Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Life Experience and God

Heebrow

To worship many gods is called Polytheism by the way. "Poly" is Greek prefix for "Many".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heebrow

• Beckys_Mom

• Papaver

• sede-x-teh-bomb

That's totally incorrect. It is a Greek word, the Greek word "theism" meaning belief in God. The prefix "a" just turns it into the negative. "No belief in God".

Atheism is not a pagan word and does not mean "One god". Atheism - No god.

That would be "monotheism" that you refer to. "Monos" being Greek in refferal to the concept of single or alone.

that is how athiesm is used now, i am not disputing that at all i was adding that at one time pagans used it to denote the worshipping of one god during the 1st century. .......words often change meaning ..such as pharisses, cult, etc... these are words now that are negative in connotation but at one time they weren't... .........yes i know polythesim means many gods .....

Edited by Supra Sheri

It's not really that an important point but the word atheism means what it means. It's meant the same thing for nearly 4000 years it is a Greek word and can't mean anything else.

It's not really that an important point but the word atheism means what it means. It's meant the same thing for nearly 4000 years it is a Greek word and can't mean anything else.

In early Ancient Greek, the adjective atheos (ἄθεος, from the privative ἀ- + θεός "god") meant "godless". The word began to indicate more-intentional, active godlessness in the 5th century BCE, acquiring definitions of "severing relations with the gods" or "denying the gods, ungodly" instead of the earlier meaning of ἀσεβής (asebēs) or "impious". Modern translations of classical texts sometimes render atheos as "atheistic". As an abstract noun, there was also ἀθεότης (atheotēs), "atheism". Cicero transliterated the Greek word into the Latin atheos. The term found frequent use in the debate between early Christians and Hellenists, with each side attributing it, in the pejorative sense, to the other.[8] In English, the term atheism was derived from the French athéisme in about 1587.[10] The term atheist (from Fr. athée), in the sense of "one who denies or disbelieves the existence of God",[11] predates atheism in English, being first attested in about 1571.[12]Atheist as a label of practical godlessness was used at least as early as 1577.[13] Related words emerged later: deist in 1621,[14]theist in 1662;[15]theism in 1678;[16] and deism in 1682.[17]Deism and theism changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the influence of atheism; deism was originally used as a synonym for today's theism, but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.[18]

Karen Armstrong writes that "During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the word 'atheist' was still reserved exclusively for polemic ... The term 'atheist' was an insult. Nobody would have dreamed of calling himself an atheist."[19]Atheism was first used to describe a self-avowed belief in late 18th-century Europe, specifically denoting disbelief in the monotheistic Abrahamic god.[20] In the 20th century, globalization contributed to the expansion of the term to refer to disbelief in all deities, though it remains common in Western society to describe atheism as simply "disbelief in God"[21]. Most recently, there has been a push in certain philosophical circles to redefine atheism as the "absence of belief in deities", rather than as a belief in its own right; this definition has become popular in atheist communities, though its mainstream usage has been limited.[21][22][23]

I found this on wiki of all places.... so it seems my proffessor is correct. after all.... it meant a disbeleif in many 'gods' one must remember the early centurys beleived in many gods as in plural....so to go to worshipping only only one god seemed strange to a polythiestic culture would be a typical or athiest.... :D ....

Edited by Supra Sheri

I dont find it empowering at all, I think it's actually quite distracting. God doesn't put food on our tables, there's a long line of people who do that, from farmers, our parents to ourselves. God didn't put the stars and planets here, nature did, but there's no need to be thankful because the same mechanisms that created all this would kill us in the blink of an eye.

How is an atheists life ecologically destructive? I dont get what you're trying to say. It's christianity that says humans are the owners of the Earth, science says that we're part of the world and we have to help sustain it (if we intend to keep on living, nature will shake us off without a care if we dont live in harmony with the earth.).

you dont have to believe in God or think anything of afterlife to score "universal" browny points...

As long as your living a life conscious of your impact on other life around you, and what your actually personally achieving in life, You'll either way meet honorable death as a true contributing factor to society and the future of humanity regardless if your religious or not. Consider that distracting? i'm sorry to disrupt your 'busy schedule'.

