Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Irish Origins of Civilization

crystal sage

Go watch X-Files, seriously. Everything is in there. And Mulder is the Key.

Being Irish myself, I tend to think I just might be related to the Maritians, that is IF they exist, or even existed.... :wacko:

What archaeologists find is part of history. Historians tell what happened, when and where based on what can be found to support their claims.

That's an awfully long sentence, and it loses come of its coherence.

The sentence doesn't loose coherence. Perhaps you do.

Tt there is a whole history of the human race that is "true" or "correct".

What made you assume that I thought that? I had just said that certain countries exagerate intentionally, not because there is an absolute truth that they are missing.

;)

"Half of writing history is hiding the truth"

* Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian.

o Lee Simonson

* Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it.

o Oscar Wilde

* History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, "Why don't you listen to me?" and lets fly with a big stick.

o John W. Campbell Jr

* History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.

o Mark Twain

* History is a set of lies agreed upon

o Napoleon Bonaparte

* History is an angel falling backward into the future.

o Laurie Anderson

* History is but the unrolled scroll of prophecy.

o James A. Garfield

* History is not a particular branch of knowledge, but a particular mode and method of knowledge in other branches.

o Lord Acton

* History is not to be searched for practical lessons, the applicability of which will always be doubtful in view of the inexhaustible novelty of circumstances and combinations of causes, but just this, that the mind acquire a sensitiveness an imaginative range.

o Pieter Geyl

* History is the chronological account of Man.

o Anonymous

* History is the depository of great actions, the witness of what is past, the example and instructor of the present, and monitor to the future.

o Miguel Cervantes

* History is the sum total of things that could have been avoided.

o Konrad Adenauer

* History is waiting to be made as each new opportunity passes before us.

o J. William Jennings II

* History maketh a young man to be old, without either wrinkles or gray hairs,—privileging him with the experience of age, without either the infirmities or inconveniences thereof.

o Thomas Fuller

* History teaches everything, even the future.

o Alphonse de Lamartine

* History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

o Winston Churchill

* It is when the hour of the conflict is over that history comes to a right understanding of the strife, and is ready to exclaim, "Lo, God is here, and we knew him not!"

o Bancroft

* It's not enough to get into history, you also have to get out alive.

o Leonid S. Sukhorukov

* Learn from History as there is no better teacher.

o Th* Anonymous

* Not to know what has been transacted in former times is to continue always a child. If no use is made of the labors of past ages, the world must remain always in the infancy of knowledge.

o Cicero

* The past actually happened. History is what someone took the time to write down.

o A. Whiteney Brown

* To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child.

o Cicero

* The happiest times of humanity are the blank pages in the book of history.

o Leopold von Ranke

* The history of man is a series of conspiracies to win from nature some advantage without paying for it.

o Ralph Waldo Emerson

* The world's history is a divine poem of which the history of every nation is a canto and every man a word. Its strains have been pealing along down the centuries, and though there have been mingled the discords of warring cannon and dying men, yet to the Christian philosopher and historian—the humble listener—there has been a divine melody running through the song which speaks of hope and halcyon days to come.

o James A. Garfield

* There is no history worthy of attention but that of a free people; the history of a people subjected to despotism is only a collection of anecdotes.

o Nicolas Chamfort

* This I hold to be the chief office of history, to rescue virtuous actions from the oblivion to which a want of records would consign them, and that men should feel a dread of being considered infamous in the opinions of posterity, from their depraved expressions and base actions.

o Tacitus

* You cannot possibly understand History without first understanding History's past.

o Dan Bloomfield

* Writing history is like drinking an ocean and p***ing a cupful.

o Gustave Flaubert

* History is always on the move, slowly eroding today’s orthodoxy and making space for yesterday’s heresy.

o International Baccalaureate

* History…is indeed little more than the register of the crime, follies, and misfortune of mankind.

*History is written by the victors.

Winston Churchill quotes

* History is fables agreed upon.

Voltaire quotes

;) Just came across some other quotes.... I forgot how much I enjoy them!!!! :lol:

I have opinions of my own, strong opinions but I don't always agree with them

G. W. Bush

God invented whisky to keep the Irish from ruling the world

Ed McMahon

"God! How men of letters are stupid!"

-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!"

-Last reported words of Karl Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

"To say that a man is made up of certain chemical elements is a satisfactory description only for those who intend to use him as a fertilizer."

- Hermann Joseph Muller (1890-1967)

" Now now, my good man. This is no time to be making enemies." Voltaire on his death bed after being asked by a priest to renounce Satan.

"One day in the future, the REAL history of the world will be known and it will rock the very foundation of existence." Lord_Cronus

"I hate people who know how to do things." Pol Pot, the dictator of Cambodia who executed every intellectual in the country.

"All men are created equal"- Thomas Jefferson, slave owner.

"Do not blame God for having created the tiger, but thank Him for not having given it wings." - proverb

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people we personally dislike."

