Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the mix of christianity , politics and hate

Lt_Ripley

Last week, a secret recording emerged of a disturbing speech by Oklahoma Representative Sally Kern stating that homosexuality is a bigger threat to our nation than "terrorism or Islam." Rep. Kern has refused to apologize for her remarks. And it seems she has no love for other religions as well saying "not all lifestyles are equal just like not all religions are equal"

and please no ' she's not a real christian cop out.' I've seen too many here who feel the same or 'love the sinner hate the sin' BS .

when are christians (and other religions ) going to grow up ?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• BlindMessiah

• IamsSon

• Lt_Ripley

Last week, a secret recording emerged of a disturbing speech by Oklahoma Representative Sally Kern stating that homosexuality is a bigger threat to our nation than "terrorism or Islam." Rep. Kern has refused to apologize for her remarks. And it seems she has no love for other religions as well saying "not all lifestyles are equal just like not all religions are equal"

and please no ' she's not a real christian cop out.' I've seen too many here who feel the same or 'love the sinner hate the sin' BS .

Looks like Freedom of Speech in action. I applaud her for not apologizing. I may or may not agree with her stance, but I served in the U.S. Army to guarantee her right to express her beliefs.

Just from what you're saying it sounds like you do not think she should have the right to say this because you don't agree with it. Is that right?

There is NO such thing as freedom from religion. As citizens in a democratically-based republic each and everyone of us has the right to use whatever values and views we feel are correct in choosing how we will interact with the political arena. If you don't like it, find yourself a nice little communist or dictatorial country with whose state-mandated views you agree and go there.

Edited by IamsSon

There is NO such thing as freedom from religion.

How about science, education and democracy...I'm free from religion unlike the middle east or your views of the west

Looks like Freedom of Speech in action. I applaud her for not apologizing. I may or may not agree with her stance, but I served in the U.S. Army to guarantee her right to express her beliefs.

I totally agree. What she said is completely stupid and unfounded, but she does not have to apologize for it, not to me at least. I find it offensive yes, but what I find even more offensive are people who try to stifle free speech. I'm sure the homosexuals of America will not be losing sleep over this comment, so who is there to apologize to other than the overactive PC group.

There is NO such thing as freedom from religion. As citizens in a democratically-based republic each and everyone of us has the right to use whatever values and views we feel are correct in choosing how we will interact with the political arena. If you don't like it, find yourself a nice little communist or dictatorial country with whose state-mandated views you agree and go there.

Freedom from religion means it's not in your face wherever you go, and I think the west has that. That's one of the failings of democracy, people do not assess candidates objectively. If they did maybe they'd throw out the political awful system where candidates are celebrities who get elected to a position where they abuse their powers and act like they're kings in a feudal society.

Freedom from religion means it's not in your face wherever you go, and I think the west has that. That's one of the failings of democracy, people do not assess candidates objectively. If they did maybe they'd throw out the political awful system where candidates are celebrities who get elected to a position where they abuse their powers and act like they're kings in a feudal society.
Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen

Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen

I know, we bounce around from one ineffective system to another, never finding the right one, just finding one that sort of works in the current place and time.

I know of no other religions besides christianty that does this. I'm not saying all christians do this these are the same people who believe that this nation was based on christians vaules. Anyone that thinks like her & people like her are stupid.

You get what you vote for. People vote for Christian right canidates and this is who these people are. Do the research before you vote.

You get what you vote for. People vote for Christian right canidates and this is who these people are. Do the research before you vote.

Would anyone vote at all if they actually looked into candidates?

I know, we bounce around from one ineffective system to another, never finding the right one, just finding one that sort of works in the current place and time.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

Sir Winston Churchill

When really.. our government is more of a republic then a democracy.

And since she has the freedom of speach to say something idiotic... I do as well to say.. she's an idiot.

Just from what you're saying it sounds like you do not think she should have the right to say this because you don't agree with it. Is that right?

When you're hurting others by your remarks, and then refuse to apologize, you have problems. I don't care what you believe, but you and I both know that the remarks she made probably made alot of homosexual people feel really bad. It's not about simply expressing her views. Sure, she can say her religion is above hers, and she has a right, just like I have a right to say she's ignorant and stupid for saying such a thing, but when others feelings come into play, please keep it to your God dam- self.

