Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lake City Florida End Timers

sandee

Although the people of Lake City didn't realize it, what was happening to their town had happened before and would again: a religious sect migrating to a small community and reshaping its economy and its way of life.

It has happened in Schell City, Mo., with the Church of Israel; in Spindale, N.C., with the Word of Faith Fellowship; in Hildale, Utah, with the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; in Abilene, Texas, with the House of Yahweh; in Bellevue, Wash., with the Life Tabernacle Church; in Grants Pass, Ore., with the Foundation of Human Understanding; in Attleboro, Mass., with The Body.

End Time women wore ankle-length dresses and never used makeup. (Meade cautioned them to beware of the "lipstick spirit.") The men didn't grow facial hair or wear digital wristwatches. (Mustaches, Meade said, were of the "homosexual spirit," and anything with a digital chip was evil.) Nobody ever saw an End Timer with a pet. (Animals, even pictures of animals, harbored demons, Meade told his followers.)As it turned out, there were quite a few objects of evil in the world of Meade: newspapers, TV, chewing gum, earrings, even Dr. Seuss books. Illness, Meade preached, was the work of the devil, best healed not by doctors but by faith. All holidays, including Christmas and Easter, were banned as pagan rituals..One home captures the attention of the neighborhood. It is the one with a privacy fence topped by three strands of barbed wire, an elaborate brick entryway framing its driveway, "no trespassing" signs and three rows of trees between which—say "normal' who monitored the landscaping— sharp sticks protrude from the ground. Across the street, the ground is bare in two spots where trucks park each night to watch the home, which has an appraised value of $104,864.

Some citizens of Lake City have come to call it "God's house." It is the home of Charles Meade, the 74-year-old founder of End Time Ministries, who says he has visited the evening star, walked with God along the Milky Way, healed the sick, revived the dead and "in the name of Jesus" commanded would-be robbers to drop their weapons.

End Time's purpose, as Meade told his followers in one of more than 60 tape-recorded sermons, is this:

"God's going to have a mighty army in this end time. The army that he spoke about in Joel. And you're some of the people. This generation here is the one that's going to bring Jesus back."

He talks about establishing a Society of "the greatest people that ever walked the face of the Earth." And he talks of himself, as someone doing something that has never been done.

He once told his followers that Jesus could "wash your clothes right on your own body, you don't even have to take them off. All you've got to do is believe God's word. "

Meade says he has seen evil spirits sitting on people's shoulders, whispering in their ears. One of Meade's preachers told of a person who became overweight after being operated on by an overweight doctor. The "fat spirit" left the doctor and entered the patient through the operation, said the End Time preacher

In addition to believing that Charles Meade has been called to establish God's Perfect community on Earth, they believe:Newspapers, radio and television are instruments of the devil. Animals—even images of animals —harbor demons, therefore End Timers don't have pets. (A former member says that she placed masking tape over pictures of teddy bears painted on her child's crib for fear that demons would leave the teddy bears and enter her child.) To say that you are tired is a sin, as God's people are to be empowered with supernatural stamina.

It is a sin to cry, for if you cry you have "lost your joy." Nor do End Timers believe in doctors. Members are encouraged to throw away their eyeglasses and false teeth and are told that sickness is the result of sin and "unbelief."

Since 1978, at least 12 babies belonging to End Time families have died from causes that medical officials say could have been prevented. The victims include 4 -day-old Michael Boehmer, who died in 1989 of internal bleeding, which doctors say could have been prevented with a vitamin K injection. It is the only infant death recorded among the group since the move to Lake City.

Meade's message that his followers are to deny worldly pleasures does not include refusing the world's money. In fact, he preaches that the End Time army, like the God-led Israelites leaving Egypt, should take "the enemy's" riches.

"When God sets you free," Meade preached on one tape, "you see what he did to them. He give them silver and gold and give them plenty, taken it right away from the enemy and give it to his people. I'm telling you the same thing can happen right now. Why should the enemy out here, the ungodly, the unbeliever be handling all the gold?"

