Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Irish Origins of Civilization

crystal sage

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

.... In Irish historical accounts there is an invasion of their island from a sea faring people.

Ireland is an island. Virtually all peoples who invaded it must be 'seafarers'.

The 'historical accounts' you allude to are by no means historical.

There is an Irish origin myth that mentions giants in Ireland - the Fomorians - but, like all myths, it does not stand up to scholarly analysis and cannot be taken literally.

There is no mention or reference to 'Atlantis' in ancient Irish historical or mythological manuscript writings.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Ireland is an island. Virtually all peoples who invaded it must be 'seafarers'.

The 'historical accounts' you allude to are by no means historical.

There is an Irish origin myth that mentions giants in Ireland - the Fomorians - but, like all myths, it does not stand up to scholarly analysis and cannot be taken literally.

There is no mention or reference to 'Atlantis' in ancient Irish historical or mythological manuscript writings.

Apophenia Ozy!

That's all this is, or maybe confirmation biases mixed with apophenia.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

It's gremlins what did the above. :D

cormac

Hi Cormac

Aren't gremlins English?

jmccr8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danydandan said:

And that Fomoire are real and that Balor was really one of them.

No doubt you've seen the AA/AC bit suggesting that the eye of Balor was some sort of advanced weapons technology?

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Don't know, he had one eye. You need two eyes to have heat vision.

s-l640.jpg

(And yes, that's from a 2-parter where the Avengers fought the Fomor, in Avalon.)

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm just going by my Slaine comics, which is as close to Irish legends I got. In that he opened his helmet and fried the Tuatha De Danann like cornbread. :o

And that's the most satisfying way of frying them, sez I.

Harte

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Clovis People possibly being wiped out by it

1. You are citing a demonstrably incorrect fringe "author" and what are essentially tabloid-level pop-media sources.
  2. There was no "extinction" of the the Clovis culture. This cultural phase is a designation based upon technological aspects. With the shifting environmental conditions of the late Pleistocene and early Holocene the resource base experienced dramatic changes and the associated procurement practices were adapted accordingly. In actuality, from a technical standpoint,  the lithic technologies that overlapped and/or followed Clovis (Folsom, Cumberland, Debert, etc.) were more sophisticated than Clovis itself. This period was then followed by equally sophisticated though somewhat different technologies such as Eden, Angustora, etc. There is also no indication of a population decline. Actually, quite the opposite.

And yes, credible documentation can be provided should your interest prove to be genuine.

Edit: Phrasing.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Why wouldnt I have read it?

Angle-Saxon history isn't the whole story of the British Isles and I am British. I know a lot about Welsh, Cornish, and Irish myths. What about this one from Celtic mythology

Heaven and Earth were great giants, and Heaven lay upon the Earth so that their children were crowded between them, and the children and their mother were unhappy in the darkness. The boldest of the sons led his brothers in cutting up Heaven into many pieces. From his skull they made the firmament. His spilling blood caused a great flood which killed all humans except a single pair, who were saved in a ship made by a beneficent Titan. The waters settled in hollows to become the oceans. The son who led in the mutilation of Heaven was a Titan and became their king, but the Titans and gods hated each other, and the king titan was driven from his throne by his son, who was born a god. That Titan at last went to the land of the departed. The Titan who built the ship, whom some consider to be the same as the king Titan, went there also

There is a great flood in there too. And then there is a Welsh myth 

The lake of Llion burst, flooding all lands. Dwyfan and Dwyfach escaped in a mastless ship with pairs of every sort of living creature. They landed in Prydain (Britain) and repopulated the world.

There are loads of references to a flood from across history (not just after the Bible came along).

Probably has something to do with the fact that practically every major human habitation is on a large body of water, and always has been. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Swede said:

And yes, credible documentation can be provided should your interest prove to be genuine.

I already provided 2 papers. I was ignored. Apparently ice cores tell more than the archaeological record. 

• Like 5

They need to stop coring the ice like that.

Ice is what keeps the global warming away. We need that ice.

If they don't watch out, they're gonna use too much up coring.

We'll reach a tipping point and it'll be over for us.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Harte said:

We need that ice.

I have a big chest freezer in the back. You can keep your share in there.  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I already have a chest freezer.

Works pretty good - I only have to lean over into it for five minutes or so and my chest freezes right up.

Harte

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

I only have to lean over into it for five minutes or so and my chest freezes right up.

Sounds like my son's mother. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Piney said:

I already provided 2 papers. I was ignored. Apparently ice cores tell more than the archaeological record. 

Yes, ignoring additional data does not speak well. That said, ice cores, soils cores, palynology studies, etc., etc., are all valid archaeological data sets and resources. The difficulty arises when the cumulative data is not adequately addressed or misinterpreted.

The ice cores can document and reflect aspects of the environmental conditions during a given period. They do not necessarily speak to the biological system responses to those conditions.

Realize you know the above. Just clarifying for those who may be less familiar with the topic.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2008 at 10:22 AM, crystal sage said:

:lol:B);)

I'm working on it....

