Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The orgins of the Psi Idea.

jay123

The origins of Psi.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. So Were did the Psi Idea Stem From?

• Dragonball-z or similar.
    • Trial and error
    • The truth.
    • a misunderstanding in science.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DfizzleShizzle

• drakonwick

• Im-postle-able

• Mahtu

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't understand that question...so i guessed

Angel x

I voted fantasy cartoons, anime etc. But, I would have also went with fantasy toons as

well as a misunderstanding of science.

Edited by Moro Bumbleroot

I do see why Dragon Ball Z coulda started it..With the whole beam outta the hand sthing (Never watched it, jus seen commercials for games and crap) But, the whole idea of psi has been around for centuries...Anime couldn't of done it...

Great range of answers.. no "all in the mind" or "wishfull thinking" :rolleyes:

The truth..Thats it..End of story...

So nothing could change you mind at all? You know.. thoes pesky facts & contradictory evidence? Ok.. this is what we call fanaticism... oh well...

I will admit that some people are drawn to it because of things they've seen in movies or on TV, but some come here because they have already themselves used psi and want to learn more about it. And some of those people that get interested from movies and tv come to these boards or try psi and find it all to be true. It differs from person to person. Some people treat it like a game and make claims to be all-powerful and some are serious about the subject and want to learn more. Some already can use some psi abilities and want to try others to see what they're good at. It all depends on the person...

Edited by Mahtu

Yes, because everyone knows that psi claims have only been around since the advent of children's cartoons in the 60's. DUH.

Really, though, I have no idea. I've never met anyone who claimed to be a psychic.

Edited by inkblot

no "all in the mind" or "wishfull thinking"

Not in the poll options. But I'll have a slice of that, please.

Yes, this stuff is old.

For the psi-ball, experienced meditators know that hand gestures have a long history in Buddhist practice, and more generally in Indian religion and dance. Holding the hand in a fixed pose for a while leads to attention-holding physical sensation, and can have psychological effects as well.

Excuse me, spiritual effects. Which, for yogis include things that have that superpower ring to them.

Anyway, the searchable term is mudra.

The psi-ball gesture is #19 (single hand version illustrated, but double hand is attested) on this display of Indian dance gestures:

http://www.cyberkerala.com/kathakali/mudra.htm

The pinwheel is similar to things still done with candles, and was no doubt done with oil lamps long before that, and before that with torches or cooking fires back in the caves.

I doubt too many contemporary youngsters are up on that, however, and the question was "So, what do you think draws so many people on this board to the idea of Psi?"

What contemporary youngsters are up on, cartoons and comic books, duh.

Not in the poll options. But I'll have a slice of that, please.

Yes, this stuff is old.

For the psi-ball, experienced meditators know that hand gestures have a long history in Buddhist practice, and more generally in Indian religion and dance. Holding the hand in a fixed pose for a while leads to attention-holding physical sensation, and can have psychological effects as well.

Excuse me, spiritual effects. Which, for yogis include things that have that superpower ring to them.

Anyway, the searchable term is mudra.

The psi-ball gesture is #19 (single hand version illustrated, but double hand is attested) on this display of Indian dance gestures:

http://www.cyberkerala.com/kathakali/mudra.htm

The pinwheel is similar to things still done with candles, and was no doubt done with oil lamps long before that, and before that with torches or cooking fires back in the caves.

I doubt too many contemporary youngsters are up on that, however, and the question was "So, what do you think draws so many people on this board to the idea of Psi?"

What contemporary youngsters are up on, cartoons and comic books, duh.

well, i have to agree with you there, most people(usually teens, like me), begin practicing such abilities, because they saw some dude on tv shooting fire out of his hands(or something like that), but usually, everybody who spends time to get to know what's it all about, realise that everything shown in sci-fi shows, is not even close to what is real(theoretically).