Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl 'looks like alien' after using hair dye

Owlscrying

linked-image

linked-image

A teenage girl has vowed never to use hair dye again after using a treatment that made her face swell up "like an alien".

Lois Queen, 13, had to be hospitalised in severe pain after using L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss in chocolate brown. She suffered a severe allergic reaction after applying the lotion and her face is still puffy ten days later.

"The pain was intense," she said. "It was terrifying. "Within hours of using it my eye went red and itchy, then the swelling started.

"The next morning I could barely open my eyes. "It was so painful. I thought I was going blind and dying. My head was such a weird shape I looked like an alien."

Lois bought the hair dye from a shop near her home in Mottingham, south London, so she could colour her hair for her 14th birthday party next month.

She followed instructions on the pack and applied it with help from her mother but her face ballooned. Doctors gave her steroids and antihistamines but Lois said she needed to go back three times for more treatment.

Her mother Lorna said: "The doctor said she was lucky to avoid permanent eye damage.

go

Edited by Owlscrying

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regency

• Papaver

• tigger

• Jaguat

Top Posters In This Topic

this is why the instructions say to test a small peice of the dye behind either your ear on in the crook of your elbow

this is why the instructions say to test a small peice of the dye behind either your ear on in the crook of your elbow

That's what I thought to. At least the stupidity didn't go unpunished...

Edited by __Kratos__

Lol - who does that?

oops I suppose she thought that too :lol:

Edit: luckily my stupidity has gone unpunished so far.

Edited by Belqis

Vanity is punished again lol.....

As Tigger said, there are instructions to read for any kind of allergy reactions....My daughter did the same thing with a special face cream that blew her face up like a tick....After a few days she was back to normal, but had to take antibiodics....It's scary though....

Lol - who does that?

oops I suppose she thought that too :lol:

Edit: luckily my stupidity has gone unpunished so far.

So has mine, lol. I have never done a strand test and I've always been okay, luckily. I shall pay more careful attention in future Poor baby, what a horrible reaction to have, I bet she won't do that again! I'd say the swelling will go down eventually with more antihistamine and stuff, it wouldn't stay like that, and I guess that means it is the first time she's done it, I mean, could it be that she has done it before and this is a bad batch that she used or something?

Allergies can actually be even more serious than this poor girl suffered. In some cases a person's breathing can become affected (their airway swells shut), people can die from severe allergic reactions. I have to carry an Epi-pen (injectable medication) with me due to having a bad reaction to hornet stings. :(

Wow what a pretty girl. Ashame she never learned to read. Hope she gets better

I'm going back to Lilly's post about hornet stings...Again, my daughter, the same one with the blown up face, was young and at a soccer game, when she was stung by a bee...Never having been stung, the allergic reaction was horrifying..We got her to the ER right away and fortunately it didn't affect her breathing, just swelling of the hands where she was bit...Now a neighbor, took a drink of soda in a can that he had outside...A bee had gotten into the soda, he drank and swallowed it and his throat swelled immediately up...Fortunately he was taken to the hospital right away where they administered antibiodics and he was o.k...The Epi-pen is excellent to keep with you....

It is strange what people are allergic to. If I put on wool gloves, my fingers swell up a tiny bit.

And as far as reading instructions ? Most people don't. ( Sadly, that usually includes me )

Oh my that is terrible. I do not understand why it is being compared to looking 'like an alien'. Maybe the greys are just victims of bad cosmetics?

It is possible to have an allergic reaction to something even if it's never caused you problems before. It can happen at any time. A few years ago my mother in law peeled a kiwi fruit for her Grandson, something she'd done literally dozens of times before with no reaction but last time she did it, her lips and eyelids swelled up and so did her tongue. She found it hard to breath and had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.

Now she cannot handle kiwi fruits at all. Weird things, allergies.

Here comes another frivolous lawsuit. :D

...A bee had gotten into the soda, he drank and swallowed it and his throat swelled immediately up...Fortunately he was taken to the hospital right away where they administered antibiodics and he was o.k...The Epi-pen is excellent to keep with you....

Actually, they probably initially used antihistamines (usually Epinephrine), as these medicines take down swelling rapidly. Antibiotics are most likely used as a follow up to prevent secondary infection.

Is she sure she would have the same allergic reaction to all kiwi? Maybe that particular piece of fruit came from a crop that used a pesticide or other chemical, or maybe it was GM crops?

Poor girl. I hope she gets better soon.

(Unless she already is.)

Edited by MoonPrincess

This girl ain't gonna be lookin so hott for her birthday lol... well then again she could always go for a themed party... a little ET bash or something perhaps?

Hey! She could even hire some UMers as party planners ;):lol:

Yeah, I've never known anyone that actually does the "strand test". . . I know I never did. My mom used to dye my hair when I was in elementary school, so I guess since I've grown up with it I never assumed it could cause me a problem. But allergies can suddenly develop, so that's always something that you got to keep in mind.

And as far as reading instructions ? Most people don't.

My probable Last Words: "Nah, nobody reads the instructions these days"...

Oh my that is terrible. I do not understand why it is being compared to looking 'like an alien'. Maybe the greys are just victims of bad cosmetics?

maybe because greys are worth it too.