Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stairway to Heaven in Reverse

colorless

Stairway To Heaven was written with good intentions. I don't think they would take so much time in writing a song like this just to add some satanic message when you play it backwards.

If you believe that this was purposely done, then you should pick any song, no matter what type of music it is, and play it backwards and see what you get. If the supposed satanic words were not supplied to you, you would never think it was satanic, but instead you would just realise that it happens when you play a song backwards! And just think... I wonder who first discovered these satanic lyrics? Ya, and you know the answer? A stoner, who was hopped up on who knows what, who played the track backwards and though he was hearing the devil. Word got out, and people believe it because of how interesting it sounded.

Robert Plant in an interview said that "putting messages on the end, that's not my idea of making music. It's really sad. the first time I heard it was early in the morning when I was living at home, and I heard it on a news program. I was absolutely drained all day. I walked around, and I couldn't actually believe, I couldn't take people seriously who could come up with sketches like that. There are a lot of people who are making money there, and if that's the way they need to do it, then do it without my lyrics. I cherish them far too much."

I hardly believe they would take the care to write this song, and contradict the whole meaning by placing satanic lyrics into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• Hans Dolbrook

• colorless

• Faeden

Ok, it's kinda creepy cause I got this new computer and a mic, and I just sang (yes, I WAS SINGING!) with no music in the background or anything, in my own voice, the lyrics that were on that site...And to hear myself saying satanic messages... *shuddering*

Of course it wasn't perfectly crystal clear like those, but I can hear the words quite well.

my brother and I played some of his music backward on the computer to see what we could hear, and out of 4 songs, all of them said somthing about God or Satan, and one of them said "the old lady sits. the old lady, she's lost it. She prays to God and greased her donkey."

but if you think about the stairway to heaven lyrics for that one verse, they make no sense at all. That, and the fact that all that is said in reverse is related to Satan in such a small part of the song make me believe it was intentional. and the whole thing about Jimmy Page being in the Church of Satan, or whatever

I just listened to a bunch of my sound files backwars, and i have a song from the cartoon "ren and stimpy" that i played backwards and translated... it came out like this:

Wee! No you’re a rock-hard moon yall! Yeah my nostril is ver-ry big NO! Beer, no yall! Is that that musk screw loose? Fear my douse, and awful! Share it now

jimmybackwards.wav

Edited by Jesus_Freak

i found another song where my brother, who's singing, says tons of stuff... like

"here's to my Satan"

"i know you, rush to the lord"

"in meadows"

"no place like (gibberish) stay the night for a night"

"taylor odd, where's your boobies?"

"flash me"

it happens in every song.

Hi all

I'm so sorry if I offend anyone here, but this is my honest opinion, if anyone actually believes this crap then they should take a look at there own gullibility.

Personally I think its all rubbish, I mean most of this started in the early 80s when there was a mass panic in America and Britain that "devil worship" and Satanism was huge, and children and animals where being sacrificed by the 1000s (which was later proved to be not true) and that it was just the work of fundamentalist Christians. It was lead by a Christian fundamentalist from the deep south of America I cant remember his name, but he went on TV as much as he could, both in America and the UK, and caused stupid people to become paranoid, he also said that rock music was satanic, and that it had satanic verses in it that could be placed onto the human mind when played backward without the listener even knowing about it. It was him that first clamed this to the press, soon after the claim was made people like Ozzy Osborun thought 'that’s a cool idea to get free publicity' so they started to put wording playing backwards on there tracks so when they where played backward you could hear people saying things like "kill your parents" or "Kill your self" or "Fu** Jesus" "Do it now" and so on, and so on. You only got these so called subliminal messages because the rock stars thought that the fundamentalists claim was a good way to exploit stupid people into getting there records free advertising, so thanks to the fundamentalist Christian, so called "demonic rock" sold more than ever, well isn’t that ironic. I think irony works great.

Isn’t it strange that Judas Priest was targeted? He was hated by many religious people because of the name "Judas priest". Marilyn Manson and others like Slipknot and Godsmack are modern day victims of religious slander and lies, it all stems from spiritual paranoia and craziness, poor old Marilyn Manson just want to make music, but he’s constantly accused of brainwashing children into devil worship, and being threatened with court just because the fundies with nothing better to do are accusing him of trying to cause teenagers to commit suicide or shoot there school mates, Where ever the man goes there are born again protesters trying to stop him making records and going on tour, when the guy in real life is actually just an intelligent shy guy minding his own business and making a buck like anyone else.

What these stupid brainwashed religious people dont realise is the more they complain and shout about it the more Manson’s records are being given free advertising, and as Manson says theirs no such thing as bad advertising. Manson must love Christian fundamentalists they must put a new car on his drive on a weekly basis.

People that believe this stuff are a rock stars dream. Is it good to profit from others stupidity? well I say yes if they deserve it.

