering them with a mush of fresh manure from a black cow, beer-vinegar, and half a knife's tip of salt.

Medical practitioners of the 19th century paid particular attention to the effects of natural salt. In 1860, in eastern Bavaria, a sodium chloride solution was used as a compress against inflammation. Further west, inflammations of the belly button of children were washed with salt water. Warts were removed by spreading the juice of a snail that had been sprinkled with salt. Hot foot-baths containing salt and ashes were used to alleviate headaches. Burns were treated with brandy, vinegar or salt water.

Salt in 20th century medicine

As indicated above, salt was an important ingredient of remedies in Europe, on a par with natural products such as herbs, until the late Middle Ages. From then onwards, it became an item in the medicine chest of popular rather than academic medicine. It was not until spa therapy gained popularity in the 19th century that its healing powers gradually began to be investigated scientifically and not until the 1950s that its effects were studied in any detail.

Today, salt is a natural healing principle used in the form of inhalations, salt-water baths and in drinking-therapy. An important discovery of 20th century medicine is that salt water - in the form of an isotonic sodium chloride (saline) solution - has the same fluid quality as blood plasma. This has led to the use of salt solutions as intravenous infusions. However, salt solutions are also used subcutaneously, intramuscularly, as an enema or externally.

Infusing saline

In 1832, the English doctors R. Lewins and T. Latta used a sodium chloride infusion successfully against cholera for the first time. Nowadays, isotonic sodium chloride solution (saline) has many uses:

- as a "replacement fluid" in emergencies. Saline can temporarily replace large amounts of lost blood and thus often saves the lives of accident victims. It can palliate prolonged loss of gastric juices.

- as a "tool and washing liquid". Chilled saline is used to determine cardiac output per minute, for medically founded forced drainage, to wash red blood cells for blood transfusions, and, at body temperature, to irrigate organs (e.g. gastro-intestinal tract, bladder).

- as a "carrier" solution for drugs.

From applying salt to bathing in salt

Our journey through history has revealed that the antiseptic action of salt on the skin and mucous membranes has been known for a very long time. Scientific studies have now confirmed the effectiveness of salt therapy in several indications. The antiseptic and bactericidal qualities of dental salt (sea salt) help remove plaque which is a cause of gingivitis and caries. Salt is being increasingly used as support treatment for skin diseases. Chronically inflamed skin is treated with medical bath salt from the Dead Sea (d) or table salt. The salt peels off dandruff, reduces inflammation, itching and pain, and helps regenerate the skin. Salt-baths are frequently used to treat psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, chronic eczema as well as arthritis. Sometimes (as in psoriasis), this therapy is followed by ultraviolet light radiotherapy under strict medical control so that the combination of salt water and UV light does not expose patients to an increased risk of skin cancer.

The ancient Greeks had already recommended seaside health resorts to cure skin diseases and Paracelsus mentioned the effectiveness of "salt brine". Sea-water baths later led to salt-water baths in regions closely linked with the extraction of salt (salt mines, springs and works) but it was not until 1800 that doctors from the German town of Bad Nauheim introduced a methodical salt-bath therapy (6). They tried to obtain scientific evidence for claims regarding the healing effects of the waters. Current medical indications for salt-bath therapy rest, as a matter of principle, on the empirical traditions of centuries. They include support treatment for skin diseases due to the anti-inflammatory action of salt. Patients suffering from rheumatic conditions often experience relief from joint pain when moving about in a salt bath.

Finally, common or Dead Sea salt can be used as an additive especially in body care products (ointments, shampoos, gels, washes and body lotions).

Inhaling salt

Steam from salt water is inhaled in chronic diseases of the upper and lower respiratory track (pharynx, paranasal sinuses, and bronchial tree) or to ease the discomfort of a common cold. Let's not forget that Hippocrates had already recommended this treatment! The age-old method is to heat a salt solution to obtain steam but modern ultrasound atomising can now transport minute salt particles directly to tiny bronchia. The main effects of salt on the bronchial system are to stimulate secretion, loosen and help eliminate viscous secretions, inhibit inflammation, reduce irritation causing cough, clean the mucous membrane of the kinocilium, and contract (bronchoconstriction) or extend (dilatation) the respiratory ducts.