Much of Lake City's "gold" is being handled by End Timers. Although they exclude themselves from virtually every other facet of community living, End Time Ministries is well represented in the business community. "Satan is still getting through and touching God's people and it has to be stopped in some way and you have to start training your mind and your thoughtsThe spirit of your mind, this is where things are getting through now.... There's an opening he has found in many and it's through the mind. This is where you've got to stop him.... God revealed it to me that Satan was getting through the mind to his people.... Many are deceived through the mind. Tell your mind even what to think."

"All churches, in his opinion, are of 'whoredom,'

From a Meade sermon: "Maybe some of you don't understand it, but we're doing greater works right now than even Jesus did when he was upon this Earth. I'm telling you, we're getting a people together in a time of trouble and darkness upon this Earth here like man has never assembled before together. And it's one of the hardest tasks a man has ever faced upon this Earth, is to bring a true people together in God, walking in the spirit, believing God's word, getting all healed up and set free and building up an army in this end time for the return of Jesus Christ. There's never been a man who had that task before upon this Earth. And I'm telling you; we're on our way now. We're on our way. We're on our way. He's on our side! He's on our side; I said He's on our side!"http://www.rickross.com/reference/endtimes/endtimes22.html

This town is close to where I live and the "end timers'' are taking over the town, they believe that Lake City is the only place safe from the Apocalypse. While I do respect their right to their faith they have some far out beliefs that they misconstrue as from the bible. They seriously remind me of Waco. One lady who I was discussing the issue with said"" just don't drink their Kool-aid".

We were discussing here awhile ago about these cults who take over small towns, well it is happening here and it is serious say the residents.

How can we deter these cults from taking over our towns?

Always a pleasure

Edited by sandee

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• MysticOnion

• MissMelsWell

• wolfknight

LOL, i don't have much to say about this article other than I know Life Tabernacle in Bellevue WA (it's very close to my Meeting House).

1. Life Tabernacle didn't change the economy of Bellevue. They'd have to compete with the economy Microsoft created here if they were going to do that. LOL. Good luck.

2. Life Tabernacle is a VERY small church (virtually unknown) in a VERY large, very rich, Seattle suburb. These days, Bellevue's skyline looks almost as grand as Seattle's.

3. I'll spot a Life Tabernacle member once in a blue moon. You can't miss them, the women are always accompanied by a man, they cover their hair with scarves and wear white blouses with long to the floor skirts.

Who are they? They're a Pentacostal sect, with doomsday ideals, and a nutcase for a minister from what I hear. However, they're not impacting my neighborhood in any way.

We do have another group up here that's been in the area for geeee, 40+ years? They call themselves the Love Israel family. It's a commune, but not Christian as far as I know. They've been great. They take care of their property, they work in the community... .they're strange, no doubt about that, but they're productive.

The reality is that these groups don't generally stick around for too long, or at least not in large numbers. Their followers get disallusioned when their secret prophesy doesn't come true. Life Tabernacle was a little like that... they used to be bigger, but their numbers have dwindled ot almost nothing because their pastor became more and more inconsistent and erratic. It's pretty rare that groups like Waco stay together that long and come to the end they did.

More often than not, once their pastor, this Mr. Meade passes (he is 74) they will probably fall apart as a "community" that's usually how those things end up.

Edited by MissMelsWell

The best way to stand up to these types is for the followers of the actual religions (in this case christian) to start calling them out, point out the false hoods, the wrong teachings that contradict scriptures, use the scriptures that show how to tell if someone is legit or not. The more they "spread the word" the more we need to be right there correcting. No matter the religion, if everyone of all religions stood up and did this, it would soon put a stop to all the fakes claiming to be this or that, or mixing this belief with that belief, to get people to follow them.

The best way to stand up to these types is for the followers of the actual religions (in this case christian) to start calling them out, point out the false hoods, the wrong teachings that contradict scriptures, use the scriptures that show how to tell if someone is legit or not. The more they "spread the word" the more we need to be right there correcting. No matter the religion, if everyone of all religions stood up and did this, it would soon put a stop to all the fakes claiming to be this or that, or mixing this belief with that belief, to get people to follow them.

That never works... never. Just look at UM to see that.

Mostly, being patient works eventually. It would probably help if locals didn't buy this groups goods or sell to the group, once the supply chain dries up, they lose steam. These small radical groups also have a reputation for falling apart when their leader dies. They don't do well as a cohesive community when they no longer have their charismatic leader to tell them what to do and how to behave.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Could be worse you be taken over Pagans running through the streets naked. Because we have freedom of religion there is not much you can do about groups like that as long as they obey the laws and do no harm to anyone. If I am walking up the street and I see a group like that I just nod my head, smile and keep walking.

