Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does earth's magnetic field cause suicides?

Ignus Fatuus

Wombat, with all due respect, I sympathise with your cause but in this case, Inner Space is doing some very good research and using the right tools which is more than I can say for some other claimants/claims on this forum.

Although it's early days, the research I-S has found is very interesting and granted many more properly controlled studies would have to be done to reach any conclusive grounds. At the moment it spells only a correlation but there could be some substance to it and it can be studied properly in the context of science.

I find this quite interesting...

Many animal studies find that ELF fields reduce melatonin. In 2001, more than 13 studies showed that people exposed to ELF fields have reduced melatonin. Since melatonin and serotonin are the primary circadian endocrine hormones, all vital organs, including the brain, hypothalamus, central nervous system, lymph system, immune system, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, uterus, testes and fetus, have melatonin and serotonin receptors. Hence substances that alter the melatonin/serotonin balance can affect organs throughout the body.

You should take a look at her other thread - Does Our Brain/Environment Create God?, How can we know for certain it doesn't.. They are hypotheses at this stage imo, but they have a very good potential to turn into properly formed theories and/or further studies. It is good stuff. What she is trying to study is the influence of geomagnetic (and other man-made/natural) fields on our physiology, specifically the brain, and how they could possibly give rise, or at least in some cases be an instigator, to a number of phenomena usually classed as supernatural but all being natural ie. just in ones mind not actually existing in reality. In other words, alien abductions, ghost sightings, visions, god (delusion?) etc. could be just figments of imagination caused by fluctuations in these fields resonating with our natural brainwave fields. Although there may be other natural causes for these phenomena (including but not limited to neural dysfunction/disease etc.) what she has found could partly be responsible too, imo. We just need to do a lot more research.

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wombat

• Ignus Fatuus

• ai_guardian

• Mr.Dot

Humans do not have any particular electrical charge. We can charge ourselves up to be positively charged or negatively charged by scuffing our feet on the floor, by petting a cat on a dry day, by rubbing some kinds of plastic (a comb, for instance) or a rubber balloon in our hair. But we can just as easily discharge ourselves (ouch!) by touching something that conducts and has a different charge (like the Earth or something electrically connected to it, like water pipes).

As far as we know, nothing has a magnetic charge. There does not seem to be any evidence for the magnetic equivalent of an electrical charge, although the theories of physics are as far as I know consistent both with and without magnetically charged objects (we might learn some important things if we ever did observe a particle with a magnetic charge). These hypothetical particles are called "magnetic monopoles" and may be either North or South. All magnets we know of are at least "dipoles" -- they have a North and a South pole, and sometimes more than one of each. No monopoles have been observed, in spite of intense efforts to look for them. People also have essentially no magnetic dipole (the sort of paired North-South poles that ordinary magnets have.)

Wombat, with all due respect, I sympathise with your cause but in this case, Inner Space is doing some very good research and using the right tools which is more than I can say for some other claimants/claims on this forum.

Although it's early days, the research I-S has found is very interesting and granted many more properly controlled studies would have to be done to reach any conclusive grounds. At the moment it spells only a correlation but there could be some substance to it and it can be studied properly in the context of science.

You should take a look at her other thread - Does Our Brain/Environment Create God?, How can we know for certain it doesn't.. They are hypotheses at this stage imo, but they have a very good potential to turn into properly formed theories and/or further studies. It is good stuff. What she is trying to study is the influence of geomagnetic (and other man-made/natural) fields on our physiology, specifically the brain, and how they could possibly give rise, or at least in some cases be an instigator, to a number of phenomena usually classed as supernatural but all being natural ie. just in ones mind not actually existing in reality. In other words, alien abductions, ghost sightings, visions, god (delusion?) etc. could be just figments of imagination caused by fluctuations in these fields resonating with our natural brainwave fields. Although there may be other natural causes for these phenomena (including but not limited to neural dysfunction/disease etc.) what she has found could partly be responsible too, imo. We just need to do a lot more research.

Cheers

Nice wording. How much "if any" have you read on Dr. Michael Persingers Gods Helmet? He supposively has created a helmet that interferes with a persons natural geomagnetic fields to produce "delusions" much like the sense deprivation of caves and that associated with sacred sites. His counterpart Paul Deveraux has stated that these natural changes in the geomagnetic field only lets you see what is already there. Here is my point on these supernatural things being only in our heads and not reality. If two people saw a earthlight dancing in front of them, how could they be having the same delusion? Is "crazy" contagious? I have a really interesting attachment that was given to me by Dr. Michael Persinger somewhere that gets indepth about the God Delusion and geomagnetic phenomena. When I find it I will post it.

