Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Atlantis be under Greenland's Ice?

Egyptian-Illuminati

The problem with that theory is that Plato never mentions a volcanic eruption in his tale about Atlantis. And it was the largest volcanic eruption in human history.

Btw, the island was called Santorini from medieval times.

And it had other names too:

Before then, it was known as Kallístē (Κaλλίστη, "the most beautiful one"), Strongýlē (Greek: Στρογγύλη, "the circular one"), or Thēra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorini

You can possibly blame me and my uncle for this one.

We decided to pick a random thread in this sub- forum to discuss.

So basically I'm relying on second hand knowledge which I memorised.

I think Atlantis or whatever it's name is still closer to home than you think.

It's impossible to think that my uncle got his Plato manuscripts muddled up.

He also mentioned houses being made from black,red and white brick on the original Santorini.

This is still a recognisable feature on modern day Thira.

Despite all this I can't get the thought of the orange rectangle out of my head that was seen on Greenland.

Even though it's a glitch with Google Earth which far as I know has been rectified.

Edited by Medium Brown

Maybe you already posted it somewhere, Medium Brown, but who is your uncle in the Atlantis threads? Proclus? Mario Dantas? Just to know exactly what theory you are talking about.

Some interesting information about Atlantis can be found here:

http://originalscien...a-triangle.html

and also at this site:

http://www.atlantise.../evidence2.html

You know, there is a hell of a lot of information about Atlantis on THIS site.

And also many discussions between skeptics and believers, and both sides digging deep to hunt for the 'truth'.

It appears you are a new arrival, Acriasis, so, Welcome to UM.

You should try to find your way around here, and first of all: learn to use the search tool. I'll tell you: I registered in 2005, but my first post on UM was years later.

There's much to read.

Maybe you already posted it somewhere, Medium Brown, but who is your uncle in the Atlantis threads? Proclus? Mario Dantas? Just to know exactly what theory you are talking about.

Lol. Well I know for a fact he isn't Archimedes because it wasn't exactly an eureka moment.

There's no mention of seas of mud,houses of red,black and white brick or even an island within an island.

I'm as curious as you as to what document,dialogue or whatever he got his source material from.

But it wasn't Plato for damn sure so it's not surprising you threw some more suspects into the ring.

As far as I'm concerned Plato was the only telling tales about Atlantis at the time.

My uncle could have got his info from a more embellished source though.

I was thinking of inviting him to the forum but he might get laughed off.

His other little gem was the fact according to him there's absolutely no chance of life existing outside our earth.

That includes every star system in every galaxy.

Tis a shame because he's really into his Egyptology which is why I thought he would be reliable.

Edited by Medium Brown

To all,

Why is the northern Mid Atlantic Ridge anomaly, in front of Gibraltar, the strongest anomaly on earth? Why a given model, in that particular region, attest a continental fit between east Greenland, Northwestern Africa and Iberian Peninsula?

Geoids_sm.jpg

Greenland_Atlantis1.jpg

Tubarões Azuis (Blue Sharks)

Screenshot%2520from%25202012-12-17%252017_44_54.png

My experiment is based on a pure tectonic approach rather than on results within the known chronological timescale. There is not any continental fit between Africa and North America, but one can observe Greenland being perfectly integrated in the North Atlantic region.

Gibraltar region is again giving clues as to what might have happened, in the surroundings. Reuters, said the following regarding the last Atlantis research in Spain:

Lost city of Atlantis, swamped by tsunami, may be found

(Reuters) - A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southernSpain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund toldReuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

http://www.reuters.c...E72B2JR20110312

A11.jpg

​These guys have just "scratched the surface"... there must have been unimaginable sized waves, capable of creating the Richat structure formation, in Guelb er Richat, Mauretania:

tyrtyrty.jpg

https://lh6.googleus...03_Richat_H.jpg

https://lh3.googleus...0/argargasg.jpg

The whole Sahara desert and Arabian Peninsula might have been "created" or covered up by sand and debris, when the above said events took place. Underneath Dona Ana Park lies (very likely) one of the many cities that might have existed, at the time of Atlantis (*if* it ever existed). Unexplained continental debris found in the middle of the North Atlantic ocean floor must belong to ancient beaches... likewise the river sand, dust and fossils found in the Sahara are perhaps the evidence that a major water invasion occurred, at the time of the earthquakes that "sunk" Atlantis, mentioned by Plato.

