Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revealed: what MPs can claim on expense

questionmark

Revealed: what MPs can claim on expenses

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent

Last Updated: 1:28pm GMT 14/03/2008

A secret list giving details of the thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money that MPs can claim to furnish their homes has been published by House of Commons authorities.

The "John Lewis list" was released under the Freedom of Information Act after weeks of pressure.

The list of allowances is used by finance officials to pass or reject MPs' expenses claims for decorating their second homes and buying household items.

Until recently it was kept secret even from MPs who were not given formal guidance on how much they could spend on individual items. It shows that MPs are allowed to spend £10,000 for a kitchen and £6,000 to install a new bathroom.

Air conditioning units, beds, food mixers and rugs are all allowed, while carpets and wood flooring can be bought at £35 per square metre.

The information, which is based on the prices at John Lewis department stores, also includes dates for the introduction of rules barring items including shavers, toothbrushes, bathrobes and toiletries - suggesting that at least one MP attempted to submit such claims.

There was outrage earlier this year when Andrew Walker, the Commons director of resources, refused to make the list public, saying it would encourage MPs to take advantage of the system by putting in claims at the upper limit.

Officially known as the "additional costs claims guide", the "John Lewis list" includes the advice that antique, luxury or premium grade furnishings and fittings are not allowed.

It adds: "Members should avoid purchases which could be seen as extravagant or luxurious."

The Commons authorities said John Lewis was used as a guide because it "came out top of all retail shops" in the February 2007 edition of Which?, on cost, customer service and variety of the goods.

But Matthew Elliott, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "John Lewis is a fine store, but it is hardly the cheapest place to purchase household goods. How many ordinary taxpayers spend £1,500 on a TV and stereo when there are cheaper deals elsewhere?"

David Winnick, the Labour MP, added: "It does look rather expensive for a number of items and obviously the public will say 'Why should John Lewis be the benchmark?'

"The public need to be absolutely reassured that MPs are not exploiting the situation."

Full story, source: The Telegraph

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• stevewinn

• questionmark

• Bill Hill

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a similar post in another thread,

but ****ing hell, the shower of sh** is taking the p***, and treating us like mugs, £10,000 on a kitchen, its no wonder taxes are going up, i say at the next election dont re-elect the MP thats serving now, vote for a different one, if we vote them all out that will send the message, listen to the people, serve the people otherwise your out, because lets face it their having a ****ing laugh with all these two homes and expenses paid for by us the gobsh**es who let them get away with it, myself i'd **** the lot of them off, and start all over again but with everyday people voting on what they get and how much,

there is a similar post in another thread,

but ****ing hell, the shower of sh** is taking the p***, and treating us like mugs, £10,000 on a kitchen, its no wonder taxes are going up, i say at the next election dont re-elect the MP thats serving now, vote for a different one, if we vote them all out that will send the message, listen to the people, serve the people otherwise your out, because lets face it their having a ****ing laugh with all these two homes and expenses paid for by us the gobsh**es who let them get away with it, myself i'd **** the lot of them off, and start all over again but with everyday people voting on what they get and how much,

what he said :yes:

:w00t: got it, lets goto ireland and kick out the irish and only english can go their we will call it "englands glory island" :hmm: anyone anyone anyone any one any one????????????????

:w00t: got it, lets goto ireland and kick out the irish and only english can go their we will call it "englands glory island" :hmm: anyone anyone anyone any one any one????????????????

been tried a few hundred years ago... result: Some displaced person blew the Tory conference in Brighton up... bad idea

Nah no point... once Ireland joined the EU, it appears they've also been swamped with illegal immigrants..

The problem isn't racism, it's the tidal wave of immigrants.

Indepedent

there was an MP on the Radio, saying that, seeing that the politicians might have to give up their expenses, so if people want change we need to do a trade off, by if they drop their expenses they should have their wages increased to £100,000, you know what i mean, these professional politicians claim they're in the job because they want to serve and help the people, well i say lets test this claim, if they are truly there to serve/represent the people then lets drop their wages to £40,000 a year fixed for 5 years, and see how many stick around and then after a while count the number of MP's who have got off the gravy train and gone back to law, lets see their true colours, :angry: