Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physical contact in dreams

TylerUTS

Hello, I am new here, I lurk often. Last night, I had a very powerful dream, about someone I have a kind of scewered relationship with. As I mentioned, it was very powerful, and actually makes me think of life in a new way. For the first time, my mind, as in brain obviously, actually LOVED someone who wasn't in my family, that's what the dream was about. Well, normally I'd look at this as any other dream, but there was something in this particular dream, something off, something that made it feel like it was more than just a dream.

Think about it, in dreams, do you ever actually, PHYSICALLY feel anything, other than maybe your blanket? You can imagine pain, or contact, but that's not the same, as feeling your body, actually coming into contact with someone elses, as you are dreaming. I felt this person hug me. It was in the dream, but I also felt my actual body, which was outside the dream of course, feeling their skin against mine. That doesn't happen. I actually felt human flesh touch mine. And I KNOW it wasn't myself imagining. Try, right now, to imagine someone puting their hand on yours. Sure, you can imagine that feeling, and you know what it's like, BUT, your hand actually doesn't feel another person's hand touching it. Now, another alternative, possibly it was someone in my family, but they have sworn that they did not go into my room throughout the night last night. I can't get over this physical feeling of someone else. It reminds me of the episode of Lost "The Constant" when Desmond is traveling between 1996 and 2004. I really felt like I was experiencing my life, except somewhere in the future. Now, I don't expect anyone to really believe that I felt this physical contact, but I would like to know if what I experienced was certain kind of dream, was it something more, have others expierenced this, and most importantly, what does it mean?

• Like 2

Generally when I dream I'm unconscious and can't feel a thing...but if I add my heart or falling sensations into the equation - it becomes a bit muddled.

Dreams are strange things - it could mean anything. I would keep trying to have the same dream though.

pretty normal no?

i've felt contact with other ppl in dreams countless of times

last time was about a week ago

dreamt about "physical contact" with my gf (which was actualy at that moment laying right next to me :P)

coincidentaly,the "physical contact" happened irl aswell when we both woke up :P

i've had loads of dreams where I feel contact with other ppl tho,varying from sexual contact to normal ordinary contact

nothing special imo :P

• Like 1

It may not be common to you, but overall it is common. It may have been a hallucination, the kind some people have before waking up or during sleep paralysis. Hallucinations do seem like reality.

I never experienced anything like this, but I've read enough experiences to know it's pretty common...

And if you think it's more than just a dream, of course, consider it - because memorable dreams can have important messages in them, I mean, more important than nonmemorable dreams...

• 8 years later...
On 3/18/2008 at 5:58 AM, TylerUTS said:

Hello, I am new here, I lurk often. Last night, I had a very powerful dream, about someone I have a kind of scewered relationship with. As I mentioned, it was very powerful, and actually makes me think of life in a new way. For the first time, my mind, as in brain obviously, actually LOVED someone who wasn't in my family, that's what the dream was about. Well, normally I'd look at this as any other dream, but there was something in this particular dream, something off, something that made it feel like it was more than just a dream.

Think about it, in dreams, do you ever actually, PHYSICALLY feel anything, other than maybe your blanket? You can imagine pain, or contact, but that's not the same, as feeling your body, actually coming into contact with someone elses, as you are dreaming. I felt this person hug me. It was in the dream, but I also felt my actual body, which was outside the dream of course, feeling their skin against mine. That doesn't happen. I actually felt human flesh touch mine. And I KNOW it wasn't myself imagining. Try, right now, to imagine someone puting their hand on yours. Sure, you can imagine that feeling, and you know what it's like, BUT, your hand actually doesn't feel another person's hand touching it. Now, another alternative, possibly it was someone in my family, but they have sworn that they did not go into my room throughout the night last night. I can't get over this physical feeling of someone else. It reminds me of the episode of Lost "The Constant" when Desmond is traveling between 1996 and 2004. I really felt like I was experiencing my life, except somewhere in the future. Now, I don't expect anyone to really believe that I felt this physical contact, but I would like to know if what I experienced was certain kind of dream, was it something more, have others expierenced this, and most importantly, what does it mean?

This has happen to me twice now and last night was the second time.

I've been searching the internet the whole day about this and I honestly didn't even know what to type on google search,everyone has said no it's normal but I don't know, there's just something different about physically feeling someone in my dream and on top of that I also realize I'm dreaming.

I still don't know what it means so I can't help you out with that, but I'll definitely keep you updated because I really want to find out myself.

• 2 years later...

Wednesday night, my very best friend left me because I got too close. This morning (3/15/19) I woke up from a dream in which I was leaning against them, but I physically felt it. I have no idea what it specifically means for me, but the general idea is that it can mean that you are trying to let them know how you feel. ( dreamstop.com/touching-dream-meaning-interpretations/ ) When you dream of being touched it reflects the relationship and the feelings between you and that person.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2008 at 2:28 PM, TylerUTS said:

Some people (like me) have dreams with all the experiences of real life ie i feel the rain, the cold, or the heat on my skin. I smell it f someone farts, or a horse dumps a load of manure  I can smell flowers and sea breezes.

I feel the contact of other people.  When  i touch a wall it is solid, although, with concentration, i can pass right through it.  i can sit on things like power lines or tv antennas when i am flying and need a rest.  I once got dusty flying over a herd of wildebeest on the Serengeti plains, and so flew through the Zambezi falls to freshen up 

Short answer Yes physical sensation is possible in dreams. I don't know how common it is. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, spirituaI said:

I’ve felt people hold my hand in dreams or even sexual things. It’s very real 

I feel my long deceased dog on my chest or my sister's hand on my head. It's still just a dream.

51 minutes ago, spirituaI said:

I’ve felt people hold my hand in dreams

Here's something you can do to show you how this works. Lay flat on your back in bed. Eye's closed. Imagine a cold drop of water hitting your shoulder and running slowly down your arm. Repeat this visualization over and over. With any luck you will "feel" the water drop. 

Edited by XenoFish