Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

france protects itself from the dreaded

chemical-licker

the french language is a bore.....who wants to learn french......

là où est mon plat des poissons et de la merde

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• questionmark

• Neognosis

• Agapo

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this. When you attempt to put an airtight lid on the bubbling pot that is language, its either going to explode on you or seethe over anyway. I think l'academie is going a little to far. French is in no danger of becoming extinct. Human languages evolve and grow by incorporating new phonetics, words, and concepts within themselves. Really, they should be encouraging the growth of the French Language and not contributing to its stagnation.

I will say this. When you attempt to put an airtight lid on the bubbling pot that is language, its either going to explode on you or seethe over anyway. I think l'academie is going a little to far. French is in no danger of becoming extinct. Human languages evolve and grow by incorporating new phonetics, words, and concepts within themselves. Really, they should be encouraging the growth of the French Language and not contributing to its stagnation.

Quite right, i mean you mention phonetics! well lets take the English language, as spoken in the UK, you will find that kids these days have taken on the phonetic essence of Jamaican "patois's" (excuse my french)

its great.......erm, mi aint no Bumbaclot

Edited by Syd Boggle

Do you think we should all learn to read and write in Spanish and become bi-lingual to accommodate them?

Well, in Finland it was mandatory for everyone to study Swedish in school just a few years ago, and while it's not exactly mandatory anymore, most still choose to do so. Now, some may wonder why since Swedish such an insignificant language worldwide, with only approximately 8 million people speaking it. The answer is there happens to be a 7% Swedish minority in Finland, and always has been, and because of that minority we are a bilingual country. I believe the Swedish in Finland are the only minority in the world that are actually treated better than the majority (in a democratic country at least). Of course we're not totally bilingual I mean my Swedish is very average, can survive some small talk and routine daily situations but that's it really. But I suppose a lot of Americans living close to the border speak at least some Spanish? At least that's how it was in San Diego :) And according to my experience quite a few Canadians speak ok French as well.

Quite right, i mean you mention phonetics! well lets take the English language, as spoken in the UK, you will find that kids these days have taken on the phonetic essence of Jamaican "patois's" (excuse my french)

its great.......erm, mi aint no Bumbaclot

Haha, too true. It's going to happen whether France likes it or not it seems. I loved writing J'suis in my formal French class in highschool just to aggravate my teacher. He would say "I will not have that backwater slang spoken in my class Monsieur." :lol:

and in a few years... the US government will be banning anything in mexican... and the world will laugh and point at us for trying to save our language.

You do mean Spanish, right? That's the language they speak in Mexico (well, that and native language like Nahuatl, but I'm not aware of there being a lot of signs in that in America...).

the french language is a bore.....who wants to learn french......

là où est mon plat des poissons et de la merde

How surprising, Syd. Still, it seems like you might want to brush up on your skills in your own language if you were going to start basing other languages.

--Jaylemurph

You do mean Spanish, right? That's the language they speak in Mexico (well, that and native language like Nahuatl, but I'm not aware of there being a lot of signs in that in America...).

Yeah I ment spanish.. sorry. But the point is still moot. And I have. Been catching more and more commercials dubbed in spanish. (Even cought an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy in spanish.. >.> DON'T JUDGE ME!! I LIKE BILL NYE!! *snickers*)

It doesn't bother me. The point I was trying to make is that there are people here laughing at France's attempt to keep their language english free.. when we've here in the states have been slowly getting more and more things in spanish.

And no, French isn't a dying language. It happens to be the most popular foreign language in countries outside of the US. I suggest people check their facts :yes:

:no: English is the most popular second language outside the US, followed by Spanish, then French.