Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ATLANTIS FOUND (By Me) In The SAHARA

The Puzzler

For the past few weeks and months I have been obsessed by Atlantis. I always thought it existed but then changed my mind and felt it was all part of Plato's mind. But in studying through Plato's work lately I can see that some of his work would be based in history. I think he has definitely used some real historic geography and the tale that Solon heard from the Egyptian priests was indeed a true tale. I have my own theory on the whole story Plato is telling in relation to virtue and finding wisdom and how he relates it in Timaeus and Critias but in doing so have stumbled upon what I believe to be the Atlantis he speaks of as described in Timaeus and Critias. The Green Sahara topic here bought me to this conclusion.

Let's look at this part: (from Plato's Timeaus)

In this mountain there dwelt one of the earth born primeval men of that country, whose name was Evenor, and he had a wife named Leucippe, and they had an only daughter who was called Cleito. The maiden had already reached womanhood, when her father and mother died; Poseidon fell in love with her and had intercourse with her, and breaking the ground, inclosed the hill in which she dwelt all round, making alternate zones of sea and land larger and smaller, encircling one another; there were two of land and three of water, which he turned as with a lathe, each having its circumference equidistant every way from the centre, so that no man could get to the island, for ships and voyages were not as yet.

This always intrigued me, try and draw a centre hill and then enclose it with 2 circles of land and 3 of water - you can't - unless the last water one has land around it.

I know that the Sahara has been wet, more precisely a shallow ocean, called the Triton Sea. You can read all about it by Herodotus, who we also know Plato had read. As well as the rock art found in the mountains of Tassili, some dated 5000BC.

It was an ocean when sea levels rose and through Gabes the sea went over the Sahara, leaving the Atlas mountains exposed and some other high land, Tassili for one, as it fluctuated some areas were exposed as plains and then may have been covered again, this occuring until a climate change started drying out the Sahara. The sea went over the Sahara and came out where the land is at sea level, which happens to be the west coast of Mauritania. Look at an atlas, you can how this would be. Gabes is in Tunisia.

So this is the scenario 6000-10,000 years ago. Now let's look in there for Atlantis.

"All these and their descendants for many generations were the inhabitants and rulers of divers islands in the open sea; and also, as has been already said, they held sway in our direction over the country within the Pillars as far as Egypt and Tyrrhenia. (actually says in Europe in another version so this is not Tyrrenia Sea area, I believe this is in Spain.)

Leaving the palace and passing out across the three you came to a wall which began at the sea and went all round: this was everywhere distant fifty stadia from the largest zone or harbour, and enclosed the whole, the ends meeting at the mouth of the channel which led to the sea. The entire area was densely crowded with habitations; and the canal and the largest of the harbours were full of vessels and merchants coming from all parts, who, from their numbers, kept up a multitudinous sound of human voices, and din and clatter of all sorts night and day."

It says: Passing out across the three you came to a wall which went all around. This explains my conundrum before - the 3rd ring of water had to be surrounded by land. Which it is. The island is in an area that is part sea and part land. The ends meeting at the mouth of the channel which led to the sea. Look at the attached photo and you can see how the rock surrounded the rings which is the land I speak of surrounding the 3rd ring and you can see the channel that goes off to the Atlantic. When this was a channel and trading was going, but earlier when Poseidon has only made the hill and rings no one can through because their is no voyages yet. It is only after the generations of children that Poseidon and Cleitio have does trading start, so that accounts for that. When Poseidon was given the land it was when the Greek gods him, Zeus and Hades were given their lots. The land was then inhabitable by humans some time after that. Solon only knows up until the 'first man' Phroneus and the deluge - this is before that. (Between creation and Noah) An inundation before Noah would have been the sea rising so much it caused the Black Sea to become a sea instead of a lake. You have to imagine water in between the rings so only the tops of the rings are showing, the land.

