Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ringing in Ears

hw74

I have had an on and off ringing in my ears for about 2 years now. I "feel" it has nothing to do with a medical condition, although I have never had that checked out. I have no hearing loss, I have not been on and am not currently on medications that would cause it, I have no dizziness or high blood pressure problems and never have. Something is happening when I get the ringing and I can't figure it out. There is no rhyme or reason, it is at night, during the day - any time day or night but not constantly and not all the time, but I do get some type of ringing/static noise almost daily and when I do get it, it comes with a feeling - like someone is trying to communicate with me but I don't understand how to do it yet. Does anyone else feel that or am I nuts! LOL!!

I have had an on and off ringing in my ears for about 2 years now. I "feel" it has nothing to do with a medical condition, although I have never had that checked out. I have no hearing loss, I have not been on and am not currently on medications that would cause it, I have no dizziness or high blood pressure problems and never have. Something is happening when I get the ringing and I can't figure it out. There is no rhyme or reason, it is at night, during the day - any time day or night but not constantly and not all the time, but I do get some type of ringing/static noise almost daily and when I do get it, it comes with a feeling - like someone is trying to communicate with me but I don't understand how to do it yet. Does anyone else feel that or am I nuts! LOL!!

I wouldn't say your nuts . but i would advise that you get them checked out by a doctor .

It may very well turn out to be nothing medical but at least you will have explored that possibility first . and IMO its more likely that than someone trying to communicate with you to be honest . :)

Hey, SS79.

The poster may wish to Google tinnitus.

It is worth mentioning to a healthcare professional. As with any percept, your brain will try to "make sense" of it.

I actually work in a profession where I have dealt with injured people (car accidents, etc.) who have tinnitus problems so I am familiar with it and did do a google search on it too. I have been juggling that idea around for the past two years and it just doesn't seem to fit what is going on with me. Of course I may be wrong - it has happened before! ;) I know it may sound silly, but I have been learning to listen to my "gut" feelings or intuition recently in my life, and it has served me well to do so. This is another time where my "gut" is telling me something else is going on here not related to my health.

Hey, SS79.

It is worth mentioning to a healthcare professional. As with any percept, your brain will try to "make sense" of it.

I agree, I have a sister with that condition and you pretty much explained, what she is going through to a direct point.

Hey, SS79.

ahh I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of it . I would have looked it up if my computer wasn't on a go slow today . So Thanks and yes thats most likely what it is .

Perhaps it has something to do with air pressure and blood pressure. Sort of like getting light headed when your rise too fast or something? Then again maybe you should try wearing an aluminum foul hat hehe...

Probably you should get that checked out by a doctor first. Because it may well be like that. I have some ringing too. I put that down to being normal for people.

intermitent tinitus, i have the same thing ( over ten years now ) i put it down to some of the jobs i have had in the past where concusive damage has been present ( loud banging )

my hearing is fine ( surprizing for playing loud music for over 20 years ) full range and decent sensativity ( but then again my ears are trained )

when the ringing starts up at random for me, i just plug my nose and pop my ears, once pressure is equlized it goes away.

i have ringing in my ears aswell my dr diagnosed it as tinittus ive had it all my life i mostly hear it wen its quiet as theres no noise to cancel it out although a few times a week it will just randomly go really loud for about 3 secs then go quiet again but thats about it :yes:

You probably have highly sensitive ears. Maybe, dunno.

I get ringing in the ears randomly too. I don't know why or for what reason.

I have highly sensitive hearing. I can hear lightbulbs, power adapters, cell phone signals from cell phones when I'm really close to them. Or maybe I'm going insane. Thats a possibility too. :D

Just so you know, what eternal_me said helps for me too. When it stops, I just pop my ears by plugging my nose and mouth and blowing air gently or by yawning.

I have ringing in my ears quite freqently, tinnitus probably, but I've never been compelled to check it out. Had it all my life, but haven't experienced any problems so far. If I'm in a classroom, and kids are talking, out of nowhere everything will quiet (inside my head) and then the ringing will start up louder than the sounds outside, or I'll hear a dull ringing undertone--which happens most of the time. It'd be a good idea to get things like that checked out, though, I agree that if it's causing problems (or is otherwise annoying), to have a doctor take a look at it.

First, get yourself checked by a doctor...If no problem is found, then it could be Telepathy maybe...

Well i guess it could be a side effect of psychic signals being perceived by your brain, but the more likely option is that it's medical. I know lots of people who have ringing ears but are undiagnosed for anything.

High toxins in the bloodstream will cause ringing in the ears..

I actually work in a profession where I have dealt with injured people (car accidents, etc.) who have tinnitus problems so I am familiar with it and did do a google search on it too. I have been juggling that idea around for the past two years and it just doesn't seem to fit what is going on with me. Of course I may be wrong - it has happened before! ;) I know it may sound silly, but I have been learning to listen to my "gut" feelings or intuition recently in my life, and it has served me well to do so. This is another time where my "gut" is telling me something else is going on here not related to my health.

