Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why would God rely on a book?

norwood1026

what other means do you think will God reveal himself to man? his word (the bible) is accurate. its scientific accuracy is amazing, i had some doubts before about this book but now i can find that it's really accurate. e.g: the dividing of the red sea by moses in which a strong east wind blew the waters apart all night long, the world of science has now a vivid scientific explanation in the phenomena at the red sea. they believed that this particular phenomena could only happen once in every hundred years or thousands (i dont remember the exact detail) which will need a strong east wind to blow the waters apart for a long period of time causing a division of the waters and appearance of dry land. now, if science can explain the exact details of the phenomena, how will YOU explain the exact and precise time that the phenomena happened? i mean, they were (the israelites) on the run and this GOD told moses to stretch his hand above the red sea to divide the water. if science can explain God's wonders just like what the magicians of pharaoh did when GOD plagued egypt, it is impossible to explain the exact timing of phenomenon that only happens rarely.

Here we go again with xians trying to justify the validity of their book by interjecting science into it. I heard something completely different on this subject of the parting of the Red Sea. The scientific interpretation I heard was that during low tide Moses may have crossed the people on a sandbar. This makes much more sense if you think about it.

The Abrahamic God didn't plague Egypt, human beings did that all on their own and then conveniently blamed their god in order to maintain the montheistic fearmongering of the day.

Many things in the bible can be explained thru science but others are so blatently dilussional that they are beyond rational thinking and common sense.

Edited by EmpressV

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• norwood1026

• Beckys_Mom

• Paranoid Android

• will_1835

his word (the bible) is accurate. its scientific accuracy is amazing

The Bible is so inaccurate it beggers belief that any grown person would it otherwise.

Because you won't believe me if I quote an athiest source, here is a source from one of your own, geologist Kurt Wise (director of Center for Origins Research at the creationist Bryan

College, Tennessee), who struggling with his faith conflicting with his studies in geology he decided to settle it once and for all by taking scissors and literally cutting out the bits of a Bible which were scientifically impossible.

He found that there was so little left that:

try as I might, and even with the benefit of intact margins throughout the pages of Scripture, I found it impossible to pick up the Bible without it being rent in two. I had to

make a decision between evolution and Scripture. Either the Scripture was true and evolution was wrong or evolution was true and I must toss out the Bible . . . It was there that night that I accepted the Word of God and rejected all that would ever counter it, including evolution. With that, in great sorrow, I tossed into the fire all my dreams and hopes in science.

Dawkins, God Delusion, pp284, quoting In Six Days: Why 50 Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation

the world of science has now a vivid scientific explanation in the phenomena at the red sea. they believed that this particular phenomena could only happen once in every hundred years or thousands (i dont remember the exact detail) which will need a strong east wind to blow the waters apart for a long period of time causing a division of the waters and appearance of dry land.

This is just a plain lie. There is no scientific reason for it, and typically you haven't referenced - we're supposed to take your word for it.

Even at its minimum, the Red Sea is 18 miles wide. And a whole tribe of people, chased by chariots, are supposed to have made it in one night??

So if we're supposed to the the crossing of the Red Sea as fact, what about the fact that between Exodus 9:3-6, God clearly kills all cattle and livestock in Egypt:

Exodus 9:3 Behold, the hand of the LORD is upon thy cattle which is in the field, upon the horses, upon the asses, upon the camels, upon the oxen, and upon the sheep: there shall be a very grievous murrain.

And yet when it comes to the crossing, they suddenly have all their horses back:

Exodus 14:7 And he took six hundred chosen chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt, and captains over every one of them.

now, if science can explain the exact details of the phenomena, how will YOU explain the exact and precise time that the phenomena happened? i mean, they were (the israelites) on the run and this GOD told moses to stretch his hand above the red sea to divide the water. if science can explain God's wonders just like what the magicians of pharaoh did when GOD plagued egypt, it is impossible to explain the exact timing of phenomenon that only happens rarely.

But you haven't explained it, or shown any proof whatsoever.

Edit - I don't know why I bothered with all that - I know you won't respond, as Bible literalists rarely do when confronted with evidence.