Music never made anyone do anything, if someone hears a song and then goes out and kills someone (or them selves) they obviously have something wrong with them in the first place, or are just evil, (or both)

The judge in one of the 80s court cases made a factual point about words in songs, (if you listen to a song to hear something expecting to hear it, then of course you will hear it, its like if you look into the clouds expecting to see a face, sooner or later you will do) But after a while all the rock stars where doing it on purpose because they knew it would get them publicity. The judge soon threw the case out of court when he realised how stupid the claims where.

Blaming musicians and music is just an easy target, and they make good scapegoats, it takes the responsibility away from the culprit, it clouds the reality and the reality of what caused the problem in the first place is what is hard for many to deal with. Its dangerous to be blaming rock bands, because all the time your doing that, your ignoring the real cause of the situation which could be even more dangerous. When are people going to learn, we all have free will "The Devil" never makes us do anything WE DO………

all the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

Faeden,

I agree with you 100%. Christian fundamentalists who claim rock musicians are "satanist" have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They say because either their parents have brought them up that way or the church has taught them that. Don't they have minds of their own? Can't they think for themselves?

That would also be very hypocrital of christians since there are christian rock bands as well. I'm also shocked that people coudl actually have the ordasity to anything like this. Stairtway To Heaven is a beautiful song, on a number of occasions it has been called the Greatest song of all time. Does that mean it should be subject to the bashing these people give it? No of course not.

But this does happen often, examples are when Iron Maiden had the album "Number Of The Beast", the band had even asked the religious order if it was acceptable, and it was fine. Yet, as many bands have, they were subject to this "satanic" bull****. Why does Christians dislike Rock music so much? How is music going to affect their business *ahem* religion?

I've also heard another story of a boy, he listened to Judas Priest. It was found out that one of their songs had incriminating words backwards. One day this boy and his friend had made a suicide pact. The kid had ran around the street with a disfigured face shocking the town. The other boy had killed himself. The parents were in shock, so they had blamed the music he listened to. Did they ever think that just maybe, JUST MAYBE, they were bad parents. I don't know why people have to have something to blame other than themselves. Of course music being an easy target, Judas Priest had been sued, I didn't say the outcome but here's the link: http://www.reversespeech.com/judas.htm

Rant over.

Well, apparently it's true. My father is into that music (not for the sataniocs messages) and yes, he knows about the satanic messages in it if you play it backwards. Even my mother knew about it and she hates that kind of music (she's more an r'n'b/funk/disco person - and yeah, she likes rap too tongue.gif ). So, seeing as this is music from their generation, and they klnow about it, I'd say it's true.

The reason these messages are found in music is not just because people make them that way, but because 1. alot of people claim to sell their souls for rock music (all music probably), and two, satan has some control over music. Most people already know that. So the messages you're finding may not have even been made intentionally. That's not to say ALL music is evil, there's good and bad in everything, and that includes every genre of music.

Hi Tredmond

Very true, There was also evidence that some churches in America and some other countries where putting subliminal messages in there church service music to make people give more generously to the collection plate in the same way that supermarkets where playing music that was supposed to influence people to buy certain products, whether its true or not I dont know, but there is proof that cinemas in the 70s and 80s where flashing coke a cola logos up on the screen before the movies to influence people to buy coke, that was proven and banned.

Hi Ashley-Star*Child

No music is evil Ashley, its just music, Satan doesn’t control music. The Easter bunny did not kill Santa claws either.

All the best

Faeden

The reason these messages are found in music is not just because people make them that way, but because 1. alot of people claim to sell their souls for rock music (all music probably), and two, satan has some control over music. Most people already know that. So the messages you're finding may not have even been made intentionally. That's not to say ALL music is evil, there's good and bad in everything, and that includes every genre of music.

475441[/snapback]

That's absurd. I can't believe you actually said that. For starters, Satan (If he exists) has NO control over music whatsoever. Also what is interesting is that EVEN if there was intentional backmasking in Stairway To Heaven it's almost useless anyway. http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_cul5.htm

Here's a quote from the site:

"What do researchers say about backmasking?

Psychologists, psychiatrists, and advertising experts have reached a near consensus that backmasking would be useless for three reasons:

-Subliminal messages are generally ineffective or quite limited in their influence.

-A message recorded backwards is unintelligible when the record played forwards. It could not be understood even if it was played apart from the music.

-A backmasked message superimposed on a musical passage would be itself masked by the music so that it would not readily be heard."

Now of course, if you're LISTENING for the words satan or something incriminating you could almost definitely hear it somewhere backwards in any song (Yes, even Christian Music). There is also no such thing as "evil" music, Satan cannot possess peoples souls and Santa isn't real. Rant over.

Hi Tredmond

Very true, There was also evidence that some churches in America and some other countries where putting subliminal messages in there church service music to make people give more generously to the collection plate in the same way that supermarkets where playing music that was supposed to influence people to buy certain products, whether its true or not I dont know, but there is proof that cinemas in the 70s and 80s where flashing coke a cola logos up on the screen before the movies to influence people to buy coke, that was proven and banned.

