Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fire

Never Say Die

This actually happened a couple of months ago, but I'm not positive as to what happened, so I thought I'd ask everyone here.

It happened just before I went to bed, I heard my grandparents saying something about a 'fire', so I went and looked out a window. On the bank opposite our house, someone had lit a fire (there was another one further down the road, but I couldn't see it). Anyway, the fire was quite big, and it was near some trees (basically it goes loads of trees, then an area of grass, then loads of tree's again all the way down the road)

Well, the fire was just reaching the bottom of the leaves of the tree's, I didn't really want them to go on fire, since it'd probably spread like crazy. I'd been practising pyrokinetics for about a week (and I got absolutley nowhere), but I thought I might as well try to suppress the fire. So I just stared at it, keeping my mind calm and imagined it becoming smaller. It seemed to go smaller, so it wasn't reaching the leaves anymore. I stayed like that for about 5 minutes or so until the fire brigade arrived, then I just stopped concentrating, the fire rose again, then the firemen put it out. Afterwards I was really tired and slightly dizzy.

I'm not saying I managed to control or affect the fire in anyway, it just seemed like I did. So, anyone got an explanation?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Never Say Die

• Im-postle-able

• Papaver

• eight bits

Fires flare up and die down of their own accord all the time. It's not an exact science. It depends on what is burning, wind and other weather conditions, humidity.

You saw something completely normal and you made your own connection to the events but purely in your own imagination.

yes, I realize that, I just thought it was a bit coincidental that the fire died down slightly when I started concentrating on it, and flared up when I stopped.

If there were no coincidences in life then that would be weird.

But what fun is it discounting every experience that could possibily be a psychic experience?

I will have to agree with that.

Heartagram3200 Posted Today, 05:18 PM

But what fun is it discounting every experience that could possibily be a psychic experience?

I don't know Heart. I suppose it's alright to have a good imagination now and then. But, when it comes

to serious situations as the above mentioned, one cannot rule out the most likely reasons as to what

happened before some supernatural reason.

It is cool to see super hero's come around and put out fires with supernatural abilities though.

But, thats in comic books and movies.

Regards,

Tom

It isn't fun. It's quite boring. I'd rather these powers were real but it has to be the real deal to mean anything and that requires substantial evidence. Nothing so far cuts the mustard.

That's why I was dissapointed with your tests. I thought I'd found somebody that might turn out to be real. That's why I took such an interest in your claims. Anyway, that's off topic...

If life was exactly like what everyone thought it was, that would be pretty boring...

So anyway, neversaydie, this was two months ago you say. This was the first fire that seemed like you controlled it, if I understand your report.

Have you tried anything fiery since then?

Maybe you can light a candle and try again.

Yes, that would be an idea.

But my question was whether the OP had already done so. If yes, then what happened, and if not, then why not, does he think?

Actually, I haven't tried anything since, I'll try doing something like that soon.

If life was exactly like what everyone thought it was, that would be pretty boring...

No life is an incredibly amazing world of natrual laws and phenomenon... the biology behind living creatures is literaly awe inspiringly beautiful. The physics behind the motion of the cosmos is awesome in it's preciceness and staggering scales. Even the simplest of inanimate objects has experienced incredible natural laws to become what it is today... do you know what all matter other than Hydrogen was created within stars and scattered across the universe after the stars ended thier life with a supernova of mind blowing energies?

I guess not since you think that doors closeing is spirits instead of just the wind....

The world in an amazing place WITHOUT childish fantasies of the supernatural... your laziness to expand your education isn't a reason to constantly entertain thoughts of the paranormal....

Edited by Im-postle-able

I doubt there is a correlation between education and belief in the paranormal or the spiritual. Many educated people find belief in these matters. Maybe not as much as psi phenomena but the paranormal and the spiritual go beyond that.

I doubt there is a correlation between education and belief in the paranormal or the spiritual. Many educated people find belief in these matters. Maybe not as much as psi phenomena but the paranormal and the spiritual go beyond that.

The studies tell otherwise... the more educated a person is the less they are likely to beleive in a faith based / lack of evidence phenomenon..

Thats not the point i was making... Heart seems to be incredibly ignorant of the incredible and overwhelming complexity / beauty of the natural world... if he took some time to EDUCATE (my point) himself in the world of rational enquiry and FACTS of the world (supportable with verifyable and reproducable evidence) then he would have a very different view of the netural world.

Life without the paranormal is NOT boring... it's AMAZINGLY beautiful and exciting... you just have to educate yourself instead of being satisfied with unsupported fantasies..

