Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
tali

The largest number ever to exsist?

34 posts in this topic

Tiggs
Tiggs has extensive knowledge of physics and quantum theory. You may wish to ask him to join in with some insight.

I wouldn't say that. StarTraveller and AI Guardian, however, do have. I'm more of an interested amateur.

Back to topic - Infinity is, by definition, the largest number.

The quickest way to get to infinity (mathematically) is divide any number by 0.

The easiest way I've found to explain infinity is to imagine a ball, with 9's written around it's centre, spinning round and round forever. If you were to sit there forever and read that number, as it continually span around, you'd have infinity.

In Maths - it's easier to say 9., rather than writing a list of never-ending nines down. However - as this would only hold true for base 10, Maths has it's own special symbol ∞, to represent it, which looks a lot like a Möbius strip. (Note that the actual history of the infinity symbol is a little more interesting)

The more interesting question is - Does infinity actually exist outside of mathematics?

Wombat

Such probability calculations, though perhaps impressive to the mathematically illiterate, are meaningless, because they involve calculating backwards. Let me demonstrate:

Imagine that you throw two dice 5 times. You will end up with a string of 10 numbers, ranging from 1 to 6. For example: 5, 3, 6, 2, 2, 4, 1, 4, 5, 1.

The chances of you getting this set of numbers is calculated like this: (1/6)^10 = 0,00000001653817168792. That's 1 in 60466176. On average, you would have to throw the dice every second for almost 2 years to reproduce those results. And that's just from 5 throws of two dice.

Now imagine that you are playing a game of monopoly, where you get to throw the two dice a total of, for example, 60 times. You will end up having thrown a total of 120 numbers ranging from 1 to 6.

The probability calcuation for this is: (1/6)^120. Excel can only handle up to 20 decimal places, so there are a lot of zeroes in my answer. Anyway, the chances of getting each of those numbers right is less than:

1 in 2,388,636,399,360,130,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00

That's roughly 2,38864E94.

One in 2388 billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion.

Does this mean that there is a dice throwing god? Of course not.

Edited by Wombat

Elite

i always thought that the biggest number u could say without resorting to literally saying stuff like 999999999999999999999999999999999

was googolplex

Wombat
The more interesting question is - Does infinity actually exist outside of mathematics?

Of course. It can be applied to virtually anything, for example 1∞th of a metre. Or the time that it is "actually" 12 o'clock.

Edited by Wombat

Tiggs
Of course. It can be applied to virtually anything, for example 1∞th of a metre. Or the time that it is "actually" 12 o'clock.

1∞th of a metre is zero. Or at least, smaller than Planck length, rendering it unmeasurable.

Wombat
1∞th of a metre is zero. Or at least, smaller than Planck length, rendering it unmeasurable.

In practice it is zero, but my point was that you can divide any length infinitely. Unless the Planck length sets some limit to it. I'm not sure.

pinOi32

did u forget about infinity?

hmm...maybe I can try searching on google for "the largest number on earth"??

Edited by pinOi32

Ghø§t
did u forget about infinity?

hmm...maybe I can try searching on google for "the largest number on earth"??

Only thing you'll find is this thread. xD

Foongus

There is no one number that is highest. Numbers are infinity, or go on forever. You can go your whole life writing down a number like 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

..etc. But theres always a number higher than that, so theres not one highest number. Numbers go on forever.