Regards,

Mario Dantas

Edited by Mario Dantas

Edit to add: I've just realised those two guys you mentioned are fellow posters.

In that case then my uncle was trying to debunk them.

Especially Proteas who's insistent that Atlantis is underneath Greenland.

My uncle wasn't suggesting anything of the sort even though he's a bit off in some details.

But the Mediterratean is as good as starting point as any to begin the search for Atlantis.

Unless we are whistling in the wind.

As if tectonic plates are going to move Greenland in such a short space of time.

Proteas will be saying next that the Titanic collided with Greenland.

Edited by Medium Brown

To whoever,

Another coincidental fact is that Cape Verde and Bermuda are nearly in a same level as the "tip" of the anomaly, on the northern MAR and located strategically between the two locations:

Earth's Crust Missing In Mid-Atlantic

Scientists have discovered a large area thousands of square kilometres in extent in the middle of the Atlantic where the Earth’s crust appears to be missing. Instead, the mantle - the deep interior of the Earth, normally covered by crust many kilometres thick - is exposed on the seafloor, 3000m below the surface.

Marine geologist Dr Chris MacLeod, School of Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences said: "This discovery is like an open wound on the surface of the Earth. Was the crust never there? Was it once there but then torn away on huge geological faults? If so, then how and why?"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070301103112.htm

Screenshot%2520from%25202012-12-18%252021%253A45%253A15.png

Centered, in front of Gibraltar, as the hand of a watch, the gravitational anomaly is probably showing that there was a continental "swing" which left two equidistant points in the north Atlantic with a special geologic mark...

The Appalachian orogeny, on the other side of the Atlantic, has the same length as the highest gravitational anomaly on the planet. These lengths, as well as Greenland's, are in some way related. The beginning of the Sahel corridor, the southerner boundary of the Sahara, ending in the the Atlas range are geographic limits that exist for some reason! The three formations have very approximated figures, meaning that there could have been a relationship between them:

Greenland length - 2670 Km

Appalachians length - 2400 Km

Sahara (longitudinal) length - 1800 Km*

*(missing parts of it might have been blown off by thousands of years of wind and water erosion, thus justifying its lesser size, e.g. moving dunes can travel 100 m in a year)

Concluding, the Geoidetical information on the northern MAR anomaly, Bermuda and Cape Verde could be the "proven" proof that in fact something *might* have happened 10.000 years ago...

Regards,

Mario Dantas

Edited by Mario Dantas

Greenland_Atlantis23.jpg

Edited by Mario Dantas

voii03_kort002.jpg

There's no whoever.

Your just talking to yourself mate!

Edited by Medium Brown

MB,

What should i do, quit?

What exactly is your point?

AA_Screenshot%2520from%25202012-12-18%252022%253A02%253A38.png

I can affirm that each of the two islands in the extremity of the Cape Verde islands (Fogo, S. Antão) have one large volcano in the regions facing the interior of the Archipelago, what about that?

The entire Island of Fogo is one big active intraplate volcano, notice how the crater is facing eastwards:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

Now look at Greenland's southern region:

copy%2520of%2520onnojno.jpg

Regards,

Mario Dantas

Likewise, regarding the most northerner island (S. Antão), the volcano is facing west, again towards the interior of the archipelago:

Atlantis.jpg

5.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by Mario Dantas

xxx.jpg

^^^^ The whole point is trying to debunk you.

You could say it's a dare but it feels more like a challenge.

It's nice to see your fitting the contours of Cape Verde Island into Greenland.

I'm well aware that in pre- history continents were squashed together.

One of these was called Godawanaland.

However if you say Greenland moved through stress of the tectonic plates surely it's passage won't be smooth.

There's bound to be pieces of rock falling off and ruining the jigsaw.

Tbh I think you need to study the subject of erosion.

The east coast of the UK is claiming land to the North Sea every year.

I've seen many a picture of houses hanging on the edge of a cliff.

