Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space trivia quiz

Waspie_Dwarf

Apollo the Sun God.of Greek mythology symbolizing Apollo flights have extended the light of knowledge to all of Mankind. As for what became of the patch? I know three got wet and the rest is history Lol DONTEATUS :lol:

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• DONTEATUS

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Czero 101

Apollo the Sun God.of Greek mythology symbolizing Apollo flights have extended the light of knowledge to all of Mankind. As for what became of the patch? I know three got wet and the rest is history Lol DONTEATUS :lol:

Incorrect.

Let me be more specific, or at least state my question more clearly:

What was the influence for the Apollo 13 mission patch design, and what eventually became of that inspirational object?

Cz

Incorrect.

Let me be more specific, or at least state my question more clearly:

What was the influence for the Apollo 13 mission patch design, and what eventually became of that inspirational object?

Cz

The three horse design came from an artist named Winter. He had designed a similar mural with 4 horses flying over the Earth, which was on display at the St. Regis Hotel in New York.

linked-image

The mural had been lost for a time, and I think it found its way into Lovell's hands via Tom Hanks. It is currently on display at Lovell's of Lake Forest, a restaurant in Lake Forest, IL.

The three horse design came from an artist named Winter. He had designed a similar mural with 4 horses flying over the Earth, which was on display at the St. Regis Hotel in New York.

linked-image

The mural had been lost for a time, and I think it found its way into Lovell's hands via Tom Hanks. It is currently on display at Lovell's of Lake Forest, a restaurant in Lake Forest, IL.

You are correct, Sir... ;)

Cz

OK, now we'll get a little deeper into trivia...

On July 20, 1969, some time after the Eagle's landing, Buzz Aldrin enacted a religious observance aboard Eagle. A religious man, he had sought for some gesture he could make which he felt would be worthy of the moment when men stood on the surface of the Moon. What he did was to take Communion--he had a small flask of wine, some Communion wafers and a small chalice in his personal kit. Standing there, in the LM, he performed a Communion ceremony, silently reading a small prayer from a card on which he'd written a biblical passage.

No one knew anything about this on the ground, save Deke Slayton, and the general public didn't actually hear about this act for several years after the mission.

At the time, Buzz merely stated the following over the COMM:

"This is the LM pilot speaking. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours, and to give thanks in his or her own way."

He had been warned by Slayton prior to the mission against broadcasting any religious observance or commentary over the air. Basically, Buzz's Communion ceremony was to be a secret.

The trivia question is:

Why?

The trivia question is:

Why?

It's because of the legal battle that took place on Christmas eve of 1968, one of the apollo 8 crew read Genesis 1. ?? xD

It's because of the legal battle that took place on Christmas eve of 1968, one of the apollo 8 crew read Genesis 1. ?? xD

Legatus,

I'm gonna give that one to you!

Precisely speaking , it was due to the legal hassles that resulted from the crew of Apollo 8 reading from the book of Genesis on Christmas Eve, 1968; the lawsuit that was filed by noted atheist (model citizen, and bonified wacko) Madalyn Murray O'Hair in the Supreme Court (dismissed eventually...) which sought to ban any religious reference or public prayer by U.S. Astronauts.

In July 1969, the flap was still going on over that idiotic law suit and NASA sought a modicum of political correctness to mitigate the backlash.

Personally, whether religious or not (and I am not adherent to any organized religion), that moment in December 1968 was awesome, and appropriate...especially in THAT year. Wow, what an awesome thing to do! The emotion of that moment was incredible. Think about that year, if you can remember it, and the sight of our planet...never before seen from space like that...by men who were at the Moon (and who hours ahead, would place their fates in the hands of a single rocket engine that had to work!). Perhaps, Madalyn Murray O'Hair was the only person with the stones and the idiocy to file such a lawsuit.

Of course, she is deader than dead can be now... and her lawsuit was dismissed by the court (due to lack of jurisdiction...which meant, "This is nonsensical baloney"). But NASA felt an obligation to be skittish about such things in the future as a result of a very public lawsuit.

But you've got it right, and thus, you have the next question!!!

Legatus,

But you've got it right, and thus, you have the next question!!!

Yey! I wasn't expecting that I would get the right answer so I didn't prepare a question. ( I really don't know much bout space either. )

Question: What was the first American spacecraft to soft-land on the Moon?

The Surveyor 1 lander 11.000 pics taken May 30,1966 What a shot

The Surveyor 1 lander 11.000 pics taken May 30,1966 What a shot

Great! thought that was an easy question for you and the guys here.