Drinking salt water

Salt water when drunk has an expectorant effect in the stomach and increases gastric juice secretion. It raises the level of stomach acid, hastens its production, impedes or stimulates stomach motricity and emptying-rate (depending upon the salt concentration), increases the secretion of the pancreas, and at higher salt concentrations stimulates the formation of bile acids.

Salt as a vector

Rock salt is of higher purity than sea-salt which can be contaminated with many minerals and other substances. Some of these contaminants, such as iodine, can be beneficial to health. Iodine deficiency is a major health risk. It gives rise to a thyroid gland disease characterised by hormonal disturbances causing cretinism and by a goitre which can be so large that it may blocs airflow through the throat or reach externally right down to the collar bone (7). Goitre used to be endemic in regions far from the sea such as the Alps but was rarely encountered in countries of southern Europe bordering the Mediterranean. Nowadays, Germany is the only industrial nation where goitre due to a lack of iodine is still common. This is because, despite the known health risk, part of the German food industry still uses the cheaper iodine-free salt for economic reasons. No legal measure makes the use of iodised salt compulsory in Germa ny. The health authorities must rely on public information campaigns promoting the benefits of salt with iodine.

Homeopathic salt

N. H. Schüßler (1821–1898), a German doctor, developed a special "biochemical" therapy based on 12 mineral salts which he considered crucial for cell function. This therapy is still used today. For Schüßler, health resulted from a balance among these salts, disease from a disequilibrium. Common salt (sodium chloride) was one of his 12 salts. He administered the salts in homeopathic doses in an extremely wide range of indications (anaemia, loss of appetite, loss of weight, common cold, stomach and intestinal disorders, watery diarrhoea, constipation, haemorrhoids, rashes, rheumatic troubles, headaches, fatigue) and externally against lip blisters, acne, comedo, skin fungus and sores.

A flip side to the coin?

In the Middle Ages, the School of Salerno warned against the excessive use of salt (see above). The subject of excessive salt use has been a matter of great controversy over the last three decades. Scientific medicine has found that a high salt intake from food, especially by people with an inherited sensitivity to salt, might increase the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Extensive studies have indicated that too much salt in food may lead to arterial hypertension. There are those who forbid the addition of any salt at all to food and those who suggest that consumption should be limited to around 5 or 6 grams a day. There are epidemiological studies that indicate that populations such as the Japanese who consume vast amounts of salt have a high incidence of CVD but no direct causal link has yet been definitively established between salt consumption and high blood pressure.

The cumulative past experience of our human ancestors and an increasing volume of current scientific evidence indicate that salt is a major life-preserving substance and effective healing principle. As often, therefore, the question is one of balance. When do possible health risks override the beneficial and vital effects of an adequate salt intake? The answer probably depends on the individual (e).

Notes

(a) Science and medicine have tried to define the precise roles of salt in the healthy and diseased human organism. Blood, sweat, and tears all contain salt, and both the skin and the eyes are protected from infectious germs by the anti-bacterial effect of salt.

When salt is added to a liquid, particles with opposite charges are formed: a positively charged sodium ion and a negatively charged chloride ion. This is the basis of osmosis which regulates fluid pressure within living cells and protects the body against excessive water loss (as in diarrhoea or on heavy sweating).

Sodium and chloride ions, as well as potassium ions, create a measurable difference in potential across cell membranes. This ensures that the fluid inside living cells remains separate from that outside. Thus, although the human body consists mainly of water, our "inner ocean" does not flow away or evaporate.

Sodium ions create a high pressure of liquid in the kidneys and thus regulate their metabolic function. Water is extracted through the renal drainage system. The body thus loses a minimal amount of essential water. Out of 1500 litres of blood which pass daily through the kidneys, only about 1.5 litres of liquid leave the body as urine.

Salt is "fuel" for nerves. Streams of positively and negatively charged ions send impulses to nerve fibres. A muscle cell will only contract if an impulse reaches it. Nerve impulses are partly propelled by co-ordinated changes in charged particles.

(B) According to modern scientific research, salt does indeed have weak disinfectant properties when applied topically.

© Inhaling steam from salt water has become an established treatment for acute and chronic respiratory diseases in spa-, balneo- and thalasso- therapies

(d) The mineral composition of Dead Sea salt is slightly different from that of common sea salt . Dead Sea salt is considered to be particularly useful in chronic skin diseases such as psoriasis.

(e) I acknowledge with thanks Johanna S. Gordon's help in translating the German draft of this article.

