Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

German Car Sales Take Off Despite Economy

questionmark

German Car Sales Take Off Despite Economic Insecurity

German carmakers are enjoying a great start to the year as sales skyrocket. Some are even doing well on the US market, where a recession is looming.

Total sales in Germany's auto sector rose by 17 percent in the first two months of this year, according to Germany's national car industry association, VDA. The jump trailed a year of slow sales due to a 19-percent value-added tax hike in January 2007.

"That is the best start to a new year since 2003," said VDA president Matthias Wissman.

Daimler this week said its luxury flagship brand Mercedes-Benz sold 96,600 cars world-wide last month, representing a 17.7 percent increase over last year, largely due to the popularity of its C-class.

Only Mercedes gains in the US

Sales of is Smart fortwo brand also did well, doubling overall to 8,800 sold. 1,800 of the economy vehicles were purchased in the US, where buying power is slipping and the economy is said to be nearing a recession. The euro hit an all-time high of 1.52 against the dollar last month.

Most of Daimlers' US sales fell into the luxury category, however, where buyers are less affected by market swings. Mercedes-Benz posted a three percent rise in the US, the only German carmaker to post figures in the black on the other side of the Atlantic.

Full story, source: Deutsche Welle

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnakeProphet

• MissMelsWell

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of Daimlers' US sales fell into the luxury category, however, where buyers are less affected by market swings. Mercedes-Benz posted a three percent rise in the US, the only German carmaker to post figures in the black on the other side of the Atlantic.

They just don't appreciate a good audi or golf. They can have the merces, I don't like them anyway.

They just don't appreciate a good audi or golf. They can have the merces, I don't like them anyway.

Pffft, my dear Audi just blew it's engine at 60K miles. No more german cars for me, I'm done. I bought good old American muscle again. Looks good, cheap to repair, and good for 200K + miles.

The reality is that a lower end Audi, BMW. or Merc, just isn't that much more expensive than a Lexus or a fully loaded Accura anymore. Most fashion aware people (or people who really dig performance cars) will choose the German over the Japanese when the costs isn't that different, even if it means they'll lose a few comfort features.

It's no surprise to me that German car sales are up.

I've also seen a LOT of those little SMART cars around here. There's at least 3 in the parking garage right below me. Goofiest lookin' thing I've ever seen, You wouldn't catch me dead driving one. LOL.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Must have been an incredible bad one you got, since they're usually reliable around here, just like a quality car, and they're cheaper to repair. I like the japanese ones myself, cheap as dirt, and you can tinker with them if you wish to, they don't have too much electronics. Never an american car though, driving around the corner with one of those will be more expensive than the car itself.