Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does earth's magnetic field cause suicides?

Ignus Fatuus

I was looking for some information that I had read before this morning on the earth's geomagnetic field when I came across a new article from NewScientiest.com. According to the article, Oleg Shumilov of the Institute of North Industrial Ecology Problems in Russia says that he has looked at activity in the Earth's geomagnetic field from 1948 to 1997 and found that it grouped into three seasonal peaks every year: one from march to may, another in July and the lst in October. Suprisingly he stated that the peaks matched up with the peaks in the number of suicides in Northern Russia over the same period. He stated that the correlation does not necessarily mean a causal link but points out that several other studies have suggested the same thing. For example a 2006 review of research on cardiovascular health in the geomagnetic field in the Surveys in Geophysics concluded that a link was possible and the effects were more pronounced at higher altitiudes. The reviews author stated that geomagnetic health probles affect 10 to 15 percent of the population. Psychiatrists too have noticed a correlation between geomagnetic activity and suicide rates. A review of 13 years in South Africa produced data on suicides and geomagnetic storms and in 1994 a study was published suggesting a 36.2 percent increase in the number of men admitted into hospitals for depression in the second week after geomagnetic storms. Even though scientists do not fully understand the link between these two, the theory that has risen to the top for the association is that geomagnetic storms can desynchronise circadian rhythms and melatonin production(makes sense) says Kelly Posner who is a psychiatrist at Columbia University.

A few months ago I wrote a post on the correlation of geopathic stress and cancer. Since then I have found reports saying that geopathic stress can cause "cancer" in trees and plants, as well as the humans that I first reported on. Looking at all of the available information, I am finding it hard to believe that these earthly and heavinly stresses do not have more to do with our healths as a human race than many people seem to imagine. I say look out for an outflow of information in these scientific fields in the near future.

Find this article at:

www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn13769&print=true

Edited by bogcreeper

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wombat

• Ignus Fatuus

• ai_guardian

• Mr.Dot

I know to use a sunlamp for too much darkness, but what would people use do you think for magnetic induced depression? First thing that popped into my head were those pyramids people built back in the 70s to sleep in, but I doubt those would do any good.

What do you think might help them?

I know to use a sunlamp for too much darkness, but what would people use do you think for magnetic induced depression? First thing that popped into my head were those pyramids people built back in the 70s to sleep in, but I doubt those would do any good.

I have not a clue. Stupid logic concludes me to say that since in theory and with conclusive evidence from many people around the earth and my grandmother that since copper braclets protect against arthritis from geopathic stress that maybe using a similar technique would help. Maybe setting magnets at certain points on the body could "like the braclets and geopathic stress" interfere with the geomagnetic interference. Beats getting drugged...

Ah, like putting copper wires into structures to block wireless hacking.

Good idea.

Is there any evidence or theory on what causes the seasonal variations in electromagnetic fields?

Do you know if this is directly related to "ley lines" or if it affects their placement or intensity?

Sounds extremely dubious. You can find correlations between almost any two things, but it does not imply causality.

Also, there is no mechanism by which magnetism can affect humans, as far as I know.

Sunlamps make the skin produce vitamin D. It is not comparable to magnetism. And of course, you are baselessly assuming that magnetism does have some effect.

Edited by Wombat

bogcreeper.... good post... I believe the earths (and sun) electromagnetic fields 'directly' affecting our moods and 'anything' that has an electric current/field ~ such as the human body, all our technology (from atm's to our living room lamp).... ever read Gregg Braden's work?

bogcreeper.... good post... I believe the earths (and sun) electromagnetic fields 'directly' affecting our moods and 'anything' that has an electric current/field ~ such as the human body, all our technology (from atm's to our living room lamp).... ever read Gregg Braden's work?

Why do you believe that?

Interesting, It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. After all, external influences is the reason we are who we are, and are what we are, and do what we do.

ok heres my thought about this topic

i have read somewhere that humans contains electricity, don't know how strong/weak it is

but if we do really contain electricity then magnets might have affect us in some way

as everyone knows magnets and electricity has something to do with each other

well just waiting for some thoughts

but keeping an open mind

Have not read it, guarantee that I will

Interesting, It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. After all, external influences is the reason we are who we are, and are what we are, and do what we do.

