Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunters vs. PRS vs. Most Haunted!?

Pluto-x

I hate the fact they use the term Deadtime???? Its just an EVP session!!! A bunch of kids looking to make a name for themselves whether a place is haunted or not.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pluto-x

• LIGhostChick

• Plainbob13

• NoahJaymes

I hate the fact they use the term Deadtime???? Its just an EVP session!!! A bunch of kids looking to make a name for themselves whether a place is haunted or not.

Well, it's actually them trying to coin a catch phrase. Since GH use "Let's go lights out" to signify that the setup is done, and the investigation is about to begin, these guys had to try and come up with their own little phrase to try and be cool, like the grown ups.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Hunters, hands down.

They have the experience, equipment, and don't get scared by EVERYTHING.

Now, I want to add another team into this mix:

How about the Ghostfacers??? :lol:

How about the Ghostfacers??? :lol:

That was a very "interesting" episode. But a topic for another thread. ;)

As for using more equipment, think about it: If a group ran say 8 cameras over a 10 hour investigation that's 80 hours of video to be reviewed (you'd want to review each camera view individually to be thorough). Now add let's say another 10 audio recorders for 100 hours of EVP audio, 2 or 3 thermal cameras for another 20-30 hours of video, and let's say several hundred still photos too. Sum it up and even if you reviewed evidence for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week you're looking at minimum of 2 weeks just evidence review! Few groups have the time to do that as SOP, much less when you have to make a production deadline for editing.

Besides, more equipment doesn't make for a better investigation or a better investigator.

QUOTE (Lady_Boleyn @ May 4 2008, 04:54 PM) *

How about the Ghostfacers??? :D

Well, I couldn't resist.

As for using more equipment, think about it: If a group ran say 8 cameras over a 10 hour investigation that's 80 hours of video to be reviewed (you'd want to review each camera view individually to be thorough). Now add let's say another 10 audio recorders for 100 hours of EVP audio, 2 or 3 thermal cameras for another 20-30 hours of video, and let's say several hundred still photos too. Sum it up and even if you reviewed evidence for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week you're looking at minimum of 2 weeks just evidence review! Few groups have the time to do that as SOP, much less when you have to make a production deadline for editing.

Besides, more equipment doesn't make for a better investigation or a better investigator.

I agree totally especially about equipment making a better investigation. I think TAPS gets paid well. They have Roto Rooter vans, funding, then jump into a bunch of Yukons with TAPS name on them, and drive all over the place. What bothers me sometimes is when they review evidence and are 1/2 asleep, dozing off. They could miss something IMO...JN

Well. It seems the New PS thread bit the dust so ill post this well written review of PS here.

Thoughts on "Paranormal State"

At this point, I’ve watched several episodes of this series, and while there’s a fleeting chance that my opinion will change over time, I sincerely doubt it. This sampling is more than enough to understand the mindset of PRS as a group and the production company’s intention for the show. Taken in context with some easily-verified background information, this series is revealed as questionable at best.

PRS is run by Ryan Buell, whom I’ve met on at least one occasion. Ryan is a personable young man with a true interest in the paranormal. His organization has run the popular “Univ-Con” paranormal conferences at Penn State’s main campus for several years, and each convention has become more and more of an event. Many of the members of PRS featured on “Paranormal State” have been long-term members of the organization, and have been personally invested in the success of Univ-Con.

I attended Univ-Con 5, where the first “sneak preview” of “Paranormal State” was unveiled. That was in the fall of 2006, which should indicate how long some of the footage has been sitting on the shelf. This is an important consideration. This is not an organization like TAPS, where the core team members had been operating for years before the creation of “Ghost Hunters”. This is an organization of college students. If TAPS can be criticized for lack of experience and education, PRS certainly can as well.

If PRS had decided to pursue a scientifically-based method of investigation, basing the organization within a collegiate setting would make perfect sense. After all, PRS could then cull membership from thousands of scientists and engineers, providing a near-endless resource pool of analytical methods and instrumentation. Lack of experience is almost a moot point when such methods are employed; the subject is almost irrelevant when the goal is detection and analysis.

Unfortunately, PRS operates in very different territory. Where TAPS at least attempts to employ the scientific method, PRS relies on pseudo-religious demonology and accumulated pop culture folklore. Mediumship is more than accepted; it’s a vital tool in every investigation. Every investigation thus far has resulted in the presence of demonic entities or individuals otherwise in contact with the spiritual realm. In the eyes of PRS, figures like Chip Coffey and Lorraine Warren are legendary heroes. Thus far, not one shred of independently verifiable evidence has been offered on the show: no video, no audio.

Such methods have a long history in the paranormal field, but most credible researchers see little value in what must be, by default, subjective interpretation. Only so much can be attributed to editing and production decisions; the rest is what PRS is bringing to each and every investigation. And as the director, that falls on the shoulders of Ryan Buell.

