Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mt. Shasta

William B Stoecker

Reason compels me to go over to the other side, the skeptic side, that is, on a few issues.What I am about to say is so obvious that I shouldn't have to say it. There are still quite a few people who insist on believing that there is a literal, physical underground city of Lemurians and/or ascended masters directly under California's Mount Shasta. Now, I am normally anything but a debunker and I am very open to the possibility (and only a possibility) that earthquake zones, volcanoes, and even high, isolated non-volcanic peaks (like Mt. Diablo, also in California) may be the centers of paranormal or Fortean phenomena. Maybe even they can sometimes be portals to other realms, although this is nothing but speculation. But there is no Lemurian city in a cave under Shasta.

First of all, the very word "Lemurian" derives from "lemur," a class of primates found in Madagascar and India. Before plate tectonics came to the rescue (the theory is that India migrated from southeast Africa to its current location), paleontologists speculated that lemurs migrated over a long, thin land bridge in the Indian Ocean, which they named, appropriately enough, "Lemuria." Occultists like Madame Blavatsky and others moved Lemuria into the Pacific, made it a continent, and peopled it with an advanced prehistoric civilization on the basis of no proven evidence whatever. This does not mean that there could not have been a civilization based on the many islands of the Pacific; there is some evidence that seems to point in that direction.

And then there is the problem of Mount Shasta itself. It is a volcano, part of the Cascade Range, which is in turn part of the Pacific Ring of Fire. And it is not extinct, but only dormant, having last erupted in the eighteenth century. When I climbed it in 1976, near the summit there was still an active fumarole emitting steam and sulfur dioxide. It is hot under Shasta, steaming, burning hot, and the rock layers are weak and unstable, and it has erupted before and will erupt again.

It is no place for a city.

William B Stoecker

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaylemurph

• TheBloom

• questionmark

• William B Stoecker

Have any good stories that others claim are real? I've never heard of this before.

William, if the only reason you're posting is to present some opinions and a few facts, you need to start a blog, not start a thread, especially if (like some many others of yours) you never plan on coming back to this thread.

--Jaylemurph

Humm. I thought they were supposed to be using their super-science and UFO technology to make their Hidden Base livable. Supposedly people are seen sneaking around and going to into caves around Mt. Shasta all the time.

I personally think the odds are pretty low of there being anything there though.

Wow, I was shocked to see a thread about Mt Shasta in here. I like about a half an hour from it. My fiancee actually grew up there as well. There are a lot of people who think there are Lemurians or aliens hanging out near Mt Shasta.

Here's a page all about this:

http://www.siskiyous.edu/shasta/fol/lem/index.htm

A lot of hippy types live in Mt Shasta. We call it Shastafaria around here. They are Shastafarians. Honestly, let them live in their little dream world.

If your going to talk about people living too close to volcanoes, your talking about the wrong volcano to care about here. Portland, Seattle, numerous cities with large populations are closer to more active volcanoes on the northwest than Mt Shasta.

"During the last 10,000 years Shasta has erupted an average of every 800 years but in the past 4,500 years the volcano has erupted an average of every 600 years. The last significant eruption on Shasta may have occurred 200 years ago, as noted above.

Mount Shasta can release volcanic ash, pyroclastic flows or dacite and andesite lava. Its deposits can be detected under nearby small towns totaling 20,000 in population. Shasta has an explosive, eruptive history. There are fumaroles on the mountain, which show that Shasta is still alive.

The worst case scenario for an eruption is a large pyroclastic flow, such as what occurred in the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. Since there is ice, such as Whitney Glacier and Mud Creek Glacier, lahars would also result. Ash would probably blow inland, perhaps as far as eastern Nevada. There is a small chance that an eruption could also be bigger resulting in a collapse of the mountain, as happened at Mount Mazama in Oregon, but this is of much lower probability.

The United States Geological Survey considers Shasta a dormant volcano, which will erupt again. It is impossible to pinpoint the date of next eruption, but it likely will occur within the next several hundred years."

linked-image

By far Mt St Helens erupts the most. I would be a lot more worried about those areas than Mt Shastafaria. Your gonna see a bunch of hippies in Shasta and Dunsmanure get all p***ed off and take it as some kind of omen. LOL

Thanks rezna! I'll take the info. and leave this thread before I get insulted.

1. In response to the thread

I think it's total bull. Not your opinion but the stories.

2. In response to Lady Sorbus

I don't really see how there was anything to get offended about.

3. In response to JayleMurph

A lot of the threads here are based on opinion. I don't see the reason to lash out at him. You've had experience with his threads before and as he seems to bother you wouldn't it be best just to ignore the threads altogether rather than getting riled up to the point you have to post? If you don't like his threads, why not just ignore them?