LOL.. think of the Evolutionaries... according to them.. we actually started as bacteria.. then became fish... then....

http://www.eadon.com/arena/evolution.php

http://www.wayhome.org/evo4.html

Then there is Panspermia...

but where did they get their makings from????

http://www.xenophilia.com/zb0045.htm

Any Answers???? :)

Sure there are answers.  The issue is how to get to RNA (proto DNA) without the presence of proteins.  There is an answer that fits the conditions of the Earth at the time.  Here is the article:

Synthesis of activated pyrimidine ribonucleotides in prebiotically plausible conditions

From that you have the basis for a self-replicating chemical structure based on the same chemistry that forms the basis of life.  You start not with bacteria, but viruses, which are the most simple life forms, in fact, big hint, they are barely life forms at all, as they have no cell walls, and cells are what define most life.  As the RNA replicates in those primordial conditions, they begin the immense number of tiny incremental steps towards the lifeforms of today.

Now isn't that more plausible than the religious claim that a bearded magic man (i.e. a wizard) is responsible?

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 5

On 4/25/2019 at 5:35 AM, danydandan said:

Apophenia Ozy!

That's all this is, or maybe confirmation biases mixed with apophenia.

All Cellular life came from in the sea.

Atlantis is in the sea.

Therefore all cellular life came from Atlantis.

Syllogisms.  Bravely holding back the progress of science for 24 centuries.

• Like 6

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2008 at 9:10 PM, crystal sage said:

linked-image

Jacob woke from his sleep and said 'Truly the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it…How fearsome is this place! This is no other than the house of God, this is the gate of heaven - (Genesis 28: 16-17)

In pre-history it is known that a huge underwater landslide occurred off the coast of Norway generating a massive tsunami. It is called the Storegga Slide https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide and occurred just over 8000 years ago. It is suggested it wiped out all human life living on what we today called Dogger bank which was the land bridge connecting the British Isles to Europe. 

Evidence of that tsunami exists around the coastal regions of Norway, Iceland, Denmark, and the British Isles. Flood debris has been found in Scotland up to a height of 25 metres and 80km inland. Some info on the tsunami wave can be found on Britannica website here https://www.britannica.com/topic/Storegga-slides

There was also evidence found (about 10 years back and I cannot remember the name of the site to get a link) of stone monuments recovered from Northern Scotland (in the Caledonian area) that have carvings on them which appeared to be a pictograph language carved on them. Those monuments were destroyed in the tsunami and with the recovered chunks there were not enough to ascertain for sure if it was a written language. That controversy might push back the oldest known written language by 3000 years.

I suspect its not the Irish who created civilization but it occurred in the wider region (most of which is now under the North Sea). Those low lying flatlands were supposed to have been the prime lands of North-West Europe for hunting, agriculture, and building upon. Wouldnt it be funny if civilization (and written language) started there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

All Cellular life came from in the sea.

Atlantis is in the sea.

Therefore all cellular life came from Atlantis.

Syllogisms.  Bravely holding back the progress of science for 24 centuries.

I need to quit the internet today...my first thought was about cell phones coming from the ocean and atlantis...they were advanced for their time i guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 2 months later...

It reminds me of the   Red Rain  of Kerala Incident

https://www.microbiologyresearch.org/docserver/fulltext/micro/159/1/107_mic062711.pdf?expires=1567677909&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=68CEB2B226BD831D748AC1CF21942CAC

For a total of three months in the summer of 2001, coloured rain fell intermittently over Kerala, Southern India. The rain was characterized by red pigmented particles that were initially characterized as Trentepohlia algae, fungal spores, desert sand or even red blood cells, but were shown to have structural features consistent with bacterial spores (Louis & Kumar, 2006). The inability of those authors to detect DNA by conventional staining methods prompted them to suggest that the red rain cells might have an extraterrestrial origin

It is also evident that the removal of red pigment allows these cells to fluoresce at a wide range of excitation wavelengths, whilst untreated cells are completely refractive. Although the nature of the red compounds is still uncertain, it is clear from this investigation that these compounds firmly intercalate deep into the thick outer layers of these cells, which may facilitate resistance to hostile environments. The results presented here do not make the origin of the red rain cells of Kerala any clearer, but do clearly indicate the presence of DNA, and offer an explanation for the negative staining results reported by Louis & Kumar (2006).

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/420610/the-extraordinary-tale-of-red-rain-comets-and-extraterrestrials/

Today Louis, Wickramasinghe and others publish some extraordinary claims about these red cells. They say that the cells clearly reproduce at a temperature of 121 degrees C. “Under these conditions daughter cells appear within the original mother cells and the number of cells in the samples increases with length of exposure to 121 degrees C,” they say. By contrast, the cells are inert at room temperature.

That makes them highly unusual, to say the least. The spores of some extremophiles can survive these kinds of temperatures and then reproduce at lower temperatures but nothing behaves like this at these temperatures, as far as we know.