I have heaps more to add to this with numerous links that will show that this is the answer. The idea of Atlantis being in the Sahara is not new but what is new is that this structure has only been seen in recent times due to satellite photographs. It can be no where else. This people, is Atlantis. The Richat Structure in Mauritania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richat_Structure

The Richat Structure, a prominent circular feature in the Sahara desert of Mauritania near Ouadane, has attracted attention since the earliest space missions because it forms a conspicuous bull's-eye in the otherwise rather featureless expanse of the desert. Described by some as looking like an outsized ammonite in the desert, the structure, which has a diameter of almost 50 kilometres (30 miles), has become a landmark for space shuttle crews. Initially interpreted as a meteorite impact structure because of its high degree of circularity, it is now thought to be a symmetrical uplift (circular anticline or dome) that has been laid bare by erosion. Paleozoic quartzites form the resistant beds outline the structure.

Keep in mind this: http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arc...50407richat.htm In the case of the Richat Structure, it is evident that the force uplifting the area also cut the concentric crater walls. In crater formation, the electrical forces constrain the arc to contact the surface at a 90-degree angle. Because the arc typically consists of one or more pairs of channels rotating around a common axis, a stationary arc will etch a circular crater and, in stratified terrain, will machine out concentric circles.

Plato mentioned how they are natural but look to have been cut by a lathe.

http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=396&am...p;t=k&hl=en

That's a Google Earth sightseeing pic that you zoom in and out of, you can see clearly the concentric rings making up a centre and then 2 of land and 3 of water then surrounded by the land and the channel that goes all the way to the sea.

Now the guys in this expedition just need me to show them where to look:

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/395915

Think about it. This will do for an opening post.

" As for those genealogies of yours which you just now recounted to us, Solon, they are no better than the tales of children. In the first place you remember a single deluge only, but there were many previous ones; in the next place, you do not know that there formerly dwelt in your land the fairest and noblest race of men which ever lived, and that you and your whole city are descended from a small seed or remnant of them which survived. And this was unknown to you, because, for many generations, the survivors of that destruction died, leaving no written word. For there was a time, Solon, before the great deluge of all, when the city which now is Athens was first in war and in every way the best governed of all cities, is said to have performed the noblest deeds and to have had the fairest constitution of any of which tradition tells, under the face of heaven."

post-50813-1209101956_thumb.jpg

Edited by weareallsuckers

Considering Platos own description where atlantis was it had to been far away from Africa, and I'm still sure he was talking about Latin Americas as that's basically the only place that really fits. Lotsa other evidence supports this as well.

For more on my theory on that check my site http://atlantis.onestop.net

Considering Platos own description where atlantis was it had to been far away from Africa, and I'm still sure he was talking about Latin Americas as that's basically the only place that really fits. Lotsa other evidence supports this as well.

No, Plato is describing Africa:

"Many great and wonderful deeds are recorded of your state in our histories. But one of them exceeds all the rest in greatness and valour. For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent."

"Came forth out of the Atlantic", they would have if the headed up to the Mediterranean from Mauritania. By going through the Triton Sea you could navigate into the Atlantic. So, if you came up from Mauritania you would come from the direction of the Atlantic.

There was an island in front of the Strait, do we know front meant of the west of it. Front to an Egyptian could be toward Egypt, so in a south easterly direction of the straits.

Larger than Libya and Asia put together.

Libya was North Africa and Asia was Asia Minor, not overly big but easily as big as the area of the Sahara.

"and was the way to the other islands": islands would be everywhere in an inland sea with the mountains rising out of the sea where they are and higher land also being islands.

"and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean;"

you would pass through this area of islands in the inland sea to the rest of the African continent. Sub Sahara and south of it. Opposite of the Sahara would be the sub Sahara looking west from Egypt.

"for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent."

The surrounding land is the surrounding land around Egypt which would be Africa, the rest of it, all south from sub Sahara, a boundless continent.

If you look at the scene as I have presented it with the Triton Sea in the Sahara it doesn't say anything about being in the Atlantic actually.