Edited by Emma_Acid_88

why would god rely on a book? the bible was written after man came about. the bible is a product of man. it didnt come down on a cloud directly from god. man made the bible to teach future generations messages found by previous generations, its a book man created to record his beleifs and understanding. i find it interesting you know what god is relying on.

i dont think one needs the bible to find god. christians arent the only people who have found the spiritual side of life.

do you know the bible is the most sold book in the world. i think it wasnt available to the whole world from the beginning because the world wasnt globalised economically. communication wasnt simple a couple of hundred years ago. now you can buy it from any bookstore.

he can create the world but cant give the same rules to everybody in their own tongue at the same time? there is only one simple rule and it is in the bible. jesus said it beautifully and it covers every situation possible. "love thy neighbour as thy self"

i dont think one needs the bible to find god. christians arent the only people who have found the spiritual side of life.
You don't have to believe in a god to be spiritual either

do you know the bible is the most sold book in the world. i think it wasnt available to the whole world from the beginning because the world wasnt globalised economically. communication wasnt simple a couple of hundred years ago. now you can buy it from any bookstore.
Did you know that most of the bibles haven't been purchased by individuals, many of them were given to people in 3rd world countries by invading missionaries.

As we all know there are many who believe that the Qu'ran or the Bible or other sacred text is the word of God. I'm curious if anyone can come up with a plausible answer to the question: Why would God rely on a book? It would seem rather unreliable to me to convey a universal message through writing when the majority of people couldn't even read and when it's so easy for books to be lost and destroyed either through time or deliberate intent. Why would he only reveal himself to that part of the world? What about everybody else who didn't have any ways of having access to the priests, churches, or the Bible itself for so long? And are we forgetting that the Bible itself was denied from the people for hundreds of years and only viewable by church members, so whose to say things weren't altered? Sure he said "spread my word" but why wasn't it just available to to everyone the world over to begin with? He can create the world but can't give the same rules to everybody in there own tongue at the same time?

I wouldn't say that God relys on a book, or a man. A man might rely on a book inspired by God. Most of the books of the Bible were written with an intended purpose. Most of the religious practice, prophecy, ect. was all done in word or action. It usually wasn't written down unless it was to remind the Jewish people of the Old Testament who the one true God was. And why through the Israelites? Why not through everyone? Maybe because everyone would be fighting for glory. We see that the end result for the Jewish nation was shame. How confounding? Christ gets glorified through death and resurrection, Israel gets defeated and exiled. Christ lives on in fame, Israel becomes a target for every blame in the world. But they were God's chosen people! This paradox could only be explained with one reasoning: Glory that was set aside for Israel was reserved unto God. So God came as an Israelite after all their vicarious missions had been passed, and was crucified as their King and Representative. And if all things came into being through God, then all things were redeemed by God unto Himself. Those who believed willfully took part in the better parts of this glory. Those who rejected took part in the shame that is apart from his glory. And as for those that didn't know Him? I don't know. Being a Christian doesn't mean that I have all the answers. It means that I was given a message and I'm expected to give to the recipient(s). That message is Christ is the truth that sets us free, the light that exposes all things, and the way to eternal life.

Did you know that most of the bibles haven't been purchased by individuals, many of them were given to people in 3rd world countries by invading missionaries.

true - they are passing them out like popcorn in Iraq as strings attached for educational material . Missionaries basically pushing christianity on muslims in exchange for education. sad since it's not like they don't know about christanity .

for example - for all those paranoid thinking it's muslims that will force Islam on them.

no pic - wouldn't transfer.

JUST WHAT EVERY IRAQI NEEDS: A BIBLE

Malcom Lagauche

After the invasion, Iraq was flooded with Bibles and U.S. citizens teaching the Iraqis the errors of their ways. They would save the morally-corrupt Iraqis and get them away from their religion of Islam.

The missionaries have paid a price. In March 2004, four U.S. Baptist missionaries were killed in Iraq. The following month, seven South Korean Presbyterians were kidnapped, but eventually released. Two months later, a South Korean evangelical Christian was beheaded.

Let me highlight a few statements made from its "Bibles for the Middle East" section:

* People in this part of the world are desperate for such materials. 2004 was declared the Year of the Bible throughout the Arab world and interest is high. Thousands of people are seeking to receive a copy of the Bible.

