Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who's right?

norwood1026

And every last one of them is absolutely and utterly without doubt convinced that they have it right.

It's almost funny.

Stereotypes do make life a bit easier and take the hard work of getting to know or understand people.

Religious pluralism (rel. comparative religion) is a loosely defined term concerning peaceful relations between different religions, and is also used in a number of related ways:

* Religious Pluralism may describe the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions.

* Religious pluralism often is used as a synonym for ecumenism. At a minimum, ecumenism is the promotion of unity, co-operation, or improved understanding between different religions, or denominations within the same religion

* As a synonym for religious tolerance, which is a condition of harmonious co-existence between adherents of different religions or religious denominations.

Adherents of religious pluralism recognize that different religions make different truth claims. For example, most Christians believe that Jesus was God incarnate and that he died for the salvation of humanity while Buddhists believe that enlightenment liberates one from the cycle of rebirth so that it may enter into Nirvana. Christians do not claim that Christ leads to Nirvana nor are Buddhists claiming that Buddha is the son of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_pluralism

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• will_1835

• Beckys_Mom

• Papaver

"Religious Pluralism may describe the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions."

I'll have to take a different view now that you show me new information.

Edited by Papaver

linked-image

I thought thise site was cute.

What's really cute is the Pagan symbol behind Jesus' head. :wub:

Well that is just because the Catholic church was created by blending old Roman pagan beliefs and what was then the new Christian religion. Any of the offshoots of Catholicism as well as any artistic renditions made by them, or inspired by them, are likely to have pagan symbols. Tis the reason why most of the 'Christian' holidays are just reworked Pagan ones. Of course those who read the Bible would know no where does it say to celebrate any holiday on any specific day so in effect those holidays are not really biblical even if they are 'Christian'.

Edited by Clovis

Well that is just because the Catholic church was created by blending old Roman pagan beliefs and what was then the new Christian religion. Any of the offshoots of Catholicism as well as any artistic renditions made by them, or inspired by them, are likely to have pagan symbols. Tis the reason why most of the 'Christian' holidays are just reworked Pagan ones. Of course those who read the Bible would know no where does it say to celebrate any holiday on any specific day so in effect those holidays are not really biblical even if they are 'Christian'.

Oh, no, no, not Roman, dear, but more Western-European Pagan. The cross behind Jesus' head represents the cross of the zodiac. Jesus is in the center of the cross because he is a sun deity. The sun is always in the middle of the cross, surrounded by the 12 signs of the zodiac. http://labyrinth13.com/ZVideo_6.jpg It's been theorized that Jesus is merely a metaphor of the sun, and his 12 disciples represent the 12 signs of the zodiac. But yes, Christianity incorporates many Pagan beliefs into their religious holidays. Would this mean that Christians are, in effect, hypocrites if they say Paganism is "evil" and "bad" when they celebrate their ancient religions and incorporate their beliefs into their everyday lives?

I would just say they are being misguided and not going purely by their Bible. If their hearts are in the right place it is of no consequence. If you know better do better is my theory but do not fault those who know less (this would apply to Wiccans looking down on those who have seen the Craft one too many times).

Also the citizens of the Roman empire had many different beliefs, including Western-European Pagan beliefs, though many more were of Eastern origin, but I indeed may have not stated clearly that I meant they incorporated those many different beliefs that were held by those in the empire at the time and not just the ones considered as Roman mythology today. I have encountered the theory of the Zodiac and its symbolism and how many other Pagan elements might have been amalgamated within 'Christianity' and even the Bible. While I have no doubt that the first part is true, since many practice 'Christianity' from an organizational approach and what they are told are the rules, many of those sprung from Catholicism, but once you remove the organization what is left is the purity of the Spirit which graces the pages of scripture.

Edited by Clovis

I saw your pic..and you do look Jewish...(not trying to be funny) just saying

I do fit many "Jewish" stereotypes. However, they are misplaced. I have Germanic, Polish/Slovak features. Which have been associated with being "Jewish" for half a century. But there is not really a "Jewish look". My best Jewish friend is Puerto Rican.

I knew a Shephardic Jew from D.F. (Mexico City) and she claimed that they have the biggest population of Jews outside of Israel. She looked nothing like Ashkenazi Jews but for some reason they all have a similar looking nose...I hope that does not come off as derogatory. She was quite attractive BTW

I knew a Shephardic Jew from D.F. (Mexico City) and she claimed that they have the biggest population of Jews outside of Israel. She looked nothing like Ashkenazi Jews but for some reason they all have a similar looking nose...I hope that does not come off as derogatory. She was quite attractive BTW

I'm not sure if it's the largest. I thought NY or LA. Possible though. Lots of Mexican Jews. I don't know, I have a big nose. People always think it's a Jewish thing. But it's a Slovak thing. There was actually a scientific study done(I remember reading when an adherant to Judaism) that the most common nose ammong Jews is the "Greek" nose. A lot of the Jewsh stereotypes come from the Nazi Party. And thus, Polish/German looks that were considered undesireable are now considered "Jewish", cus of Hitler. But those were just the Jews that he was exposed to.

And there are still some out there who ignorantly think "Jew" is a race.

Well, of course they aren't favored by Jews! hahaha.

Kind of like Quakers, Mormons, and JW's aren't favored by Christians... doesn't make them not "real" Christians.