Don't take this as an insult I'm being genuinely empathetic.

1. In response to the thread

I think it's total bull. Not your opinion but the stories.

2. In response to Lady Sorbus

I don't really see how there was anything to get offended about.

3. In response to JayleMurph

A lot of the threads here are based on opinion. I don't see the reason to lash out at him. You've had experience with his threads before and as he seems to bother you wouldn't it be best just to ignore the threads altogether rather than getting riled up to the point you have to post? If you don't like his threads, why not just ignore them?

Don't take this as an insult I'm being genuinely empathetic.

That wasn't a lash, Duke. It was my opinion, fairly neutrally expressed. But this *is* a discussion board; William's post didn't exactly contain an explicit invitation towards discussion, or even raise any questions to talk about. And the site has blog options available in other areas for people who just want express themselves as William seems to.

--Jaylemurph

I suppose a few questions would have been useful but not everyone is good at putting their thoughts accross :D

William, if the only reason you're posting is to present some opinions and a few facts, you need to start a blog, not start a thread, especially if (like some many others of yours) you never plan on coming back to this thread.

--Jaylemurph

Maybe you're right, Jaylemurph; I'll try to remember to post my opinions on the blog section henceforth. But if you "follow" me there and continue criticisms that border on personal attacks, I'll begin to suspect that you are on some weird personal vendetta (against a man you have never met) and I will not hesitate to share that opinion with everyone. William B Stoecker

Maybe you're right, Jaylemurph; I'll try to remember to post my opinions on the blog section henceforth. But if you "follow" me there and continue criticisms that border on personal attacks, I'll begin to suspect that you are on some weird personal vendetta (against a man you have never met) and I will not hesitate to share that opinion with everyone. William B Stoecker

Don't be ridiculous; that wasn't anywhere near a personal attack, and commenting on the posts you present to the public on a discussion board is hardly "following" you. If at any time you think I'm doing anything inappropriate, do tell tell the mods and let them take action.

--Jaylemurph

Don't be ridiculous; that wasn't anywhere near a personal attack, and commenting on the posts you present to the public on a discussion board is hardly "following" you. If at any time you think I'm doing anything inappropriate, do tell tell the mods and let them take action.

--Jaylemurph

Now, now Jay... Thou should not stalk Willy while he spreads his theories!!!

I too find his accusation absolutely harebrained ...

I have never read up on volcanic zones being the center of paranormal activity, but earthquake zones is another story. According to Dr. Michael Persinger and Paul Deverax who created the techtonic strain theory, the earths energy grid is powerful above techtonic strain. For example before the New Madrid earthquake along the mississippi river, light orbs were seen flying along it's banks. Today these are called earthquake lights (still willow wisps to me). The same has been applied to pre-earthquake zones all over the world. I see it as plausable.

Today these are called earthquake lights (still willow wisps to me). The same has been applied to pre-earthquake zones all over the world. I see it as plausable.

I live in one of the worlds most active tectonic zones, we have dozens of quakes a month and I can assure you I have never experienced 'earthquake lights'. All other kinds of things, like howling dogs, quiet birds, eerie silence before, but lights? definitely NO.

I live in one of the worlds most active tectonic zones, we have dozens of quakes a month and I can assure you I have never experienced 'earthquake lights'. All other kinds of things, like howling dogs, quiet birds, eerie silence before, but lights? definitely NO.

I live on a fault line (though small in size) and I can tell you I have seen these. I cannot remember where I read it, but Mr. Mark Twain wrote about these "earthquake lights" I also trust Dr. Michael Persinger even though he will also tell you it's just a theory. We butted heads at a luncheon four years ago, before I as well as others figured that he was the biggest skeptic of his own work. That led to his controversial "gods helmet" and I am looking forward to hearing again from him on his newer research. If I ever get my head out of my crack and do my own investigations I would really love to have every skeptic on this board. I love to see people tripp'n out.

Just my own opinions and view and nightmares remembered.

I once asked a friend of mine that loves to Snow ski and Snow Board and Ice climb why he choses to drive the hundreds of miles to the mountains in the northwestern U.S.A. and just does not relocate to Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington, and he smiled and said: Because I majored in Geology in Collage and you would never find me living any were around those Volcanic zones, for a lot of people it is out of sight out of mind,...

Or as I like to Say, Ignorance is Bliss...

I never heard of lemurian’s or of their living under Mount Shasta, not a very intelligent race of Lemurs (Race) are they, I mean for one thing just the caustic choking fumes of sulfurs alone would screw up the lungs and body organs let alone screw up there completion.