* So, with a new year before us and so many opportunities on the horizon, would you consider a gift of $50 to get 25 Bibles into the hands of people in spiritually dark countries? Whatever you could do would be a tremendous blessing during a time of great spiritual hunger.

* People in these nations are hungry for God’s Word, our staff are willing to risk their lives to deliver it.

Another section called "Iraq Schoolbags" offers the following statements:

* Praise God with me. Because thanks to your prayers and gifts, the doors are open to share the love of Christ with the next generation of Iraqis — young boys and girls who are open to new ideas and who are the future teachers of their nation.

* Continuing a strategy first launched last year, their goal is to distribute 100,000 school bags to these little ones, each fitted with urgently needed paper, pencils, and other school materials, along with evangelistic children’s books. In this way, just weeks from now, thousands of future Iraqi leaders will have the opportunity to come to know Christ.

* I’m sure you praise God with me for this excitement and for the fact that, thanks to this distribution, a generation of Iraqis is finally hearing the Truth about Christ.

U.S. bombs and missiles destroyed the physical portion of Iraq. Now, zealous missionaries are trying to destroy the belief system of Iraq. Fortunately, for the Iraqi people, neither ploy has worked to destroy their will. Resistance works at many levels.

It is pure madness. This is regarded as a grave insult to Muslims. People will die cruel deaths behind this. sadly.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...ficial%26sa%3DG

Edited by Lt_Ripley

*snip* Why would God rely on a book? *snip*

Cuz movies weren't around yet?

No "Books on tape" available at the time?

I hear this often "Christians are pushing their religion on others." I wouldn't mistake the offense that some take at the missionaries to the actual intentions that they have. Offering someone a book is not pushing your religion on someone. Teaching them what it says in school has to be more than just undercover missionary work, otherwise, muslims would never allow it. There are two sides of every question. This is the other.

I hear this often "Christians are pushing their religion on others." I wouldn't mistake the offense that some take at the missionaries to the actual intentions that they have. Offering someone a book is not pushing your religion on someone. Teaching them what it says in school has to be more than just undercover missionary work, otherwise, muslims would never allow it. There are two sides of every question. This is the other.

Bluefinger,

The idea that missionaries simply hand out copies of the bible to people and then leave without proselytising is naive in the extreme. Of course there is an agenda in such acts (the handing out of bibles) and that is to 'spread the word' - i.e. 'push the religion'. It goes hand-in-hand with the setting up of missions, preaching and attempted conversion.

I wouldn't make the mistake of stating that ONLY Christians are pushing their religion, but one would have to be rather blind to not see this is part of the Christian 'mission'.

Might does not make right....

As we all know there are many who believe that the Qu'ran or the Bible or other sacred text is the word of God. I'm curious if anyone can come up with a plausible answer to the question: Why would God rely on a book? It would seem rather unreliable to me to convey a universal message through writing when the majority of people couldn't even read and when it's so easy for books to be lost and destroyed either through time or deliberate intent. Why would he only reveal himself to that part of the world? What about everybody else who didn't have any ways of having access to the priests, churches, or the Bible itself for so long? And are we forgetting that the Bible itself was denied from the people for hundreds of years and only viewable by church members, so whose to say things weren't altered? Sure he said "spread my word" but why wasn't it just available to to everyone the world over to begin with? He can create the world but can't give the same rules to everybody in there own tongue at the same time?

God didn't rely on a book. God relied on Men called prophets. The bible was written by people who were inspired by stories and what was going on in their time period as we do now with the newspapers.

Bluefinger,

The idea that missionaries simply hand out copies of the bible to people and then leave without proselytising is naive in the extreme. Of course there is an agenda in such acts (the handing out of bibles) and that is to 'spread the word' - i.e. 'push the religion'. It goes hand-in-hand with the setting up of missions, preaching and attempted conversion.

I wouldn't make the mistake of stating that ONLY Christians are pushing their religion, but one would have to be rather blind to not see this is part of the Christian 'mission'.

You can get a free copy of the Book of Mormon and request that the missionaries not visit you. As far as I know they won't unless they just happen to knock on your door at random.

