Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sho_Sho

I'd say karma is real in the sense that if you do bad things you'll have bad things coming back at you, it's a pretty basic and easy to understand concept, just as if you do good things good things come back.

It relates to the Law of Attraction as well as already mentioned Cause and Effect.

Of course what is good and what is bad can be discussed and interpreted in different ways, but the universal spiritual laws are in effect just as the normal physical laws, and through understanding oneself and how these laws works one can change ones life for the better.

To put it short there are two main principles that is good to follow: Do to other's what you want other's to do to yourself, and have a positive mindset meaning focus on good things and stuff you like instead of the negative things and things you don't like.

Both physical actions as well as mental actions (thoughts) are "causes" to what manifests in your life (the "effects").

It's pretty easy to see that this is true as you just have to try live in accordance with those principles to see it.

Regarding karma passing over from possible past lives I'm not really sure about though, and even if it would I''m sure it could be turned good by living in accordance with the mentioned principles.

Except it's not real. There are lots and lots and lots of bad people doing bad things who live incredibly rich lives. In fact, our society encourages doing whatever you have to in order to make as much money as possible, and the people at the top of our society have had to do their share of cheating, lying, stealing, and god knows what else, to get there. Sure, these people have problems. You might say that these bad things are "coming back to them" in the form of an STD, or a tax audit. But those "bad things" are nothing compared to the horrors suffered by millions of good people.

Good people die horrible deaths every day. There are good people in the millions all around the world stewing in their own fecal matter, desperately fighting off parasites and watching their loved ones succumbing to diseases. There are good people waking up to find their family smeared on the ground across the room, and several machine gun barrels aimed inches away from their groggy, sleep-crusted eyes.

If there IS a kind of karma, it affects the Samsaric rebirth like it was originally stated to in its original context.

As far as the Law of Attraction goes, that's simple psychology, despite what Oprah's Magical Book Club tells us. Thinking positively affects subconscious functions and boosts self esteem, thus enabling a person to act with greater confidence and focus more on positive outcomes rather than wallow in negative repercussions.

"Do to other's what you want others to do to yourself" is a functional societal rule. It keeps order, it promotes empathy, and it leaves open the implied second half of the statement, i.e. "Or else nobody will like you or aid you in your times of need and you will not mesh very well with your society, but feel free to try and go it alone, jerk."

"Of course what is good and what is bad can be discussed and interpreted in different ways, but the universal spiritual laws are in effect just as the normal physical laws, and through understanding oneself and how these laws works one can change ones life for the better."

Okay, first of all, there is no indication whatsoever that we operate under some mystical "universal spiritual laws." It's a nice thought, and there are a number of various religions who preach various sets of universal spiritual laws, but I can't buy it. And I have a hard time taking people seriously when they use words like "universal," especially if that person hasn't even left our own planet's atmosphere.

Personally, I think this karma thing is a bunch of fluffy new age bull.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darkbreed

• Lightning88

• bleedingelite

• Pluto-x

Well, now THAT's not good Karma to think that way... LOL

I totally beleive in Karma :D That's why my favorite TV show is My Name is Earl.

linked-image

Hmm, Im not a fan of that show. Quite boring, and they only have a couple funny parts.

Anyway, karma in a sense is real. If you do something good, something good will head your way. If you do something bad, something bad will happen. But this is an exageration. Good and bad things happen ALL THE TIME. Its very easy to link two things together. For example, I helped someone pick up some books that they dropped; a few days later someone helped me carry something that I couldnt carry alone. I can link those 2 things together because theyre similar. But is that to say it was karma? Or is it because good things and bad things will always happen to people? I think its a little bit of both.

Rich does not equal happy or good destiny ahead.

And the suffering of those good people you talk about is, in my opinion, mostly due to them not living by the laws and principles I mentioned. It is of course also possible that the mentioned past-life karma is reason to their current misfortune as well.

Personally I've lived on both sides of "good" and "bad", "poor" and "rich" etc, and also tested these principles and I am now living as much as I can in accordance with them and it gives me all the greatness I have, to me there is no doubt about the mind manifesting reality for us as I live my life the way I do which proves it for me on a daily basis.

Oh and regarding your comment about leaving the earths atmosphere I've done that as well =)

Anyway it's up to you to believe it or not, or try it out or not to figure out if it's possibly real. Works for me and works for others at least so I'm happy I came across that understanding.

Except it's not real. There are lots and lots and lots of bad people doing bad things who live incredibly rich lives. In fact, our society encourages doing whatever you have to in order to make as much money as possible, and the people at the top of our society have had to do their share of cheating, lying, stealing, and god knows what else, to get there. Sure, these people have problems. You might say that these bad things are "coming back to them" in the form of an STD, or a tax audit. But those "bad things" are nothing compared to the horrors suffered by millions of good people.

Good people die horrible deaths every day. There are good people in the millions all around the world stewing in their own fecal matter, desperately fighting off parasites and watching their loved ones succumbing to diseases. There are good people waking up to find their family smeared on the ground across the room, and several machine gun barrels aimed inches away from their groggy, sleep-crusted eyes.

If there IS a kind of karma, it affects the Samsaric rebirth like it was originally stated to in its original context.

As far as the Law of Attraction goes, that's simple psychology, despite what Oprah's Magical Book Club tells us. Thinking positively affects subconscious functions and boosts self esteem, thus enabling a person to act with greater confidence and focus more on positive outcomes rather than wallow in negative repercussions.

