Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who's right?

norwood1026

With all the different denominations of Christianty out there how can anyone be sure that they are following the right one?

The Catholics do not believe in Satan the Christians do but they do not pray to Mary. The Jews believe that Jesus has not even come yet & that we're all wrong. The list goes on from there so what makes your denominations right?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• will_1835

• Beckys_Mom

• Papaver

With all the different denominations of Christianty out there how can anyone be sure that they are following the right one?

The Catholics do not believe in Satan the Christians do but they do not pray to Mary. The Jews believe that Jesus has not even come yet & that we're all wrong. The list goes on from there so what makes your denominations right?

IMO I dont think ANY religion is right. The texts are too old and missing too much information, if you even believe any of it. Good question though, one I have been asking alot throughout my life. i'd say they would all tell you their version is the correct one, but how do they know that?

I think that no religion is 100% right. But each one has a level of truth and is good for its followers. I personally think that the religion I belong to has the most truth, and gives me more answers to the deep questions I have asked all my life. (I am sure most people think the same about their own religion.

I am right - bow down and follow ME :P

Oooh - off to start a new topic now. We are all gonna create a new really whacked out religion just for fun (but I get to be the leader) :D

The Catholics do not believe in Satan
Of course they do. Infact, they obsess about satan more than Protestants.

the Christians do but they do not pray to Mary.
The Catholic ones do.

The Jews believe that Jesus has not even come yet
Most Jews believe Jesus to be an historical character. Besides, it's not like they are waiting for him. They're Jewish afterall.

& that we're all wrong.
The Jews do not belive that any religion is wrong. Judaism is one of the most open-minded religions, and believe all paths least to the same place.

Try them all out. Learn about them. Find the one that works best for you.

The list goes on from there so what makes your denominations right?

Personally, I think a religion is right, when they bring positive things to the world.

Everyone should follow their own path and compare notes with those who are doing the same.

Best opinion I've ever heard concerning religion. :tu:

Of course they do. Infact, they obsess about satan more than Protestants.

The Catholic ones do.

Most Jews believe Jesus to be an historical character. Besides, it's not like they are waiting for him. They're Jewish afterall.

The Jews do not belive that any religion is wrong. Judaism is one of the most open-minded religions, and believe all paths least to the same place.

Try them all out. Learn about them. Find the one that works best for you.

Personally, I think a religion is right, when they bring positive things to the world.

I've never heard of the Catholics preach about Satan or going to hell they might I just never heard of it. As far as the Jews that I know they are still waiting for Jesus to come save them first because they believe that they are God's chosen people.

Everyone should follow their own path and compare notes with those who are doing the same.

Debate forum...

I don't think any religion is right as far as mankind's destiny is concerned, nor our origins.

In alot of cases religion does set people on a righteous path concerning a moral and ethical way of life. I do believe though that religion stunts an individual's spiritual growth, indeed it limits a person's potential of achieving a high level of spiritual awareness.

Religion hinders this spiritual growth by attributing things to a higher power. The power of prayer demonstrates this beautifully. If you gather 200 people in a room all concentrating on one positive thought chances are something is going to happen. If it does happen, and often when it doesn't happen, this is attributed to God.

How is it god though? What if the true power rested in the power of the human mind?

When this is done in the absence of God, then what happens is that mankind then realizes the true power that rests in all of us. We would probably unite under this mass realization. To attribute to a higher power is harmful in the sense that it alleviates the true onus that lies within the individual. To accept and realize this onus also forces a person to be more responsible of their places in our environment, indeed more caring of the very ground on which we tread.

Another example is when people thank God for providing the very food on their tables that they themselves worked hard to provide!

Some insightful quotes:

The problem to be faced is: how to combine loyalty to one's own tradition with reverence for different traditions.

- Abraham Joshua Heschel

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

-Abraham Lincoln

That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.

-Abraham Lincoln

Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind.

-Albert Einstein

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

-Annelies Marie Frank

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.

-Johnathan Swift

Edited by Clovis

I've never heard of the Catholics preach about Satan or going to hell they might I just never heard of it.
The Catholics talk a LOT about hell and satan. It's because they are so superstitious.