Thanks for helping with the point here.. And by law this M.D. could not promote this as a cure without losing his career.

In his case, he has a national newsletter. But he merely described his own personal empirical results. He didn't say it was a cure. He merely described how it cured him. That you can do. Hawking the product (HA...a natural substance that anyone could grow in his or her garden) is a Federal no-no...). He didn't do that. He merely described what he did and the results....

Can't stop that. But I do understand your point, and you're right!

That's it. Personal responsibility.

That is the crux of the entire matter. Good show.

The point of these folks, such as the MD I metioned, or a DO, or an ND, or an herbalist, is not to tell you this or that will cure a disease, but rather to illustrate wht they've seen ( and no law can prohibit that!) , and get you out of your conditioning and fear, so you might illustrate it for yourself, by yourself! Nothing illegal about that. It's an appeal to your self-reliance!

Now, I have no idea if I had a skin cancer, and I was intrigued by what this MD said (a rare occassion where I'm actually intrigued by the words of an MD), but I did have a large mole on my back.

Being insanely experimental, I said to myself, "Well, let's see," and taped a small piece of raw garlic on it.

There was a burning sensation...big deal.

Three days later, I was amazed when I pulled the remnants of this thing off of my back. It left no mark whatsoever, save a little redness around the mole's previous place of existence (which I deemed rather natural, owing to the nasty nature of garlic juice against human skin...it's pretty powerful stuff!).

Hmmm...

Now, I'm not claiming it cures skin cancer, and neither was he. I, as he did, simply described empirical results. And of course, he's not hawking a product as a cure...he's simply talking about natural substances which can't be patented (nor approved by the FDA, nor patented by a drug company, which is the point) .

They key here is realizing what's been said, and how it's being said. The rest is a matter of personal investigation, and accepting personal responsibility, as you've said. It's called science, actually!

• 2 months later...
This is a really helpful post. With all the scientific advances we have, maybe we should take a look at what we have and is naturally abundant, salt. History has reminded us over and over again of what it can do. The Dead Sea Miracle

Yep. Salt, garlic, herbs...real food...

In a societal paradigm that has conditioned us from the time we were tots that we were beholden to doctors and modern medicine to maintain our health, it's amazing what letting that go and realizing how simple things really are can effect us!

Rock...

That's Apollo 11 in my avatar...

My dad confirmed with me that he worked on Apollo 11. He was part of a small team that designed and constructed the thrusters and their control mechanisms for the lunar lander. Very cool stuff. The movie Apollo 13 was the only movie he watched on a big screen movie theater in about twenty years. he got a real kick out of seeing some of his work in lifelike scenes and surround sound!

I tried to turn him onto sea salt but he says he's more worried about not getting enough iodine... I told him about potato skins but to no avail. I'll keep working on him. It's hard to change people's lifelong beliefs.

Thanks again MID for all your contributions to this topic. What else is there to say or do? The Mayo Clinic has not responded to my requests for updated information comparing unrefined to refined salts. I guess they figure they've already done their job.. Maybe I'll send a link to this thread next time, just to give them a headstart on their research. ;)

Edited by Rock Slinger

My dad confirmed with me that he worked on Apollo 11. He was part of a small team that designed and constructed the thrusters and their control mechanisms for the lunar lander. Very cool stuff. The movie Apollo 13 was the only movie he watched on a big screen movie theater in about twenty years. he got a real kick out of seeing some of his work in lifelike scenes and surround sound!

I'll bet he did!

Very cool stuff....

I tried to turn him onto sea salt but he says he's more worried about not getting enough iodine... I told him about potato skins but to no avail. I'll keep working on him. It's hard to change people's lifelong beliefs.

Thanks again MID for all your contributions to this topic. What else is there to say or do? The Mayo Clinic has not responded to my requests for updated information comparing unrefined to refined salts. I guess they figure they've already done their job.. Maybe I'll send a link to this thread next time, just to give them a headstart on their research. ;)

You're most welcome Rock...

My pleasure!

:tu:

Yes.. I too have found the health benefits of Iodine... seems to help with arthritis flare ups.. by just painting about a couple of inches of this on your skin.. ( I don't ingest it... if the color disappears with in a few hours.. your body needed it.. if it stays for a few days your body has enough...)

http://www.altcancer.com/lugols.htm

Do not take Lugol's iodine if you know you are allergic to iodine. It could be fatal.