It's a good hypothesis - with a major problem. We'd never be able to test it in a lab. You'd need to shield a control group from earth's B field for extended periods of time. We just can't pull that off.

That doesn't make any sense logically. Just because some other things influence our lives doesn't mean that magnetism does.

ok heres my thought about this topic

i have read somewhere that humans contains electricity, don't know how strong/weak it is

but if we do really contain electricity then magnets might have affect us in some way

as everyone knows magnets and electricity has something to do with each other

well just waiting for some thoughts

but keeping an open mind

The net electrical charge of humans is zero. And it wouldn't even matter if it was more than that, because magnetism would not affect it. This is an argument from ignorance from your part.

Edited by Wombat

That doesn't make any sense logically. Just because some other things influence our lives doesn't mean that magnetism does.

The net electrical charge of humans is zero. And it wouldn't even matter if it was more than that, because magnetism would not affect it. This is an argument from ignorance from your part.

Easy on the negativity bud. I have found that a lot of people on this board, close their minds if the science is not measurable. Notable scientists argue in the same way as both Einstein and other greats have been beat around for their theories, only to have them proven later. As far as the science goes, the greatest step in making a point valid is to find correlations that prove it's validity. Depression correlating with this geomagnetism may not be scientifically proven in the near future, but correlations are not a farce and few correlations are found to be non valid.

I didn't say magnetism does affect us, I said that I find this article Interesting and would not be surprised if it did. Im not trying to prove something here.

Your very offensive in this forum Wombat. But I guess thats just who you are.

Edited by Mr.Dot

Looking at all of the available information, I am finding it hard to believe that these earthly and heavinly stresses do not have more to do with our healths as a human race than many people seem to imagine. I say look out for an outflow of information in these scientific fields in the near future.Find this article at:

www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn13769&print=true

A very interesting OP, Bogcreeper. :tu: I will have to check out your other thread about geopathic stress.

I think you nailed it when you said "look out for an outflow of information in these scientific fields in the near future." The near future is upon us with regard to natural and man-made energy fields. There have been numerous studies done to date. The geomagnetic field has been difficult to study because it's always fluctuating, as seen in graph below.

linked-image

3 of many studies archived at PubMed.Gov:

We studied the relation between the intensity of cosmic rays, the level of solar/geomagnetic activity, and the monthly numbers of deaths in a large hospital in Israel and in all Lithuania. The Israeli data include 30526 hospital deaths, two groups of fatal suicides (2359, 2763), and 15435 suicidal attempts for two periods of 108 and 236 consecutive months. The national data for the entire Republic of Lithuania include 424925 deaths for the period of 120 consecutive months. Cosmic rays intensity was measured by an Apatity neutron monitor. We obtained the data on solar, geomagnetic radiovawe propagation, ionosphere ionization hours, proton flux of two energy levels (>90 and 60 MeV) from the National Geophysical Data Center at Goddard Space Flight Center, National Space Environment Center at Boulder, Colorado, USA, and from the Institute of Terrestrial Magnetism, Ionosphere and Radio Wave Propagation (IZMIRAN), Russia. We calculated Pearson coefficients and their probabilities for correlation between monthly space activity level and monthly number of male and female deaths from different causes. Cosmic rays activity revealed significant negative correlation with solar/geomagnetic activity indices and related physical phenomena levels. This activity strongly correlated with flux of protons with the energies >90 MeV proton flux and did not exhibit significant correlation with 60 MeV proton fluxes. Cosmic rays intensity correlation with monthly numbers of deaths was strong for noncardiovascular deaths, suicides, and traffic accidents. The correlation was much weaker for deaths caused by ishemic heart disease and strokes. PMID: 12099402 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Source

Homicide and suicide are extremes in human behavior. The aim of this study is to investigate the connection by time between suicide and homicide, between them and other fatalities, and their links with the level of cosmophysical activity. METHODS: Using the national database of Lithuania (1990-2002) we found that 547,875 deaths, 4,638 homicides (3,374 male) and 19,527 (16,019 male) suicides were registered in that period. Their temporal distribution over 156 months was compared with solar and cosmic-ray activity. Pearson correlation coefficients and their probabilities were established. RESULTS: There was a correlation between monthly rates of homicide and male groups. Female suicide rates correlated with male and total homicide numbers. Both homicide and suicide rates were inversely correlated with solar and cosmic-ray activity. Suicide numbers, but not homicides, were inversely related to geomagnetic activity. Suicide rates were inversely correlated with total, cardiovascular, traffic accident, and sudden deaths; homicide with total, traffic accident, and sudden deaths. CONCLUSION: Temporal distribution of homicide and suicide is significantly interrelated. Both are linked to parameters of cosmophysical activity. The influence of cosmic rays deserves special attention. PMID: 16138745 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Source

Do ambient electromagnetic fields affect behaviour? A demonstration of the relationship between geomagnetic storm activity and suicide. Berk M, Dodd S, Henry M.

Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences-Barwon Health, University of Melbourne, Geelong, Australia.

The relationship between ambient electromagnetic fields and human mood and behaviour is of great public health interest. The relationship between Ap indices of geomagnetic storm activity and national suicide statistics for Australia from 1968 to 2002 was studied. Ap index data was normalised so as to be globally uniform and gave a measure of storm activity for each day. A geomagnetic storm event was defined as a day in which the Ap index was equal to or exceeded 100 nT. Suicide data was a national tally of daily male and female death figures where suicide had been documented as the cause of death. A total of 51 845 males and 16 327 females were included. The average number of suicides was greatest in spring for males and females, and lowest in autumn for males and summer for females. Suicide amongst females increased significantly in autumn during concurrent periods of geomagnetic storm activity (P = .01). This pattern was not observed in males (P = .16). This suggests that perturbations in ambient electromagnetic field activity impact behaviour in a clinically meaningful manner. The study furthermore raises issues regarding other sources of stray electromagnetic fields and their effect on mental health. PMID: 16304696 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source

A large number of studies have identified significant physical, biological and health effects associated with changes in Solar and Geomagnetic Activity (S-GMA). Variations in solar activity, geomagnetic activity and ionospheric ion/electron concentrations are all mutually highly correlated and strongly linked by geophysical processes. A key scientific question is, what factor is it in the natural environment that causes the observed biological and physical effects? The effects include altered blood pressure and melatonin, increased cancer, reproductive, cardiac and neurological disease and death. Many occupational studies have found that exposure to ELF fields between 16.7 Hz and 50/60 Hz significantly reduces melatonin levels. They are also associated with the same and very similar health effects as the S-GMA effects. The cell membrane has an electric field of the order of 105 V/cm. The ELF brain waves operate at about 10-1 V/cm. Fish, birds, animalsand people have been shown to respond to ELF signals that produce tissue electric gradients of ULF/ELF oscillating signals at a threshold of 10-7 to 10-8 V/cm.This involves non-linear resonant absorption of ULF/ELF oscillating signals into systems that use natural ion oscillation signals in the same frequency range. A long-lived, globally available natural ULF/ELF signal, the Schumann Resonance signal, was investigated as the possible plausible biophysical mechanism for the observedS-GMA effects. It is found that the Schumann Resonance signal is extremely highly correlated with S-GMA indices of sunspot number and the Kp index. The physical mechanism is the ionospheric D-region ion/electron density that varies with S-GMA and forms the upper boundary of the resonant cavity in which the Schumann Resonance signal is formed. This provides strong support for identifying the Schumann Resonance signals as the S-GMA biophysical mechanism, primarily through a melatonin mechanism. It strongly supports the classification of S-GMA as a natural hazard. Source

The neurons involved in emotion, thinking, memory and reaction use oscillating calcium ion and neurotransmitter signals primarily in the frequency range below 50 Hz. The human EEG shares the same frequency range as a natural ELF signal, the Schumann Resonance, that propagate around the world with a diurnal and seasonal pattern that follows the human diurnal melatonin pattern. The intensity of the Schumann Resonance signal (frequencies between 6 and 50 cycles per second, specifically 7.8, 14, 20, 26, 33, 39 and 45 Hertz), with a daily variation of about +/- 0.5 Hertz, fluxes with Geomagnetic Activity (GMA) in a highly significantly correlated manner. Many animal studies find that ELF fields reduce melatonin. In 2001, more than 13 studies showed that people exposed to ELF fields have reduced melatonin. Since melatonin and serotonin are the primary circadian endocrine hormones, all vital organs, including the brain, hypothalamus, central nervous system, lymph system, immune system, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, uterus, testes and fetus, have melatonin and serotonin receptors. Hence substances that alter the melatonin/serotonin balance can affect organs throughout the body.