Ryan, as depicted on the show, is a young man convinced that he is being hunted by a demon. He believes that this demon has followed him from investigation to investigation, purposefully attacking families to draw him into conflict after conflict. Psychologically speaking, this is a mindset that perpetuates and escalates itself with every new experience. Every time Ryan walks into an investigation, he’s sure that there’s demonic activity and he warns his team of that eventuality. So they go into the investigation ready to interpret everything as demonic, the scant “evidence” is analyzed through that filter, and ultimately the mindset is reinforced.

For their own part, PRS will consistently swear that they go into every new investigation with an open mind and few, if any, preconceptions. As good as that sounds, every investigator (especially those employing non-scientific methods) walks into a situation with assumptions and preconceptions. It’s disingenuous to state otherwise, and if anything, it’s a sure sign that the investigators don’t understand basic human psychology on a real-world level. Even the most seasoned, objective investigators in any field will categorize and profile situations based on experience and statistics.

It should be noted, however, that this is how Ryan and PRS have been depicted on “Paranormal State”. Considering that this is a “candid reality” show, it’s entirely possible that the emphasis on demons is all about editing together a storyline for dramatic purposes. Herein lies the problem: the editors cannot create words and deeds that never happened. They can retool context, but if Ryan is constantly talking about being a “holy warrior”, that’s not the fault of the editing.

Instead, it comes down to the question of sincerity and honesty. Ryan and his team are either completely sincere and honest in their belief of demonic forces behind every “haunted” door, or they are dishonestly approaching every filmed case in this fashion to generate interest, and therefore, ratings.

If Ryan has been portrayed accurately, then it would be very interesting to see what an independent psychologist thinks of his interpretations. Considering that everything he says has a basis in demonology, a subject that is essentially an accumulation of folklore, myth, and superstition, his interpretations are entirely subjective. His belief in a demonic stalker is disturbing, and one could look upon PRS as his own cult of personality. In fact, he appears delusional, seeking attention and confirmation that he’s “special”.

If he is convinced that he is part of some holy war against the darkness, I would love to have him explain why his conclusions about this demonic activity are unique and undisputable. Where is the proof? How does one categorize demonic activity, and where is this criteria outlined? And what previous sources led to those criteria? Seeing demons is a matter of subjective belief, because there is no objective means of confirming their existence. Similarly, if one believes in the presence of angels, they will filter all experience through that filter. It’s not about investigation; it’s self-fulfilling prophecy.

Unfortunately, other evidence suggests that this demon-haunted world of PRS may be manufactured, at least in part. One is defined by company kept, and in this case, Lorraine Warren is questionable company. Warren was part of the infamous Amityville hoax, which any credible paranormal researcher knows to have been concocted as a money-making scheme. Either Ryan failed to do his homework, or such incidents were not bothersome in the face of demons coming out of the woodwork.

Ryan also claims to have been brought in on a case by the local Catholic dioceses in at least one episode. This is very hard to believe. Setting aside the notion that the Church would call upon any paranormal investigator to deal with anything remotely demonic, considering their own well-guarded and intense training protocols for their own clergy, it’s quite laughable to suggest that they would ask for assistance from a college student. This is as bad as claiming religious authority based on purchased ordination from the Universal Life Church.

But the most damning evidence against the veracity of “Paranormal State” is the method of generating cases. When the show was first under production (as “Paranormal U”), visitors to Univ-Con 5 were solicited to generate potential clients for the series. That campaign soon spread to MySpace. In other words, PRS had to hunt clients down to get enough material for the series...and yet, every investigation seems to connect to Ryan’s demonic stalker or, at the very least, some kind of demonic activity. At the exact same time, no other group in the same region of the Mid-Atlantic reports a similar instance of extreme dark or negative paranormal activity. The statistics have disturbing implications.

There’s also one other item to consider. The demon supposedly stalking Ryan Buell is supposed to have a name so secret that it should not be named. It is particularly vile and esoteric, so no one should know the name unless they have encountered the demon before. The producers, of course, edit in the name in quick flashes, so it’s not much of a secret: Belial. Here’s the interesting point: this is such a familiar name that it has been used in horror movies for decades, never mind novels in the genre (“Basket Case”, anyone?). And while at Univ-Con, fellow paranormal fans were happily invited to watch every single horror movie in the theatres that weekend with the members of PRS. Hardly proof of anything, but it does paint a picture: if PRS members are horror film fans, they would be familiar with the conventions of the genre and seemingly “esoteric” names, familiar enough to scare viewers.

PRS hosts one of the biggest paranormal conferences in the nation. They see, year after year, the potential rewards that come with fame and fortune in the paranormal entertainment industry. It’s possible that a production company saw Ryan’s deep belief in demonology and thought the subject would make for a fascinating candid reality series. If so, the show does not portray Ryan and his organization in a favorable light; he seems more fanatical than intelligent. It’s also possible that Ryan and his organization conceived of a means to chase their own fame and fortune in the industry.

Whatever the case, “Paranormal State” works best if viewed as fiction rendered in the style of reality programming. Taken from that perspective, it is entertaining enough to watch and appreciate on its own merits. As a slice of reality, however, the final product is disappointing and demeaning to its subjects. It would take a lot more than “Paranormal State” to convince me of Ryan’s claims. As a paranormal researcher, it would be intriguing to see PRS in action in person, to see how closely reality is depicted by “reality”.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/Cr...equot/800030982

Its well said with no attacks just plain talk.