Sure, you can say it might not of hurt the homosexuals, but who's to say? When you say something that can possibly hurt someone, don't say it. I could start saying bad things about a specific race and start yelling all kinds of horrible things about them. Then I can throw the same card as others, "I'm sure they won't be too hurt by it".

This woman makes a new low. Well, I take that back. At least she's not Shirley Phelps.

Edited by ShaunZero

yes she has the right to say what she wants just like I can say people who think like her are ****in morons.... but free speech aside..

it's the fact that her fanatical religious drives are integrated with our government and into law making. That is the line of crossing I disagree with. you can religiously believe what you want but you have no right in letting that belief make law and decisions for others who may not agree with that belief.

her religious opinion has no place in politics. no place in running this country.

ps ---- and yet I put up a pic that says ' Jesus saves by clipping coupons and saving wisely' and I'm told to take it down because I offend ? where is my free speech ?

how fast would christians be howling had she said " christianity is nothing more than myth. Jesus never existed and followers are not mentally ballanced ?"

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Well, I do agree, that she has the right to freely express herself. I do agree with you Lt. Ripley, she is wrong and she has no idea about what she is saying. I really hope no one takes her seriously.

Like a couple here has said, that she has a right to freely express herself, as we have a right freely express our feelings about her words right back at her. Then I would think, one should realize the good and the bad of the right to express yourself. One can say something negative to you, but you have a right to say something negative back at her, and if she doesn't like that, well, then she may have learned something!

IAmsSon did make a good point, I believe, people fight for her right to do this. He served the Army, and my husband is serving the Air Force, so she can do that, just both men is serving for you to rebuttal. I think that is also important to realize.

Now, here is a different point of view, I noticed while viewing and listening to the video. Didn't the video make a point to say, that the senator thought she was speaking to only 50 people? How is it crossed line between church and state, when she thought she was hiding her feelings with only 50 people? It just so happened someone was secretly taping her. I assuming, that is. I mean, maybe she feels she has to hide, and we are the better because we don't think such things, and don't need to hide? I hope you understand what I mean by this.

I believe so many christians are filled with so much hate <--freedom of speech...now do you WISH to applaud ME too IAMS?? after all its a belief I hold..

The woman shows HATE and you applaud her, then as far as I am concerned you are just as bad as she is...showing hate is what Jesus taught??? hmmmm IAMS you do know how to bring the side down

If this is what people turn out like for following Jesus...I say NO THANK YOU...I got morals..people that show hate and applaud them for not apologizing are just as bad....

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Well, I do agree, that she has the right to freely express herself. I do agree with you Lt. Ripley, she is wrong and she has no idea about what she is saying. I really hope no one takes her seriously.

Like a couple here has said, that she has a right to freely express herself, as we have a right freely express our feelings about her words right back at her. Then I would think, one should realize the good and the bad of the right to express yourself. One can say something negative to you, but you have a right to say something negative back at her, and if she doesn't like that, well, then she may have learned something!

IAmsSon did make a good point, I believe, people fight for her right to do this. He served the Army, and my husband is serving the Air Force, so she can do that, just both men is serving for you to rebuttal. I think that is also important to realize.

Now, here is a different point of view, I noticed while viewing and listening to the video. Didn't the video make a point to say, that the senator thought she was speaking to only 50 people? How is it crossed line between church and state, when she thought she was hiding her feelings with only 50 people? It just so happened someone was secretly taping her. I assuming, that is. I mean, maybe she feels she has to hide, and we are the better because we don't think such things, and don't need to hide? I hope you understand what I mean by this.

my problem is the mixing of religion and politics. And being ignorant to facts.

"Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than, you know, a few decades. So it’s the death knell of this country. I honestly think it’s the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam - which I think is a big threat, OK? Cause what's happening now is they are going after, in schools, two-year olds...And this stuff is deadly, and it’s spreading, and it will destroy our young people, it will destroy this nation."[4][5]

After receiving attention for the remarks, Kern said "I said nothing that was not true" and refused to apologize.[4][6][7][8] She received a standing ovation from fellow Republican legislators in a private meeting a few days later......

