Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is Psi?

jay123

A couple of the sites I checked above seem to have the brain wave method of detection. I've seen shows where this is claimed to exist. But, skeptics point that you can easily manipulate data.

The one that I kind of followed that had the greatest interest to me was the tapping of the subconscious mind, where the dream state was analyzed during rest, then during full consciousness they looked for repetition of patterns. Some people seemed to make sporadic decisions that went against what could be assumed to be expected, with better than average outcome.

They were given a choice of several courses of action, and it seemed they would spontaneously follow something out of the norm, on a hunch. They then got reward with something that should have been unpredictable.

This awareness through dreams is often indicated throughout time. Biblical references are given for enlightenment through dreams. And, many interpreters abound on the Inet even.

It's interesting, as dreams are not well understood, and why things happen the way they do in the subconscious state. That some could make better decisions, and certain patterns become prominent in mental activity that were similar to a prior state, is quite interesting. I think.

hmmm... I don't know much about the dreams or subconscious roots of psi. I take the opposite approach, to try and be totally 'aware'. It doesn't really enable me to say I have psi, but for me awareness seems to enable me to sometimes appear like I have psi, like sometimes the phone rings and I'll tell my wife its so and so, and sure enough I guessed it right. But, being 'aware' I intuitively deduce who it is (I'm not always right!) based on the fact that certain people tend to call at certain times after a certain period of time with no phone calls. In a sense, I am aware of disparate facts but that awareness gives me a strong intuition.

Hopefully that makes sense

For more information on 'awareness' look up on a web search the teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurthi. He's not my guru or anything but has some good ideas.

In the meantime I'll look into to this concept of dreams and subconsious. Lastly I sucked at the psi tests on the sites I listed in my previous posts.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DfizzleShizzle

• signal7

• drakonwick

• AngelOfMusic

hmmm... I don't know much about the dreams or subconscious roots of psi. I take the opposite approach, to try and be totally 'aware'. It doesn't really enable me to say I have psi, but for me awareness seems to enable me to sometimes appear like I have psi, like sometimes the phone rings and I'll tell my wife its so and so, and sure enough I guessed it right. But, being 'aware' I intuitively deduce who it is (I'm not always right!) based on the fact that certain people tend to call at certain times after a certain period of time with no phone calls. In a sense, I am aware of disparate facts but that awareness gives me a strong intuition.

Hopefully that makes sense

For more information on 'awareness' look up on a web search the teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurthi. He's not my guru or anything but has some good ideas.

In the meantime I'll look into to this concept of dreams and subconsious. Lastly I sucked at the psi tests on the sites I listed in my previous posts.

I googled for "dreams premonition" and there's a few sites I get. I'm talking loosely on a few shows I saw, but here you go:

http://mainportals.com/precog.shtml

seems to be a site where you can log something that you fell may happen, before it does. Doesn't look very scientific, but I'm aware Sleep Studies sometimes branch into premonition. Where someone indicates that a dream they had seemed to be of a future occurrence yet to happen.

Search terms for this type phenomenon: premonition, dream prediction, precognitive

I googled for "dreams premonition" and there's a few sites I get. I'm talking loosely on a few shows I saw, but here you go:

http://mainportals.com/precog.shtml

seems to be a site where you can log something that you fell may happen, before it does. Doesn't look very scientific, but I'm aware Sleep Studies sometimes branch into premonition. Where someone indicates that a dream they had seemed to be of a future occurrence yet to happen.

Search terms for this type phenomenon: premonition, dream prediction, precognitive

thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

there was once when I had a dream of an airline crash and I woke up the next morning and there had been a jet that crashed, but that was the only time I could say I had a precognitive dream, if that's what it was.

On a related note, once I woke up in the middle of the night, around 2:30 am, for no reason, and 5 seconds later there was an earthquake tremor, I always thought that was interesting, since I never wake up in the middle of the night....

thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

there was once when I had a dream of an airline crash and I woke up the next morning and there had been a jet that crashed, but that was the only time I could say I had a precognitive dream, if that's what it was.

On a related note, once I woke up in the middle of the night, around 2:30 am, for no reason, and 5 seconds later there was an earthquake tremor, I always thought that was interesting, since I never wake up in the middle of the night....

Actually, there was quite a bit of those who claimed premonition status for 9/11, one of the most famous a woman in NYC who also worked part-time for the NYPD as a psychic adviser. They promoted her for awhile, and she was even listed on the Jamaican woman's site. You know the one, that used to have that 900 number when they were famous.

Disasters are the most significant events that some have foreshadowing thoughts of. Earthquakes are prominent, and I recall a gentlemen that at the time had nearly 40% accuracy at predicting earth quakes. I forget his name, and many disclaimed him. Some say he was statistical, as so many occur each hear, and he predicted at least 14 per high incident area. But, in some instances, he gave apt description. Like Kobe, Japan. Where the quakes destruction was described by him with pretty good detail, accurately, beforehand.