I go into more detail in the links provided below. I’ve posted several studies showing the correlation of possible health risks when our bodies/brains are exposed and/or synchronize with these energy fields, both natural and man-made.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry2221530

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry2224924

Easy on the negativity bud.

It's called reality. :)

I have found that a lot of people on this board, close their minds if the science is not measurable.

What are you talking about? This is a purely falsifiable issue with a real truth value.

Notable scientists argue in the same way as both Einstein and other greats have been beat around for their theories, only to have them proven later.

They were scientific theories - real science with evidence to back them.You're making crackpot guesses based entirely on ignorance with no evidence.

As far as the science goes, the greatest step in making a point valid is to find correlations that prove it's validity.

No. Correlation does not imply causation. Correlation by itself proves nothing.

Depression correlating with this geomagnetism may not be scientifically proven in the near future, but correlations are not a farce and few correlations are found to be non valid.

Again, correlations do not imply causation. You can invent infinite correlations which do not imply causation.

I didn't say magnetism does affect us, I said that I find this article Interesting and would not be surprised if it did.

Exactly. Why would you not be surprised? Because you are assuming that magnetism would affect us.

Your very offensive in this forum Wombat. But I guess thats just who you are.

People on this forum generally hate logic.

Edited by Wombat

A large number of studies have identified significant physical, biological and health effects associated with changes in Solar and Geomagnetic Activity (S-GMA). Variations in solar activity, geomagnetic activity and ionospheric ion/electron concentrations are all mutually highly correlated and strongly linked by geophysical processes. A key scientific question is, what factor is it in the natural environment that causes the observed biological and physical effects? The effects include altered blood pressure and melatonin, increased cancer, reproductive, cardiac and neurological disease and death. Many occupational studies have found that exposure to ELF fields between 16.7 Hz and 50/60 Hz significantly reduces melatonin levels. They are also associated with the same and very similar health effects as the S-GMA effects. The cell membrane has an electric field of the order of 105 V/cm. The ELF brain waves operate at about 10-1 V/cm. Fish, birds, animalsand people have been shown to respond to ELF signals that produce tissue electric gradients of ULF/ELF oscillating signals at a threshold of 10-7 to 10-8 V/cm.This involves non-linear resonant absorption of ULF/ELF oscillating signals into systems that use natural ion oscillation signals in the same frequency range. A long-lived, globally available natural ULF/ELF signal, the Schumann Resonance signal, was investigated as the possible plausible biophysical mechanism for the observedS-GMA effects. It is found that the Schumann Resonance signal is extremely highly correlated with S-GMA indices of sunspot number and the Kp index. The physical mechanism is the ionospheric D-region ion/electron density that varies with S-GMA and forms the upper boundary of the resonant cavity in which the Schumann Resonance signal is formed. This provides strong support for identifying the Schumann Resonance signals as the S-GMA biophysical mechanism, primarily through a melatonin mechanism. It strongly supports the classification of S-GMA as a natural hazard. Source

The neurons involved in emotion, thinking, memory and reaction use oscillating calcium ion and neurotransmitter signals primarily in the frequency range below 50 Hz. The human EEG shares the same frequency range as a natural ELF signal, the Schumann Resonance, that propagate around the world with a diurnal and seasonal pattern that follows the human diurnal melatonin pattern. The intensity of the Schumann Resonance signal (frequencies between 6 and 50 cycles per second, specifically 7.8, 14, 20, 26, 33, 39 and 45 Hertz), with a daily variation of about +/- 0.5 Hertz, fluxes with Geomagnetic Activity (GMA) in a highly significantly correlated manner. Many animal studies find that ELF fields reduce melatonin. In 2001, more than 13 studies showed that people exposed to ELF fields have reduced melatonin. Since melatonin and serotonin are the primary circadian endocrine hormones, all vital organs, including the brain, hypothalamus, central nervous system, lymph system, immune system, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, uterus, testes and fetus, have melatonin and serotonin receptors. Hence substances that alter the melatonin/serotonin balance can affect organs throughout the body.

