Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

America drops to #2 Largest Economy.

Atheist God

Debt vs GDP is fixed at 3%, some countries run larger debts, about 3,4% (which strictly speaking is illegal under the terms of accession), but even so , considerably less than the USA debt vs GDP ration

Yes, I'm aware of the rules for debt for the nations in the E.U. now can you please tell me what the debt % of GDP of the E.U. was for 2007?

Woah - steady on.

The 3% figure is for government deficit over the year vs GDP, not accumulated debt vs GDP.

I don't know the figure for Europe, but in the UK, the 2007 deficit was about 2.5%, which doesn't sound worrying, does it ?

HOWEVER.

The overall UK general government debt for 2007 was 42.6% of GDP, which paints a slightly more worrying, to say nothing of terrifying, picture.

(source is the government National Statistics website.)

Meow Purr.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• Atheist God

• stevewinn

• questionmark

Woah - steady on.

The 3% figure is for government deficit over the year vs GDP, not accumulated debt vs GDP.

I don't know the figure for Europe, but in the UK, the 2007 deficit was about 2.5%, which doesn't sound worrying, does it ?

HOWEVER.

The overall UK general government debt for 2007 was 42.6% of GDP, which paints a slightly more worrying, to say nothing of terrifying, picture.

Meow Purr.

:tu:

Woah - steady on.

HOWEVER.

Meow Purr.

Its seems like no one can say what the nation debt as a % of GDP is for the E.U.

Its seems like no one can say what the nation debt as a % of GDP is for the E.U.

The UK is part of the EU....

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/pls/porta...2006-EN-AP1.PDF

as an EU medium, it seems to be 68%

Edited by questionmark

are you sure questionmark 68% ?

The link I provided is from Eurostat... the European Statistic Agency.. if they don't know I don't know who would. But there are gigantic discrepancies between countries from 400% of GDP in Greece to 15% in Ireland.

I just found the summary of the report on PDF ... if you want to I can send it to you. PM me an address.

Edited by questionmark

Maybe this topic would be more suited for a mystery section of U.M.

It is not a mystery. Since the introduction of the Euro all European participants had to exercise fiscal discipline, both in term of total debt and in terms of the new debts countries can incur in. Unless there is something unforeseen by 2030 all have to be debt free by multilateral agreement.

For example, new debts are to be avoided, but if need be they are not to surpass 3% of GDP, and so on.

Yes and some countries lied, like Greece. I have researched this for about a day, a few months ago and most of the reports put the nation debt % GDP close to or a little over the U.S.

Yes and some countries lied, like Greece. I have researched this for about a day, a few months ago and most of the reports put the nation debt % GDP close to or a little over the U.S.

It was never really... here we pay taxes (well me both here and the US...) :rolleyes:

No matter where I look, I cant find any other data for the Eurozone than this:

Government debt

(million euro)