- Oscar Wilde

"Some people speak from experience; others, from experience, don't speak."

- unknown

"When they took the fourth amendment, I was silent because I don't deal drugs. When they took the sixth amendment, I kept quiet because I know I'm innocent. When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I don't own a gun. Now they've come for the first amendment, and I can't say anything at all."

- Tim Freeman

"In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep."

- Albert Einstein

"Truth would quickly cease to become stranger than fiction, once we got as used to it."

- Henry Louis Mencken

"I do not care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

- Groucho Marx

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

"What's madness but nobility of soul at odds with circumstance?"

- Theodore Roethke

"Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing in it."

- Philip K. Dick

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

- Charles Babbage

"Whilst we have prisons it matters little who occupies the cells."

- George Bernard Shaw

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly."

- Richard Bach

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing."

- Henry Louis Mencken

"A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success."

- Robert Orben

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

- Ronald Reagan

"Nature has never read the Declaration of Independence. It continues to make us unequal."

- Will Durant

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

-Winston Churchill

http://www.historum.com/showthread.php?t=2500

Edited by crystal sage

But then God invented Whiskey so the Irish would not take over the civilized world ;)

Churchill, Winston S.

...man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.

Pavot

• Like 2

Churchill, Winston S.

...man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.

Pavot

:D:lol::tu:

• Like 1

Churchill, Winston S.

Pavot

top gas me baldman

Edited by Showgirl

Thanks, Crystal Sage,

for all that wisdom, some good and some not so imo. People remembered for being "great" might have been in a certain field and because they happened to live at a certain time in a certain place. One such person was Churchill.

Too much at once I 'd say because most people have a short attention span.

I like the history comments. I hope certain persons read it and apply it to their set idea of history.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2008 at 9:10 PM, crystal sage said:

linked-image

Jacob woke from his sleep and said 'Truly the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it…How fearsome is this place! This is no other than the house of God, this is the gate of heaven - (Genesis 28: 16-17)

I am expecting Ireland to be the end destination of the Neanderthals.

Hence, all the ginger people lol.

• Like 1

With new evidence of comet fragment impacts in North America in 10500BC, tales of Atlantis, and signs of habitation one thing makes me curious. Those Irish historical accounts of being invaded by a sea people who historians haven't yet been able to identity.

Did Atlantis invade Ireland in pre-history?

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

With new evidence of comet fragment impacts in North America in 10500BC

Where? 

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Those Irish historical accounts of being invaded by a sea people who historians haven't yet been able to identity.

Genetic evidence points to a migration from Iberia and archaeological evidence shows a trade route. It is called the Atlantic Bronze Age. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Where? 

Genetic evidence points to a migration from Iberia and archaeological evidence shows a trade route. It is called the Atlantic Bronze Age. 

You know where. They found a comet impact site under the Greenland Ice-sheet, and have evidence of ground shock effects at several other locations across North America where comet fragments didnt have enough energy to make it through the ice age glaciers covering North America. There is also evidence in North America (from the same time) of a massive flood from glacial water released by the impact sweeping down across North America.

There are tales in Irish mythologically of Atlantis (it isn't solely limited to Plato). Although the trend is to classify all tales of floods wiping out ancient man as religion.

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

You know where. They found a comet impact site under the Greenland Ice-sheet, and have evidence of ground shock effects at several other locations across North America where comet fragments didnt have enough energy to make it through the ice age glaciers covering North America. There is also evidence in North America (from the same time) of a massive flood from glacial water released by the impact sweeping down across North America.

Link? 

Because my museum looked for evidence of the Younger Dryas impact and I was in the field myself taking cores and sifts. We found none.

As for the floods, we also tracked them. There were many repeated localized smaller ones. Not a big one and the sea levels on the East Coast rose slowly over a period of hundreds of years and the Clovis people in the Northeast changed their lithics and hunting strategies without a break in the timeline. 

The Greenland impact wasn't a comet. It was a Fe Ni meteor and it could date to as long as 1.3 million years ago. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

Link? 

Because my museum looked for evidence of the Younger Dryas impact and I was in the field myself taking cores and sifts. We found none.

As for the floods, we also tracked them. There were many repeated localized smaller ones. Not a big one and the sea levels on the East Coast rose slowly over a period of hundreds of years and the Clovis people in the Northeast changed their lithics and hunting strategies without a break in the timeline. 

The Greenland impact wasn't a comet. It was a Fe Ni meteor and it could date to as long as 1.3 million years ago. 

One of the recent comet fragment impact sites found - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/14/impact-crater-19-miles-wide-found-beneath-greenland-glacier - which was 12000-13000 years ago.

