Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why wasn't jesus female?

Orcseeker

I think what OrcSeeker means is that he's just asking a simple question, with no implications involved. There's nothing wrong with asking a simple question. He's not trying to make a point, ergo, he does not have the need to explain himself or do any research to back any claims which he has not made. He's just curious. I personally don't see anything wrong with this thread and I think it's a good question; sometimes simple questions are all it takes to make people sit back and think.

thankyou, rassy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Link of Hyrule

• Beckys_Mom

• norwood1026

• EtuMalku

his profile says 98 years old... so hes probably around 10 perhaps?

Males have always been more prone to violence because of testosterone and more in need of regulation and a support system for their behavior to be productive than females.

No they were not for every male God there are an equal amount of women Goddess. In fact we hold the Female acpect higher then any male God.

yes in paganism. but not in Judaism nor Christianity even till this day.

how many priests or rabbis are female ? It would have been a bad move to write the saviour was a female... so they made it a male.

No they were not for every male God there are an equal amount of women Goddess. In fact we hold the Female acpect higher then any male God.

I guess I didn't state it correctly . . . my fault

I meant the Osiris GodMan myths where this Man must die and be reborn after returning from the Underworld.

And yes, The Goddess was indeed most important . . . Aset goes and rescues her husband Osiris etc etc

Amaterasu, the Shinto messiah/sun god, is female, and so is Aradia, the wiccan messiah, daughter of the supreme Goddess Diana.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/amaterasu.html

and

http://www.paganlibrary.com/etext/aradia/index.php

I'm going to have to agree with some of the others here & say that if God created man in HIS image like the bible says then that would make God a male. Because a female can not be a HIS.
Consider for a moment that Genesis 1 states: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27). Note the Hebrew term for "man" here refers generically to mankind. The term "Male" and "female" are different words and refer to the specific biological sex.

God is spirit, neither male nor female. He is described as male at times due to the characteristics he shares as a father-figure, but God has no form.

Why was Jesus a male and not a female?

Because God aimed his finger at a male and female spirit and went > Ennie meenie minie mo... off to earth you shall.........go!!! and his aim stopped at the male...which later became JESUS the SON of God

I shouild know this...the bible says so....somewhere in the back :P

Consider for a moment that Genesis 1 states: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27). Note the Hebrew term for "man" here refers generically to mankind. The term "Male" and "female" are different words and refer to the specific biological sex.

God is spirit, neither male nor female. He is described as male at times due to the characteristics he shares as a father-figure, but God has no form.

The whole bible from start to finish the christian God is always described as male. Again people take the bible in ways that suit them the best.

I also find it curious that if Mary were a virgin and god implanted his seed miraculously, how did jesus get a Y chromosome, because he certainly didn't get it from Mary...
But if you take the Bible's description of events, Jesus always existed, before all things, including before his physical birth as a human being. He didn't just come into existence in the womb when Mary was told she would carry the messiah.

It would have been a bad move to write the saviour was a female... so they made it a male.
That is of course making the leap of Faith that the writers invented Jesus :yes:

I meant the Osiris GodMan myths where this Man must die and be reborn after returning from the Underworld.

And yes, The Goddess was indeed most important . . . Aset goes and rescues her husband Osiris etc etc

You really should read up on what Egyptologists actually believe, and stop taking the christ-mythers at their word. If I were to guess your source list for all your claims, it would prominently include Freke & Gandy, Acharya S, Massey, Graves..... did I miss any???? These are the primary sources for Christ-mythers, and are universally condemned by the scholarly community. Edited by Paranoid Android

Seriously though...why does it say in HIS image?? if God is neither male or female....should'nt the bible say so???

The whole bible from start to finish the christian God is always described as male. Again people take the bible in ways that suit them the best.
From start to finish?????

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:2).

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. - Numbers 23:19

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life. (Job 33:4)

God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

And that does not even include the literally dozens of references to people acting by "the spirit of God", or the "Holy Spirit" coming onto people's lives. Perhaps you should reconsider your statement? The FACT is that the Bible describes God as spirit. The personal use of "he" does not mean God is male. At the very least, how could both male and female be made in God's image if this were so? I noticed you completely avoided Genesis 1:27 and instead chose to sidestep the issue by generalising the argument into a "whatever suits you best" approach.

~ Regards, PA

Seriously though...why does it say in HIS image?? if God is neither male or female....should'nt the bible say so???

Excalty... Hey what happaned to that guy who had a crush on you???? :P

I've just posted a few verses, but two of particular note for you:

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. - Numbers 23:19

God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

The Bible does say so. Over and over again. As I said before, there are dozens of passages that speak of people being moved by the Spirit of God, or the Spirit of God acting on people. Repeatedly, the Bible states God is spirit, he has no form, he hovers over the waters. But he is also described as "he" because the characteristics he possesses are of a father-figure.

Is a boat a female? Then why do mariners often refer to boats as "she" - "She's a real beauty, isn't she". "She's saved my hide more than once". "She's the love of my life, I'll never have another". All common phrases you might hear from sailors speaking about their boats. I guess we should be wondering why a boat has no physical..... err, womanly attributes :unsure2:

Edited by Paranoid Android

Sex is only determined by your physical aspects. But at the same time, you could consider God either male or female by his characteristics and personality. It's not much different than ACTUALLY being a man or woman.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:2).

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life. (Job 33:4)

~ Regards, PA

Thanks for proving our point...... :tu:

Thanks for proving our point...... :tu:
And thanks for proving mine :P

And that does not even include the literally dozens of references to people acting by "the spirit of God", or the "Holy Spirit" coming onto people's lives. Perhaps you should reconsider your statement? The FACT is that the Bible describes God as spirit. The personal use of "he" does not mean God is male. At the very least, how could both male and female be made in God's image if this were so? I noticed you completely avoided Genesis 1:27 and instead chose to sidestep the issue by generalising the argument into a "whatever suits you best" approach.

~ Regards, PA

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1 v 26-27

What do other bible versions say?

They all say.....

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-27.htm

Genesis 1:27 >>

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

King James Bible

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

World English Bible

God created man in his own image. In God's image he created him; male and female he created them.

American King James Version

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

American Standard Version

And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Bible in Basic English

And God made man in his image, in the image of God he made him: male and female he made them.

Douay-Rheims Bible

And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

Darby Bible Translation

And God created Man in his image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

English Revised Version

And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Clearly stating God is male

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1 v 26-27

What do other bible versions say?

They all say.....

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-27.htm

Genesis 1:27 >>

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

King James Bible

World English Bible

God created man in his own image. In God's image he created him; male and female he created them.

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Bible in Basic English

And God made man in his image, in the image of God he made him: male and female he made them.

Douay-Rheims Bible

And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

Darby Bible Translation

And God created Man in his image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

English Revised Version

I guess that the word in Hebrew for him is no sex....

Is a boat a female? Then why do mariners often refer to boats as "she" - "She's a real beauty, isn't she". "She's saved my hide more than once". "She's the love of my life, I'll never have another". All common phrases you might hear from sailors speaking about their boats. I guess we should be wondering why a boat has no physical..... err, womanly attributes :unsure2:

Neither do cars and men say the same thin gs about their motor....

What about MOTHER nature?? whats so femaleish about nature??

*snip for brevity*

Just one question - how can women be made in the image of God if God is male?????? That very quote you have here states clearly that God made man in his own image (yes, "his" image). In the image of God he created him. Male and female he created them. The word for "man" is generic for humankind - the words for "male" and "female" are not generic but specifically refer to men and women.

As I have said, and I won't repeat myself again - the Bible DOES refer to God as male. I agree with you. That is not in dispute. BUT, but God is spirit. God has no form. God is not a man, God is spirit. The Bible says that also. You could of course argue that this is a "contradiction", but personally I would take it more to say that God is referred to as male because of his characteristics. Your most recent post about men and cars and Mother Earth show me that you do understand this concept of things that are neither male nor female can be given male or female status based on their characteristics.

If you wish to keep on thinking of the Bible-God as male, then that of course is your prerogative. Just don't expect too much from me to do the same :)

~ PA

I guess that the word in Hebrew for him is no sex....
Of course not, that's just silly. As I have said, I agree that the Bible refers to God as a man. It does say so, repeatedly even. BUT it also says that God is spirit. As I said, you could argue a contradiction, and if you wish to consider this "picking and choosing" then so be it.

Just one question - how can women be made in the image of God if God is male???

~ PA

God created MAN 1st and from adam he then created woman...but he made the MALE first and he used part of the male to make the female....so to be fair...how I see it is simple....he created man 1st in HIS image..from that man came woman....if you get what I am saying

And YES PA I KNOW you agree it does make it look as though God is male...and I know you see God in the same way I see God...as neither male or female...

the men that wrote the book of genesis differ from those that wrote other chapters in the bible...and for all we know, they didnt intend for them to be brought together

Edited by Beckys_Mom