In this reconstruction of the ecumene of Herodotus, you can see that they had no knowledge of the Americas of that time (which weren't latin then).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Herodot...orld_map-en.svg

In this reconstruction of the ecumene of Herodotus, you can see that they had no knowledge of the Americas of that time (which weren't latin then).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Herodot...orld_map-en.svg

True, also Plato did not believe even Herodotus that a man sailed around Africa, (Libya) let alone made it over to another continent.

No, Plato is describing Africa:

"Many great and wonderful deeds are recorded of your state in our histories. But one of them exceeds all the rest in greatness and valour. For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent."

"Came forth out of the Atlantic", they would have if the headed up to the Mediterranean from Mauritania. By going through the Triton Sea you could navigate into the Atlantic. So, if you came up from Mauritania you would come from the direction of the Atlantic.

There was an island in front of the Strait, do we know front meant of the west of it. Front to an Egyptian could be toward Egypt, so in a south easterly direction of the straits.

Larger than Libya and Asia put together.

Libya was North Africa and Asia was Asia Minor, not overly big but easily as big as the area of the Sahara.

"and was the way to the other islands": islands would be everywhere in an inland sea with the mountains rising out of the sea where they are and higher land also being islands.

"and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean;"

you would pass through this area of islands in the inland sea to the rest of the African continent. Sub Sahara and south of it. Opposite of the Sahara would be the sub Sahara looking west from Egypt.

"for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent."

The surrounding land is the surrounding land around Egypt which would be Africa, the rest of it, all south from sub Sahara, a boundless continent.

If you look at the scene as I have presented it with the Triton Sea in the Sahara it doesn't say anything about being in the Atlantic actually.

Hi WAAS,

Cards on the table..... as you know I do not believe that Atlantis is anything other than a good story, told by a Master Craftman of that trade.

But... I do like to read ideas and theories surrounding the legend.

You have made a very good case for your interpretation of Timaeus and Critias and I applaud you for that. This is the first time that I have read of the link with the “Eye of Africa” and the local artefact evidence shows a long period of human habitation at this site. The geological structure is very compelling and if indeed there was a Triton Sea that filled the area then I would accept that this was the basis for the legend, relocated beyond the Pillars of Hercules in the re-telling.

Certainly the idea that he was talking of South America is complete nonsense, and completely unnecessary as a foundation for the legend itself.

I am going to do some research at the USGS and BGS, and if I get time will visit the Spanish Geological Survey records office in Madrid to see if it is possible to verify that the “Eye of Africa” would have been surrounded by water. It will be fascinating to find out whether your theory holds “water” (forgive the pun).

Here is a link that is similar to your theory.... but the detail differs

LINK

Thanks for your support.

I also think that most of Critias was not factual, I do think however he has placed the Atlanteans in a true geographical area that was a civilisation capable of everything he says. I personally think the tale of the war is a tale of good vs evil and is actually Solon's life story into a war but that's another topic I have. So in essence I don't think Atlantis was as real as he wrote but real enough to base the beginning of his tale on.

Similar to your link is this one:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=prq6yk...hl=en#PPA172,M1

This should be page 172, you can see how there is an explanation via an Arab that can also link the Greeks with the Egyptians and the Dravidians. I was trying to find out where there was info on this part as Plato mentions this. That the Egyptians and Greeks have the same ancestry.

It also puts into perspective my idea but without the Richat Structure mentioned.

Hi WAAS,

Cards on the table..... as you know I do not believe that Atlantis is anything other than a good story, told by a Master Craftman of that trade.

But... I do like to read ideas and theories surrounding the legend.

You have made a very good case for your interpretation of Timaeus and Critias and I applaud you for that. This is the first time that I have read of the link with the “Eye of Africa” and the local artefact evidence shows a long period of human habitation at this site. The geological structure is very compelling and if indeed there was a Triton Sea that filled the area then I would accept that this was the basis for the legend, relocated beyond the Pillars of Hercules in the re-telling.

