Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Irish Origins of Civilization

crystal sage

4 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

One of my all time favorite voices, Grace Slick.

Mine too.

If she could of just stayed away from sawed off shotguns and police officers she would've been better off. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

Yes, I know. I can smell your bullscheisse from here. No Irish mythology connects to Plato’s Atlantis, which is the only legitimate Atlantis to be discussed. And since it’s known that the Irish share a Haplogroup R1b connection with Iberians before much later migrations your speculation can be summarily dismissed do to lack of evidence. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182057/

cormac

They have the flood myths too though. I`m dont think we are talking about the same invasion.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Mine too.

If she could of just stayed away from sawed off shotguns and police officers she would've been better off. :lol:

God!

That made me laugh, I know I shouldn't but ..........feck it.

• Haha 2

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

They have the flood myths too though. I`m dont think we are talking about the same invasion.

Really? Care to elaborate on these flood myths.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I don’t think you’re talking about reality. Myths are, at best, evidence of beliefs and NOT FACT. Try providing some facts. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Popularity doesnt mean someone is right.

You might what to consider who you surround yourself with too, its known people become like the crowd they hang out with lol.

The current crowd think if they picture themselves it makes them right. Imagine what kind of world we would live in if that was true haha.

I agree on popularity not being a sign of the truth, most of the time. I have nothing to consider, as it's usually just me and my shadow. I imagine a lot of things, but I cannot imagine a world of shadows being without contentions. It's usually who casts the longest shadow that wins.

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

I don’t think you’re talking about reality. Myths are, at best, evidence of beliefs and NOT FACT. Try providing some evidence. 

cormac

The Irish have their own version of Noah`s Ark in their ancient mythology which is almost identical to the Bible one.

• Like 1

The Irish have their own version of Noah`s Ark in their ancient mythology which is almost identical to the Bible one.

No, they don’t. Try providing textual evidence from BEFORE Ireland experienced Christianity. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I saw that in my Slaine comics. But nowhere else. 

But Slaine's boats flew. :yes:

• Like 1

Over the past 20 odd years I've probably read every book related to Celtic mythology. I've never seen anything with resemblance to Noah's ark.

The only thing that seems to have happened is Celtic and Christian mythology got muddled together and somehow Ham got interjected into Irish mythology. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

No, they don’t. Try providing textual evidence from BEFORE Ireland experienced Christianity. 

cormac

Okay, time to make you look small.

Foras Feasa Ar Aireann says that a daughter of Cain settled Ireland with her tribe. Her people were there until a plague wiped them out where upon Ireland remained empty until after the great flood.

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Foras Feasa Ar Aireann says that a daughter of Cain settled Ireland with her tribe. Her people were there until a plague wiped them out where upon Ireland remained empty until after the great flood.

Wow. 

Have you read Lebor Gabála Érenn too? 

You understand that Geoffrey Keating took all sources in part one of Foras from ancient Celtic mythology which in the 1600 was so muddled with Christianity that was impossible to separate the two?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Keating wrote that in 1604, just some 400+ years ago. It's the result of Christianized elements tacked on to Irish beliefs. DUH!

You failed again.

cormac

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Wow. 

You understand that Geoffrey Keating took all sources in part one of Foras from ancient Celtic mythology which in the 1600 was so muddled with Christianity that was impossible to separate the two?

He probably thinks Lebor Gabala Erenn, Annals of the Four Masters, etcetra are ALL historically accurate. :lol:

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

He probably thinks Lebor Gabala Erenn, Annals of the Four Masters, etcetra are ALL historically accurate. :lol:

cormac

And that Fomoire are real and that Balor was really one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Wow. 

Why wouldnt I have read it?

Angle-Saxon history isn't the whole story of the British Isles and I am British. I know a lot about Welsh, Cornish, and Irish myths. What about this one from Celtic mythology

Heaven and Earth were great giants, and Heaven lay upon the Earth so that their children were crowded between them, and the children and their mother were unhappy in the darkness. The boldest of the sons led his brothers in cutting up Heaven into many pieces. From his skull they made the firmament. His spilling blood caused a great flood which killed all humans except a single pair, who were saved in a ship made by a beneficent Titan. The waters settled in hollows to become the oceans. The son who led in the mutilation of Heaven was a Titan and became their king, but the Titans and gods hated each other, and the king titan was driven from his throne by his son, who was born a god. That Titan at last went to the land of the departed. The Titan who built the ship, whom some consider to be the same as the king Titan, went there also

There is a great flood in there too. And then there is a Welsh myth 

The lake of Llion burst, flooding all lands. Dwyfan and Dwyfach escaped in a mastless ship with pairs of every sort of living creature. They landed in Prydain (Britain) and repopulated the world.

There are loads of references to a flood from across history (not just after the Bible came along).

26 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Hi Rabid

Do you mean this fiction?

Cessair - Wikipedia

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

And that Fomoire are real and that Balor was really one of them.

Didn't he have Superman's heat vision? :huh:

• Haha 1

So now apparently late 13th century POST-Christianized Ireland texts qualify as historically accurate documents. How embarassing. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Didn't he have Superman's heat vision? :huh:

Don't know, he had one eye. You need two eyes to have heat vision.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Why wouldnt I have read it?

Angle-Saxon history isn't the whole story of the British Isles and I am British. I know a lot about Welsh, Cornish, and Irish myths. What about this one from Celtic mythology

Heaven and Earth were great giants, and Heaven lay upon the Earth so that their children were crowded between them, and the children and their mother were unhappy in the darkness. The boldest of the sons led his brothers in cutting up Heaven into many pieces. From his skull they made the firmament. His spilling blood caused a great flood which killed all humans except a single pair, who were saved in a ship made by a beneficent Titan. The waters settled in hollows to become the oceans. The son who led in the mutilation of Heaven was a Titan and became their king, but the Titans and gods hated each other, and the king titan was driven from his throne by his son, who was born a god. That Titan at last went to the land of the departed. The Titan who built the ship, whom some consider to be the same as the king Titan, went there also

There is a great flood in there too. And then there is a Welsh myth 

The lake of Llion burst, flooding all lands. Dwyfan and Dwyfach escaped in a mastless ship with pairs of every sort of living creature. They landed in Prydain (Britain) and repopulated the world.

There are loads of references to a flood from across history (not just after the Bible came along).

Hi Rabid

My dad told me a story about when he worked as a blacksmith at a pow camp and that there was a shortage of meat. One evening he and some of the boys were playing poker and drinking some brew that they had made with a still that some of the pows had built and he had to go to the outhouse. Well as he was walking down the path he saw a deer and chased after it thinking that they could have some fresh meat but had no weapons so chased it on foot. he said he had to run a half a mile with his finger poked up the deer's ass before he could push it in far enough to hook his finger and turn the deer inside out.:lol:

True story:whistle:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

So now apparently late 13th century POST-Christianized Ireland texts qualify as historically accurate documents. How embarassing. 

cormac

The original version of that myth is probably long gone, however it's very similar to a story how a Giants body was used to create the world.  Nothing is mentioned of a flood, only that his blood was used to create the oceans and lakes. I suspect the floor part was added via Christian influences, but obviously that's impossible to prove.

• Like 3

It's gremlins what did the above. :D

cormac

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Don't know, he had one eye. You need two eyes to have heat vision.

I'm just going by my Slaine comics, which is as close to Irish legends I got. In that he opened his helmet and fried the Tuatha De Danann like cornbread. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4