Kern also made headlines for authorizing a bill, which recently passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives, mandating that students who espouse Young Earth creationism still receive passing grades in Earth science classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Kern#Controversies

Now if I was a politician and said Christianity is a bigger threat to our country than terrorism. that it's destroying our nation ( and part of that just might be true when you get politicians like this )

Watch how fast Christians would be slamming those statements. Now if I said I would not apologize ????? What do you think the response would be / should be ?

This really isn't a free speech issue. Obviously she can say whatever hateful thing pops into her head without having to apologize. But she had better not complain when I tell her that she is an idiot who's every value and belief is based on a lie as well as telling her she is clinically insane for believing this.

She has every right to push her religion on the country. She was elected to do what she believed was right. It's the voters fault for putting her in office. The religious right is a group of dangerous, hateful bigots, but that's the negative side of freedom.

*runs screaming out the door*

Aaarrgh, the gays are coming, the gays are coming..... :lol::D

Seriously though, yes she has the right to say what she said, yes it's not illegal and unfortunately yes, plenty of people think the same way.....

But guess what ?? I DON'T.... AND THAT'S WHAT COUNTS........

This really isn't a free speech issue. Obviously she can say whatever hateful thing pops into her head without having to apologize. But she had better not complain when I tell her that she is an idiot who's every value and belief is based on a lie as well as telling her she is clinically insane for believing this.

iF YOU CALLED HER AN IDIOT FOR HER HATE CHANTS ABOUT OTHERS...THEN OTHER CHRISTIANS MAY WELL PULL THE OLE - YOU ARE BASHING CHANT

my problem is the mixing of religion and politics. And being ignorant to facts. Her mixing religion and politics is dangerous, but she has the right. And yes, so ignorant.

"Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than, you know, a few decades. So it’s the death knell of this country. I honestly think it’s the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam - which I think is a big threat, OK? Cause what's happening now is they are going after, in schools, two-year olds...And this stuff is deadly, and it’s spreading, and it will destroy our young people, it will destroy this nation."[4][5]

Prosper under homosexuality... hmmm... nothing comes to mind... o wait, Greece. They only ruled the world.

When you're hurting others by your remarks, and then refuse to apologize, you have problems. I don't care what you believe, but you and I both know that the remarks she made probably made alot of homosexual people feel really bad. It's not about simply expressing her views. Sure, she can say her religion is above hers, and she has a right, just like I have a right to say she's ignorant and stupid for saying such a thing, but when others feelings come into play, please keep it to your God dam- self.
So what if someone's feelings get hurt? So what? There's no guarantee not to have your feelings hurt. (I keep hearing Tom Hank's character in "A League of Their Own" "There's no crying in Baseball!!") People will disagree and will have strong opinions which they will voice, if you don't like it, that's cool. If someone exercises their Constitutional right and says something which hurts your feelings I'm very sorry it hurts your feelings, but so what? The fact that someone's feelings may get hurt is not a valid reason to stop someone from exercising their rights to say what they want to say. Again, I am talking about the fact she has the right to say this. If the KKK were planning to march in my neighborhood, I would not try to keep them from doing so, but I would exercise MY rights by going out and protesting their message and expressing my opinion.

Sure, you can say it might not of hurt the homosexuals, but who's to say? When you say something that can possibly hurt someone, don't say it. I could start saying bad things about a specific race and start yelling all kinds of horrible things about them. Then I can throw the same card as others, "I'm sure they won't be too hurt by it".
I didn't say their feelings would not be hurt, I am also not saying their feelings are not important, I am saying hurt feelings are NOT a valid reason to stop someone from exercising their right to free speech.

yes she has the right to say what she wants just like I can say people who think like her are ****in morons.... but free speech aside..

it's the fact that her fanatical religious drives are integrated with our government and into law making. That is the line of crossing I disagree with. you can religiously believe what you want but you have no right in letting that belief make law and decisions for others who may not agree with that belief.