I think you can also get a free bible from the same source. Not sure about that one.

God didn't rely on a book. God relied on Men called prophets. The bible was written by people who were inspired by stories and what was going on in their time period as we do now with the newspapers.

The bible is supposed to be the word of God who were inspired by the Christian God. So the bible should not be flawed in any way shape or form, but because man wrote it means that it is not perfect.

The bible is supposed to be the word of God who were inspired by the Christian God. So the bible should not be flawed in any way shape or form, but because man wrote it means that it is not perfect.

If it was actually written by God and with God being perfect..............then it could contain so much info...like explaining the solar system..informing you on what it is like ouside earth..then it would also explain at lot more on what has taken years for man to discover

If this book held that info and we all know how man was not that advanced to get hold of the technology to research and find answers..........but yet it was still written..and the book proved to be over 2000 years old....then it would hold water...seriously would make people think..........Well if this book is over 2000 years old and it was able to explain more about IE our solar system..and there was no way man could have found this..then there must be a God out there..for how else would they have known??

that would have a lot of people thinking..and a lot more believers....a hell of a lot

EDIT - also with the future advanced info...God wouldnt have to show himself...just in the same way he didnt have to when man descided to say it was all Gods doing creation the works....

Edited by Beckys_Mom

the NT is the vested interest in keeping the traditon alive and how its done.....

Its pauline christianity about the worship of jesus.... jesus is used as the conversion story.....the gospels are literary products by which this is done and eventually written down made up and changed and written long after his death. by unknown writters......... Acts is the only survivng ministry of chrisitanity the epistles the few that are not forgerys are the issues encountered with the various churches ST.Paul set up and how to deal with them....By its own content its used to convert to christianity....

Edited by Supra Sheri

Question: Why would God rely on a book?

Answer: Why not?

Because if he really cared about everyone equally then there's a LOT more efficient ways of spreading his teachings and proof of existence. A book just is not practical. Why would God rely on humans (which are in themselves flawed according to the Bible) to write about his teachings instead of his actual son? It just doesn't add up, nor do the facts fit together. Not trying to be rude, but this is reality.

Because the book is based on the writings of man & accoding to the Christian God man is full of sin so then the bible would be too.

Because if he really cared about everyone equally then there's a LOT more efficient ways of spreading his teachings and proof of existence. A book just is not practical. Why would God rely on humans (which are in themselves flawed according to the Bible) to write about his teachings instead of his actual son? It just doesn't add up, nor do the facts fit together. Not trying to be rude, but this is reality.

There is something about nature of man.

I can describe it you in an old sri lankan proverb

which basically means that

If you place an elephant and a rat in front of a human.

After a while man will

fixate on the rat and will entirely forget about the elephant right in front of him!

Why did i use this proverb

Look at story of Moses PBUH

For centuries the children of Israel toiled in slavery

Moses freed them!

Moses parted the Red Sea!

When his people were hungry God sent food from the heavens to feed his people!

And what did the people do?

Moses left them for a short period of time

and the people started worshiping a calf which they themselves had crafted of Gold!!!!!!!!!

The point is If you believe in God

You have a book that is proven to have been in continous existence since Gods word was declared

It should be more then enough for anyone who is willing to believe!!!!

"Verily, in the heavens and the earth are signs for those who believe." (Quran 45:3).

See below :)

Because obviously, the written word is the most open to interpretation ( or mis-interpretation), by the reader. And, with no author to question, one can never be quite sure that they are interpreting what the writer intended.

Add to that the multiple translations from one language to another and transcription errors, and you are 100% sure NOT to have the original meaning.

There is something about nature of man.

I can describe it you in an old sri lankan proverb

which basically means that

If you place an elephant and a rat in front of a human.

After a while man will

fixate on the rat and will entirely forget about the elephant right in front of him!

Why did i use this proverb

Look at story of Moses PBUH

For centuries the children of Israel toiled in slavery

Moses freed them!

Moses parted the Red Sea!

When his people were hungry God sent food from the heavens to feed his people!

And what did the people do?

Moses left them for a short period of time

and the people started worshiping a calf which they themselves had crafted of Gold!!!!!!!!!