B) Back on topic....

http://www.healthfree.com/celtic_sea_salt.html

Why Sea Salts?

* Celtic Sea Salts are a prime condiment that stimulates salivation, helps to balance and replenishes all of the body's electrolytes.

* It provides renewed energy

* It gives you a high resistance to infections and bacterial diseases

* It supplies all 82 vital trace minerals to promote optimum biological function and cellular maintenance.

* It balances alkaline/acid levels

* It restores good digestion

* The natural iodine in these salts protects against radiation, atomic fallout and many other pollutants.

* It can aid in relieving allergies and skin diseases

* And overall greatly reduces toxins and to help prevent ill-health

* Properly stored, salt keeps virtually indefinitely.

What Is Real Sea Salt?

Picture of Raw Sea Salt at Crystals

Natural gray sea salts provide renewed energy, and at the same time gives higher resistance to infections and bacterial diseases. Natural Celtic Sea Salts, are the gentlest alkaline forming substance known. Furthermore, cereal grains, beans, roots or vegetables pickled or aged with salt (pickles, sauerkraut, or naturally fermented, starter-type bread), all become even better healing foods when prepared with unrefined natural salt. The Organic Health that can be obtained from Sea Salts has yet to be realized. The absence of sea salt in the daily diet greatly hampers absorption of the nutrition contained in grains and vegetables and leaves them unable to function as natural healing agents. natural Celtic Sea Salt is a living food, with its ionic and electrolytic properties profoundly anchored in its grounding crystals.

Natural Light Gray Sea Salts provide the most basic condiment as well as a staple food. They possess the power to rejuvenate the body's biosystems, therefore, a powerful remedy for countless health problems. No pill supplementation can equal the wealth of minerals that natural Celtic Sea Salts supply, regardless of how rich or precisely that supplementation is formulated.

Clean, unrefined, and hand-harvested natural Celtic Sea Salt, used in the proper manner, has reversed many a "chronic illness" and restored wholeness in just a few days. Because of its complex beneficial minerals and bio-electronic power it offers countless health benefits: it balances alkalinity/acidity levels, restores good digestion, and relieves allergies and skin diseases. The daily use of these natural salts along with a whole-grain-based diet could greatly reduce toxins and prevent ill-health.

• 1 month later...

Are Australian children iodine deficient? Results of the Australian National Iodine Nutrition Study

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/184_04...li10728_fm.html

scussion

The National Iodine Nutrition Study is the largest study of its kind ever carried out in Australia, involving over 1700 students from 88 schools across five states. Random cluster sampling of classes generated a sample quickly and easily and gave each class an equal chance of being chosen, thereby providing an unbiased estimate of the overall population value.

Mainland Australian children as a group are borderline iodine deficient. However, there are significant and unexpected variations across the continent, with, overall, Western Australian and Queensland children being iodine replete and Victorian and NSW children being mildly iodine deficient. The results from NSW and Victoria are very similar to those previously reported.5-7 Tasmania was not included, but a study in 2001, before a bread fortification program was commenced, showed that the median UIE in Tasmanian schoolchildren was 84 μg/L, with 20% having levels under 50 μg/L.10 These results for Tasmania are similar to our results for NSW and Victoria.

About half (46.3%) of all the students tested in mainland Australia had UIE levels in the range of mild (36.7%) to moderate (9.6%) iodine deficiency. Most of these children came from south-eastern Australia. Victoria (18.8%) and NSW (13.6%) had the highest percentage in the range of 20–49 μg/L.

Children living in Western Australia and Queensland are clearly ingesting more iodine than their counterparts living elsewhere in Australia. We are not sure of the reasons for these regional variations, but the most likely explanations include:

possible differences in the proportion of the population using iodised salt;

variations in regional milk iodine content; and

drinking water iodine levels.

These possibilities are currently being investigated. For example, the limited number of drinking water samples collected during the survey showed relatively high iodine levels in water and milk in northern and central Queensland, which could explain why the UIE levels indicated iodine sufficiency in this state.

..Also maybe there was limited fluoridation of Queensland water supply...

http://blogs.brisbanetimes.com.au/yoursay/...ide_for_qu.html

It has been seen that fluoridation decreases the iodine uptake.