Any life living commercial-based exsistence is ecologically destructive, if your athiest and completely ignorant of your selfishly consumptive ways i can safely consider you a jerk, which is a bad thing.

People who consciously dont give a damn about life, religion or any regard for any other life around you. Is in essence a negative exsistence. What we have learned in nature is that negative forces oppose each other, if your generating negative exsistence and thriving on that, in death your energy force would remain negatively charged and thus you oppose other negative forces. An isolated exsistence i can imagine.

you dont have to believe in God or think anything of afterlife to score "universal" browny points...

As long as your living a life conscious of your impact on other life around you, and what your actually personally achieving in life, You'll either way meet honorable death as a true contributing factor to society and the future of humanity regardless if your religious or not. Consider that distracting? i'm sorry to disrupt your 'busy schedule'.

Any life living commercial-based exsistence is ecologically destructive, if your athiest and completely ignorant of your selfishly consumptive ways i can safely consider you a jerk, which is a bad thing.

People who consciously dont give a damn about life, religion or any regard for any other life around you. Is in essence a negative exsistence. What we have learned in nature is that negative forces oppose each other, if your generating negative exsistence and thriving on that, in death your energy force would remain negatively charged and thus you oppose other negative forces. An isolated exsistence i can imagine.

but that my friend is all common sense

and is by no means exclusive to spirituality, religion or any other mythological story.

and if you believe it is you have been misinformed.

Edited by sede-x-teh-bomb

I appologize for bringing the word "athiest" into this. I dont understand why people are predisposed to take offence even when nothing offensive is directed to them. However, if your an athiest i do appologize for simply categorizing. I take it back.

On the other hand if you dont care about the atheism remark but still take some kind of offense or see contradictory to an idea of supreme goodwill. I believe you are at no liberty to even provide opinion until you've proved your stature in removing yourself from the ecologic destructive life you've been living. Honestly people what do I have to do with anything i said, take it for what you will I say too many of you are selfish.

The majority of Americans do not live their life as the Christian God would wish. The majority of America believes in a God. You do the math. On top of that, what's better: Doing good because you are truly a good person, or doing good because you fear God will punish you if you don't?

Edited by ShaunZero

if your athiest and completely ignorant of your selfishly consumptive ways i can safely consider you a jerk, which is a bad thing.

What does Atheism have to do with the latter?

People who consciously dont give a damn about life, religion or any regard for any other life around you.

And not believing there is a God relates to this in what way?

You have a REALLY twisted view of people who do not believe as you do.

but that my friend is all common sense

and is by no means exclusive to spirituality, religion or any other mythological story.

and if you believe it is you have been misinformed.

read the article. Good being means good karma, regardless if your spiritual or not.

What does Atheism have to do with the latter?

And not believing there is a God relates to this in what way?

You have a REALLY twisted view of people who do not believe as you do.

twisted eh, that could mean a good thing, for people like me are going to get humanity back on track, or at least die trying.

regardless if you dont think like me or not, the fact of being a human parasite helping generate the smog. is a bad thing. Whether your sensitive little self cares or not. It's what humanity needs to be rid of.

And by all means, this sense of spirtuality is simply the idea of one facing afterlife justice of one's actions in life.

Edited by Heebrow

not helping a hand when needed, not giving a damn about your ecological footprint might have nothing to do with not believing in God.

But the way God relates to these people is in justice served after one's life is finished. A hopeful sort of reprocussions to the way your exsistence was to others. How you live now could very much pave the way for how you live in another life . If re-incarnation exsists.

Either way I think ultimate wrong-doers in life get a dose after life of what they give in be-littleing others during life.

Edited by Heebrow

twisted eh, that could mean a good thing, for people like me are going to get humanity back on track, or at least die trying.

regardless if you dont think like me or not, the fact of being a human parasite helping generate the smog. is a bad thing. Whether your sensitive little self cares or not. It's what humanity needs to be rid of.

