Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

pay mps more instead of providing home

chemical-licker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

TAKE A DEEP BREATH STEVE :D

Pay MPs more instead of providing home allowance, urges senior Tory Theresa May

Last updated at 15:22pm on 9th March 2008

A senior Tory today called for MPs' to be given bigger pay packets instead of claiming the controversial second home allowance.

Shadow commons leader Theresa May, a member of the committee examining MPs pay and expenses, said her personal view was that the salary should be increased from the basic £60,075 to cover the costs of maintaining two homes.

Under the current system, MPs from constituencies outside London can claim a £23,083 additional costs allowance to pay the rent or mortgage and bills on a second property.

Scroll down for more...

linked-imageTheresa May: Scrap controversial second home allowance and pay MPs more instead

Ms May said: "I think we should take that housing allowance out, that's my personal view.

"There would need to be an increase in salary because most MPs do have to have two homes, that's an extra cost of being a member of Parliament." :o

The current system allows for MPs to spend £400 a month on shopping without receipts, meaning they could technically put an iPod bought from a supermarket on their expenses. :o

Ms May said: "I think MPs should be putting in receipts. We should be operating on the same basis as people operate in the outside world."

In an interview on BBC1's Politics Show, Ms May also said MPs' assistants should be employed by the House of Commons rather than paid out of the staffing allowance.

She called for a "stricter regime of receipts" to govern the fund for MPs to run their offices.

Ms May sits on the Members' Estimates Committee, chaired by Speaker Michael Martin, which is carrying out a "root and branch" review of the Westminster expenses system.

The review was set up in response to revelations about disgraced former Tory MP Derek Conway, who was suspended for 10 days after paying his son for work while he was a full-time university student.

The case prompted a group of the 2005 intake of Tory MPs to call for a US-style system which could allow voters to "recall" their representative, effectively sacking them.

Ms May said: "I think this is a really interesting idea and I think we have to look at this very seriously."

She said it was necessary to take steps to repair the "breakdown of faith" between the people and their politicians.

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg, in his speech to the party's spring conference in Liverpool, called for a "Derek Conway clause".

He told activists: "Let's clean up politics. Scandals over pay and expenses have shattered confidence.

"Thousands of voters have seen their MP exposed for corruption - and been told there's nothing they can do about it.

"I want a Derek Conway Clause.

"So if an MP is suspended for serious misconduct there is an automatic recall ballot so people can call for a by-election.

"If your MP lets you down, you should have the power to fire them."

HOW MANY HOUSES DO THESE UCKERS NEED :angry:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• Moon Monkey

• chemical-licker

• An_Observer

it gets me all wound up this sort of thing, i say pay the ****ers less, lets face it they're doing a sh** job, at the next election people, dont re-elect the current MP back in again, lets teach them a lesson,

it's about time there was a 'none of the above' box on ballot papers

these career politicians make me sick

there should be a way for us 'common' folk to be able to tell all politicians they all have to clean up there act and start actually representing us,

instead of looking out for themselves

Just one question........WHAT HAS SHE GOT ON HER FEET?

Just one question........WHAT HAS SHE GOT ON HER FEET?

Glad you mentioned it before I did...I'm no fasionista, but that crap has GOT to go! Nice to see UK politics as stupid as anywhere else. He he. :tu:

Ahh Polotitians, the only people in the world who can vote for there own pay raise with out the Risk of being fired.

~Thanato

How about building an MP's 'halls of residence' where there are 650 odd nice apartments that come with the job ? Build them close enough to the Houses of Parliament and we can cut their travel expenses down too.

How about building an MP's 'halls of residence' where there are 650 odd nice apartments that come with the job ? Build them close enough to the Houses of Parliament and we can cut their travel expenses down too.

personally i'd give them a ****ing tent and they can pitch it in the middle of the thames, but your halls of residence is a great idea but am afraid we cant do it Moon, because its to easy and and involves using common sense, i think shes got her wellies on because she knows after her speech she has to walk through a crowd of colleagues, and deep down she knows their a shower of sh**,

Edited by stevewinn

Holy crap it gets worse, MP's get 22 grand a year for their second home. Thats pretty much an average mans salary, look at some of the numbers in the article 10 grand kitchens, 1500 quid tv, flooring 35 quid a yard and whats the betting they manage to spend all 22 grand EVERY year.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1309255,00.html

Holy crap it gets worse, MP's get 22 grand a year for their second home. Thats pretty much an average mans salary, look at some of the numbers in the article 10 grand kitchens, 1500 quid tv, flooring 35 quid a yard and whats the betting they manage to spend all 22 grand EVERY year.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1309255,00.html

****ing hell, the shower of sh** is taking the p***, and treating us like mugs, £10,000 on a kitchen, its no wonder taxes are going up, i say at the next election dont re-elect the MP thats serving now, vote for a different one, if we vote them all out that will send the message, listen to the people, serve the people otherwise your out, because lets face it their having a ****ing laugh with all these two homes and expenses paid for by us the gobsh**es who let them get away with it, myself i'd **** the lot of them off, and start all over again but with everyday people voting on what they get and how much,

****ing hell, the shower of sh** is taking the p***, and treating us like mugs, £10,000 on a kitchen, its no wonder taxes are going up, i say at the next election dont re-elect the MP thats serving now, vote for a different one, if we vote them all out that will send the message, listen to the people, serve the people otherwise your out, because lets face it their having a ****ing laugh with all these two homes and expenses paid for by us the gobsh**es who let them get away with it, myself i'd **** the lot of them off, and start all over again but with everyday people voting on what they get and how much,

Sorry Steve, I am a gonna, an expat..I will never pay tax in the UK again, I will never vote again...**** 'em all. Oh and by the way any profits they make on the houses they buy with our money are NON-taxable and they can take their purchases withe them...free money again...whooaaa !!!!

Sorry Steve, I am a gonna, an expat..I will never pay tax in the UK again, I will never vote again...**** 'em all. Oh and by the way any profits they make on the houses they buy with our money are NON-taxable and they can take their purchases with them...free money again...whooaaa !!!!

Moon, i dunno what to think anymore, i've wrote letters to mp's and get PC replies, which come from their private secretaries, on behalf of the mp, i shouldnt even be doing this at my age, trouble is i love my country to much and am getting sh** upon along with others by mp's simple thing is MP's dont give a sh** as long has they are fine and dandy with their massive wages+expenses, the whole political system is a right mess, i've promised myself that if labour win the next election am leaving, i cannot live in a counrty which i feel is going down hill and in a generation wont even feel like my country,

Edited by stevewinn