Another line of evidence which indicates that fluoride is an endocrine disrupter is the number of studies that indicate the fluoride may inhibit the functioning of the thyroid gland. Andreas Schuld, president of a group called Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children, has prepared an excellent summary of the evidence that points in this direction (53, 54). To put the matter as simply as I can, his group has been able to show that areas of endemic fluorosis are also areas designated as being endemic with iodine deficiency disorders (IDD). The group rediscovered studies and documentation from the European medical literature spanning over 30 years of research testifying to fluoride's pharmacological effectiveness in the treatment of hyperthyroidism (the term used to describe an over-functioning thyroid gland). Thyroid hormones are absolutely essential for normal growth and development. Hyperthyroidism means that the thyroid gland is producing too much of the thyroid hormones, T3 and T4. These two hormones have 3 and 4 iodine atoms respectively. Schuld's group has also shown that there is a remarkable similarity between the symptoms listed for hypothyroidism (under active thyroid gland) and those reported for fluoride poisoning (55). Putting these two conditions together, it appears that fluoride decreases the production of thyroid hormones. If you are suffering from hyperthyroidism, fluoride might be of some benefit. But for a normal person if you are exposed to too much fluoride it could result in reducing thyroid hormone production below normal and necessary levels (i.e., hypothyroidism).

It is not clear just how fluoride reduces thyroid hormone production. It may be that fluoride competes with iodine uptake into this gland. Alternatively, fluoride might inhibit the enzymes inside the gland which assemble the hormones from its chemical precursor, the amino acid tyrosine.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T257409.html

..Also maybe there was limited fluoridation of Queensland water supply...

http://blogs.brisbanetimes.com.au/yoursay/...ide_for_qu.html

It has been seen that fluoridation decreases the iodine uptake.

Of course it's all about balance. Too much or too little of any mineral will be a potential issue. Sea salt is in balance.

Some day scientists, working in the interest of illness prevention, will do a study and compare the health of groups that use natural sea salt vs. those that use only table salt and see what the differences are. The Mayo clinic has not updated their response to this question in the OP. Apparently they have given the pat answer and don't feel any need to discuss the importance of mineral balance with patients. They actually waste effort to talk about how minerals effect the taste positively but overlook any possible health benefits. Actually they make the point that the refined sea salt has no added iodine in it, so actually are kind of warning against it if anything. No worries people, nothing to see here, It's all the same...

Minor edit: added one word

Edited by Rock Slinger

• 4 months later...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...96F9C946697D6CF

SEA WATER CURE FOR AMERICA; Quinton Method Practiced in Paris to Be Explained in This Country.

Special Cable to THE NEW YORK TIMES.

September 22, 1907, Sunday

Section: PART THREE SPECIAL CABLE NEWS SECTION, Page C2, 268 words

PARIS, Sept. 21. -- The Quinton Seawater cure, already mentioned in THE NEW YORK TIMES, will shortly be introduced into the United States. Dr. De Lambert, one of Dr. Quinton's assistants, will sail in about three weeks for New York with his father, also a doctor.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...96F9C946697D6CF

I came accross this archived news story that had some doctors thinking sea water held promise for treatment of illness and to restore vitality etc. back in 1907.. I know, who cares...

Someday, live reef tanks may be considered more than live decorations but a source of vitality. OF course, no recent peer reviewed studies have been done on this as far as I know, and synthetic sea water mix might kill you but in 150 years from now while I'm still alive, injecting myself with water from my reef tank daily, I can say I told you so and knew it all along.... :rolleyes::D

I am trying to have some fun with the idea.

Before you criticize me, walk a mile in my shoes.

That way you'll be at least a mile away. And you'll have my shoes ;)

• 2 months later...
From what I've been able to find out, the salt that is mined is purer NaCL (especially the clear crystalline salt crystals preferred by man) than sea salt -- many of the elemental and chemical impurities in the sea water do not last sufficiently long outside aqueous solutions for the geological processes involved in uplifting salt domes or pipes where it is mined. That is to say these impurities survive the quick-dry processing used by man in recovering salt from the sea (mostly because more water survives the process in larger, impurer crystals that are whiter or grey).

Salt that has been mined has been dried out for millions of years, and lacks the water within the crystalline structure needed to maintain many of the water-borne impurities in the salt. Therefore it is (often, but not always) of purer NaCl content -- which is why mined salt was better for use in preservation of foods, which was one of the chiefest uses of salt, beyond its use as a seasoning.

