Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU Allows France to Bankroll Google Rival

questionmark

EU Allows France to Bankroll Google Rival

Plans to build competition for search-engine Google got a boost when the EU said it would help France fund competitor Quaero.

The EU's competition watchdog approved 99 million euros ($152 million) in French state aid aimed at building a European rival to US Internet search engine Google.

The "Quaero" search engine project involves 23 companies led by French technology giant Thomson. Quaero, which is Latin for "I Search," hasn't yet got off the ground due to a lack of funding.

Its estimated costs for the first five years are projected at 199 million euros, half of which France -- which has championed the idea -- has agreed to fund.

The Quaero project made headlines in 2005, when France and Germany proposed a search engine to take on the all-powerful, English-language based, Google, which opponents felt was developing a dangerous de-facto monopoly on Internet information.

Following an "in-depth examination," the European Commission decided that the Quaero project "brings positive externalities for the community as a whole."

Full story, source: Deutsche Welle

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Bill Hill

• ships-cat

• keithisco

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

so France is funding half the project, please dont tell me the EU is funding the other half? the EU is bent.

yeah.. why do we want to fund their 'crappy' search engine.. :huh:^_^

yeah.. why do we want to fund their 'crappy' search engine.. :huh:^_^

Bit worried about your Avatar Bill :)

The only reason for France wanting their own search engine is to try and keep the French language alive in a globalised world that has rejected it in international trade.

If it was such a good idea then speculative investors would be flocking to put their money in, no need for state aid.

It's just a case of France still too arrogant to realise that the Lingua Franca is English, a source of continuous ire to them. I love it :w00t:

Approximately £100 million ? Typical French State (or for that matter, EU) thinking.

Google started out on about £100. It got to where it is today because it gave results when all other search engines where dishing out spam.

I would LOVE to know how they justify this ludicrous sum of money. It suggests that they havn't got a CLUE what constitutes a good search engine, but they've got this anti-american bug, (or rather.. the EU must do EVERYTHING better than the US), so they're just going to pour money down a hole in the ground.

Remembere Gallileo ? The unecessary alternative to the US SatNav system ? Hundreds of millions, if not billions, and it STILL doesn't work.

Meow Purr.

Remembere Gallileo ? The unecessary alternative to the US SatNav system ? Hundreds of millions, if not billions, and it STILL doesn't work.

Meow Purr.

It is not supposed to work for another two years...

It is not supposed to work for another two years...

Yes, 2010.

Except it's now 2011.

Or possibly 2014.

They've only launched two test satellittes (as opposed to the planned constellation of 30 operational satellites) and ALREADY it is £200 MILLION over budget. (this overun ALONE represents about 10% of the original budget).

The Chinese and Russians are likely to get there before the EU does.

I look forwards with GREAT interest to the Euro-google project. I predict MASSIVE budget over-runs, plus the EU taxing google (or threatening to ban it from European ISP's) in order to allow their new toy to thrive. In addition, it will be heavily cencored. (all refferences to the cancelled Gallileo project will be removed from the index, along with anything critical of the EU institutions.)

Meow Purr.

Approximately £100 million ? Typical French State (or for that matter, EU) thinking.

Google started out on about £100. It got to where it is today because it gave results when all other search engines where dishing out spam.

I would LOVE to know how they justify this ludicrous sum of money. It suggests that they havn't got a CLUE what constitutes a good search engine, but they've got this anti-american bug, (or rather.. the EU must do EVERYTHING better than the US), so they're just going to pour money down a hole in the ground.

Meow Purr.

The funding is NOT from the EU, the EU simply said that this would not constitute a breach rules The EU is not putting a cent into the venture, and lets be honest, the rest of Europe will still us Google in preference, so it is just a waste of French Taxpayers money.

Galileo is definitely needed, and when it comes onstream will be a great benefit, because if the USA becomes introverted and isolationist again then it will have little effect on our commerce

Yes, 2010.

Except it's now 2011.

Or possibly 2014.

They've only launched two test satellittes (as opposed to the planned constellation of 30 operational satellites) and ALREADY it is £200 MILLION over budget. (this overun ALONE represents about 10% of the original budget).

The Chinese and Russians are likely to get there before the EU does.

I look forwards with GREAT interest to the Euro-google project. I predict MASSIVE budget over-runs, plus the EU taxing google (or threatening to ban it from European ISP's) in order to allow their new toy to thrive. In addition, it will be heavily cencored. (all refferences to the cancelled Gallileo project will be removed from the index, along with anything critical of the EU institutions.)

Meow Purr.

The point of Galileo is that Europeans can use satellite navigation when the Americans shut it down due to "national interest". And yes, it got more expensive... because some politicians insisted on a bigger precision than was originally planned ... which is why the private investors left.

Quaero sounds like an amateur p.orn site........hmmm could be good?

Bit worried about your Avatar Bill :)

Yeah... minimal bill was only working for a short while..

My new one... er can be seen as a bit Gay... but gay in a good way... :)

Quaero sounds like an amateur p.orn site........hmmm could be good?

Sounds like a gay site. Gay in a bad way... :D

Edited by Bill Hill