I would say that your gut feeling is correct. The sounds you hear, as do I, may well be your own body's vibrational pitch. It is not a physical problem.

As you increase your intuition or sixth sense, you will start to tap into unseen energies and then awareness will come to you from the non-physical realms.

So ask yourself, what is going on with you that has allowed this to occur? Then listen for an answer.

John

I would say that your gut feeling is correct. The sounds you hear, as do I, may well be your own body's vibrational pitch. It is not a physical problem.

As you increase your intuition or sixth sense, you will start to tap into unseen energies and then awareness will come to you from the non-physical realms.

So ask yourself, what is going on with you that has allowed this to occur? Then listen for an answer.

John

Your own bodies vibrational pitch? Meaning.... WaveLength? Yes, each person has their own wavelength because each person has a specific mass/density :D. That means yes, we are vibrating in a fixed pattern :D

ICanHazWin?

kthnxbai

What can you hear? Is it like crickets sounding at night? A hum? A high pitch tone? or does it appear only when your watching a Tv? cooking in microwave? or sleeping? Does the sound appear within you or a few feet away from you?

All I can say right now is that your brain is functioning perfectly and giving you a new sense possibly like a sonar.

I have this high pitched ring in my ear some times, just likie suddenly goes off and goes away after a while. Other than that, my girlfriend's dad says he has ringing in his ears and it's a form is slight deafness. He reckons it's from the mortar fire back in his army days.

Edited by Blacksabbath

Your story reminds me of something that happened to myself, which I never found any answer to.

What happened was that at night, I repeatedly heard what I can only describe as "fax machine" sounds, you know the beeps and sounds that you get if you call a fax number.

This happened when I was in bed at night, and the sound seemed to come from below, as from my pillow.

Heck, I even pulled the pillow apart at one occasion to see if there were anything inside it, which there wasn't.

This happened frequently for a year or two before it suddenly ended as abruptly as it had started.

Have no idea what it was.

• Like 1

Your story reminds me of something that happened to myself, which I never found any answer to.

What happened was that at night, I repeatedly heard what I can only describe as "fax machine" sounds, you know the beeps and sounds that you get if you call a fax number.

This happened when I was in bed at night, and the sound seemed to come from below, as from my pillow.

Heck, I even pulled the pillow apart at one occasion to see if there were anything inside it, which there wasn't.

This happened frequently for a year or two before it suddenly ended as abruptly as it had started.

Have no idea what it was.

That exact thing used to happen to me! I'd hear the oddest sounds, very much like a fax machine, just before I went to bed--as I was laying down. It didn't feel like the sounds were coming from my pillow, though. It sounded like it was coming from everywhere, like the air or something. It doesn't happen any more, but I was always so confused when I'd hear it. Still don't know what happened; it was years ago.

I remember once, when I started to hear a strange high-pitched ring, my cousins were in the same room and I asked them if they could hear it too--because it sounded like it was coming from everywhere, but nowhere at the same time. One of them replied that it sounded like it was coming from me.

Nowadays I don't hear much of anything, except for the normal ring in your ears if you're in a quiet room, or sometimes if I'm in a moderately loud room, everything will get quiet and I'll hear the ringing sound above everyone's voices.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 4/10/2008 at 10:27 AM, hw74 said:

Check out my post, it is a theory that will answer what you're talking about.  http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/296291-vestibular-science-and-the-subconscious/ 

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That member hasn't posted anything since 2008. 

Plus - ringing in the ears = tinnitus. Don't pretend it's something it isn't.

• Like 3

Well I've had ringing in my right ear for many years, I can't say when it first started. However I've been to the doctor multiple times and my hearing is perfect and I don't have any ear problems whatsoever. 

The ringing is usually very high pitched but it will come in different tones. Because this question has been burning in my mind for a while, I decided to just take note as to when, where, and under what circumstances the ringing occurs.

Although there have been incidents where the ringing happens to me while in public, the majority of the time the ringing occurs while meditating or lying in bed in silence. It always occurs following a thought, usually a question or contemplation in my head. It seems to be a response to something, but I can't really explain that. I do, however, feel the presence of someone when it happens.

But it could very well be pressure caused by the thinking mind. It's not an imagined sound. The ringing is very real, and has always been only in my right ear, never my left. 

I always had the feeling though, that the ringing is a form of communication, and is a way to try and bring our attention to something. 

The "ear whistling" post was interesting, because I have noticed periodically that my dog responds to the ringing as if she can hear it. 

And like other people said, maybe it's the soul's vibration. 

I only recently saw this post, although it's old, but I wanted to give my experience because I've had this question for a long time and do believe it's something other than tinnitus or ear disease. In some cases, that may be all it is. 

Maybe at some point we can find a definitive answer, but I think going with your gut is always the "answer". It's possible we already know, but the conscious mind would never be able to.