So, no, mined salt and sea salt don't contain exactly the same thing in exactly the same ratio. But that was good observation, and one I wouldn't have thought of. And unit, I'd cite where I got the answer, but it wasn't in published form. I asked a university inorganic chemist who works a few buildings down from me. (Suffice it to say, the conversation went on /much/ longer about salts in general and eventually ended up on his work. He did say the idea that there were over 90 different minerals -- even in trace amounts -- in sea salt was improbable)

--Jaylemurph

I know this goes back a long ways but your guy was correct in there not being 90 different minerals in sea salt. Annalysis has found that there was at least 60 in the sample tested though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea_Salt

Celtic Sea Salt

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Celtic Sea Salt is a brand of sea salt[1] and a registered trademark in the United States, Canada, Malaysia, Austria, Benelux, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Analysis of Celtic Sea Salt® contained ~ 90% Sodium Chloride, (salt), 14.3% moisture, and 1.8% of at least 60 minerals and trace elements. The following lists the most predominant elements revealed by this analysis. (4.75g of salt = 1 tsp or 1/4 tsp = 1.20 g (1200 mg).

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration itself does not make a recommendation[2], but refers readers to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005.

These suggest that US citizens should consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium (= 2.3 g sodium = 5.8 g salt) per day).[3]

Element mg per 1/4 tsp % per 1/4 tsp

Chloride 601.25 50.90000

Sodium 460 33.00000

Sulfur 9.7 0.82000

Magnesium 5.2 0.44100

Potassium 2.7 0.22700

Calcium 1.5 0.12800

Silicon 1.2 0.05200

Carbon 0.6 0.04200

Iron 0.14 0.01200

Aluminum 0.11 0.00950

Praseodymium 0.04 0.00290

Strontium 0.03 0.00275

Erbium 0.02 0.00195

Zinc 0.03 0.00275

Copper 0.02 0.00195

Tin 0.02 0.00192

Manganese 0.02 0.00180

Cerium 0.02 0.00172

Fluoride 0.01 0.00109

Rubidium 0.01 0.00084

Gallium 0.01 0.00083

Boron 0.01 0.00082

Titanium 0.01 0.00079

Bromine 0.01 0.00071

Celtic Sea Salt® contains 33% Sodium, 50.9% Chloride, 1.8% Minerals and Trace Elements and 14.3% moisture.[4] Analysis performed by Western Analysis, Inc. for The Grain & Salt Society®. For verification: Western Analysis, Inc. 2417 South 2700 West Salt Lake City, UT 84119 (801)973-9238 Fax (801) 973-7635

[edit] References

^ http://www.celticseasalt.com/

^ U. S. Food and Drug Administration A Pinch of Controversy Shakes Up Dietary Salt

^ Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA) Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 "Sodium and Potassium"

^ http://www.celticseasalt.com/PDF/CSSAnalysis-Jan2007.pdf

This brand-name food or drink product-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea_Salt"

The Mayo clinic has still not responded to my request for a better answer to the question of whether or not sea salt is a healthier alternative to table salt because of it being a source of minerals (elements), iodine asside.

BTW, I have been told that these are elements not minerals but that the misuse of the term is common. Common enough that is is even found in Wikipedia etc...

I've read sea salt has less sodium. we use both in my home sparingly , very much so ... and 90% of the use is sea salt.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this inspired website on the subject and thought some people may find it interesting. They are not PC enough for some but so what.

I am very glad I live near the coast and can find a sip of actual ocean water very easily.. Had a sip yesterday, delicious. Finally the sun came out up here in the great northeast US.. so getting my 80 plus vital elements was more than a pleasure. Built part of the Great Wall of China and two of the Pyramids of Giza out of sand with my six year old and turned some heads.. Very fun.

http://www.oceanplasma.org/documents/mysterious.html

Because of the striking similarity between Isotonic Ocean Water and internal body fluids, notably the blood, diluted Ocean Water has been called by various nameSeawater - the important therapeutic discovery

"Water is not the source of life, it is life" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

This is a pregnant statement and a deeply philosophical one as well. If one were to collect all that has been written about the many aspects of oceans, worldwide, it would fill whole libraries and indubitably send you into information overload. In this web site, we will home in on certain 'forgotten' seawater health aspects that are so unique and so special that they deserve to be re-discovered and made available to suffering humanity. It is time, we think, to simplify health and therapy and to make available to the general public a God-given substance that needs no refining, heating, pasteurizing, processing, licensing or other artificial manipulation to make it effective. Seawater is a live substance that was thoroughly explored during the latter part of the 19 century and the early part of the 20th century by some great pioneers and visionaries, like René Quinton, biologist and Jean Jarricot, medical doctor and many others. While René Quinton and his fellow doctors adhered strictly to scientific precepts and never hinted at theosophical or even religious interpretations, one needs to at least tangentially touch on that subject if one wants to be objective.

