Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would-Be Millionaires Leave Large Lottery

goalienan

TAMPA, Fla....The Florida Lottery has made a lot of millionaires - some who don't even know it.

The Lottery says nearly $122 million in prizes have gone unclaimed since the games started in 1988. Winners have six months to claim prizes.

The largest unclaimed payout was a $50 million Lotto ticked sold in a South Florida market in 2003. The rest of the five largest unclaimed jackpots aren't chomp change either - ranging between $10-$20 million.

Most of the unclaimed winnings benefit state schools...The rest goes back into the lottery till.

March seems to be the month when luck develops amnesia...Tickets for three of Florida's largest unclaimed jackpots - a combined $85 million - were sold in March.

WFTV.com

Wow, can you imagine finding out you were a past winner and can't collect..I wonder if the fact that Florida has so many tourists has anything to do with it..Buy a ticket, fly home and forget about it....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goalienan

• ~ MacDDT ~

• _Nyx_

• Legatus Legionis

Top Posters In This Topic

what a waste.. If I was the one who had won. I would claim my prize the next day or right away. :D

You'd think with such large payouts, folks would double check...surely they'd remember buying a ticket upon hearing the money has yet to be claimed.. or maybe they just live under rocks like I do :P

That would be hilarious if some winner was in jail and for obvious reasons forgot that he even had a ticket sitting at home

If I'm not mistaken, in my State you have one year to claim your money... :)

forgot a word ;)

Edited by goalienan

If I'm not mistaken, in my State you have one year to claim your money... :)

forgot a word ;)

I think in most of North America you have one year to claim

I guess winners in Florida can't handle too much too soon.

"Redd Foxx - "I'm com'in Elizebeth!!!"

I think in most of North America you have one year to claim

Maybe, like Florida, there are just a few that give six months....I think I'd claim it right away, I'm great at losing things :)

I never buy a ticket i don't triple check, but at least some of the unclaimed mayo goes to state schools!