Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Eye of God"

Magikman

I think it might be a planetary nebula or whatever the nebula that forms after a sun has died is called.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VampChilde18

• Dowdy

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• Stellar

its definately a Nebula...I forget the real name of it. There's a thread about it somewhere on here, with some more beautiful pics.

edit: It's the Helix Nebula. Here's another thread about it:

clickety

and Here are some more beautiful pics

Edited by The Cheat

I believe when this picture was released National Geographic called it The Eye of God . NASA denies they named it that. But it is a stunning picture original.gif

I think it might be a planetary nebula or whatever the nebula that forms after a sun has died is called.

When a sun dies, it explodes then implodes, turning it into a black hole, go look up all the goory details, im to lazy to recite them, Oh and thats if they are big enough, which a sun usally is, just stars arn't

When a sun dies, it explodes then implodes, turning it into a black hole, go look up all the goory details, im to lazy to recite them, Oh and thats if they are big enough, which a sun usally is, just stars arn't

Not all of them. the ones that are massive enough do turn into black holes, but not certain other ones.

but suns are big enough, only stars don't, and yes i know suns are technically really big stars, but what we are looking at here is size os it does matter.

if it's 650 light years away, it will only takes 650 years for us to see it as it looks today. but if you look at it trough the hubble teleskope it will be less then 650 years i belive, since you get a closer look at it then, or mabey not. It depends on how long time the light takes to reach us, so when i think of it, i gues it takes just as long for it to reach hubble, it only enlarges the image but dosent make it closer*starts mumbling to himself*

Edited by gabe

Hey Gabe! Stop talking like that!

(Jeg har også registrert meg Ole Kristian!)

Oh sorry! I was just talking another language...

Listen Dudes: If the sun fades and dissapers it will take us some time to notice anything! Cuz the light takes a time to reach us!

As far as we know, That 'eye' can be gone for a while now!

I hope you guys understands me...

dagi!!!! see UniversalAbsurdity this is dagi

Edit:

Please use the English language on this board, or use PM's. Thank you.

Edited by Phantom

Pretty.

Its a Chupa!

oh wait, wrong forum..... :\

Just thing how infinitely large that thing is.....

• 2 weeks later...

I collect pics of nebulas, so I have seen this one before, and it is known as 'The Eye of God'. I think nebulas are the most beautiful part of space, and this one is no exception.

• 8 months later...

I dont know if anyone has heard of this beofre, but i recently found it on the web its called "the Eye fo GOD', and its suppose to be a cobo of pictures taken by NASA. Some people says its a hoax, i'd rather believe that the Universe has beautifull things like this for all to see ...

The phenomenon in the amazing image above is real. The Helix Nebula is a planetary nebula about 650 light-years from Earth. It's a popular target for astronomers because, due to its relative proximity, it's easily viewed through binoculars or telescope.

However, the image above is not a true "picture" in the technical sense of the word. Rather, it is a computer-generated and enhanced mosaic of nine separate photographs taken by the Hubble telescope and combined with a wider image captured by the National Science Foundation's telescope at Kitt Peak National Optical Astronomy Observatory near Tucson, Arizona. It is a scientific representation of what the nebula might look like.

Despite its resemblance to the human eye in this 2-dimensional image, the Helix Nebula is actually a spiral cylinder more than one trillion kilometers long. Since it points directly toward Earth, it looks like a bubble (or eye) to us, rather than the tube-like structure it really is.

personally i LOVE IT !, and I just felt like sharing it with everyone!!

user posted image

user posted imageBeautiful!

And in the spirit of extra-terrestial "WoW!" :*More beautiful right here*

user posted image

"Some say that the universe is made so that when we are about to understand it, it changes into something even more incomprehensible. And then there are those who say that this has already happened." Douglas Adams(Goddess Rest Your Soul. user posted image)

Edited by GoddessWhispers

but suns are big enough, only stars don't, and yes i know suns are technically really big stars, but what we are looking at here is size os it does matter.

232275[/snapback]

dude, there is no such thing as "suns" the word "sun" is the name of our solar systems star

but.. does it still look like this today? since that is what it looked like 650 years ago...

you'll have to wait another 650 million years to see what it looked like in 2004

129764[/snapback]

Just 650 years, Not 650 million. wink2.gif

Wow, thats absolutely beautiful.

And the pics that whispers posted are beautiful as well.

Thanks.

Nothing surpasses the natural beauty of the universe.

APOD

New picture every day since 6/16/95

Just google apod