Certainly the idea that he was talking of South America is complete nonsense, and completely unnecessary as a foundation for the legend itself.

I am going to do some research at the USGS and BGS, and if I get time will visit the Spanish Geological Survey records office in Madrid to see if it is possible to verify that the “Eye of Africa” would have been surrounded by water. It will be fascinating to find out whether your theory holds “water” (forgive the pun).

Thanks for that, that would be interesting to find out. Appears it was since the rock art is showing signs of it but it would be good to have some sort of official answer.

My Blog: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...d=1637&st=0

This is more difficult than i expected. On-line research is not giving me much info.

Obviously the limestone and karst is conclusive of sub-sea immersion, it's the timescales that are giving me the greatest trouble.

Oh well, back to research, I think the Madrid office is open tomorrow , if so then I will get myself down there and quiz their record-keepers.

Thanks WAAS, this is going to be a very interesting investigation. Will post more as I discover more.

PS. I have logged date and time of your theory as posted here, just in case anybody runs off to Discovery channel with your idea claiming it as their own!!

Edited by keithisco

This is more difficult than i expected. On-line research is not giving me much info.

Obviously the limestone and karst is conclusive of sub-sea immersion, it's the timescales that are giving me the greatest trouble.

Oh well, back to research, I think the Madrid office is open tomorrow , if so then I will get myself down there and quiz their record-keepers.

Thanks WAAS, this is going to be a very interesting investigation. Will post more as I discover more.

Thanks!

The timescale is a bit of a problem, but I believe it would have had to have been between 10,000BC and 3000BC. The Sahara dried up completely c. 3000BC and pre 10,000BC would be too early in the cases of human history and Plato.

Most info on rising sea levels on the internet are very inconsistent. The rising of the Med. into the Black Sea at 5000BC is a time that I think would be suitable.

This very old Chinese map of Africa shows something that may correlate:

linked-image

The "lake" in the center is probably just an over exaggeration, but the round thing in the middle of it is interesting. Not a perfect match, but interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Moonie2012

PS. I have logged date and time of your theory as posted here, just in case anybody runs off to Discovery channel with your idea claiming it as their own!!

Thats Keith!! I was a bit worried about that myself. lol :tu:

This very old Chinese map of Africa shows something that may correlate:

linked-image

The "lake" in the center is probably just an over exaggeration, but the round thing in the middle of it is interesting. Not a perfect match, but interesting nonetheless.

WOW. That is good. That map fits great since if you look at old maps from Herodotus you can see that the end of the Arabian Peninsula is in line with what they knew to be the bottom of Africa. Thanks for that! And look at that circle.........

Supposedly it was created in 1389 and copied from an older rock carving...here's more about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2446907.stm

For the record, I'm skeptical that that's Atlantis, but sometimes the best way to hide something is to put it right out in the open.

Edited by Moonie2012

:tu: you could be on to something here!!!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1195560/posts

RABAT (Reuters) - The remains of a prehistoric town believed to date back 15,000 years and belong to an ancient Berber civilization have been discovered in Western Sahara, Moroccan state media said on Thursday. A team of Moroccan scientists stumbled across the sand-covered ruins of the town Arghilas deep in the desert of the Morocco-administered territory.

The remains of a place of worship, houses and a necropolis, as well as columns and rock engravings depicting animals, were found at the site near the town of Aousserd in northeastern Western Sahara.

The isolated area is known to be rich in prehistoric rock engravings but experts said the discovery could be significant if proven that the ruins were of Berber origin as this civilization is believed to date back only some 9,000 years.