And by all means, this sense of spirtuality is simply the idea of one facing afterlife justice of one's actions in life.

What? What do you mean by "it's what humanity needs to be rid of"? Are you speaking of Atheism?

In early Ancient Greek, the adjective atheos (ἄθεος, from the privative ἀ- + θεός "god") meant "godless". The word began to indicate more-intentional, active godlessness in the 5th century BCE, acquiring definitions of "severing relations with the gods" or "denying the gods, ungodly" instead of the earlier meaning of ἀσεβής (asebēs) or "impious". Modern translations of classical texts sometimes render atheos as "atheistic". As an abstract noun, there was also ἀθεότης (atheotēs), "atheism". Cicero transliterated the Greek word into the Latin atheos. The term found frequent use in the debate between early Christians and Hellenists, with each side attributing it, in the pejorative sense, to the other.[8] In English, the term atheism was derived from the French athéisme in about 1587.[10] The term atheist (from Fr. athée), in the sense of "one who denies or disbelieves the existence of God",[11] predates atheism in English, being first attested in about 1571.[12]Atheist as a label of practical godlessness was used at least as early as 1577.[13] Related words emerged later: deist in 1621,[14]theist in 1662;[15]theism in 1678;[16] and deism in 1682.[17]Deism and theism changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the influence of atheism; deism was originally used as a synonym for today's theism, but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.[18]

Karen Armstrong writes that "During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the word 'atheist' was still reserved exclusively for polemic ... The term 'atheist' was an insult. Nobody would have dreamed of calling himself an atheist."[19]Atheism was first used to describe a self-avowed belief in late 18th-century Europe, specifically denoting disbelief in the monotheistic Abrahamic god.[20] In the 20th century, globalization contributed to the expansion of the term to refer to disbelief in all deities, though it remains common in Western society to describe atheism as simply "disbelief in God"[21]. Most recently, there has been a push in certain philosophical circles to redefine atheism as the "absence of belief in deities", rather than as a belief in its own right; this definition has become popular in atheist communities, though its mainstream usage has been limited.[21][22][23]

I found this on wiki of all places.... so it seems my proffessor is correct. after all.... it meant a disbeleif in many 'gods' one must remember the early centurys beleived in many gods as in plural....so to go to worshipping only only one god seemed strange to a polythiestic culture would be a typical or athiest.... :D ....

I'm sorry but nothing in that text supports your position that "Atheist" ever meant anything other than disbelief in theism. It does not support the position that "Atheism" ever meant belief in a single. It is always in the negative tense of "Theism" despite the connotations of being called such a thing up until relatively recent times.

In fact, things are not so often so easy for me in debate, the text you produced to support your point actually disproves your theory and reincforces mine!

I wish it were always that way...

Edited by Papaver

I'm sorry but nothing in that text supports your position that "Atheist" ever meant anything other than disbelief in theism. It does not support the position that "Atheism" ever meant belief in a single. It is always in the negative tense of "Theism" despite the connotations of being called such a thing up until relatively recent times.

In fact, things are not so often so easy for me in debate, the text you produced to support your point actually disproves your theory and reincforces mine!

I wish it were always that way...

a debate wow thats a stretch , its simply a tidbit on how it was used at one time.... ah i see you didn't read it .... i guess its just me i found this to be interesting and it added to the delight in learning new things.... the use of athiesm in early paganism during the 1st century reflected the polytheistic awareness and was used in that context, to a pagan a chrisitian that sacrificed to only one god was kooky and they called them athiests, there in is the orginal use of the word...... its a fun bit of trivia............. anyhoo for those that find it interesting i included it.....all the best.... :D

Edited by Supra Sheri

Can you prove there is an afterlife?? IF so, this I gotta see...for it looks as though you are judging ALL by something you CHOSE to believe in..or you were MADE believe in???, either way...its looks more like a mere belief!!