Imagine what those Aztecs thought when Cortez brought in that Spanish Cult....

Could be worse you be taken over Pagans running through the streets naked.

You say that like it would be a bad thing. ;)

You say that like it would be a bad thing. ;)

I guess you have never seen naked Pagans. The ones you want to see naked never take off their cloths, the ones you don't want to see naked aways do.

Can anyone say Quack. Are they having there testicles removed too? People are stranger Even Stranger People believe him.

I guess you have never seen naked Pagans. The ones you want to see naked never take off their cloths, the ones you don't want to see naked aways do.

Ain't that the truth! :lol:

Could be worse you be taken over Pagans running through the streets naked. Because we have freedom of religion there is not much you can do about groups like that as long as they obey the laws and do no harm to anyone. If I am walking up the street and I see a group like that I just nod my head, smile and keep walking.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

all cults use the same program...they know enough of the true Word to get people to listen but then the preachers will change small bits...wery small at first and will add to it as time goes on...that way the words the preacher speaks is received as true...the only way to break the hold is with the truth but that is very difficult as it takes time for the truth to sink into the masses...the best way i have found is to have the cultist ask questions of the leaders about Biblical truths...tell the cultists to look for the answer themselves or help them look...eventually you will make headway with them....

randomhit10

I agree as far as correcting a falsehood to someone you know, but if everyone did what you said there would be an all out war. If all religons stood up and and tried to correct as you put it we would see so many sects all thinking they are the right one and forcing religon down throughts. Live and let live. Just b/c we don't understand it, don't make it bad.

I moved from an area about 10 miles from Lake City Florida. All my experiance with these people have been pleasant. They don't try to convert everyone, they just want to live their lives. So they have alot of bussiness in town and the whole group shares the money, I don't think they are hurting anyone.

Live and Let Live. :yes:

Edited by gabolai

I moved from an area about 10 miles from Lake City Florida. All my experiance with these people have been pleasant. They don't try to convert everyone, they just want to live their lives. So they have alot of bussiness in town and the whole group shares the money, I don't think they are hurting anyone.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. They could very well be hurting their people. I'm always leary when groups are required to pool their money and follow a single charasmatic leader. That's usually some of the earmarks of a cult.

Of course there are groups like the Amish who have their way of doing thing that are very different from the rest of society. BUT, the Amish are practicing a lifestyle, NOT a religion necessarily (although of course their religion has a lot to do with the lifestyle). It's a very very fine line to tell when a group has a lifestyle or are being manipulated for a single persons personal gain. The article above suggests this group is being manipulated, but it remains to be seen how it plays out.

I agree as far as correcting a falsehood to someone you know, but if everyone did what you said there would be an all out war. If all religons stood up and and tried to correct as you put it we would see so many sects all thinking they are the right one and forcing religon down throughts. Live and let live. Just b/c we don't understand it, don't make it bad.

I live close to lake city too and while these people do seem pleasant they do tend to stir up all kind of gossip about how the members are recruited and treated. Have you heard about all the babies deaths and several others that died just because simple antibiotics were withheld by Meade? I don't understand every aspect of their beliefs or know all of them but yes they are a cult and they want to keep buying up lake city so they will essentially own it as they think its the savior city safe from the apocalypse. They apparently want all non believers out of the city so they can have run of the " savior city" themselves. I have read several articles about the "church" being under guard guns and all and about the baby graveyards. So they are not innocent as they want you to believe, do some research and you will see that they are very mysterious about their beliefs and will NOT grant any interviews to clear the air as to the baby deaths and the guns in the church.

Always a pleasure

• 10 months later...

I live in lake city right next to the end timers, while now a days they are pretty tame, they use to be a real menace, like it's been said they do believe animals are demons and even went so far as to behead neighbors animals. One of the members told a friend of mine that she was arranged to marry someone since she was born. Meade does have a very strickly guarded home and neighborhood, and every one of them are packing from what I'm told, which would explain some of the gunshots I've heard over the years. There are some wackos out there and quite a few wacko preachers, had one that was caught flashing guys in a public park wanting them to well you know. seems I'm a crazy preacher magnet, thats why I sit in my room with an axe screaming fly me to the dark side of the moon lol j/k.

