Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge black hole is size of 18 billion Suns

UM-Bot

user posted image rWhatever gave birth to this monster can be real proud. The biggest black hole in the universe weighs in with a respectable mass of 18 billion Suns, and is about the size of an entire galaxy. Just like in the Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito flick “Twins”, the massive black hole has a puny twin hovering nearby.

By observing the orbit of the smaller black hole, astronomers are able to test Einstein's theory of general relativity with stronger gravitational fields than ever before.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Daily Galaxy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GUNNARY SEARGENT HARTMAN

• Repoman

• danielost

• crtDzyn

Oh wow, that thing is huge!

Makes me wonder how much more of the universe we haven't explored and if they'll find ones possibly twice the size of this one. You never know, only time will tell.

I wouldn't mind seeing the effect of when those two black holes' discs cross paths. Shame I don't think I'll be able to without an extremely high-powered telescope. <_<

About the size of a galaxy? Perhaps this is the start of a new galaxy itself/how glaxies are created?

The biggest black hole in the universe weighs in with a respectable mass of 18 billion Suns, and is about the size of an entire galaxy.

The smaller black hole, which weighs about 100 million Suns, orbits the larger one on an oval-shaped path every 12 years.

wtf, it's THAT big and something makes a full orbit around it just in 12 YEARS ??? At what speed then ??? :wacko:

A black hole with the size of an entire galaxy and with a mass of only 18 billion Suns that have a smaller black hole that orbits it every 12th year? It makes no sense... Dont they mean that the black hole has a mass of an entire galaxy and not the size? Im sure the distance around the black hole is far shorter then the distance around a galaxy. Or is there galaxys that are very small?

Edited by Mr.Dot

Wouldn't the larger black hole suck in the smaller one or even cause it to collapse? Maybe in time, I guess.

How big are most black holes? And i just know that thing is HUGE!! Words probably can't describe this thing's size! lol. Like what Bear's Quest said, wouldn't the larger one affect the smaller one in any way except orbit? And while I'm at it, what happens if one black hole sucks up another... if that's even possible.

Edited by Krayt12

^ Wouldn't it be going really fast because it is being sucked in to the larger one? Think of something floating in the sink and then pulling the plug. It gets faster and faster as it gets closer to being sucked in.

?

^ Wouldn't it be going really fast because it is being sucked in to the larger one? Think of something floating in the sink and then pulling the plug. It gets faster and faster as it gets closer to being sucked in.

?

But the smaller black hole would be sucking back. I'm not sure what would happen, but perhaps putting the ends of two vacuums together and turning them both on might gain us some basic insight?

But the smaller black hole would be sucking back. I'm not sure what would happen, but perhaps putting the ends of two vacuums together and turning them both on might gain us some basic insight?

Yes but one vacuum is a straw and the other is an industrial size vacuum, If not bigger.

Yes but one vacuum is a straw and the other is an industrial size vacuum, If not bigger.

TRUE THAT!!

The little one would get pwned like a n00b

I never thought two black holes could orbit one another. This is strange. What does relativity predict would happen

if the black holes were to collide?

That should be interesting. The amount of matter is intense. The black hole is probably not that big just has a lot of

density.

It would be fascinating if there was a way to find out what goes on inside a black hole. Maybe this is how other universes start?

I never thought two black holes could orbit one another. This is strange. What does relativity predict would happen

That should be interesting. The amount of matter is intense. The black hole is probably not that big just has a lot of

density.

It would be fascinating if there was a way to find out what goes on inside a black hole. Maybe this is how other universes start?

When two black holes collide they merge, they form an even large black hole. At their center their singularities merge and become one.

About the size of a galaxy? Perhaps this is the start of a new galaxy itself/how glaxies are created?

Impossible, galaxies are not created by the death of suns, Red dwarfs, white dwarfs or black holes.

Firstly, black holes suck in all matter, not even light can escape it, and secondly if light cannot escape it there is a slim chance of life being created by a vortex of that magnitude. The law of General Relativity denies the occurance of this phenomenon.