If you consider, from a spiritual perspective, that God is Life and all there is must, by inference, derive from His creative thought, then He is the One who initially breathed life into the oceans and, by extension IS the ocean, as He IS all of life, and all of Creation that we see and feel around us. If, as R. Quinton maintains, life sprang from the ocean some eons ago or some millennia ago, who cares when, then Quinton is perfectly correct and accurate and no matter what scientific jargon one uses, such scientific marine or aquatic origin should in no way conflict with our modern spiritual concepts, no matter how convoluted and divergent they might seem. Yes, Life IS not only IN the ocean, life IS the ocean just as God is not just IN us but IS us. The difference is subtle but important.

If this sounds a bit complex it is because such questions ARE complex but in a nice way. Quinton's purely scientific approach comes surprisingly close to more philosophical tenets and even religious interpretations and we, the authors of this web site, do not see any conflict at all. If you read the words in this web site in such a spirit of open-mindedness then you will probably derive much benefit and pleasure from studying this material. Your understanding can lead to sharing this with others and much good for mankind can result. Let's let it happen, let's just do it!

Mystery - while such an Ocean connection is intriguing and certainly interesting, in this web site we are concerned about the curative properties of seawater and, in that vein, we need to look back in time and see who first made a therapeutic connection to seawater, from a scientific standpoint. Surely, the world population has derived benefits from seawater for millenia but who are some of the great men who 'put it on the map' so to speak, as a curative element?

René Quinton himself gives us a few hints and we might as well listen to him because, despite the many Sanatoriums that still exploit the ocean and its life-giving waters, the Internet and books are pitifully devoid of references to therapeutic properties of seawater.

René Quinton says in his book: "L'eau de mer - milieu organique", in the last chapter, pages 459-461 entitled: "L'eau de mer en thérapeutique" and that does not need translation...

"... it is clear, that the concept of a marine organic [medium]... ...cannot help but invite, at least as a sort of trial, certain therapeutic applications. Concerning the organism, a veritable marine aquarium, (humans included), we have today a concept that until now eluded us. An organism consists of living cells, all in intimate contact with a liquid that we have named "their vital element (milieu vital), and that liquid is a marine liquid. Let's imagine a culture tube and in that tube, seawater; in that seawater, being cultured, the organic cells: There you have the concept of an organism. ...In all cases where such a culture liquid is compromized in one way or another, the result is chemical or microbial poisoning, insufficiency of the eliminative organs, failure of certain nutrient supplies etc."

"Let's say that it is a considerable role that is actually played by seawater involving knowledgeable practitioners who use it."

1.) "We know of the excellent effects of the waters of Salies-de-Béarn, of Salins-Moutier, of Balaruc, of Bourbonne, of Bourbon-l'Archambeault, of Nauheim, of Soden, of Creuznach, of Niederbronn, of Wiesbaden, etc. when used against tuberculosis of the bone and skin, rickets, paralysis, arthritis etc. ..."

2.) "The therapeutic importance of Sodium Chloride is well known. It was already employed with success by Amédé Latour (1830-1857) with pulmonary tuberculosis, by Martin Solon (1842) and by Bouchardat (1851) with diabetes, by Plouvier (1847) with toxemia, iron deficiency and anemia etc., by Piorry (1850), Gintrac (1850), Brugs (1851), Larière (1851), Villemin (1854). Hutchinson (1854), Moroschkin (1856), Piogh (1870) with intermittent fever, and was, and still is, heavily used by all modern [medical] facilities with intra-venous or subcutaneous injections for the most varied afflictions. As a matter of fact, Sodium Chloride is THE primordial salt of seawater. Better yet, table salt, ubiquitously employed everywhere, is something else besides Sodium Chloride; an analysis reveals that it is a bunch of salts, of marine origin, that have resisted industrial purification. Treatments with Sodium Chloride come close to being, but will never be a veritable marine treatment. However, they are becoming quite unusually popular."

