Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People protesting the Olympics/Torch Relay..

InHuman

*snip*

First off all, don't mix politics with the olympics unless YOU ARE GOING AFTER EVERYONE..

Protesters (most of whom HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY ARE THERE) showed that they have no idea how to make a point other then rioting (well thats an overstatment, most were peaceful and were civil, but a few *snip* took it out of hand, just yelling *snip*)...

Don't give me this, "we are raising awareness" crap... it's not going to work until everyone gets a better understanding, or unless the Chinese lose their control over America....

Disscus?

What do you guys think about the torch protests?

*snip*

Edited by Magikman
Removed crude and vulgar comments. InHuman, you've been here long enough to know the use of vulgar language is not acceptable. Please keep your remarks decent and inoffensive.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bella-Angelique

• The Silver Thong

• AROCES

• InHuman

*snip

Well you don't give us much choice do you :P.

I just think it is ridiculous how much money is put into security to make sure a flame doesn't extinguish.

Edited by Magikman
Removed edited remark

Perhaps you are too blind to see that the protesters are raising awareness and that world leaders all around are putting pressure on China for the games and so far China has been forced to lax it's control on the internet a good bit lately, have had to answer to the speeches and questions by the world leaders and their own people are being exposed to the influence. It's also giving the Chinese government a red face in both anger and embarrassment from losing control. The games were never meant to them to be about Tibet or human rights but about showing off a more modern China.

Perhaps you are expecting too much too soon because you think we have magic wands.

Perhaps you are too blind to see that the protesters are raising awareness

The blind leading the blind.

Perhaps you are too blind to see that the protesters are raising awareness and that world leaders all around are putting pressure on China for the games and so far China has been forced to lax it's control on the internet a good bit lately, have had to answer to the speeches and questions by the world leaders and their own people are being exposed to the influence. It's also giving the Chinese government a red face in both anger and embarrassment from losing control. The games were never meant to them to be about Tibet or human rights but about showing off a more modern China.

Perhaps you are expecting too much too soon because you think we have magic wands.

Does it take trying to put out the olympic torch to make THAT point.

Should we deny a developing country because we think that just because we got over OUR GENOCIDES, it means they have to suddenly step up to our standards.

Methinks this is why china didn't support kosovo, just because public (international) opinion is for something dosn't mean it's right, this dosn't apply directly to tibet (I support a peaceful resolution) but you can see how there's a connection.

Should we deny a developing country because we think that just because we got over OUR GENOCIDES, it means they have to suddenly step up to our standards.

Methinks this is why china didn't support kosovo, just because public (international) opinion is for something dosn't mean it's right, this dosn't apply directly to tibet (I support a peaceful resolution) but you can see how there's a connection.

Yes, because the putting out the torch would be a nice PR blow from the protesters to the Chinese. The Chinese are not worthy to have the flame.

Well it would be nice if they would step up to the Western standards. Comparing the West to the Chinese makes this place look like a heaven.

I see how it could be a connection... Both deserve to be free and there's really no reason why they shouldn't... They both already have the land marked out, the people and culture there. A peaceful resolution that has so far left 120 people in Tibet murdered, soldiers and police roaming the streets and an opressive government barking down at the country to submit it's entire culture to the Chinese approval.

i would first like to say that by your standards I'm one of those "dickweeds" and proud of it! a country that massacres its own people, uses slave labor and denies there citizens basic human rights deserves no respect! only contempt.

gotta make a stand for whats right some time, some where, some how. the only problem i have with the protest is that they didn't manage to put the dam thing out.

uuummm YA! i don't care what there situation is there is no excuse for genocide!

edit: i dont need to stoop that low

Edited by Ravinar

First of all, InHuman, swearing doesn't help you trying to make a point, nor is it allowed in the forums.