LOLOL only such garbage could come out of a believer... hmmm so sad man

i can give u a hand if you want to get the die trying bit happening ;):yes:

LOLOL only such garbage could come out of a believer... hmmm so sad man

i can give u a hand if you want to get the die trying bit happening ;):yes:

that is why i have honed my ability to introduce my shin to people's heads. Only through an online forum can anyone so comfortably talk ill about somebody sharing idea. Try that in real life some time sade.

Regardless, for you genius's who have just discovered this to be opinion or belief. CONGRATULATIONS!

doesnt matter if you think its mere religious belief, the common theme is applicable to real life. If you insist on thinking otherwise by all means to each his own. Dont be suprised if your dealt justice even while your still alive. :devil:.

that is why i have honed my ability to introduce my shin to people's heads. Only through an online forum can anyone so comfortably talk ill about somebody sharing idea. Try that in real life some time sade.

Regardless, for you genius's who have just discovered this to be opinion or belief. CONGRATULATIONS!

doesnt matter if you think its mere religious belief, the common theme is applicable to real life. If you insist on thinking otherwise by all means to each his own. Dont be suprised if your dealt justice even while your still alive. :devil:.

Then ok genius, why don't you try a spell checker...it's a blinding invention...the word is - suRprised

Then ok genius, why don't you try a spell checker...it's a blinding invention...the word is - suRprised

shame on you, you have nothing better to do than sit on a computer all night and discredit somebody sharing their opinion on a topic such as this. Get a life people honestly, go plant some trees make use of your life. Ya might shed a few pounds off those hips :tu:

LOL

UR now my new favorite board member!

shame on you, you have nothing better to do than sit on a computer all night and discredit somebody sharing their opinion on a topic such as this. Get a life people honestly, go plant some trees make use of your life. Ya might shed a few pounds off those hips :tu:

What do you expect? Everyone to agree with your viewpoint? What is the point of discussing it then?

And we're suffering from water shortages here so planting tree's is quite far from my mind at the moment.

I asked for opinion on what I wrote (ENTIRELY STATED IN IDEA OR OPINION). Not accusations of preaching or judging things about me for saying this. Keep on filling those arteries people, you'll see what you get when you take, take, take and don't give back.

Edited by Heebrow

. Get a life people honestly, go plant some trees make use of your life. Ya might shed a few pounds off those hips :tu:

Lead by example...get a life...and plant a clue while you are at it LMAO :lol:

I dont need to shed a few pounds..im in excellent shape thanks :D

Whats wrong?? can't you answer questions?? like the one I asked you....I asked you to PROVE there is an afterlife....so go on then..prove it?? or can you??

Edited by Beckys_Mom

"i dont need to shed a few pounds...i'm in excellent shape"

oooh sweet sweet denial.

Honestly if there is a morsel of humility in you, you'd be a little kinder. I only advocate goodwill and here you are trying to make a fool out of me. It is statistics like you whom contribute to the demise of humanity. Do continue trashtalking me, while you drive your cars, pile up the garbage and defecate our waterways. You are at no liberty to even speak you statistic.

"i dont need to shed a few pounds...i'm in excellent shape"

oooh sweet sweet denial.

:rolleyes: Yea and YOU would know..for YOU have seen me......sigh... :rolleyes:

Honestly if there is a morsel of humility in you,

WOW another INSULT..gee where does it end?? I guess it doesnt take much witt to come up with this dribble!!!!BRAVO!

I only advocate goodwill and here you are trying to make a fool out of me.

Well gee do't sit there and give me ALL the credit...you can do that all by yourself..and you have done, by constantly moaning and INSULTING others that just don't agree with you, and you fail to realize that it's a DEBATES BOARD!!!! :o

Do continue trashtalking me, while you drive your cars, pile up the garbage and defecate our waterways. You are at no liberty to even speak you statistic.

EH?? My word are we the assuming one today...I mean look at you, making up your OWN little judgmental assumptions about each and every last one of us..and assume you know all.....weird and so silly of you...what am I saying..you like to think you KNOW all, aren't you the one that insulted me and acted like you already knew who I was, and what I look like?? YES how strange..what where you saying about making a fool out of yourself again?? I forget!! :huh:

Edited by Beckys_Mom