"It appears that scientists have come up with the 15,000-years estimate judging by the style of the engravings and the theme of the drawings," Mustapha Ouachi, a Rabat-based Berber historian, told Reuters.

http://www.andantetravels.co.uk/default.cfm/tour.239

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...howtopic=108946

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000849.html

One of the most ancient civilizations on earth began in the Sahara before the existance of Atlantis. According to sources, the Zingh Empire existed about 20,000 to 15,000 years ago and is the parent of Egypt, TaSeti, Nubia, Kush, Wagadu-Nok, East Indian Civilization and others.

The Sahara and much of West and East Africa in protohistoric times was wet, rainy, very green and had a giant inland sea. On this sea, ships sailed and moved from place to place selling goods and trading. The region also had large areas of fertile lands where villages, towns and cities existed.

According to many sources (Blisshords Communications, Zingh Empire, "Mobetter News," The History of the African Standard, South Holland, Illinois.), the Zingh Empire was the first culture to build an international empire from West Africa to the Middle East (Syria, Turkey, ect.). The Zingh Empire also established the red, black and green flag (which is still the colors of African and some Middle Eastern nations).

The Zingh Empire was the parent civilization on earth and it was from the Zingh Empire and the Sahara itself that the earliest forms of culture and language spread from the Sahara to India, East Asia, Australia, the South Pacific, the Americas. In fact, years ago historians from Africa pointed out that groups from the Sahara migrated to the Americas and that some American Indian groups are related to Africans of the Sahara.

Language and advanced culture also came out of the Zingh Empire and so did tools like the..

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemD...ookid~7283.aspx

Swimming in the Sahara

The world's largest desert was once a green Eden. One day it will be again

linked-image

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/oct/sahar...savanna-climate

Hi Crystal Sage........thanks for the links. Dig deep, I'm sure you will find some more. I will particularly look more into the 15,000 year old Moroccan ruins.

As the sea dried up the outlets to the Atlantic would have been last to go imo, the currents out of these was strong. Possibly the Olmecs travelled from the currents to South America before 3000BC when the Sahara became totally desert. You know I am a great believer in ancient sea travel, does add up.

Keithisco: The pic CS has showed of the swimming in Sahara, the accompanying article states from 10,500 to 5,500 years ago the Sahara would be able to have people swimming in it.

Also the Richat Structure has been eroded - erosion could only come from water generally, so possibly the middle was domed rather than flat at one point. Just to correlate the hill in the middle of the rings.

.....and let's not forget mention of elephants from Plato.

Atlantis, btw, was not some super advanced civilisation, it was more advance from trading with gold palaces, but this is underlying to Plato's comparison of a virtuous Athens who did not use or need gold to one (Atlantis)that used it in abundance highlighting his allegory for extravagence and indulgence to virtuous and humbleness and how virtue will win over indulgence. See Croesus story.

I have nothing to contribute but this is an excellent thread.

Cool Mr Nobody, glad you are enjoying it. :tu:

I have nothing to contribute but this is an excellent thread.

I second that and I'm proud of you my cool aussie chicky babe.....You go girl...... :tu::wub:

This is a very interesting thread!

I saw the topic name and went "urrrgh not another one!", but was pleasantly suprised!

Im currently doing a module on Atlantis and Utopias at University and am finding it really interesting. I bet my lecturer would be interested in this!

This is a very interesting thread!

I saw the topic name and went "urrrgh not another one!", but was pleasantly suprised!

Im currently doing a module on Atlantis and Utopias at University and am finding it really interesting. I bet my lecturer would be interested in this!

Great, thanks. I purposely kept the big suprise of Richat out until the end of my post....hehe

Now: OK, so where's the flood? The sinking of Atlantis, some of you are thinking.....(and I'm sure your lecturer will ask..)

well, there is no flood or sinking of Atlantis. I do think at the time of the Black Sea flooding it would have risen the sea water possibly sufficient enough to cover the Richat Structure, which may be then factual that 'Atlantis' did in fact sink. Also Plato mentions how Solon is told that basically Greece is just a skeleton and there has been inundations previously, enough to leave just the rock outcrop of the Acropolis and to wash away alot of Grece's ancient mainland. So I think flooding happened but I don't think that the sinking of Atlantis occurred as it is told.