Edited by Im-postle-able

One such survey of the beliefs of the general United States population regarding paranormal topics was conducted by the Gallup Organization in 2005. The survey found that 73 percent of those polled believed in at least one of the ten paranormal items presented in the survey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal#Belief_polls

Edited by Clovis

The studies tell otherwise... the more educated a person is the less they are likely to beleive in a faith based / lack of evidence phenomenon..

I don't think that's true, I know a lot of clever people, or well educated people that have a strong belief in the supernatural, some of the teachers in my school for example, I know that one of them claims to be a witch.

I agree that the world around us can be amazing, but I find that learning about the supernatural a lot more interesting than anything else, it's not that I don't think the world is boring, or that there aren't spectacular things, it's just that, in my opinion, the paranormal has less boundaries, and a lot of things are open to our own interpretations or beliefs.

Also, if your more willing to at least consider the paranormal, wouldn't that make you more open minded? As in, thinking outside the box? Not to mention, believing in the paranormal is not childish, by saying 'paranormal' you are covering a very wide range of beliefs and thoughts. There is nothing wrong or childish in believing in it.

I don't think that's true, I know a lot of clever people, or well educated people that have a strong belief in the supernatural, some of the teachers in my school for example, I know that one of them claims to be a witch.

I agree that the world around us can be amazing, but I find that learning about the supernatural a lot more interesting than anything else, it's not that I don't think the world is boring, or that there aren't spectacular things, it's just that, in my opinion, the paranormal has less boundaries, and a lot of things are open to our own interpretations or beliefs.

Also, if your more willing to at least consider the paranormal, wouldn't that make you more open minded? As in, thinking outside the box? Not to mention, believing in the paranormal is not childish, by saying 'paranormal' you are covering a very wide range of beliefs and thoughts. There is nothing wrong or childish in believing in it.

Wrong? Depends. Irrational? Absolutely. Childish? Kind of.

heh just because someone works in a school it doesn't mean they are well educated.. they are just educated at teaching a certain curriculum..

You say that the supernatural is more interesting that anything else?

So you're saying that an whimsical explanation for a phenomenon which is unprovable, unreproducable, and has really weak evidence which seems to fall apart under even the most basic scruitiny is more interesting than rational and HEAVILY supported explanations with real evidence which is reproducable and can withstand scrutiny again & again...

One is fiction... one is real...

Again, if anyone was able to support your "more interesting" supernatural explanations then they would have discovered a new set of physical laws of the universe.. they would get world fame blah blah.... but predictably no-one can support thier claims because firstly they are fiction.. and secondly they all deep down know what they are trying to "sell" as an explanation is really just whymsical fantasy...

Belief in the paranormal without evidence IS childish by definition. Children believe what theya re told because they don't know how to think through a problem rationaly. A fully developed set of critical thinking skills completely destroys and supernatural or paranormal explanations with a few simple queries... is there evidence? no.. is the explanation robust? no... can anyone in the world show any evidence which can stand to simple scruiteny? no... well then chances are it's not true..

Being open minded is great... being open minded to include theories which have NO evidence is counterproductive.

This actually happened a couple of months ago, but I'm not positive as to what happened, so I thought I'd ask everyone here.

It happened just before I went to bed, I heard my grandparents saying something about a 'fire', so I went and looked out a window. On the bank opposite our house, someone had lit a fire (there was another one further down the road, but I couldn't see it). Anyway, the fire was quite big, and it was near some trees (basically it goes loads of trees, then an area of grass, then loads of tree's again all the way down the road)

Well, the fire was just reaching the bottom of the leaves of the tree's, I didn't really want them to go on fire, since it'd probably spread like crazy. I'd been practising pyrokinetics for about a week (and I got absolutley nowhere), but I thought I might as well try to suppress the fire. So I just stared at it, keeping my mind calm and imagined it becoming smaller. It seemed to go smaller, so it wasn't reaching the leaves anymore. I stayed like that for about 5 minutes or so until the fire brigade arrived, then I just stopped concentrating, the fire rose again, then the firemen put it out. Afterwards I was really tired and slightly dizzy.

I'm not saying I managed to control or affect the fire in anyway, it just seemed like I did. So, anyone got an explanation?

Several points here. One is that memory is a supple thing. It is not nearly as hard and fast as most of us would like it to be. We often end up remembering things the way we believe them to be or the way we want them to be. I have a feeling that this supple memory thing is playing its part here.

Second it "seemed to go smaller"? From what distance? Define "seemed"? How much did the fire die down? Be precise belief, thinking something so and vague terms does not help your case.

Third you stared at a distant fire for five minutes straight concentrating on making the fire die down. You then looked away and felt really tired and dizzy? Surprise surprise. Nothing to do with psi powers here....