2003 5 186 542

2004 5 427 970

2005 5 677 221

2006 5 801 886

% of GDP

2003 69.1

2004 69.6

2005 70.3

2006 68.6

Source: Eurostat

I agreed with your comment about terrorism, but when our cities are full of non productive people getting a check from the government, single mothers, children without parents, and HIV or hepatitis C patient too sick to work ,these two sickness (alone) are rampant in our today cities and guess who is paying the bills?we the tax payers we have to pay for all this, this is not helping at all is a huge hole in the nation's budget. OUR jails are full, 1.1 million of Americans are in Federal Institutions. Not talking about the population in State Institutions or Marshals , We are the only country that I know we put the illegal immigrant in Jail ???,and we keep them in there, in a standard of living BETTER than the regular middle class Americans the rest of the countries in the world well, they send their illegals back to their country in a jiffy, DEPORTATION NOT INCARCERATION , ( and I am not talking about the little Mexican guy who came to this country to clean toilets and cut your grass) we have Russians, French, Germans, Romanians, etc. This is a 1.1 million NO-producing people in this country, and the tax payer? well we are paying the bills, They work very little in Jail, is not like in the 30's and 40's they don't even produce their own food anymore,. Instead it cost the tax payer,#3.30 a day to keep a criminal alive ( no Medical Expenses included). In top of that our population is coming down , abortion is killing Americans like never before, the practicing abortionist make this so easy and available to the women in our days. When a woman for whatever reason have an abortion she probably is going to have and average of 2 to 3 abortions more in her reproductive life maybe even more. This are American children destroyed, these children belong to America and to the world . Also our young people in their prime, are dying overseas young man and young women are dying ,I don't know if you noticed in our cities the Low percent of people between 20-30 years old, I call that "the Missing Breeding Stock" in top of that the majority of young people are not getting married, they are too busy having fun, the culture changed and is telling our young to stay in an adolescent stage is good, so they are doing this. One out of three American children are born to a single American mother with or without the economical help of a man, dont tell me this is not affecting the Country because I won't believe it. One out of three children is from a Divorced couple. Don't tell me the poor Morals or the Lack of it is not makinf us weak ? In top of that the Industries are going to China where cheap labor is found, or should I say payed slavery. I agreed we are wasting billions in this war. But we wasted millions in other wars before!!!, but the country had a strong Christian background then, and this was a strong base for the Society, even with the Vietnam war we had a strong culture then. Now our morals are down, the population can not replace itself, or is doing it with Non Americans, the Young America is not used to work, and the Older American are super overweight watching stupid TV , 70% of all American suffers a degreed of drug addiction, ( I am no talking about the illegal drugs here) and or have some kind of Alcoholic ( I dont know the percentage tho but I am telling you is not low), and 57% believe everything the Media tell them to believe, reading is down, even when the country still produce and sell more books than the REST of the world together, ( that something the Chinese don't do, Reading!! but they are catching up on this too, European they have a long way to go with this, but English people they are reader alright). ,IF we don't go back to the basis, if we don't bring Morals back we are doomed, if we don't go back to mother and father, and children families we are doomed , If we do not replace the population with children of American back ground and keep the children out of Institutions. we are doomed, if we do not stop abortion from killing our citizen, we are doomed, and if we do not stop future wars we are doomed, If we don't stop wasting money in credit cards to keep up withe the Johnson, we are doomed. I agreed this war put us in the RED, we were there before , But the difference now is we don't have the strength to get out of the hole, do not blame the government because the government do what we want for them to do. And last a question, Who kill the electric car? Do you know we have an electric Car produced by GM so efficient that made the Oil companies worried and they made GM to destroyed them. Watch the video! let's go back to to the 50's culture.

I don't think it is the personal morals that are taking us down, it is the morals of those in high office that is bring us down. Fighting two wars the way we are is destroying our economy. I think that was the terrorist planned all a long. Goat us in to a world wide battle with terrorism and drain our economy down to nothing. That is how we won the cold war. We got Russian to spend great amounts of money trying to keep up with us until it bankrupted them. The terrorist are doing the same thing, but they don't have to spend large amounts of cash, they hit fast and cheap, then just run and hide and we spend billions trying to get them. Europe didn't buy into it and now their economy is on top.
Edited by greenboy

And last a question, Who kill the electric car? Do you know we have an electric Car produced by GM so efficient that made the Oil companies worried and they made GM to destroyed them. Watch the video! let's go back to to the 50's culture.

Low sales killed the electric car, sales of it was not enough to keep producing it.

GM would not give a hoot to what an Oil Company wants if a product is selling and profitable.

Low sales killed the electric car, sales of it was not enough to keep producing it.

GM would not give a hoot to what an Oil Company wants if a product is selling and profitable.

This is not true at all.

The electric plug in car that GM made was never mass produced and was only sold as a test in very limited quantities. With no explanation at all GM seized the cars from the owners and destroyed them burying their parts in the middle of a desert somewhere. The owners of the cars were never told by GM why their cars were taken away from them.

Since oil companies and car companies business is integrated in many ways it is not a far stretch to think that pressure was put on them and this is why they abandoned the electric car.

This is not true at all.

The electric plug in car that GM made was never mass produced and was only sold as a test in very limited quantities. With no explanation at all GM seized the cars from the owners and destroyed them burying their parts in the middle of a desert somewhere. The owners of the cars were never told by GM why their cars were taken away from them.

Since oil companies and car companies business is integrated in many ways it is not a far stretch to think that pressure was put on them and this is why they abandoned the electric car.