The point is If you believe in God

You have a book that is proven to have been in continous existence since Gods word was declared

It should be more then enough for anyone who is willing to believe!!!!

"Verily, in the heavens and the earth are signs for those who believe." (Quran 45:3).

The Bible has NOT been in existence since Abrahamic religions have been created. If that was true, then the book would have existed even before Abraham was born, because God describes creating the Earth. If what you say is true, then the book should have existed since then. But it hasn't. The fact is, most people back then couldn't even read simple words, let alone a BIBLE. And what about before Abraham existed? There were people who lived before him, but they didn't know about any sort of God that is described in the Bible, Torah, Quran, etc. Why would God want to tell him, but leave the people who lived before him in the dark? That doesn't seem very loving or fair, does it? And what about all of the people around the world who had no contact with the Middle East thousands of years ago? What about them?

If it was actually written by God and with God being perfect..............then it could contain so much info...like explaining the solar system..informing you on what it is like ouside earth..then it would also explain at lot more on what has taken years for man to discover
Just a thought, but if the workings of our solar system were written down thousands of years ago, how many people would have understood it? Would anyone in that society, even the smartest of them, understood it? If they didn't understand it, would they have written it down or copied it for others to read? I'd say not! Why would you write down on parchment something that is incomprehensible and has no relation to you whatsoever.

As an aside, what kind of information would you expect to be put in the Bible about the solar system - how many planets there are, for example? Except we don't know how many planets there are in our solar system. When I was at school, it was well known that there were 9 planets. Before that, I think there were 8 (they hadn't discovered Pluto yet). Now I think there are literally dozens, because the definition of "planet" has been redefined to include other celestial bodies. I'm confused about the planets in our solar system, and I'm living in a society that has the information available. I don't even want to contemplate how a society 2000+ years ago would have seen it if they were given the information.

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

There is this huge flaw, or at least I see it as one, in that "relying on a book" is a way of testing the faith of people.

If God could come to individuals on mass himself, we'd all believe.

The distance of a book relies on trust, love and faith.

What I am missing, however, is why any individual has any reason to develop such faith. If God gave us free will, then that rules out the option that he somehow communicates with the individuals that do follow the holy books. So what reason does anyone have to develop an illogical trust in the writtings of men because they said they were from the mouth of God?

I guess this is where Jesus would step into the argument. But again, how and why would anyone form a trust in this man? His kindness? His "magic"? Yes, okay, back then it makes sense. But now? I can't work it out, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Edited by HAJiME

Just a thought, but if the workings of our solar system were written down thousands of years ago, how many people would have understood it? Would anyone in that society, even the smartest of them, understood it? If they didn't understand it, would they have written it down or copied it for others to read? I'd say not! Why would you write down on parchment something that is incomprehensible and has no relation to you whatsoever.

As an aside, what kind of information would you expect to be put in the Bible about the solar system - how many planets there are, for example? Except we don't know how many planets there are in our solar system. When I was at school, it was well known that there were 9 planets. Before that, I think there were 8 (they hadn't discovered Pluto yet). Now I think there are literally dozens, because the definition of "planet" has been redefined to include other celestial bodies. I'm confused about the planets in our solar system, and I'm living in a society that has the information available. I don't even want to contemplate how a society 2000+ years ago would have seen it if they were given the information.

~ Regards, PA

Hi PA -- Perhaps we should consider the purpose for the writings in the books of the Bible ... and also consider what these writings had no intention to convey.

First: the Bible is intended to show God as the Creator of all that exists. One of the proofs God gives of His creative powers consists of many prophecies concerning future events. Some of these prophecies were fulfilled in past history; some are still for the far, distant future.

Second: the Bible writings are concerned about the purpose God has for Mankind, in my opinion. The Bible could be considered as a textbook about human behaviour. What has been written there about past history was meant to be a lesson for future generations. These writings expound upon the consequences that follow Man's actions.

* Rom 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, so that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.

* 1Co 10:11 And all these things happened to them as examples; and it is written for our warning on whom the ends of the world have come.

What the Bible was not intended for:

It is not a textbook about any science, nor how to bake bread, etc. ;)