"Do to other's what you want others to do to yourself" is a functional societal rule. It keeps order, it promotes empathy, and it leaves open the implied second half of the statement, i.e. "Or else nobody will like you or aid you in your times of need and you will not mesh very well with your society, but feel free to try and go it alone, jerk."

"Of course what is good and what is bad can be discussed and interpreted in different ways, but the universal spiritual laws are in effect just as the normal physical laws, and through understanding oneself and how these laws works one can change ones life for the better."

Okay, first of all, there is no indication whatsoever that we operate under some mystical "universal spiritual laws." It's a nice thought, and there are a number of various religions who preach various sets of universal spiritual laws, but I can't buy it. And I have a hard time taking people seriously when they use words like "universal," especially if that person hasn't even left our own planet's atmosphere.

And the suffering of those good people you talk about is, in my opinion, mostly due to them not living by the laws and principles I mentioned. It is of course also possible that the mentioned past-life karma is reason to their current misfortune as well.

Personally I've lived on both sides of "good" and "bad", "poor" and "rich" etc, and also tested these principles and I am now living as much as I can in accordance with them and it gives me all the greatness I have, to me there is no doubt about the mind manifesting reality for us as I live my life the way I do which proves it for me on a daily basis.

Oh and regarding your comment about leaving the earths atmosphere I've done that as well =)

Anyway it's up to you to believe it or not, or try it out or not to figure out if it's possibly real. Works for me and works for others at least so I'm happy I came across that understanding.

Rich might not equal happy, but it's certainly likelier to mean happiness than life-threatening poverty.

And the suffering of those good people you talk about is, in my opinion, mostly due to them not living by the laws and principles I mentioned.

You do realize that you're talking about millions, probably billions, of people, right? It's possible that almost all of the people living in horrible war-torn poverty have earned their bad karma in past lives, but it's also asinine to think so. Especially when a lot of their suffering is caused by humanity in the first place. And if you're going to tell me that a poor kid in kenya with an infected open wound that's speedily rotting his leg is happier than a ruthless multi millionaire business man, I'm not going to be able to take you seriously.

And as far as your leaving the atmosphere comment goes, I'm not going to consider astral projection as a valid experience there, because it's quite possibly a hallucination. But if you're saying that you were part of a space program and that you've been suited up and strapped into a rocket and launched into orbit, then that's pretty cool.

And I HAVE tried it out. I've thought about it a lot. And my conclusion is presented in my arguments, which are logical and valid.

great summation of the power of positive thinking!!!

As for Karma, the way it's been re-interpreted in the Western New Age movement is "fluffy bull", but in Hinduism the concept of Karma goes back 3 or 4 thousand years, see the wiki on it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

If one wants good things in life, I suggest one book and one book only: "Think and Grow Rich", by Napoleon Hill, all the current positive thinking books are just derivations of this book.

• 2 weeks later...
I was speaking with a friend the other day that has been going through some really hard times these days. Every time she turns around something bad is happening to her. Its all things that are completely out of her control that are happening.

We got to talking about Karma, and she said maybe its coming back to get her for something she did?

That got me wondering if it’s real? If good and bad can really come back to you through Karma. I use to believe in Karma but have lost faith in it myself. I have seen too many bad people thrive in life and people, who are good, never seem to get a hand up from Karma.

Does anyone have any examples about Karma, and how it helped or hurt you

I don't know about karma... life is a circle but you just don't know how big the circle is... doing good is always the correct thing to do but you can't expect a return on doing good cuz then you'd being doing good things for a selfish reason and that isn't good...

do good cuz it is the correct thing to do and be happy with that... Good things will happen in return in most cases but you never know when or what good will come...

Well, now THAT's not good Karma to think that way... LOL

I totally beleive in Karma :D That's why my favorite TV show is My Name is Earl.

linked-image

ME TOO!!! thats my favorite show, Earls my hero :)

i beleieve in karma because i well.... just do :huh:

one time i was playing manopoly with my fried and we were talking about it and , he was being kinda mean and i was nice, and i got freeparking all the time, and won the game, and he kept landing on my hotels, and going to jail :D

omg,that was a little extreme dont you think? messing with a cat does not ok violence to children.

if a grown man killed a cat then got punched then thats karma.a girl playing with her cat and getting beaten is a ridicules comparison,shame on you.

if you want to talk equality than consider this. all life is equal. so tormenting a cat does permit violence to children. and that is one of the many reasons i don't believe in karma

ok first i have to say that money does not equal happiness, but in wester civilization NO ONE can be happy without it.

and secondly, when you say those people are suffering because of there own actions you are totally ignoring that most of those people where born into that life, and had no choice to begin with :cry: . and on a separate note if you don't remember your past life and you don't have the same consciousness of that past life, than why would you deserve to be punished for it :huh: .

Ignorance is the problem, choice or not, and besides, if they carry over their bad karma from a previous life, what does "choice" have to do with anything in their present situation? They had their choices done in their previous life and thus suffers now - that is one possibility.

One of the things to learn is to remember who you are, and what you were, and what reality is. That's my answer to the last question of yours about not remembering the past lives. Besides, there might be other processes we're unaware of that keeps us from remembering those past lives, and from knowing our true beings - perhaps on purpose, perhaps by mistake, perhaps by chance. I can't really tell that myself, would have to guess, but there are some indications towards one of those possibilities.

-EA