Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How could Adam and Eve know they were naked?

sewinglife/chimera

originally ask on yahoo anwser.

How could Adam and Eve know they were naked when public nudity and clothing attire of any kind were not invented. How could they just magicaly think that their reproductive organs being shown is taboo, and they just magicaly invent the idea of covering themselves

keep in mind, Eves not going to point at adams penis and laugh saying its to small, they were sposed to be the first humans right? as far as im conserned nudity wouldnt be an issue, and if the climate was bad It would take a while to understand and find fur or what ever.

wWhy would they be ashamed its their natural bodies, they wouldnt even know what nakedness was cause all they knew was being naked.

I don't see whats so sin about nakedness if they were the first humans, I never got this even when I was growing up as a thiest. I am agnostic but I do not but this story or christianity in general, also if you are a bible cherry pick remember this is the orignal word of your god ( talking snakes, and donkeys intact) if you do not believe the bible 100% the truth and word of god, then are you not calling your god a liar.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady Otterwynnd

• sewinglife/chimera

• Beckys_Mom

• danielost

originally ask on yahoo anwser.

How could Adam and Eve know they were naked when public nudity and clothing attire of any kind were not invented. How could they just magicaly think that their reproductive organs being shown is taboo, and they just magicaly invent the idea of covering themselves

keep in mind, Eves not going to point at adams penis and laugh saying its to small, they were sposed to be the first humans right? as far as im conserned nudity wouldnt be an issue, and if the climate was bad It would take a while to understand and find fur or what ever.

wWhy would they be ashamed its their natural bodies, they wouldnt even know what nakedness was cause all they knew was being naked.

I don't see whats so sin about nakedness if they were the first humans, I never got this even when I was growing up as a thiest. I am agnostic but I do not but this story or christianity in general, also if you are a bible cherry pick remember this is the orignal word of your god ( talking snakes, and donkeys intact) if you do not believe the bible 100% the truth and word of god, then are you not calling your god a liar.

Because man wrote the Bible and man was already indoctrinated into the belief that showing your genitals was taboo. That leads us to another question; if humans were created in the image of God, did God wear clothes? If not, then why would he create them without clothes? And if he didn't have clothes, then why would he make it "bad" to be naked? That would make him either a hypocrite or a liar.

Because man wrote the Bible and man was already indoctrinated into the belief that showing your genitals was taboo. That leads us to another question; if humans were created in the image of God, did God wear clothes? If not, then why would he create them without clothes? And if he didn't have clothes, then why would he make it "bad" to be naked? That would make him either a hypocrite or a liar.

Exactly my point, the story makes no sense whats so ever. It is true that if you deny things like the ark story and adam and eve and keep cherry picking crap that sounds pleasing to you. The whole bible falls apart because your deity or your source information I.E (the bible) is a false deceptive tool.

look im not disagreeing with you that man wrote the bible...what is God supposed to come down and write him himself then jump back up to heaven? doesnt that defeat the principle of faith in which is one of the more important God works with? adam and eve were both innocent, they knew only good and had no conception of evil whatsoever. by eating the fruit (knowledge between good and evil) they become aware of a whole new world of moral dilemmas.

however how does knowing good from evil affect your perception of nakedness? after adam had eaten the fruit he hid from God? what was his answer? was he embarassed of what he did? adam says "I heard your voice in the Garden and I hid because I was naked." ...omehow, Adam's consciousness of being naked was so profound, so disturbing to him — that it trumped in his mind even his sense of shame at having disobeyed the one command of his Maker.

look im not disagreeing with you that man wrote the bible...what is God supposed to come down and write him himself then jump back up to heaven? doesnt that defeat the principle of faith in which is one of the more important God works with? adam and eve were both innocent, they knew only good and had no conception of evil whatsoever. by eating the fruit (knowledge between good and evil) they become aware of a whole new world of moral dilemmas.

however how does knowing good from evil affect your perception of nakedness? after adam had eaten the fruit he hid from God? what was his answer? was he embarassed of what he did? adam says "I heard your voice in the Garden and I hid because I was naked." ...omehow, Adam's consciousness of being naked was so profound, so disturbing to him — that it trumped in his mind even his sense of shame at having disobeyed the one command of his Maker.

But how is being naked bad? In all reality it's not bad at all, unless Adam suddenly became incredibly insecure about...well, his package since he now knew good and evil. Morals are different for every person, culture, population, religion, and belief system on the planet. No two people have the same morals, so how to we prove what is truly "immoral" and "moral"? We can't.

But how is being naked bad? In all reality it's not bad at all, unless Adam suddenly became incredibly insecure about...well, his package since he now knew good and evil. Morals are different for every person, culture, population, religion, and belief system on the planet. No two people have the same morals, so how to we prove what is truly "immoral" and "moral"? We can't.