A few years earlier these properties had gardens.

It just puts pay to the idea of land masses being a perfect fit through erosion.

Btw what kind of timescale are we looking at?

Edited by Medium Brown

^^^^ The whole point is trying to debunk you.

You could say it's a dare but it feels more like a challenge.

It's nice to see your fitting the contours of Cape Verde Island into Greenland.

I'm well aware that in pre- history continents were squashed together.

One of these was called Godawanaland.

However if you say Greenland moved through stress of the tectonic plates surely it's passage won't be smooth.

There's bound to be pieces of rock falling off and ruining the jigsaw.

Tbh I think you need to study the subject of erosion.

The east coast of the UK is claiming land to the North Sea every year.

I've seen many a picture of houses hanging on the edge of a cliff.

A few years earlier these properties had gardens.

It just puts pay to the idea of land masses being a perfect fit through erosion.

Btw what kind of timescale are we looking at?

MB,

Maybe i should be grateful i am having this conversation...

I think trying to debunk something is fine and i am happy you seem to think some of my models have any merit.

Greenland's move, was definitely not smooth, there should have been havoc everywhere, if such event ever took place.

It is my opinion it all happened 10.000 years ago... The end of the Pleistocene does seem to have many similar aspects with the Atlantis demise: Sea level rise, extinctions, changes in climate, etc

Regards,

Mario Dantas

Hello,

The distance between Greenland and the Azores is the same as between the Azores to the Cape Verde Islands, and that is the sheer length of Greenland (2670 Km). Why does this coincidental approximate measure also occur in the Appalachians (2400 Km), or even in the Ural Mountains (2500 Km)?

voii03_kort002.jpg

The geographical position of Greenland has changed systematically over the past 500 million years as a result of plate tectonic movements, from the tropics to its current position in the Arctic. The figures give time in million years before the present.

http://www.geus.dk/viden_om/voii/ilulissat-uk/voii05-uk.html

My newest album, Wishful Thinking:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106047243612755133722/WishfulThinking

If considered that geologic time is not taken under account, and the largest island in the world did not travel together with the American and Eurasian plates through Eons, Greenland could possibly have performed a rapid move, while shocking with the other near continental masses, and ending up in the North American continent, close to Canada.

How coincident is scientific data, regarding Greenland’s tectonic shift (albeit during many million years ago), through the Atlantic floor...

Notice that the distance between Cape Verde and Greenland is exactly 5200 Km, that is precisely twice the size of Greenland!

Now, when one examines specific data on the above geographical position of Greenland (Geus.dk). it is remarkable how strangely coincident Greenland’s trajectory is, concerning all the orogenic systems existing along northeastern and northwestern Atlantic coasts, e.g. the Appalachians, the Atlas range and the Scandinavian mountains, not to mention other suspicious geographic “anomalies”...

Geus.dk.jpg

Greenland’s geographic “move” through three of the five major circles of the earth, seems to be well patent even in today’s maps, contradicting whatever was said about Greenland’s tectonic “diaspora” through our planet:

Best regards,

Mario Dantas

Edited by Mario Dantas

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantis is under Antarctica's ice!

Atlantis is under Antarctica's ice!

Quoted for inaccuracy!

It's that Hollow Earth Theory that refuses to die.

Because that's where the whacked- up theories about Antarctica are stemming from.

Including a ressurected Fourth Reich from the ashes of the first one.

If you want my honest opinion Admiral Byrd has got a lot to answer for.

At least Mario's in the right hemisphere.

And he's had the decency to show something to the table.

I know I havn't crowned myself in glory on this thread but I can dismiss this one quite confidently.

Quoted for inaccuracy!

It's that Hollow Earth Theory that refuses to die.

Because that's where the whacked- up theories about Antarctica are stemming from.

Including a ressurected Fourth Reich from the ashes of the first one.

If you want my honest opinion Admiral Byrd has got a lot to answer for.

At least Mario's in the right hemisphere.

And he's had the decency to show something to the table.

I know I havn't crowned myself in glory on this thread but I can dismiss this one quite confidently.

No, it's Rand Flem-ath's theory, nothing to do with "Hollow Earth".