This is an extraordinary claim that will need to be independently verified before it will be more broadly accepted.

Edited by crystal sage

On 4/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, Piney said:

I have a big chest freezer in the back. You can keep your share in there.  :yes:

I call my chest freezer "The Witch's Tit".  I keep meaning to get a brass plaque to that effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/24/2019 at 2:39 PM, danydandan said:

Don't know, he had one eye. You need two eyes to have heat vision.

Sooooo, he had luke-warm vision?

• Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, RabidMongoose said:

The Irish have their own version of Noah`s Ark in their ancient mythology which is almost identical to the Bible one.

No, no we don't. Many of the old myths and stories were corrupted by Christian ideas when Christianity destroyed oops, "saved" Irish culture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, crystal sage said:

It is also evident that the removal of red pigment allows these cells to fluoresce at a wide range of excitation wavelengths, whilst untreated cells are completely refractive. Although the nature of the red compounds is still uncertain, it is clear from this investigation that these compounds firmly intercalate deep into the thick outer layers of these cells, which may facilitate resistance to hostile environments. The results presented here do not make the origin of the red rain cells of Kerala any clearer, but do clearly indicate the presence of DNA, and offer an explanation for the negative staining results reported by Louis & Kumar (2006).

Dust from the Gobi Desert, and yes it would contain microorganisms. 

• Like 4

On 9/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

No, no we don't. Many of the old myths and stories were corrupted by Christian ideas when Christianity destroyed oops, "saved" Irish culture.

Irish 'mythology' doesn't predate Christianity, not anything we know of anyway, Ireland grabbed Christianity with both hands and forgot anything that went before a 1000 years later monks invent one, Irish christian missionaries were constantly trying to convert the pagan English who often reverted back to the old ways when their king died, Anglo Saxons had lots of different gods kings would claim to trace their linage back to Wodan, it was probably the churches way of saying you could have a pagan past and still be a Christian.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, hetrodoxly said:

Irish 'mythology' doesn't predate Christianity, not anything we know of anyway, Ireland grabbed Christianity with both hands and forgot anything that went before a 1000 years later monks invent one, Irish christian missionaries were constantly trying to convert the pagan English who often reverted back to the old ways when their king died, Anglo Saxons had lots of different gods kings would claim to trace their linage back to Wodan, it was probably the churches way of saying you could have a pagan past and still be a Christian.

There was a deep pre-Christian group of Irish... the Druids https://www.ancient-origins.net/opinion-guest-authors/thoth-s-storm-new-evidence-ancient-egyptians-ireland-005187

https://aliisaacstoryteller.com/2014/12/08/irish-mythology-the-dagdas-cauldron/

Celtic Expansion in the East
By tracing the movements of the Celts, we may be able to glean some information about the potential history of the Gundestrup cauldron. Trade and migrations had been taking place across vast distances between the east and west well before the creation of the cauldron. During the “great Celtic migration” in 279 BCE, the Celts from the west invaded the Balkans, which included Thrace (Bulgaria and parts of Turkey and Greece). From there they moved into Anatolia (Turkey). They established themselves in upper Anatolia, which the locals would call Galatia. Those Celts became known as the Galatians (Gauls). Celtic presence in Galatia was long-lived, and because the Galatians were adept warriors, many regional forces hired Celts to fight battles in the Thracian region and into West Asia Mino

https://www.historicmysteries.com/gundestrup-cauldron/

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ireland/articles/7-prehistoric-sites-to-visit-around-ireland/

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/bru-na-boinne/myth-and-folklore/

3 hours ago, crystal sage said:

There was a deep pre-Christian group of Irish... the Druids https://www.ancient-origins.net/opinion-guest-authors/thoth-s-storm-new-evidence-ancient-egyptians-ireland-005187

https://aliisaacstoryteller.com/2014/12/08/irish-mythology-the-dagdas-cauldron/

Celtic Expansion in the East
By tracing the movements of the Celts, we may be able to glean some information about the potential history of the Gundestrup cauldron. Trade and migrations had been taking place across vast distances between the east and west well before the creation of the cauldron. During the “great Celtic migration” in 279 BCE, the Celts from the west invaded the Balkans, which included Thrace (Bulgaria and parts of Turkey and Greece). From there they moved into Anatolia (Turkey). They established themselves in upper Anatolia, which the locals would call Galatia. Those Celts became known as the Galatians (Gauls). Celtic presence in Galatia was long-lived, and because the Galatians were adept warriors, many regional forces hired Celts to fight battles in the Thracian region and into West Asia Mino

https://www.historicmysteries.com/gundestrup-cauldron/

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ireland/articles/7-prehistoric-sites-to-visit-around-ireland/

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/bru-na-boinne/myth-and-folklore/

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me? the ape skull is interesting, do you have a copy of the carbon dating and where it was done, who was the archaeologist who dug it and what did their report say about it, we do know their was a lot of contact between England and the middle east during this period.