Thanks GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

;)

density.

Once again, as I commented earlier life CANNOT be created by a black hole it is physically impossoble, it simply defies all sorts of laws of physics, like the theory of general relativity.

Life cannot be created by something that sucks in all types of matter around it, even light.

THIS IS MY COMMENT EARLIER:

Impossible, galaxies / universes are not created by the death of suns, Red dwarfs, white dwarfs or black holes.

Firstly, black holes suck in all matter, not even light can escape it, and secondly if light cannot escape it there is a slim chance of life being created by a vortex of that magnitude. The law of General Relativity denies the occurance of this phenomenon.

Thanks, GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

;)

what's that seargent?? I missed it the first two times repeat it once more please

what's that seargent?? I missed it the first two times repeat it once more please

HaHaHa look at the funny guy. Just shney, shut your mouth and jog on. I repeated it because i was answering two questions that wer linked.

Unlucky maybe later, oh and keep your quick jiibes to yourself, its not our fault you get kicks out of commenting sarcastically, if you want to say something, make it to do with the board, and not that you cant read, seeing as I repeated it, you funnily said that you missed it so ive naturally assumed you either cant read or your so sarcastic and cocky that you laugh at your own jiibes and that you think your clever.

Introducing the next phase of vacuum cleaning ... the Dyson Back Hole. Guaranteed to clean the dust right out of the Universe.

Impossible, galaxies are not created by the death of suns, Red dwarfs, white dwarfs or black holes.

;)

:mellow: Ugh... We have a large black hole in the centre of our galaxy...

I see what you mean with this black hole in question, I was just vaguing it up to include your average joe black hole.

What is on the other side/space of a black hole? Does light and everything else sucked in get oblivionated somehow, or does it change and emit elsewhere or on another plane? I have never really comprehended that aspect of the explanations of black holes. Does anyone here know, in layman's terms?

Thanks,

NS

that is a big black hole..there must be a major Fractal out there twisting.

A black hole with the size of an entire galaxy and with a mass of only 18 billion Suns that have a smaller black hole that orbits it every 12th year? It makes no sense... Dont they mean that the black hole has a mass of an entire galaxy and not the size? Im sure the distance around the black hole is far shorter then the distance around a galaxy. Or is there galaxys that are very small?

The answer to both questions is probable yes.

Wouldn't the larger black hole suck in the smaller one or even cause it to collapse? Maybe in time, I guess.

The two black holes will not merge unless the smaller one crosses the event zone of the bigger hole. Since it is in orbit around the bigger one it will probabe never cross that line. Unless affected by an outside source.

The galaxy Andromada also has two black holes in orbit around each other. In this case if I remember right they are about the same size. These are in the core of that galaxy.

Also galaxies can be very small. The small ones we call clouds. There are at least 5 of these clouds near our's, once thought to be in orbit of ours.

Stargate Atlantis takes place in one of these clouds.

Edited by danielost

What is on the other side/space of a black hole? Does light and everything else sucked in get oblivionated somehow, or does it change and emit elsewhere or on another plane? I have never really comprehended that aspect of the explanations of black holes. Does anyone here know, in layman's terms?

Thanks,

NS

In lamens terms, there is no other side to a black hole, well as far as we know. A black hole is just what it says on the tin, black= darkness. No one knows what happens to matter when it is sucked into the vortex, we dont know, because our prediction is that matter is oblivinated as you so well put it :lol:

But on a serious note, the only way to find out what happens is either too experience it yourself, (youll probably have to wait til the sun burns out, about 10 trillion years, and even then, not all dieing suns become black holes, so its a game of chance) or watch it through a highly advanced telescope, or the next thing you could do, is wait, until some highly advanced technology develops so that you can experience it by watching on a tv or actually being there and having some kind of special clamp or something to stop the gravitational pull affecting the ship.

Until then we wont know the answer to your question, only educated quesses and assumptions.

Thanks, GUNNARYSEARGENTHARTMAN

^_^:D;):hmm::no: answer