3.) "Therefore, the results that have been obtained for a variety of diseases, and principally in the case of bone and skin tuberculosis, by simply being by the seaside, by baths etc., are so evident and so specific that since many years Sanatoriums have been built at great expense along the coasts of France, in England and overseas as well. The cures that are daily being observed are too classic to merit special mention. So, we are faced here with a veritable marine chemical treatment: The air we breathe on the beach already carries Sodium Chloride and contains tiny droplets that have been detached from waves by the wind, and thereby the organism continually impregnates itself. Baths can only add to this impregnation. And the food also contributes: coastal animals and vegtables contain, in fact, a larger quantity of sea salts than continental animal and vegetable food. The absorption by organisms of those different sea salts is therefore evident. There would be physical factors involved with any treatment that's for sure; but the marine factor, purely chemical, is capital and undeniable.

We can see the role that seawater and its derivatives play in the most modern therapies. To envision a marine treatment that would be more energetic or effective would be a relatively futile attempt. Only the theoretical action principle would be new."

In the web site, allow yourself to be totally immersed in the mysterious and largely unexplored properties of living seawater. You will find the study enriching and enlightening!

s:

Marine Plasma

Ocean Plasma

Quinton Plasma

Marine Serum

Quinton Serum

Marine Matrix

Hypertonic Seawater is, of course, the pure undiluted solution that comprises our oceans.

Important!

Because of the possible involvement of a medical protocol in the use of Ocean Plasma, the following information is meant for Health Professionals only.

In this page... (Main Table of Contents)

Therapeutic Methods

Therapeutic Applications - in the use of the Seawater Marine Plasma ...

Contra-indications - Side effects ...

Models for Dosage and Instructions for Seawater products...

Professional Disciplines using this Therapy ...

Directory of Health Practitioners in Quebec who use Seawater Therapy...

Special Subjects ...

Therapeutic Applications - in the use of the Seawater Marine Plasma

Historically, Ocean water (plasma) has had, and can have, numerous possible applications. All of these therapeutic uses are based on the same concept of renewing, purifying and regenerating the internal fluid environment, as well as maintaining vital equilibrium.

Historically, OCEAN WATER is the best support and regenerator for all cell mechanisms.

Prenatal Care: Fetal underdevelopment, prevention of physiological problems in the fetus due to toxicoses, alcoholism, nicotine and drug addiction. Potential corrective of inherited and acquired immune-deficiencies. See our detailed supporting document here.

Infant Care: Undernourishment, underdevelopment, Athrepsia, lactose intolerance, gastroenteritis, vomiting and diarrhea, acute toxicoses, dehydration, premature birth. See our detailed supporting document here.

Pediatrics: Asthenia, anorexia, weight retardation, attention deficit disorders, dyslexia, dyslalia, student adjustment, emotional instability and neuropsychic problems. See our detailed supporting document here.

Obstetrics: Asthenia and serious vomiting, gastro-intestinal and circulatory problems, post-partum depression, breast-feeding.

Gynecology: Dysmenorrhoea, menopause, utero-vaginal infections and congestion.

Dermatology: Burns, psoriasis, atopic eczema, acne, pruritus, prurigo, hives, chronic dermatoses, skin eruptions, abscesses, alopecia and herpes.

Respiratory Problems: Chronic ENT infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis, asthma, complications of pulmonary tuberculosis. See our detailed supporting document here.

Periodontal disease: Prevention of caries, receding or bleeding gums, gingivitis.

Gastro-Enterology: Gastro-enteritis, dyspepsia, gastric and duodenal ulcers, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, hepatitis, functional colitis, spasmodic colitis. See our detailed supporting document here.

Urology: Recurring cysts, enuresis, kidney stones, sexual frigidity or impotence.

Endocrinology: Thyroid and parathyroid dysfunction.

Bone and Joint Diseases: Rickets, osteoporosis, healing of fractures, pathological double-jointedness, scolioses, arthritis, rheumatism, gout, athletic injuries.

Neurology: Depression, spasmophilia.

Geriatrics: Stress, problems of senility, undernourishment.

Intravenous Feeding: Low blood volume, (bleeding, burns, dehydration, etc,) any emergency accompanied by great physiological fluid loss, dehydration, involuntary vomiting, etc. See our detailed supporting document here.

Colon Therapy: See our detailed supporting document here.

Please explore the website if interested.

http://www.oceanplasma.org/documents/mysterious.html