I think the whole protesting anything about this years Olympics completely stupid. Athletes are coming from all over the world to compete, and these same athletes seem to show more sportmanship than I've been seeing lately. The Olympics is a competition in all good sportsmanship, and the athletes show it best, most of the time. Politics and protesting because of politics should be kept out of it. It's pointless and has nothing to do with Olympic spirit, nor is it fair on the countless athletes who aspire and work hard to get there.

If one truly think that the Olypmics should not be held in China, then don't go, or don't watch it, or protest to their own Government. Don't interfere with the innocent athletes and other supporters who have nothing to do with other peoples greivances.

Agreed, the Olympics is supposed to be a globally adopted tradition to foster brotherhood and interaction from country to country, in any era, regardless of other divisions - people protesting the Olympics being held somewhere or wanting the flame doused has long ago missed the entire point and probably needs to study history a little more.

Edited by jpatt

we now live in a world of professional protestors who love nothing more than a bloody good protest, for some its their full time employment to organise such gatherings, to be honest, i think its stupid going after the "olympic flame" after all has nothing to do with China,

in my opinion the people protesting, the majority of them are fanatical liberal hippy types, who wont change their minds and dont change the subject, thats why, when they cant get their own way the protest takes a turn for the worst,

i'd like to see a poll done, where the protestors are asked to point out Tibet on the world map,.....be interesting to see what the results would be,

Keep Politics out of the Sporting Arena, lets just keep the olympics just that, a world arena for all the WORLDS top athelets to compete, anyway the event shouldnt be held outside of Greece. in the first place

Edited by stevewinn

Keep Politics out of the Sporting Arena, lets just keep the olympics just that, a world arena for all the WORLDS top athelets to compete, anyway the event shouldnt be held outside of Greece. in the first place

The mere act of holding the games in China IS a political statement; we are stating that the Chinese government is 'normal' and acceptable.

Need a magic wand ?

linked-image

Trident D5 should do the trick ?

Meow Purr.

Agreed, the Olympics is supposed to be a globally adopted tradition to foster brotherhood and interaction from country to country,

Some people prefer the Olympic symbolism representing brotherhood and interaction between nations over actual brotherhood and interaction between nations. Yes the Olympics are important but so are the lives of Tibetans aren't they?

Ignore those noisy selfish people people tortured and oppressed over there. And their supporters! I'm far too busy thinking of peace and goodwill because of the Olympics!

If the Olympics is thinking about peace and goodwill while ignoring things that are preventing genuine peace and good will in this world they become a bit of a farce that enable people to feel warm and fuzzy and stick their head in the sand.

And it's only the torch relay. The athletes will still have their shot at getting medals in China.

The Tibetan people have never had an opportunity to be heard like this and will probably never have another one. They have undeniably got their issue in the world spotlight. Sure it might be a long shot that it'll make any long term difference. But I'd take a long shot if it was the only way I thought I could help my nation.

Edited by Ins0mniac

the olymips are about peace freedom and non segreation but to come together in the world no the protesters had no right to do what they did but the chinese are a comunistic contry who dont reaspect other veiws and yes this is proven not saying they r all like that but who cares we had the olympics when hitler was around in germany for crist sake and he got p***ed a german was beaten by a african american....it doesnt matter personally i dont think olympics should be in china but its an opinion

we now live in a world of professional protestors who love nothing more than a bloody good protest, for some its their full time employment to organise such gatherings, to be honest, i think its stupid going after the "olympic flame" after all has nothing to do with China,

in my opinion the people protesting, the majority of them are fanatical liberal hippy types, who wont change their minds and dont change the subject, thats why, when they cant get their own way the protest takes a turn for the worst,

i'd like to see a poll done, where the protestors are asked to point out Tibet on the world map,.....be interesting to see what the results would be,

Ditto.

Also I'd be intrigued to know if these characters are gonna do the same when the London olypics comes around, I mean 100,000 dead civilians in Iraq have got to be worth kicking up a bit of fuss about.