Evidence of ground shock where comet fragments lacked enough energy to penetrate all the way through the ice sheet across North America - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/did-a-comet-hit-earth-12900-years-ago/

Graham Hancock has a good map there showing all proposed sites from craters and ground shock evidence -  https://grahamhancock.com/ancient-cataclysm-hancock/

Clovis People possibly being wiped out by it -  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2383733/A-comet-DID-wipe-North-American-prehistoric-humans-Ice-core-data-suggests-cosmic-impact-killed-Clovis-people.html

Obviously, if there are that many impact or ground shock sites it is reasonable to assume a large amount of sites were also oceanic causing tsunamis. I cannot find the site I originally found saying melted water from the icecap sweep down across North America. But there are all the historical accounts of a global flood too including that of Atlantis.

Now - Please can we have your links?

Edited by RabidMongoose

Graham Hancock has a good map there showing all proposed sites from craters and ground shock evidence -  https://grahamhancock.com/ancient-cataclysm-hancock/

Except he doesn't have a clue about North American geology or archaeology and twisted the whole timeline of the Adena and Fort Ancient Cultures up. 

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

One of the recent comet fragment impact sites found - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/14/impact-crater-19-miles-wide-found-beneath-greenland-glacier - which was 12000-13000 years ago.

It was a Fe Ni meteor. Not a comet and it has not been dated yet.

4 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Except there is a smooth transition between the Clovis and the Debert with no breaks other than a change in strategies. Ice Cores prove nothing about people. Archaeology does.

6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Evidence of ground shock where comet fragments lacked enough energy to penetrate all the way through the ice sheet across North America - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/did-a-comet-hit-earth-12900-years-ago/

There were no nano diamonds recovered in the Pine Barren zones, Which were untouched by the glaciers and unchanged for over 13,000 years. We even sampled the thermokarst basins that the Clovis People camped around. 

Do you want to put something up that's actually peer reviewed? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Except he doesn't have a clue about North American geology or archaeology and twisted the whole timeline of the Adena and Fort Ancient Cultures up. 

It was a Fe Ni meteor. Not a comet and it has not been dated yet.

Except there is a smooth transition between the Clovis and the Debert with no breaks other than a change in strategies. Ice Cores prove nothing about people. Archaeology does.

There were no nano diamonds recovered in the Pine Barren zones, Which were untouched by the glaciers and unchanged for over 13,000 years. We even sampled the thermokarst basins that the Clovis People camped around. 

Do you want to put something up that's actually peer reviewed? 

Where are your links? I have already done far more than you, now its your time to follow the polite rules of debate and produce some evidence.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Where are your links? I have already done far more than you, now its your time to produce some evidence.

@Swede

My links are me. I worked for Smithsonians NMAI and the Cumberland Prehistory Museum for 20 years.  

Swede will provide you the PDFs. He's still has the access. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

@Swede

My links are me. I worked for Smithsonians NMAI and the Cumberland Prehistory Museum for 20 years.  

Swede will provide you the PDFs. He's still has the access. 

You cannot expect us to accept what you say without any links or supporting evidence of any kind when I have linked to several sites. I`m not interested in what you say is your past, anybody can claim anything on the internet. What I would like is at least some links to support your assertions please.

10 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You cannot expect us to accept what you say without any links or supporting evidence of any kind when I have linked to several sites. I`m not interested in what you say is your past, anybody can claim anything on the internet. What I would like is at least some links to support your assertions please.

Rather disingenuous on your part as you are using an article about an unverifiably dated impact crater to support your contention. No such verifiable dating analysis has been performed to support the alleged circa 12,900 BP date which leaves it as baseless speculation. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

@Swede  @Kenemet @jaylemurph @Harte  All know my past and there is a newspaper article about me in Rogues Gallery along with a picture of me lecturing.

I tagged Swede for the PDFs. When I'm done with work I will provide some more links.

The Clovis transition

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285753124_The_transition_from_Paleoindian_to_Archaic_in_the_middle_Tennessee_valley

Glacial flooding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outburst_flood#Glacial_floods_in_North_America_(8,000_to_15,000_years_ago)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

Impact references

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

There are tales in Irish mythologically of Atlantis (it isn't solely limited to Plato). Although the trend is to classify all tales of floods wiping out ancient man as religion.

There are MANY floods that have occurred in North America. One of the largest, that being the Glacial Lake Agassiz-Ojibway flood of circa 6470 BC occurred 3000+ years AFTER both Atlantis’ claimed destruction and the beginning of the Holocene. 

So now you’re making up stuff about Irish mythology as well huh? Tir na Nog and other such mythological places have no verifiable relationship to Atlantis. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Clovis transition below the Great Lakes. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2700903/

• Like 3

Here is an interesting site investigating the comet impacts - https://cometresearchgroup.org/

And from that website 1000s of scientists for it https://cometresearchgroup.org/publications/ and a small number against. Their peer reviewed papers are all linked.

Scroll down and the map matches Graham Hancocks with the exception that it adds an Australian impact field too -  https://cometresearchgroup.org/comets-diamonds-mammoths/#tab-id-2

Edited by RabidMongoose