The gov't mandated that 2% of the vehicles they produce has to be with zero emission. After 2 years GM told the govt it can't keep producing something that is not selling, you just won't acept the fact that consumers did not like the electric cars in it's current technology. I bet if it had a range of 300 miles per 20 minutes of charge it would have sold better.

Then Toyota came out with the Hybrid, it sold and most manufactureres are producing it now.

The gov't mandated that 2% of the vehicles they produce has to be with zero emission. After 2 years GM told the govt it can't keep producing something that is not selling, you just won't acept the fact that consumers did not like the electric cars in it's current technology. I bet if it had a range of 300 miles per 20 minutes of charge it would have sold better.

Then Toyota came out with the Hybrid, it sold and most manufactureres are producing it now.

Hybrids are a joke and I wouldn't believe everything you hear GM did not cancel the electric car due to low sales because it was not mass produced it was only made available in very few locations and production stopped after they made a target amount for the test market.

Sales did indeed do well and to this day it is unknown as to why the car was seized from the owners.

What was wrong with letting people who already paid for their cars keep them especially since everyone who had one loved it.

The cars were also quite efficient as well and the technology used would have only got better over time.

Fact is GM never tried to market the car to a mass market, it was never advertised so unless you went to a dealership looking specifically for an electric car you would have likely not heard of them.

Hybrids are a joke and I wouldn't believe everything you hear GM did not cancel the electric car due to low sales because it was not mass produced it was only made available in very few locations and production stopped after they made a target amount for the test market.

Sales did indeed do well and to this day it is unknown as to why the car was seized from the owners.

What was wrong with letting people who already paid for their cars keep them especially since everyone who had one loved it.

The cars were also quite efficient as well and the technology used would have only got better over time.

Fact is GM never tried to market the car to a mass market, it was never advertised so unless you went to a dealership looking specifically for an electric car you would have likely not heard of them.

Hybrid a joke? Well, what a joke to you is selling well. And what is not a joke to you is not selling well. Let me see if you can figure that out. ;)

There are still electric cars being sold.

So, why is it not all over then? By the way, even Honda tried selling electric cars and no sucess either.

What you are doing is insisting a product that consumer does not want, and then comes up with conspiracies or tabloid stories instead of simply accepting that it did not sell as you thought it would.

Edited by AROCES

Hybrid a joke? Well, what a joke to you is selling well. And what is not a joke to you is not selling well. Let me see if you can figure that out. ;)

There are still electric cars being sold.

So, why is it not all over then? By the way, even Honda tried selling electric cars and no sucess either.

What you are doing is insisting a product that consumer does not want, and then comes up with conspiracies or tabloid stories instead of simply accepting that it did not sell as you thought it would.

It has nothing to do with conspiracies at all GM simply did not want this car to do well because it was cheap, now they won't start making them again even though there is a serious demand... there is no logic behind what you say at all.

Please post some sources.

It has nothing to do with conspiracies at all GM simply did not want this car to do well because it was cheap, now they won't start making them again even though there is a serious demand... there is no logic behind what you say at all.

Then why did they even build it and invested on it? See how little you understand commerce, stop reading tabloids.

Source? Just look around you and there is no demand for it.

When the Hybrid first came out, there was awaiting period for the demand was high.

I never heard of a waiting period for electric cars because of high demand when it got introduced inspite of media excitement about it.

You are believing in something that isn't so.

Edited by AROCES

:lol:

Aroces doesnt do that...sources, facts, nah...He just posts opinions.

Then why did they even build it and invested on it? See how little you understand commerce, stop reading tabloids.

Source? Just look around you and there is no demand for it.

When the Hybrid first came out, there was awaiting period for the demand was high.

I never heard of a waiting period for electric cars because of high demand when it got introduced inspite of media excitement about it.

You are believing in something that isn't so.

Sources please.

:lol:

Aroces doesnt do that...sources, facts, nah...He just posts opinions.

Supply and demand need no source.

Just go to a car dealer and ask if they have any electric car or hybrid. :tu:

Edited by AROCES

Sources please.

Same with you, get a Sunday paper and check the Autmotive section.

See if you find any elecrtic car sales bonanza going on.

Same with you, get a Sunday paper and check the Autmotive section.

See if you find any elecrtic car sales bonanza going on.

Electric vehicles are illegal to drive here... Wish this wasn't the case but it is.

Again cite some sources for your original claim or simply ****.