Somebody on the religious forum suggested that everybody should boycott the Chinese games, so I enquired as to wether they thought that if the games were being staged in the U.S.A. they would agree that the games should be boycotted because of Iraq (little matter of invading & occupying a country on a false premise), to which the reply was...'Ah well that's different'.. Thought it might be !!!

P.S. I agree wholeheartedly on the idea of Greece holding it always.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Some people prefer the Olympic symbolism representing brotherhood and interaction between nations over actual brotherhood and interaction between nations. Yes the Olympics are important but so are the lives of Tibetans aren't they?

Ignore those noisy selfish people people tortured and oppressed over there. And their supporters! I'm far too busy thinking of peace and goodwill because of the Olympics!

If the Olympics is thinking about peace and goodwill while ignoring things that are preventing genuine peace and good will in this world they become a bit of a farce that enable people to feel warm and fuzzy and stick their head in the sand.

And it's only the torch relay. The athletes will still have their shot at getting medals in China.

The Tibetan people have never had an opportunity to be heard like this and will probably never have another one. They have undeniably got their issue in the world spotlight. Sure it might be a long shot that it'll make any long term difference. But I'd take a long shot if it was the only way I thought I could help my nation.

Most excellent post :tu:

Agreed

Maybe the Iraqis who are fighting for freedom as well needs to run around a torch instead to get support and be heard by the Left?

Maybe the Iraqis who are fighting for freedom as well needs to run around a torch instead to get support and be heard by the Left?

Stay in topic man, the last think we need is another "Bush lied" "Congress lied" "Republicans lied" "Democrats lied" thread out of nowhere.

I think most of us are aware of China's wrongdoings, now lets move on and let the Olympics be held.

Stay in topic man, the last think we need is another "Bush lied" "Congress lied" "Republicans lied" "Democrats lied" thread out of nowhere.

I think most of us are aware of China's wrongdoings, now lets move on and let the Olympics be held.

Topic is about a Torch and what it can do, so I am on topic man. :tu:

Edited by AROCES

Topic is about a Torch and what it can do, so I am on topic man. :tu:

So you see in the near future Iraq hosting the olympics ? :wacko:

So you see in the near future Iraq hosting the olympics ? :wacko:

Why not? Who ever thought the Berlin wall will fall, see what I mean?

Why not? Who ever thought the Berlin wall will fall, see what I mean?

Okey dokey

I can't wait till Vancouver hosts the Olympics, then all the seal lovers can jump up and down.

Oh If Iraq were to host the olympic's would the protests be against the U.S. for it's illegal invasion and occupation?

edit: thought I would beat you to it.......... WHAT ILLEGAL OCCUPATION? :rolleyes:

Edited by The Silver Thong

Okey dokey

I can't wait till Vancouver hosts the Olympics, then all the seal lovers can jump up and down.

Oh If Iraq were to host the olympic's would the protests be against the U.S. for it's illegal invasion and occupation?

edit: thought I would beat you to it.......... WHAT ILLEGAL OCCUPATION? :rolleyes:

Well, if there is an illegal invasion, don't you think the Iraqis had to be the first to protest, complain and say it, not you?

Well, if there is an illegal invasion, don't you think the Iraqis had to be the first to protest, complain and say it, not you?

They have, but some just aren't willing to listen. Ok off topic back to the torch.

this should be a celebration of competetion in good will and about the athletes, most of whom obey the rules and work very hard to represent their country. :hmm:

I was just thinking, are you guys sure Bush didn't have something to do with this SF protest thing? I mean it's so stupid as to defy logic. It would be just like our government to decide this..... not thinking about the politics in the world >>>>>

Someone ??? decided that the torch should go thru SF because it has the largest Chinese population in America.

What did they think was going to happen? These people LEFT China for a better life (for the most part). They were suddenly going to get religion and scream how wonderful the Communist Chinese Olympics will be? Other people really do care about Tibet. A blind man (even a registered idiot) could have figured this out.

Either that or they did know and the media is incredibly stupid. I can't figure out which... or both?