WOW ~ What a Post 'Inner Space'.... Thank you for sharing ~ The comment .... "A large number of studies have identified significant physical, biological and health effects associated with changes in Solar and Geomagnetic Activity" ....and "The human EEG shares the same frequency range as a natural ELF signal (which is scarey in the respect of all those towers going up around us), the Schumann Resonance, that propagate around the world with a diurnal and seasonal pattern that follows the human diurnal melatonin pattern." ... is right on the mark! (I think I may want to share with you an experience that I have had that would knock your socks off.... but would never post it on this forum.

A very interesting OP, Bogcreeper. :tu: I will have to check out your other thread about geopathic stress.

I think you nailed it when you said "look out for an outflow of information in these scientific fields in the near future." The near future is upon us with regard to natural and man-made energy fields. There have been numerous studies done to date. The geomagnetic field has been difficult to study because it's always fluctuating, as seen in graph below.

linked-image

3 of many studies archived at PubMed.Gov:

Source

Source

Source

I go into more detail in the links provided below. I’ve posted several studies showing the correlation of possible health risks when our bodies/brains are exposed and/or synchronize with these energy fields, both natural and man-made.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry2221530

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry2224924

thanks very much for the info and data. When I recently found this information I had no idea that there would be so much data and relating evidence to support it. Many days of study and understanding ahead of me.

thanks very much for the info and data. When I recently found this information I had no idea that there would be so much data and relating evidence to support it. Many days of study and understanding ahead of me.

If you had any critical thinking skills, you would realize that that isn't evidence. All of it relies on irrelevant correlations.

Imagine that the sun is especially active I go into a city hospital during wartime.

1) A lot of people die

2) The sun is especially active

3) Therefore, the sun causes death.

This kind of thinking is a logical fallacy called non sequitur (does not follow). 1 and 2 might well be true, but 3 isn't necessarily true. Not only do you have to look critically at the facts, but also at the conclusions derived from the facts.

Also, just because it sounds scientific, it doesn't mean that it is. That kind of trash would not stand up to peer review in any refutable scientific journal.

Edited by Wombat

It's called reality. :)

What are you talking about? This is a purely falsifiable issue with a real truth value.

They were scientific theories - real science with evidence to back them.You're making crackpot guesses based entirely on ignorance with no evidence.

No. Correlation does not imply causation. Correlation by itself proves nothing.

Again, correlations do not imply causation. You can invent infinite correlations which do not imply causation.

Correlation do not imply causations I agree, but correlations let us take the next step to finding the truth. What do you mean there is no scientific evidence? Do some research before you make judgements and your a realist. I have known "realists" who are not arrogant and speak with a better more positive manner. Who are you to tell scientists that work in their field that their judgements do not have "real" science to back them up and have no real truth value? Your not a skeptic ... skeptics keep an open mind.

Correlation do not imply causations I agree, but correlations let us take the next step to finding the truth.

No, not necessarily.

What do you mean there is no scientific evidence? Do some research before you make judgements and your a realist.

That's exactly what I mean.

I have known "realists" who are not arrogant and speak with a better more positive manner.

So what?

Who are you to tell scientists that work in their field that their judgements do not have "real" science to back them up and have no real truth value?

What does it matter who I am? If someone says that 1+1=3, they are wrong, reguardless of who they are or who I am.

Your not a skeptic ... skeptics keep an open mind.

I have an open mind. Unlike you, I attempt to follow evidence, logic and reason to find out the truth. Being close minded is to accept things unquestioningly for personal reasons. That's what you are doing.

And even if I did have a closed mind, what would it matter? 1+1=3 is still wrong, no matter how closed my mind is (it isn't).

No, not necessarily.

That's exactly what I mean.

So what?

What does it matter who I am? If someone says that 1+1=3, they are wrong, reguardless of who they are or who I am.

I have an open mind. Unlike you, I attempt to follow evidence, logic and reason to find out the truth. Being close minded is to accept things unquestioningly for personal reasons. That's what you are doing.

And even if I did have a closed mind, what would it matter? 1+1=3 is still wrong, no matter how closed my mind is (it isn't).

opinions and assumptions with no scientific gumption. Anger is an weak emotion

I'd say that people would listen to you better without the "ego" rants and a calmer, more friendly disposition.

opinions and assumptions with no scientific gumption. Anger is an weak emotion

I'd say that people would listen to you better without the "ego" rants and a calmer, more friendly disposition.

If my logic is indeed flawed, then provide some kind of counter-argument, instead of declaring it an ego-rant.