Let's look at this last paragraph of Critias:

Such was the vast power which the god settled in the lost island of Atlantis; and this he afterwards directed against our land for the following reasons, as tradition tells: For many generations, as long as the divine nature lasted in them, they were obedient to the laws, and well-affectioned towards the god, whose seed they were; for they possessed true and in every way great spirits, uniting gentleness with wisdom in the various chances of life, and in their intercourse with one another. They despised everything but virtue, caring little for their present state of life, and thinking lightly of the possession of gold and other property, which seemed only a burden to them; neither were they intoxicated by luxury; nor did wealth deprive them of their self-control; but they were sober, and saw clearly that all these goods are increased by virtue and friendship with one another, whereas by too great regard and respect for them, they are lost and friendship with them. By such reflections and by the continuance in them of a divine nature, the qualities which we have described grew and increased among them; but when the divine portion began to fade away, and became diluted too often and too much with the mortal admixture, and the human nature got the upper hand, they then, being unable to bear their fortune, behaved unseemly, and to him who had an eye to see grew visibly debased, for they were losing the fairest of their precious gifts; but to those who had no eye to see the true happiness, they appeared glorious and blessed at the very time when they were full of avarice and unrighteous power. Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve, collected all the gods into their most holy habitation, which, being placed in the centre of the world, beholds all created things. And when he had called them together, he spake as follows: (end)

You may note in the texts that their is no war played out, but Athens gets glory for saving everyone from slavery (bit like Moses) inside the Pillars. Plato writes: "this war I am going to describe." but no actual war is described. The war is the telling of the ways of each civilisation.

The answer is the story of the Bible. (Old Testament) The allegory Plato has used is to denote that the Athenians became immoral, full of avarice but could not see it themselves. Now what happens when the people get immoral in the Bible? God punishes them with a flood.

The end of the above paragraph says:

Zeus, the god of gods, who rules according to law, and is able to see into such things, perceiving that an honourable race was in a woeful plight, and wanting to inflict punishment on them, that they might be chastened and improve....

We can see that Atlantis coming and the consequent flood was Gods punishment to the Athenians.

Plato was very into the idea of one god and the Pentateuch. (Old Testment). The Monad.

So there is no need to find a flood in the Sahara, just the basis for Atlantis, geographic in details (since he himself tells it as being fact) to start the story off.

PS: Huge inundations would have been present with the weather patterns during a wet Sahara, being more humid. I live where we have wet and dry - it can rain for months. It's in the tropics, as the Sahara is.

On Mt Etna: Research published in 2006 suggests that this occurred around 6000 BC, and caused a huge tsunami which left its mark in several places in the eastern Mediterranean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Etna

We only have to look at a map again to see how close Sicily is to Gabes in Tunisia. I believe that the 6000BC eruption closed off the sea entrance at Gabes with the 'shoal of mud' Plato mentions.

Also earthquakes have ravaged Greece over time with the Anatolian Plate being responsible for that so earthquakes and tsunamis would have been familiar to Plato and they can explain the loss of much of the Greek coastline. I am not aware of an exact earthquake to fit into Plato's story but once again, I think the earthquake and subsequent loss of all Athens warlike men in a body and the sinking of Atlantis is allegory.

Waas,

You disappoint me so!

You are certainly looking for something that never existed. Mark my words.

Besides, did I read where you wrote that the so - called "sea" in the Sahara would have been navigable? Pardon me, but no sea existed there alongside any human occupation, as far as I'm (or you are) aware.

The water that existed during the Holocne when the referenced carvings were made was fresh. The dried lakebeds are still there today. In fact, the entire Sahara is dotted with dried lake beds. It is known that the Sahara once experienced monsoons.

No way you could have sailed from the Med. into one of these lakes.

For future reference: The Geoarchaeology of the Western Sahara Desert.

Harte