MissMelsWell, Quakers, Mormons and JW's are Christians, are they not? I mean, they are not Catholic, sure. And they may not be Protestant. But not all denomination are. Just most. But Jews are not Christians. Jewish is a designation of a socio-relgious group. That's why it is possible to have "secular Jews". You cannot have a "secular Buddhist" or "Secular Christian". Though some people speak this way. It is incorrect. So one may be a "secular Jew" and a Christian at the same time. That just means you in some way are devoted to the teachings of Christ, and like gefilte fish and borscht . However, to say that one is a "Messianic Jew", implies that you are still a religious Jew, and a Christian at the same time. Which is impossible. It would be as silly as saying "I am a Christian Californian". Or "I'm a Christian American". One's culture should not be mixed with their religious designation. It is not relavant. And if it is an ill attempt at mixing religions, which are contradictory, it is like saying "I'm a Messianic Hindu" or "I'm a Messianic Buddhist".

Well do not Messianics practice traditional Jewish laws down to the tee? Does it just make them big posers because they accept Christ as the Messiah?

And come to think of it her nose was more of the Roman, aquiline, with a small bump or curve on the ridge.

Well do not Messianics practice traditional Jewish laws down to the tee? Does it just make them big posers because they accept Christ as the Messiah?

And come to think of it her nose was more of the Roman, aquiline, with a small bump or curve on the ridge.

That's the thing. There is no clear definition of what a "Messianic Jew" is. Infact, many I met are just Christians that want some Jewish culture, and are in no way related to Judaism. Some Messianics are just regular Christians, that are former Jews. Some do some of the holidays. Very few practice traditional Jewish Law to a tee." And even the ones who do practice Jewish Law strictly, does this not conflict with Christian beliefs? Like for instance. Circumcision is required. Didn't they already have an argument over that in the early church? And, Jews do not have any care or need for salvation. So doesn't that kinda make the whole Jesus thing to moot? I mean, I think Jesus is cool, and I really don't worry about "salvation". But I'm just not seeing how the two religions can both work together.

BTW- I used to lead a "Messianic congregation". I didn't found it. Just volunteered to do it. So I have some personal experience with the movement. However, I have also studied with other versions of "Messianic Judaism", and there are very different groups out there. You see how Protestants get confused as to which OT Laws to follow? If any. Well, the situation is a hundred time worse in the Messianic movement. Even though they often claim "we don't follow Torah because we have to. Yeshua liberated us from that. We follow Torah because we want to." I don't care if people want to mix ideas. That is usually a good thing, IMO. However, this movement seems to be making things worse for themselves, not better. I don't know....

With all the different denominations of Christianty out there how can anyone be sure that they are following the right one?

The Catholics do not believe in Satan the Christians do but they do not pray to Mary. The Jews believe that Jesus has not even come yet & that we're all wrong. The list goes on from there so what makes your denominations right?

You are right in what ever you believe.

What's right for one is not right for another. My religion is unconditional love, I know this religion or way of life is not for everyone, but then again not all spirits were born at the same time, and we all learn at diferent speeds.

So to answer your question, You are right (Aimed at every one reading this) Just not right enough to condemn someone else for Their beliefs..

Unless That is what your belief intails (Judging others) and then you are still right, and will learn from This belief.

IMO Thats why we are here, To experience Our eternal Spirit, and learn a thing or two about a thing or two.

Eternal does not mean everything after this life, but That one has lived before.

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

Everyone should follow their own path and compare notes with those who are doing the same.

If only people would do just that ...

I do fit many "Jewish" stereotypes. However, they are misplaced. I have Germanic, Polish/Slovak features. Which have been associated with being "Jewish" for half a century. But there is not really a "Jewish look". My best Jewish friend is Puerto Rican.

Well you look Jewi****hats all I was saying..lots say I look irish lol I say..its no biggie!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

MissMelsWell, Quakers, Mormons and JW's are Christians, are they not? I mean, they are not Catholic, sure. And they may not be Protestant.

Christian = follower of christ...and so they are just that..but Quakers arent ref to christians as such...they are known as - Friends Of The Christian Church

Although Quakers throughout most of their history and in most parts of the world today consider Quakerism to be a Christian movement, some Friends (principally in some Meetings in the United States and the United Kingdom) now consider themselves universalist, agnostic, atheist, realist, humanist, postchristian, or nontheist, or do not accept any religious label. Calls for Quakerism to include non-Christians go back at least as far as 1870, but this phenomenon has become increasingly evident during the latter half of the 20th century and the opening years of the 21st century, and is still controversial among Friends. An especially notable example of this is that of Friends who actively identify as a members of a faith other than Christian, such as Islam or Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Society_of_Friends

Well you look Jewi****hats all I was saying..lots say I look irish lol I say..its no biggie!!
Well, you can look Irish. But Jewish doesn't look like anything. It would be like me saying "you look Hindu".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Society_of_Friends

Although Quakers throughout most of their history and in most parts of the world today consider Quakerism to be a Christian movement, some Friends (principally in some Meetings in the United States and the United Kingdom) now consider themselves universalist, agnostic, atheist, realist, humanist, postchristian, or nontheist, or do not accept any religious label. Calls for Quakerism to include non-Christians go back at least as far as 1870, but this phenomenon has become increasingly evident during the latter half of the 20th century and the opening years of the 21st century, and is still controversial among Friends. An especially notable example of this is that of Friends who actively identify as a members of a faith other than Christian, such as Islam or Buddhism.

I've read about this before and found it interesting. MissMellsWell?

Well, you can look Irish. But Jewish doesn't look like anything. It would be like me saying "you look Hindu".

Ive seen a number of Jewish men and all look really similar...very much alike...IMO and I dont see anyhting wrong with thinking so many can look similar

Edited by Beckys_Mom