Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

slow dvd load

Orcseeker

On my dvd rw drive it takes unusually slow to load a dvd. The computer is less than a year old and is not a cheap selection of specs. The other drives are working perfectly. Could someone tell me if I could fix this or simply pull out my warranty and ask for a new one?

Thanks

Orcseeker

oh and its 18x. When I put in crysis on my dvd rw drive, it makes clicking noises and takes about 1 min to load, I put it in my dvd drive and it takes a matter of seconds. It is quite hot after being in the dvd rw.

Edited by Orcseeker

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Orcseeker

• dmurdock36

On my dvd rw drive it takes unusually slow to load a dvd. The computer is less than a year old and is not a cheap selection of specs. The other drives are working perfectly. Could someone tell me if I could fix this or simply pull out my warranty and ask for a new one?

Thanks

Orcseeker

oh and its 18x. When I put in crysis on my dvd rw drive, it makes clicking noises and takes about 1 min to load, I put it in my dvd drive and it takes a matter of seconds. It is quite hot after being in the dvd rw.

Overheating of electronics can be a major problem, make sure all your case fans are working properly, also make sure that your drives are not jammed together restricting air flow, I have in the past taken the side of my computer and put a stand fan blowing in it to keep it cool and it fixed many problems, If cooling it off doesnt work you may want to check your power supply, may need a higher wattage power supply. It could also be your video card doesnt have enough memory and is taking longer to load the video. Let me know if any of this is helpful.

thanks for the reply, a lot of bad things have been happening to my computer, I have decided to try reformatting after storing and copying some files. I have 5 fans and a, if my memory serves me correctly, a 430 watt power supply. My video card does have little memory(320mb) but I have vista and it doesnt load the cd the whole way, it has an autorun option which loads the cd or view files. It is also slow when copying, a lot slower than it was when it was newer.

Edited by Orcseeker

thanks for the reply, a lot of bad things have been happening to my computer, I have decided to try reformatting after storing and copying some files. I have 5 fans and a, if my memory serves me correctly, a 430 watt power supply. My video card does have little memory(320mb) but I have vista and it doesnt load the cd the whole way, it has an autorun option which loads the cd or view files. It is also slow when copying, a lot slower than it was when it was newer.

430 watt power supply is pretty small might think about getting a 550 watt to 650 watt power supply. Vista requires a lot of memory 2 gig minimum how much physical memory do you have on your computer that could also be part of it. I had loaded Vista on one of my machines to play with it but the computer wasnt really bulky enough to handle it so it ran very slowly, got rid of it and went back to Ubuntu (linux).

430 watt power supply is pretty small might think about getting a 550 watt to 650 watt power supply. Vista requires a lot of memory 2 gig minimum how much physical memory do you have on your computer that could also be part of it. I had loaded Vista on one of my machines to play with it but the computer wasnt really bulky enough to handle it so it ran very slowly, got rid of it and went back to Ubuntu (linux).

I have 4gb 800mhz RAM, only about 3.5 of this can be used because I have vista 32-bit.

I have 4gb 800mhz RAM, only about 3.5 of this can be used because I have vista 32-bit.

shouldnt be a problem with ram then, my main concern would be the overheating of the drive, if you pull the dvd out and it is hot that means the drive is getting too hot, what kind of dvd drive is it?

shouldnt be a problem with ram then, my main concern would be the overheating of the drive, if you pull the dvd out and it is hot that means the drive is getting too hot, what kind of dvd drive is it?

Its a liteon DVD rw. I have 3 case fans and 1 on CPU, another on the graphics card. I have 3 input device drives, the dvd rw, dvd drive and a cd drive. I do have one spot under these, should I move them down and give the dvd rw some more space?

Its a liteon DVD rw. I have 3 case fans and 1 on CPU, another on the graphics card. I have 3 input device drives, the dvd rw, dvd drive and a cd drive. I do have one spot under these, should I move them down and give the dvd rw some more space?

that would help probably, but I have had a lot of trouble with the liteon brand before, might try updating the firmware or just getting a better dvd burner, I only use Plextor or Sony and have never had a problem. Plextor drives are my favorite.

that would help probably, but I have had a lot of trouble with the liteon brand before, might try updating the firmware or just getting a better dvd burner, I only use Plextor or Sony and have never had a problem. Plextor drives are my favorite.

firmware on dvd rw was most recent but I decided to reinstall anyway, but with no effect, thankyou very much for your help, I guess the only way is to put a new one in and ill go for your recommendation, my dvd drive is a sony and thats working awsome.