That's how a democracy works! The MAJORITY rules! What the majority values is what is supported and espoused! THAT IS DEMOCRACY AT WORK!!!

her religious opinion has no place in politics. no place in running this country.
Why not? She's a citizen in a democratic republic! She has the right to use whatever values she chooses in making decisions. If the majority of voters do not agree with her values then she will not get re-elected and may even be recalled, but if the majority agrees with the values she is using to govern, then guess what, she will continue to govern.

ps ---- and yet I put up a pic that says ' Jesus saves by clipping coupons and saving wisely' and I'm told to take it down because I offend ? where is my free speech ?
This is a privately owned website, it is not the United States! The owner of this website can choose to enforce whatever rules he wants.

how fast would christians be howling had she said " christianity is nothing more than myth. Jesus never existed and followers are not mentally ballanced ?"
And yet, I would still support her right to say it. Of course I would set to work to make sure she was removed from office and if the majority of voters agreed with me, then we would remove her. That's how republican democracy works.

I believe so many christians are filled with so much hate <--freedom of speech...now do you WISH to applaud ME too IAMS?? after all its a belief I hold..

The woman shows HATE and you applaud her, then as far as I am concerned you are just as bad as she is...showing hate is what Jesus taught??? hmmmm IAMS you do know how to bring the side down

If this is what people turn out like for following Jesus...I say NO THANK YOU...I got morals..people that show hate and applaud them for not apologizing are just as bad....

BM, I said I applauded her for not apologizing, for standing up for her right to free speech. I also said it didn't matter whether I agreed with her view or not, she STILL has the right to express herself. Edited by IamsSon

iF YOU CALLED HER AN IDIOT FOR HER HATE CHANTS ABOUT OTHERS...THEN OTHER CHRISTIANS MAY WELL PULL THE OLE - YOU ARE BASHING CHANT

And I would kindly ask them to quit wasting my oxygen... because it obviously isn't going to their brains.

BM, I said I applauded her for not apologizing, for standing up for her right to free speech. I also said it didn't matter whether I agreed with her view or not, she STILL has the right to express herself.

So I suppose you think its OK to show hate for your GOD?? well you should do..in fact I sure hope you NEVER get at anyone to appologize to you ever...for stating any form of hate for your faith or your way of life....because if you did, that would make YOU a hypocrite...

Tell me...Jesus..he taught this ?? he taught you all to chant hate at others..and never say sorry for hurting others??? <---you applauded this...you condone it...for I KNOW you wouldnt applaud anyone that refuse to say sorry for bashing you or your faith...

you contradicted yourself too....you say you may not agree with the stance..but applaud her for not wishing to say sorry for hurting peoples feelings <---just how messed up is that?? it doesnt make sense

Edited by Beckys_Mom

So what if someone's feelings get hurt? So what? There's no guarantee not to have your feelings hurt. (I keep hearing Tom Hank's character in "A League of Their Own" "There's no crying in Baseball!!") People will disagree and will have strong opinions which they will voice, if you don't like it, that's cool. If someone exercises their Constitutional right and says something which hurts your feelings I'm very sorry it hurts your feelings, but so what? The fact that someone's feelings may get hurt is not a valid reason to stop someone from exercising their rights to say what they want to say. Again, I am talking about the fact she has the right to say this. If the KKK were planning to march in my neighborhood, I would not try to keep them from doing so, but I would exercise MY rights by going out and protesting their message and expressing my opinion.

You just missed my entire point. And you can't really compare someone being hurt by something as stupid as let's say, a disagreement in music taste, and someone yelling hateful remarks about a specific race, lifestyle, etc. Please tell me you agree with me when I say that it'd be better if people like the KKK and this woman kept their comments to themselves instead of trying to spread it and get people to hear it. Sure legally you can say it, but is it ok?

Edited by ShaunZero

So I suppose you think its OK to show hate for your GOD?? well you should do..in fact I sure hope you NEVER get at anyone to appologize to you ever...for stating any form of hate for your faith or your way of life....because if you did, that would make YOU a hypocrite...

Tell me...Jesus..he taught this ?? he taught you all to chant hate at others..and never say sorry for hurting others??? <---you applauded this...you condone it...for I KNOW you wouldnt applaud anyone that refuse to say sorry for bashing you or your faith...

you contradicted yourself too....you say you may not agree with the stance..but applaud her for not wishing to say sorry for hurting peoples feelings <---just how messed up is that?? it doesnt make sense

He applauded her for not caving in to pressure and giving up her right to free speech. If you say anything offensive people crucify you and expect you to be punished for conduct protected by US law. I agree with him in this.