As far as the Jews that I know they are still waiting for Jesus to come save them first because they believe that they are God's chosen people.
I think you will find that there isn't a single Jew waiting for Jesus.....

I think you will find that there isn't a single Jew waiting for Jesus.....

I think he meant waiting for the Messiah.

However, there are Jews who believe Jesus was the Messiah, they're Messianic jews.

The Catholics do not believe in Satan

I was raised Catholic and once believe there was a satan...

The christians believe they are right (they should do and are meant to, otherwise its pointless) same with the rest of those faiths..they all believe they are right...they should and are meant to in order to hold the faith

What is the point in thinking you could be wrong?? if thet's the case, then be agnostic and sit one the fence!!

Isn't it called faith for a reason??

'norwood1026' date='Apr 24 2008, 02:51 PM' post='2264271']

I've never heard of the Catholics preach about Satan or going to hell they might I just never heard of it. As far as the Jews that I know they are still waiting for Jesus to come save them first because they believe that they are God's chosen people.

jews waiting for jesus ? lol no. Jesus didn't fulfill the prophecies. they are waiting for the coming of the messiah.

a short and to the point answer -

The Messiah described in the prophecies of the Hebrew Bible.

He is described as a king who will have the unique ability to "smite evil" with his mouth (i.e. without force).

He will be a great prophet and scholar, a person of impeccable character.

The Messiah will be the ultimate teacher; he will restore Judaism to the highest levels of observance.

This Messiah will herald a time of world peace and the destruction of all weapons. He will usher in an era when "the occupation of the entire world will be only to know G-d" (as per Isaiah 11).

He will gather all the dispersed Jews from around the world to Israel and will rebuild a Temple in Jerusalem.

To qualify, he must be a descendant of King Solomon, son of King David (this must be paternal ancestry).

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/272114

However, there are Jews who believe Jesus was the Messiah, they're Messianic jews.

I'll be sure to pass that along to my Jewish friends..... :rofl: The Jews were Gods chosen people Jesus was a Jew himself. Jesus was not a Christian, he was a Jew from birth untill he died. The OT is the jewish bible they do not believe in the NT. They are still waiting for God to come save them first they do not even believe that he is the son of God. Below are the reasons why they do not believe in jesus as their savior.

1) Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.

2) Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.

3) Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.

4) Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

5) Christianity contradicts Jewish theology

6) Jews and Gentiles

7) Bringing the Messiah

Beckys_Mom, From what I've understood aout the Catholics they do believe in evil but not Satan I could be wrong. We could all be wrong but thats where our faith comes in at. There are people here on this fourm who believe that the Catholics are not Christian & some that do, I for one could care less of they are or not.

Clovis, thank you for your typical response..

Edited by norwood1026

They all have faith. This of course perfectly demonstrates the big problem with faith - that the beliefs are not based on objective evidence (otherwise it wouldn't be called faith anymore) and that they cannot all be right. So one of two things is happening in the world of the faithful. Either one set is correct and all the others are wrong, thus leaving the wrong faiths based on false beliefs, untruths, and therefore invalid. Or they are all wrong and all faiths are invalid.

Not a good position to be in, basing your beliefs on faith. The chances of getting it right are poor however you look at it.

never mind. but decent 'bumperstickers'

This one is cool...

linked-image

Messianic Jews aren't really Jews

Messianic Jews aren't really Jews

We used to have a couple of Messianic Jews on this board, I haven't seen 'em around in a while. I think they'd disagree with you.

We used to have a couple of Messianic Jews on this board, I haven't seen 'em around in a while. I think they'd disagree with you.

You can't adhere to two contradictory faiths. Besides, I practiced Judaism for years, and dealt with the "Messianics" more than once. They are not the most favoured group among Jews.

You can't adhere to two contradictory faiths. Besides, I practiced Judaism for years, and dealt with the "Messianics" more than once. They are not the most favoured group among Jews.

I saw your pic..and you do look Jewish...(not trying to be funny) just saying

Well, of course they aren't favored by Jews! hahaha.

Kind of like Quakers, Mormons, and JW's aren't favored by Christians... doesn't make them not "real" Christians.

And every last one of them is absolutely and utterly without doubt convinced that they have it right.

It's almost funny.