This is funny because we were just talking about them yesterday, i could throw a rock at them I'm so close (about 20 mins away) and we go through Lake city all the time,all the members drive brand new cars, they marry very young girls and they are armed, why? I guess its good to know i live in a safe Apocalypse free zone.. :blink:

PS: I'm glad to see i have neighbors close to me here on UM.. :tu:

This is funny because we were just talking about them yesterday, i could throw a rock at them I'm so close (about 20 mins away) and we go through Lake city all the time,all the members drive brand new cars, they marry very young girls and they are armed, why? I guess its good to know i live in a safe Apocalypse free zone.. :blink:

PS: I'm glad to see i have neighbors close to me here on UM.. :tu:

They likely are armed because they consider themselves "warriors" for god. It seems like a recuring theme throughout many cults and fringe groups. Maybe it gives them a sense of power, or furthers their delusion. Not really sure though. The danger comes when a group like that decides that they want to create bombs and blow up innocents. There is alot more to being a "warrior" than having the ability to take lives. These people are fools.

"Where in Lake City do they live"

They live off of SR 100, the road that goes to lake butler, off of Price Creek Road if I'm not mistaken.

Lake City Florida End Timers, How do we deter these cults from taking over our towns?

Wonder if that's what the Jews said about 2000 years ago when the Christians appeared on the scene?

If the cults take over towns it is obviously because they are better fulfilling the needs of the people. The question then becomes what are these needs? The second question is if they fear the world and the world fears them who wins in the end but fear itself? Cults expect you to conform and so does society but when someone is different they are viewed with suspicion. It sounds like people are more alike than they like to admit. I simply accept society and cults for they all fulfill their functions while at the same time having problems.

Edited by Rosewin

If the cults take over towns it is obviously because they are better fulfilling the needs of the people. The question then becomes what are these needs? The second question is if they fear the world and the world fears them who wins in the end but fear itself? Cults expect you to conform and so does society but when someone is different they are viewed with suspicion. It sounds like people are more alike than they like to admit. I simply accept society and cults for they all fulfill their functions while at the same time having problems.

The delusion of belonging, community, and purpose. A leader with initiative, goals, and charisma. Sometimes cults answers needs the common organized religion fails to, though balanced and clear minds know better.

Cult is not always negative regardless of the sensationalist media and the audience who will believe whatever television tells them.

It is also doubtful we can ever truly know something from the outside or learn something from someone who was once on the inside but is now bitter.

In the end cults know more about society than we know about them so they have the advantage leaving the rest to simply want to shut down what they fear or do not know. Cults are rarely a threat to society but society is always a threat to cults because they perceive cults to be a threat to society.

Edited by Rosewin

Cult is not always negative regardless of the sensationalist media and the audience who will believe whatever television tells them.

It is also doubtful we can ever truly know something from the outside or learn something from someone who was once on the inside but is now bitter.

In the end cults know more about society than we know about them so they have the advantage leaving the rest to simply want to shut down what they fear or do not know. Cults are rarely a threat to society but society is always a threat to cults because they perceive cults to be a threat to society.

Hey Rose - how are you today? Seems like you have a mission.

We can see eye to eye on some things but on others we don't and I think this is one where we don't. Cults put strange ideas into peoples heads and cause them to commit crimes and acts out of loyalty - its kind of like gang membership except they have a belief in God. They break up families, cause people to commit suicide and brainwash people as well. Its not that others want to shut them up or something its that they care about the people caught up in them and doing things they wouldn't normally do - because of someone's idea of God and how to worship. Cult leaders think they are prophets of God or Christ himself and generally think they are here to save the world and everyone should follow them.

What makes them different from the prophets in the old times when the bible was written? I'll tell you - the ancient prophets etc are dead and gone and moved on - nothing you can do about that, you can't test them for illnesses - you can't question them in a controlled environment - and you can't prove or disprove anything - simply because they are deceased. New cult leaders clearly come across as being mentally disturbed, and the people who follow them and agree with that need something and they think thats it.