Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flatliners Theory

Pluto-x

How far would you go!?

In the movie Flatliners the theory was that medical students were trying to put themselves under & die for brief seconds to find the answers of life & death.

If it was possible, would you put yourself under to try and get answers as to life after death?

Its a crazy theory, but I think its possible.

Disclaimer: This is a topic of discussion on the movie and its theory. I am not in anyway telling anyone to go and try this. It is not recommended. In fact I do not suggest trying it. My intentions with this topic is strictly open for discussion only.

Edited by Pluto-x

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pluto-x

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• Ignus Fatuus

• NoahJaymes

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but I would have my least favorite member try it :P

Just joking, that is tempting fate, eventually you may lose your mind.

No i wouldn't try it either. :no:

Im not that desperate to know that i would risk my life for it .

Been there twice. I would not ever choose to go back. I was not really dead though, just as those actors on this movie. Their is a huge difference between a stopped heart and a cold brain. I have not seen the light at the end of the tunnel, but I felt "the light" on one occasion directly before waking up in a pool of sweat and blood.

hmm well i sure wouldnt really...cause i imagine yah if you die you die permanently unless it's not your time to die yet. But i dont think we will ever and can possibly comprehend the thoughts of life and death.

You know what I have a nieghbor i should talk to him about this. He has some type of heart problem where they medically have to stop his heart than restart it. I wonder if he has had any NDE's.

Yea I mean, what if you try it and um...you die. Kinda suck wouldn't it...well, not for you because you wouldn't realize it unless there is life after death.

Yea I mean, what if you try it and um...you die. Kinda suck wouldn't it...well, not for you because you wouldn't realize it unless there is life after death.

yeah that'd be insane lol

heh neways...

a few years back I read that according to scientiests we lose 21 grams at the moment of our death. Is this our soul? Anybody have some updated info on this subject matter? If it is true, this would break the minds of many...

Edited by bogcreeper

Even if someone did this . it wouldnt really prove the aferlife . Many people have had NDE's . no evidence has been brought forward as yet that this is anything more than hallucinations caused by the brain when being starved of oxygen .

edit typo :rolleyes:

Edited by SS79

a few years back I read that according to scientiests we lose 21 grams at the moment of our death. Is this our soul? Anybody have some updated info on this subject matter? If it is true, this would break the minds of many...

that or its possible since the heart stops the blood pressure begins to drop since flow stops

Yes I have read a lot about the 21 grams phenomenon and it is actually true. Scientists and Doctors have no idea why this occurs and they do joke around and call it the soul.

Even if someone did this . it wouldnt really prove the aferlife . Many people have had NDE's . no evidence has been brought forward as yet that this is anything more than hallucinations caused by the brain when being starved of oxygen .

edit typo :rolleyes:

I had no light to see or have any hallucinations, when I came out of my coma. All I had was a "feeling of bliss" and peace. Even though I was brought up christian and had both grandfathers being preachers, I had lost all faith due to the things that I had been through and seen. I still have some skeptism about it, but when the last thing that I remember was asking "is that you god" before waking up in sweat and blood I can now say that I have a little faith. On the 21 grams post that I made. Really if your heart stops and the blood pressure drops etc.. etc... how in the world would that cause you to lose weight? I had theorized that it was oxygen and other gases (as well as your last round of brown) making it's way out of your body. I have got to study this more, see ya later...

I had no light to see or have any hallucinations, when I came out of my coma. All I had was a "feeling of bliss" and peace. Even though I was brought up christian and had both grandfathers being preachers, I had lost all faith due to the things that I had been through and seen. I still have some skeptism about it, but when the last thing that I remember was asking "is that you god" before waking up in sweat and blood I can now say that I have a little faith. On the 21 grams post that I made. Really if your heart stops and the blood pressure drops etc.. etc... how in the world would that cause you to lose weight? I had theorized that it was oxygen and other gases (as well as your last round of brown) making it's way out of your body. I have got to study this more, see ya later...

Im not trying to discount your experience at all . nor profess to know one way or the other if these visions are real or hallucinatory .

Its something ive been interested in for a while myself . My main point is that it wouldnt be proof for others if they did try what pluto is suggesting, as it has been done many times before( incvolentarilly of course lol) . and still the evidence is subjective and proof for only those who have the experiences . so trying this wouldnt change anything in terms of where we are at right now . :)

If you guys want to read a great book on the topic of NDE's pick up Dr. Raymond Moody's book "Life After Life"

Im not trying to discount your experience at all . nor profess to know one way or the other if these visions are real or hallucinatory .

Its something ive been interested in for a while myself . My main point is that it wouldnt be proof for others if they did try what pluto is suggesting, as it has been done many times before( incvolentarilly of course lol) . and still the evidence is subjective and proof for only those who have the experiences . so trying this wouldnt change anything in terms of where we are at right now . :)

I did not take it this way, though I have been told by others that it was all in my head. Your quote about "evidence is subjective and proof for only those who have the experiences" is the hammer on the nail. I have only found a few others that have "felt" sensations before coming to. Did I mention that I should not have even come to? Yea, I should have been dead period. When blood sugar drops and you go into a coma without ingesting any food, their is no glucose to bring my levels back up. There is something called glycogen produced by the liver for when blood sugar drops, but mine had hit rock bottom, meaning again I should not have came out of that coma. Maybe if there was a physical response that saved me, it was responsible for my sensations, but I probably will never know.

Yes I have read a lot about the 21 grams phenomenon and it is actually true. Scientists and Doctors have no idea why this occurs and they do joke around and call it the soul.

read something about that too while back.

While I believe in a soul, I don't think it weighs even that much, or if it even has "mass" at all. Think it has more to do with motion and lack of motion and possible expulsion of various material through various orifices... that kind of thing.

Weight of Soul is 21 grams = FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

And regarding "temporary death", that would seem to defeat the purpose, which would be for the living to understand death and life after it, in our own terms, not to just go experience it. At the absolute least, that is a scientifically flawed and irresponsible approach to an experiment, that ignores the scientific method altogether.

I just don't understand how people can argue over dismissing or discrediting beliefs whether its skepticism or not how can you know both answers? How do you know there is nothing? And how do we know there is something out there? The answer is NOBODY has the answer. We will never know until you die or pass over. I think that was the main theory and reason behind making the movie Flatliners.

Weight of Soul is 21 grams = FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

And regarding "temporary death", that would seem to defeat the purpose, which would be for the living to understand death and life after it, in our own terms, not to just go experience it. At the absolute least, that is a scientifically flawed and irresponsible approach to an experiment, that ignores the scientific method altogether.

dude are you blind read the status at the top of the page it reads true

How far would you go!?

In the movie Flatliners the theory was that medical students were trying to put themselves under & die for brief seconds to find the answers of life & death.

If it was possible, would you put yourself under to try and get answers as to life after death?

Its a crazy theory, but I think its possible.

I would have done it when I was younger, but now I have other considerations. KIDS.lol

dude are you blind read the status at the top of the page it reads true

Be careful who you call blind.

It is true that Dr. McDougall did go through the process of trying to weigh people during death to see if they lost weight, but if you actually read the article it is questionable in that the results are pretty sketchy in regards to losing 21 grams of weight upon death.

Hey Eric.... long time no see!

It was a great movie though.

I loved that movie.