I find it funny now that Moderators are closing PRS threads because they see most of the forum posters hate the show! HAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO!!! :lol:

I find it funny now that Moderators are closing PRS threads because they see most of the forum posters hate the show! HAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO!!! :lol:

I know. It's a shame.

Out of the three I'd rank them is this order.

1. Most Haunted

2. PRS

3. TAPS

I just simply find Most Haunted and PRS to be a more enjoying show than TAPS. For everyone constantly criticizing PRS, let it go. It's not the best paranormal show off all-time, but it isn't the worst either. Some where in the middle is where I'd place it.

-DK

Edited by Da Kid

1. Most Haunted

2. PRS

3. TAPS

I just simply find Most Haunted and PRS to be a more enjoying show than TAPS. For everyone constantly criticizing PRS, let it go. It's not the best paranormal show off all-time, but it isn't the worst either. Some where in the middle is where I'd place it.

-DK

LMAO Thks for the laugh. For i min there i was worried there would be a Chris Crocker leave Brittany alone moment.

Edited by Plainbob13

I think Moon P requested it to be closed.

I am all for multiple "I hate PS" threads. lol

1. Most Haunted

2. PRS

3. TAPS

-DK

I will never let it go. I feel it is my civic & moral duty to make sure this show is dropped off the air. :innocent: Boo ya.

I will never let it go. I feel it is my civic & moral duty to make sure this show is dropped off the air. :innocent: Boo ya.

:tsu::clap::nw::tsu::clap::nw::tsu::clap::nw:

Okay, first off TAPS is WAYYYY better than PS. Here is the reasoning:

They have the equipment, and experience to deal with a haunting. They are scientific. So when they do catch paranormal phenomenon, and they can't debunk it, then you know SOMETHING is going on here.

From what I've seen and read PS has non-scientific means, and makes-up evidence.

I will never let it go. I feel it is my civic & moral duty to make sure this show is dropped off the air. innocent.gif Boo ya.

:tu:

Thank you! Thank you! LOL...

Welcome back C.W.!!!

Everyone knows my reasons by now why I hate the show. I have VERY GOOD PERSONAL REASONS. I will also continue to make sure the public know the truth, and what fakes they are. It might be beating a dead horse, but most of us are enjoying it and its more entertaining bashing it then watching it.

We can bash the show gentlemen, long as we pertain to the rules of the forum!? But my bashing is not really bashing. Its called exploiting the truth and sharing my difference of opinion.

I think its pretty obvious, regarding the opinions on PS, TAPS and MostHaunted. I like them all, because they are all different, and the investigations are like night and day. However TAPS has changed lately and all the sudden every place is "haunted" and they are getting more evidence. They rarely debunk anymore, which is not their style. It could be ratings, complaints or a fluke. I have watched Most Haunted for 4 years every Friday night. I love to see the castles, and gorgeous dwellings in the UK. Once Derek was fired I enjoyed it more. I believe that Dr.Ciaran O'Keefe and David Wells have fantastic resumes. People dont like it cause they scream and swear. Hey thats the way the show runs. I have seen some good stuff on that show. Again, its totally different than TAPS..So now we go to Paranormal State. Ive said before I enjoy that too. I think Ryan is very dedicated to helping people and will go the extra mile, whereas other teams wont. Granted they are young, but they arent thugs, they attend Penn State, and not dumb. Whoever it was that said Ryan is still being chased by his Demon is wrong. Ryan said himself that an exorcism was performed and its gone. During the first few episodes he was literally terrified, that is easy to see. Thats why he chose this field to begin with. They arent fake, they dont lie, they do a great deal of research, and speaking to witnesses, and then go on with the investigation and they dont leave till they remedy the problem. They are also honest and tell what happened to them to make them go into the field. Jay and Grant keep it a secret and no clue why. So that is totally different from TAPS and MostHaunted, but just as interesting. Let us not forget GHI, which IMO is pretty much like Most Haunted, only with Brian who is equivelent to Stuart and everything is haunted. So its my opinion that all these shows are fun to watch, they are all different, and all deserve kudos for putting themselves in dangerous situations every week to help others and entertain, and try to educate the public in their own style..OMG sorry for the longevity of this post LOL JN

I'd never exert that much energy hating on anything. Whatever makes you feel good; I guess.

-DK

I'd never exert that much energy hating on anything. Whatever makes you feel good; I guess.

-DK

Your noy howyadoin are you lol.

-DK

LOL I totally agree, especially a TV show..JN

When they mess with your paranormal team on a personal level, you would understand.

But your not in my shoes!? Or the person who they screwed over?

When they mess with your paranormal team on a personal level, you would understand.

Now that's a story I'm sure we'd all like to hear. :o

Sounds like some Paranormal drama...lol. That would make a better TV show than all three.

Do tell.