475757[/snapback]

That's quite an interesting piece of information you have there. If it's true, Scientists have already said that Subliminal Messages are near useless (Look at my last post) and I know it was used for Cinema products at some stage. Anyway, my point basically is that, there is no backmasking in Stairway To Heaven, there's genuine backmasking in some songs, but that's obviously a joke with Christian fundamentalists who look for backmasking in songs. Some genuine backmasking is Good-bye Blue Sky By Pink Floyd , The Beatles song, Rain, which sounds like gibberish foward, and Iron Maiden's Still Life. That can all be found on the link I posted here in my last post.

Tredmond

475441[/snapback]

That's absurd. I can't believe you actually said that. For starters, Satan (If he exists) has NO control over music whatsoever. Also what is interesting is that EVEN if there was intentional backmasking in Stairway To Heaven it's almost useless anyway. http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_cul5.htm

Here's a quote from the site:

"What do researchers say about backmasking?

Psychologists, psychiatrists, and advertising experts have reached a near consensus that backmasking would be useless for three reasons:

-Subliminal messages are generally ineffective or quite limited in their influence.

-A message recorded backwards is unintelligible when the record played forwards. It could not be understood even if it was played apart from the music.

-A backmasked message superimposed on a musical passage would be itself masked by the music so that it would not readily be heard."

Now of course, if you're LISTENING for the words satan or something incriminating you could almost definitely hear it somewhere backwards in any song (Yes, even Christian Music). There is also no such thing as "evil" music, Satan cannot possess peoples souls and Santa isn't real. Rant over.

476510[/snapback]

No, it's not 'absurd'. I never said music was evil, if you read it properly you would have read that. However, satan still has influence over it. It's not the music itself, it's what people do with it, like drugs. You may not believe in it, but that doesn't change the reality of it existing, the world my dear, does not revolve around your belief, or there lack of.

And, as for Christian music having it, I'm not at all surprised. I never said satan didn't get into the church. My word, he does.

However, satan still has influence over it. It's not the music itself, it's what people do with it, like drugs. You may not believe in it, but that doesn't change the reality of it existing, the world my dear, does not revolve around your belief, or there lack of.

476585[/snapback]

And you can prove the existence of this "satan" can you? Didn't think so. Satan has NO influence on music whatsoever, and Jimmy Page was only INTERESTED in the occult, he was never part of any satanist group of some sort. People say Satan has influence on music basically to bash, but I'm not saying that you are, because you're not, it's just that my beliefs on this conflict with yours. We'll just leave it at that, okay?

Tredmond

I've lost track of who asked this a couple of pages back, but Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star was written by Mozart when he was four years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Feelings are transmitted through music, yet the music itself is not evil.

Certain programs can play audio files in reverse. Sound Recorder, which you should have if you're using Windows can do so.

Any sound editing software worth it's salt should give you that cababilaty.

A lot of beatles songs ans early FoW stuff has similar messages, few intentional, however.

search reverse stairway to heavan on google. They'll be a flash link that plays it.

search reverse stairway to heavan on google. They'll be a flash link that plays it.

490461[/snapback]

if you think that is good there is one on purpose on one of the pink floyd songs. it says

"Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm" it is on the wall record

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry, but that crap is edited and not real. For it to be what they are saying backwords it has to corresponded with how the original lyrics read like backwords and it doesn't. Of course if you want real backwords messages, go listen to Cradle of Filth...hehe  devil.gifrolleyes.gif

128851[/snapback]

Usually if somebody has lyrics listed for you to look for, your ears will hear what those people want you to hear. If you were to never see "lyrics" listed anywhere, you wouldn't hear things about Satan. It's all about the power of suggestion: if I were to have never heard of this mystery, I wouldn't have heard words that SOUNDED like "Sweet Satan". I guess it has to do with what you want to believe and what you don't. I don't think it was intentional, but that's my opinion.

Ok this is going to date me big time. I bought the album Stair Way to Heaven when it first came out. I still have it. After I had it a while it got a big scratch on it. I had heard about the backwards message so I figure the album was recked anyway so I put it on my old turn table, that had a neutral speed in which you could spin it backwards. Yup it was there. Plain as day. I don't remember quite what was said. Something about "My Satan, My sweet Satan. I didn't really care I loved that album. I replaced it with an eight track. I now have it on CD.

I you really listen to the song lyrics it is a Pagan song.

"If you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last. When all is one and one is all."

My favorite song on it is Black Dog though.

Edited by Darkwind

Cradle Of Filth - Dinner At Deviant's Palace

[backwards]

Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come.

Thy will be done, as in heaven, so on earth.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

I listen to it all the time, and if you play it the right way it says the above

134074[/snapback]

Why would their be a christain message when played backwards? Don't you think that's kinda weird for them?

455152[/snapback]

Another gimmick from the 'Filth. I lost any respect for this band after Cruelty and the Beast, and the fact they released 20 different t-shirt designs every week...

anyways, forgive my ignorance, but how do you play a cd backwards???

Hoagy