It's your turn to ask a question.

whats the most junk in the trunk we brought back from the moon and what flt? :sk

whats the most junk in the trunk we brought back from the moon and what flt? :sk

I have to assume by "junk in the trunk" you're talking about sample return, and that "what fit" means how much?

If that's the case, the most junk was Apollo 17's.

What fit was 244 pounds of lunar material, rocks, deep cores, soil, etc...

Apollo 17 brought back 110.4 kg (243 lbs) of lunar material, the most of any Moon mission.

Name the only flown LM ascent stage that still exists intact.

Apollo 17 brought back 110.4 kg (243 lbs) of lunar material, the most of any Moon mission.

Name the only flown LM ascent stage that still exists intact.

That would be Apollo 10's Snoopy...in heliocentric orbit.

Here's a trivia question for ya...

Which of the 24 men who flew to the Moon on an Apollo mission lost his wedding ring, and...under what incredible circumstances was it found and recovered by one of his crewmates, a week later?

Here's a trivia question for ya...

Which of the 24 men who flew to the Moon on an Apollo mission lost his wedding ring, and...under what incredible circumstances was it found and recovered by one of his crewmates, a week later?

Apollo 16's Command module pilot, Thomas Kenneth "Ken" Mattingly II or T. Kenneth Mattingly Jr.

Yet I don't know that is was recovered. xD

Maybe the brer rabbit got it? I wonder what John Young meant about the rabbit being back in the berer patch? Mid? any ideas?

Apollo 16's Command module pilot, Thomas Kenneth "Ken" Mattingly II or T. Kenneth Mattingly Jr.

Yet I don't know that is was recovered. xD

You got it Legatus.

Ken Mattingly lost his wedding band inside the CM on day 2 of the Apollo 16 mission, according to Charlie Duke. One week later, they were on their way home from the Moon, when Ken did his EVA in cis-lunar space. Charlie was the EVA guy in the hatch during this EVA, and at one point late in the process, Charlie went back inside for a second and lo and behold, the wedding ring floated up past his head and straight out the hatch, like 180,000 miles out in space.

Charlie relates that he thought it was gone, but what happened was that Ken was out over the hatch, at the the end of an extension pole, and the ring ran into the back of his head, and it was then propelled right back down toward the hatch at a lazy clip and came right back in...where Charlie grabbed it.

Ken never knew it happened.

It was recovered!

Your question.

Maybe the brer rabbit got it? I wonder what John Young meant about the rabbit being back in the berer patch? Mid? any ideas?

Little inside joke thing...

It was a reference to the old Brer Rabbit being thrown into the Briar Patch by Brer Fox story. John was making a reference to the fact that on his 4th space flight, NASA had finally thrown Brer Rabbit (himself) into the Briar Patch (the Moon).

Your makeing this seem easy I bet you have really hard ones to answer Mid

Well, D, I think I can come up with a few whoppers...but I have to be careful not to get technical about them...

But for now, Legatus has the next question!

MID is playing by the rules I set at the start as the other real experts (thanks guys, it is appreciated that you are not showing off but rather turning this into the fun and educational thread I hoped it would be), I didn't want this to get so tough that only a few space nuts could answer. I am rather hoping to get as many people involved as possible. In the mean time I'm looking forward to the next question.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

MID is playing by the rules I set at the start as the other real experts (thanks guys, it is appreciated that you are not showing off but rather turning this into the fun and educational thread I hoped it would be), I didn't want this to get so tough that only a few space nuts could answer. I am rather hoping to get as many people involved as possible. In the mean time I'm looking forward to the next question.

Waspie:

I think it was a hell of a good idea, including the constraints. The potential for some really cool stuff to learn is inherent in your premise. That's what I found compelling at the start!

:tu:

You got it Legatus.

Ken Mattingly lost his wedding band inside the CM on day 2 of the Apollo 16 mission, according to Charlie Duke. One week later, they were on their way home from the Moon, when Ken did his EVA in cis-lunar space. Charlie was the EVA guy in the hatch during this EVA, and at one point late in the process, Charlie went back inside for a second and lo and behold, the wedding ring floated up past his head and straight out the hatch, like 180,000 miles out in space.

Charlie relates that he thought it was gone, but what happened was that Ken was out over the hatch, at the the end of an extension pole, and the ring ran into the back of his head, and it was then propelled right back down toward the hatch at a lazy clip and came right back in...where Charlie grabbed it.

Ken never knew it happened.

It was recovered!

Your question.

Question: Sally Ride became America's first woman in space aboard which orbiter?

Thanks for the Thread Waspie. Although I Don't have that much knowledge about space like you and mid does. :D