Actually, there was quite a bit of those who claimed premonition status for 9/11, one of the most famous a woman in NYC who also worked part-time for the NYPD as a psychic adviser. They promoted her for awhile, and she was even listed on the Jamaican woman's site. You know the one, that used to have that 900 number when they were famous.

Disasters are the most significant events that some have foreshadowing thoughts of. Earthquakes are prominent, and I recall a gentlemen that at the time had nearly 40% accuracy at predicting earth quakes. I forget his name, and many disclaimed him. Some say he was statistical, as so many occur each hear, and he predicted at least 14 per high incident area. But, in some instances, he gave apt description. Like Kobe, Japan. Where the quakes destruction was described by him with pretty good detail, accurately, beforehand.

Yea, I remember hearing tons of people cancled there flights on 9/11, just because they had a bad feeling about it...

Yea, I remember hearing tons of people cancled there flights on 9/11, just because they had a bad feeling about it...

People may have canceled for ordinary reasons, and then after the crash their minds were playing tricks on them.

I highly doubt that...Because if that was the case, then everyday the number of people who cancled flights would be the same as in 9/11...Which they are not..

I highly doubt that...Because if that was the case, then everyday the number of people who cancled flights would be the same as in 9/11...Which they are not..

Can you back that claim up with reliable evidence?

I cna back it up with the claim that if the number of flights cancled happened everyday, the air travel industry would have a hard time...

I cna back it up with the claim that if the number of flights cancled happened everyday, the air travel industry would have a hard time...

Well go then, back it up.

Actually precog is true. I have some strange things that happened to me that was mainly precog. And it helped me lots of times. Sometimes I ignore that feeling and the outcome was worse

Actually precog is true. I have some strange things that happened to me that was mainly precog. And it helped me lots of times. Sometimes I ignore that feeling and the outcome was worse

There are many other possible explanations though that could easily describe this, not subconscious reactions to hormones or your brain just figuring out things subconsciously.

What you describe in no way supports precognition or provides any evidence for it.

Favorite transcript, still available, of those who refused to accept, from an office window view:

"There's this plane, and it's getting closer..."

Some escape willfully from the mind, others think on it...it's all the same...

And, thanks to your 'ma bell slip-approach, they're text now, available for search. Yeah, incl. the Osama Drama...

There are many other possible explanations though that could easily describe this, not subconscious reactions to hormones or your brain just figuring out things subconsciously.

What you describe in no way supports precognition or provides any evidence for it.

I have observed many reasons. But precog is still the most likely reason. I was very careful to research on other effects. And now I am very sure it is precog.

I think I read somewhere that sometimes animals can sense when an earthquake is soon to happen, supposedly they 'feel' the earth's magnetic flux changing due to tectonic shifts...

Dean Radin's book, "The Entangled Universe" gave a few examples of psi precognition of 9-11. No one definitely came out in the days before and said, "Hey terrorists are going to crash jets into the WTC!" but they posted some vague references to visions of tall buildings crumbling and associated commotion on some psi testing websites.

Interestingly, Radin's data from psi testing links reported a curiously negative decrease in psi ability on 9-10 or 9-11-01, as though people with psi were subconsciously repressing their abilities because of the terrible scenes. I'd upload his graph when I get a chance, show's psi tests' performance on a weekly basis for all of 2001.

In general, those claiming psi abilities need to back up their claims with demonstrable abilities, not just vague and fuzzy generalities. Even I am skeptical of my own experiences two posts earlier on this thread. I chalk it up to coincidence (for now...)

stevemc2

I have observed many reasons. But precog is still the most likely reason. I was very careful to research on other effects. And now I am very sure it is precog.

there are other explanations that psi or precog. Check out this topic from psychology, "latent inhibition." There was a study in 2003 by Shelly Carson of Harvard U on it.

Latent inhibition is the amount of retaining of trivial info we keep in our subconsious memory, for example most people forget all the insignificant details of their daily experiences, and thus higher "latent inhibition" is what allows normal people to multi-task in their daily routines. For example, driving to work while talking to a passenger and drinking coffee.

People who are very creative and/or intelligent tend to not forget all the small details are said to have low "latent inhibition", and thus for example you see the absentminded professor or artist who has trouble paying attention (maybe there is also a link to ADD but that's another issue.)

Anyway, the people with low latent inhibition tend to see more coincidences, more deja vu, and can connect seemingly disparate events in their minds.

Maybe this could be an answer, may you have some degree of precognitive ability.

Like Plato said, "Know thyself" !!!

As for me, I must have low latent inhibition, I can't drive my car and have a conversation, once someone asked me when we almost got to our hotel to translate something from Spanish to Russian and I drove around the hotel 3 times since I got so absorbed in my own thoughts... and they interrupted me asking "Why the hell do you keep driving in circles, just park!"