I believe that God asked Adam the same question. When God asked Adam who told you that you were naked?

I believe that God asked Adam the same question. When God asked Adam who told you that you were naked?

Maybe God (if he exists) runs around naked, for all we know. Maybe nudity as being evil is just some taboo created by man.

Jeeez people . . . can we you say allegory and metaphor?

:tu: "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically, but when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then they are in trouble!" -Joseph Campbell

Jeeez people . . . can we you say allegory and metaphor?

We know Etu. We're just assuming that this story means what it means without any metaphors for the sake of the argument.

Maybe God (if he exists) runs around naked, for all we know. Maybe nudity as being evil is just some taboo created by man.

Or maybe be nude is a universal taboo. Those societies that accept it are wrong, maybe.

Or maybe be nude is a universal taboo. Those societies that accept it are wrong, maybe.

Maybe people are just insecure in general.... You know what they say about people with big cars in America.... ;) Maybe we all need to get over our insecurities about our bodies. It seems like the media is promoting less and less clothing....so I guess we're kind of getting over it.

Maybe people are just insecure in general.... You know what they say about people with big cars in America.... ;) Maybe we all need to get over our insecurities about our bodies. It seems like the media is promoting less and less clothing....so I guess we're kind of getting over it.

The problem I have is how could adam be inscure about his body I mean he was the first human so the bible says, He would have no reason to hide from eve he had no one to compare himself too.

The problem I have is how could adam be inscure about his body I mean he was the first human so the bible says, He would have no reason to hide from eve he had no one to compare himself too.

Hm, that's true.... So I guess Adam was just mentally traumatized by God?

Maybe Adam started staring at Eve's body after eating the fruit. Making her selfconcise of it.

We know Etu. We're just assuming that this story means what it means without any metaphors for the sake of the argument.

Whoa . . . how can you argue over something that you admit you know is false?

I might have to go home now . . .

Whoa . . . how can you argue over something that you admit you know is false?

I might have to go home now . . .

For fun and enlightenment of course! Even if I don't believe in something, that doesn't mean I can't argue for or against it. A good debater can argue both sides of an argument with the same strength, regardless of what you believe.

Maybe Adam started staring at Eve's body after eating the fruit. Making her selfconcise of it.

That could be true. I'd feel uncomfortable if a guy was staring at me naked! :blink:

Ok I thought that they didn't know they were naked until they ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge and THAT was the moment they felt exposed. It's a story, so who knows what it is all supposed to mean...maybe the knowledge in the fruit was of all the cultures to come in the world. I mean really because it was written by man, so many thousands of years ago, its nearly impossible to glean any real meaning. There are many questions about Genesis, and that is about ten down on a list of about fifty....

Ok I thought that they didn't know they were naked until they ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge and THAT was the moment they felt exposed.

Totally, the idea of the tree of knowledge is you now understand good and evil; whereas before you did not. Now you have the ability to be consciously evil vs. being ignorant of evil but committing that act anyway. So maybe Adam was staring at Eve all the time but before he had the knowledge of evil he stared at her without the possibility of evil in his mind.

Totally, the idea of the tree of knowledge is you now understand good and evil; whereas before you did not. Now you have the ability to be consciously evil vs. being ignorant of evil but committing that act anyway. So maybe Adam was staring at Eve all the time but before he had the knowledge of evil he stared at her without the possibility of evil in his mind.

Well what the hell is so evil with being naked, I do not see any conflict and they were created in theie adult state, had once they bite this magical apple they learn laguage and culture skills, Its not a story in the realm of reality. And they were created naked or of lack of fur but how could you even no of the concept of clothing yourself, and being naked as wrong , I mean really they were the first humans ever to exist?

Well what the hell is so evil with being naked, I do not see any conflict and they were created in theie adult state, had once they bite this magical apple they learn laguage and culture skills, Its not a story in the realm of reality. And they were created naked or of lack of fur but how could you even no of the concept of clothing yourself, and being naked as wrong , I mean really they were the first humans ever to exist?

here is a good question. Where in the bible does it say that Adam and Eve were created as adults?

here is a good question. Where in the bible does it say that Adam and Eve were created as adults?

Were they babies? then if so the story is even more bizzare and fictional, oh yea and a talking snake with legs

Edited by sewinglife/chimera

Were they babies? then if so the story is even more bizzare and fictional, oh yea and a talking snake with legs

Just because you/we assume something doesn't make it so.

biology tells us that snakes used to have legs.

Just because you/we assume something doesn't make it so.

biology tells us that snakes used to have legs.

But then you'd have to assume evolution is correct, wouldn't you?