Lastly I have a suggestion. The next time something is amiss and you feel the need to intervene, get off your butt and do something about it. Don't just stand there staring and concentrating hoping some magical mystical power is going to help out. Get off your butt and act....

Kevin A.

Firstly, to 'Im-postle-able':

So you're saying that an whimsical explanation for a phenomenon which is unprovable, unreproducable, and has really weak evidence which seems to fall apart under even the most basic scruitiny is more interesting than rational and HEAVILY supported explanations with real evidence which is reproducable and can withstand scrutiny again & again...

Actually, I was trying to say that I dislike the idea of putting walls around everything, I don't like to think in black and white, where something is or isn't, 'heavily supported explanations'? no, I don't like the idea of something being definite.

A fully developed set of critical thinking skills completely destroys and supernatural

Then why are there some things that can't be explained? Why do I read and hear about things that people can't explain, true, maybe I shouldn't believe what the news, internet or people say, but I choose to at least give the supernatural a chance, and not to close my mind off to it.

To Kevin A.:

Several points here. One is that memory is a supple thing. It is not nearly as hard and fast as most of us would like it to be. We often end up remembering things the way we believe them to be or the way we want them to be. I have a feeling that this supple memory thing is playing its part here.

Perhaps, but I told two of my friends about this the day afterwards, and I know that I told them the exact same story.

Also, I can usually tell if a memory is solid or faded somewhat, and I have tried to change some things, or recall certain things about my memory, and I never can, which is why I'm sure that this is what happened. I'm not the type of person who'll lie to themselves to gain attention or to my my life sound more 'exciting'.

Second it "seemed to go smaller"? From what distance? Define "seemed"? How much did the fire die down? Be precise belief, thinking something so and vague terms does not help your case.

Third you stared at a distant fire for five minutes straight concentrating on making the fire die down. You then looked away and felt really tired and dizzy? Surprise surprise. Nothing to do with psi powers here....

The distance was from the top floor of my house, slightly diagonally on the grass verge, so it was across a one lane road. When I say seemed, basically in my eyes it went smaller, how much did it die down? Quite simply I can't remember, if I were to guess, I'd say it died by 1/4, so it was 3/4 the size, but I can't be sure.

Ok, so maybe I felt tired simply because I stared at it too long, but even so, I never claimed to have psi powers.

Lastly I have a suggestion. The next time something is amiss and you feel the need to intervene, get off your butt and do something about it. Don't just stand there staring and concentrating hoping some magical mystical power is going to help out. Get off your butt and act....

What do you expect me to do? Run over and chuck a glass of water at it? Somebody had already called the fire brigade, there was already somebody down there, but they were just trying to pull these plastic barriers (there were road works in our street) out of the fire, though it didn't help.

So seriously, what was I supposed to do? The only other thing I could have done was to watch like everyone else, since no one had anything to put a fire out with.

The world in an amazing place WITHOUT childish fantasies of the supernatural...

Why? I don't understand that arguement. Assuming that there's infinite universes (which is the only way the universe's creation can make sense), there had to be at least one complex universe out there. What's more, we are nothing more than quantum computers walking around a lonely planet. What's amazing about that?

The same logic applies here. 100 billion people in 10,000 years. Odds are that one would have a dream about a fire, then wake up and see one.

Edited by inkblot

Odds? If you discount everything as odds, then things are not going to be true. There are many people having premonitions everyday. The odds of that happening are very little. Lesser than anything else. And that goes on for a long time. Everyone has it. They can tell you. You i'm sure ever had an occation that you did not listen to your gut and regreted it. A lot of people has that.

A reminder is in order here......

The subject of metaphysical abilities and psychic phenomena is a very controversial one. There is and always will be conflict between those who strongly believe in these phenomena, and those who do not. Therefore it is important to respect each other's opinions on the subject. This means no flaming, no namecalling, no trolling and no personal attacks.

Thank you for your cooperation

Irish

That's an insightful statement, check out Carl Jung's views on 'synchronicity' which is his term for coincidence.

Here's a kind of stupid - but true - story on coincidences that just happened to me:

The other night I was watching "Kidnaped", and the star was Armand Assante. The next day I went to rent movies, I had been wanting to rent, "When Nietzche Wept" and rented it, it stars Armand Assante, then while the clerk was checking me out I quickly went back to get another movie at random, so I picked out "Consequence" without looking who the stars were, and just now I put it in and lo and behold! Armand Assante is the star!!

.............stupid but true!

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll accidentally run into Armand Assante, who i'm not any particular fan of, other than I thought he did a good job acting in "Napoleon"