But seriously living anywhere near a volcano is so very unwise, I am perplexed as to why cities were settled and created around these Huge potentially explosive Volcanoes, I do understand that these major city were settled and developed back in the 1800’s or before the understanding of Volcanism (Volcanic Activity)( the processes involved in the formation of volcanoes, and in the transfer of magma and volatile material from the interior of the Earth to its surface, as a study of science and Geology)

But come on Man! Have you ever seen the miles upon miles of Volcanic debris fields, I mean the potential for a Volcanic eruption hapening and to tossing many millions of Tons of House sized searing hot lava boulders is very frightening to me, and just the ash flow of valcanic mud and debris it gathers is life threatening and disasters...

Case in point May of 1980 in the southwestern bottom end of Washington State when Mount Saint Helens Erupted, just the fallout of the ash had impacted over hundreds and hundreds of miles, I recall sitting in Coeur d’ Alane, Idaho and not knowing what was going down as we looked up and saw the ominous Black boiling rolling cloud coming fast over the city from the West Southwest and I mean it was not something you will never forget, all kinds of bad frightening thought are running through your mind and you start to tally up your family real quick and then relies there is no were to run to.

I drove in it for 30 minutes as acrid thick ash fell upon the Windscreen of my Chevy Blazer 4X4 as the day turned to almost black, it was a very life disrupting event for weeks after, ruining, car wheel bearings, Car motors and choking engine carburetors out and choking people and animals alike, scratching their eyes, and it kept on raining this acrid ash down like a sticking gagging snow storm, many states over twice the length of Ireland from bottom to top of Ireland were heavily ashes rained upon, it landed every where, all of it the ash was not water salable it stayed even if washed with hose water or rain fall it still was there and as it laid heavy upon the foliage in the woods and forests and the deer and elk ate the leaves of foliage it abrasively wore down their teeth damaging them permanently, and that is just the Ash fall, I have driven for miles through the Lava fields in many states and I can tell you there is no way that there could even be a subterranean city ancient or new and have any inhabitance within the earth, the Earths raw Geological power alone in just earth quakes at the epicenter is nothing I wish to be living around of though and I have lived and survived many of those, so even living 300 miles away from Mount Saint Helens would not even be far enough for me to not get very nervous and stressed when hearing it’s showing very potently destructive and life threatening activity… There is no civilization under Mount Shasta. Pavot

Edited by Pavot

I never heard of lemurian’s or of their living under Mount Shasta, not a very intelligent race of Lemurs (Race) are they, I mean for one thing just the caustic choking fumes of sulfurs alone would screw up the lungs and body organs let alone screw up there completion.

Your not the only one... but just in case here is a picture of a Lemur:

linked-image

this is a ring tailed one, and as far as known, one of the three types of Lemur(ians) that exist on this planet.

• 4 weeks later...
Have any good stories that others claim are real? I've never heard of this before.
Greetings everyone. My name is Will. I am a very spiritual person, a philosopher, a critic of everything, yet very open-minded. I have traveled all over the US, on Indiana Jones style adventures. I have studied a lot of religious, paranormal, and social phenomena. I am from New York. But I lived in every town in the Mount Shasta area. Largely, I think what people believe about these stories is misguided. However, I also cannot deny that there is without a doubt, something to these stories. And while I have a different interpretation of the paranormal stories regarding Mount Shasta, I do know quite a lot of them, if anyone's interested?

Also interesting to note that Mount Shasta, though considered to be one of the world's 7 holiest sites, is not alone in West coast mountain lore.....

They said on the news that Southern California has a 99.7% chance of getting a 6.7 or greater quake in the next 30 years. I wonder if the Lemurians have fortified their base to withstand earthquakes? I sure would not want to be living underground in California when the "Big One" hits.

They said on the news that Southern California has a 99.7% chance of getting a 6.7 or greater quake in the next 30 years. I wonder if the Lemurians have fortified their base to withstand earthquakes? I sure would not want to be living underground in California when the "Big One" hits.

The scary thing? When I lived in Mount Shasta, they were having quakes there! As far as I know, that's never happened before. Earthqueakes usually are like what? 800 miles south? But I guess Shasta dam is putting pressure on the ground. Scary. Back in the 90's, the Sac river rose a few inches and nearly wiped everything out. If the dam went, the whole north valley would get an enima down to Sacramento. And if Shasta erupted, you have the hot ash burning out the oxygen, the lava, and, the instant menting of 3 massive glaciers that are on top of the mountain!

But the Lemurians will be safe. There base is connected to other cities via global lava tunnels under the ground. Everyone knows that.