Nice wording. How much "if any" have you read on Dr. Michael Persingers Gods Helmet? He supposively has created a helmet that interferes with a persons natural geomagnetic fields to produce "delusions" much like the sense deprivation of caves and that associated with sacred sites. His counterpart Paul Deveraux has stated that these natural changes in the geomagnetic field only lets you see what is already there. Here is my point on these supernatural things being only in our heads and not reality. If two people saw a earthlight dancing in front of them, how could they be having the same delusion? Is "crazy" contagious? I have a really interesting attachment that was given to me by Dr. Michael Persinger somewhere that gets indepth about the God Delusion and geomagnetic phenomena. When I find it I will post it.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that, haven't heard of it. It's late here (4:40am) and I'm really tired but to this "If two people saw a earthlight dancing in front of them, how could they be having the same delusion" I would say that an appropriate detector (not necessarily of visible light) placed in that location should answer that question. If the detector does not detect it, it's a delusion.

Cheers

Whilst of course I support research on such ideas, this is all very dubious, seemingly consisting mostly of correlation. Which in itself may even be completely factual, but not enough to draw conclusions.

That's what I resist - the baseless assumptions that so many people are making.

Exactly. Why would you not be surprised? Because you are assuming that magnetism would affect us.

Your the one assuming that I think it is affecting us, I never actually said that, you made it up yourself "Crazy people do that". I would not be surprised because theres plenty of other things that is affecting us, so yet another one no big surpries.

And why is this such a big deal for you anyways? Do you dislike that other people dont feel the way you do about things? Im open minded to this theory, you are sertently not. Parhaps you should keep it to yourself or go elsewhere if you cant debate this here in a rationally manner.

Edited by Mr.Dot

WOW ~ What a Post 'Inner Space'.... Thank you for sharing ~ The comment .... "A large number of studies have identified significant physical, biological and health effects associated with changes in Solar and Geomagnetic Activity" ....and "The human EEG shares the same frequency range as a natural ELF signal (which is scarey in the respect of all those towers going up around us), the Schumann Resonance, that propagate around the world with a diurnal and seasonal pattern that follows the human diurnal melatonin pattern." ... is right on the mark! (I think I may want to share with you an experience that I have had that would knock your socks off.... but would never post it on this forum.

Thanks so much BlackFrost, and welcome to UM. :) I would love to here your experience if you care to share it with me via PM.

thanks very much for the info and data. When I recently found this information I had no idea that there would be so much data and relating evidence to support it. Many days of study and understanding ahead of me.

You welcome Bogcreeper, and thank you for your comments. The amount of studies/published research currently out there is mind-boggling, to say the least. I spend between 6 to 8 hours a day (sometimes more, scheduling permitting) doing research in this field, and it's been rather difficult to keep up. Also, I see you brought up Dr. Persinger. I have a great respect for his research and dedication to the neuroscience field. Here is a link to many of his studies.

Cheers

ai-guardian Wow, thank you! I don't even know you, but I really appreciate you taking the time to read through my thread and for recommending it.

Oh, also for your kind comments and support. :)

Whilst of course I support research on such ideas, this is all very dubious, seemingly consisting mostly of correlation. Which in itself may even be completely factual, but not enough to draw conclusions. That's what I resist - the baseless assumptions that so many people are making.

Wombat, I understand where you're coming from. I was a skeptic at first, and still apply some healthy skepticism to help keep me objective. I work in the neuroscience field, and I am overwhelmed with the data(sometimes contradicting), however, as research continues, it is becoming apparent that the idea is not dubious. I think if you read the research yourself, you may come to the same conclusion, as many have already in the neuroscience field and beyond.

I agree with ai-guardian, research needs to continue, but scientist and physicians are no longer turning a blind eye to this anymore. The studies have got their attention. :tu:

Wombat, I understand where you're coming from. I was a skeptic at first, and still apply some healthy skepticism to help keep me objective. I work in the neuroscience field, and I am overwhelmed with the data(sometimes contradicting), however, as research continues, it is becoming apparent that the idea is not dubious. I think if you read the research yourself, you may come to the same conclusion, as many have already in the neuroscience field and beyond.

I agree with ai-guardian, research needs to continue, but scientist and physicians are no longer turning a blind eye to this anymore. The studies have got their attention. :tu:

Excellent, I hope it goes well :)

ai-guardian Wow, thank you! I don't even know you, but I really appreciate you taking the time to read through my thread and for recommending it.

Oh, also for your kind comments and support. :)

You're welcome I-S :tu:

Cheers

Whilst of course I support research on such ideas, this is all very dubious, seemingly consisting mostly of correlation. Which in itself may even be completely factual, but not enough to draw conclusions.

That's what I resist - the baseless assumptions that so many people are making.

I echo your sentiments exactly ;) but I believe I-S's assumptions are not entirely baseless :tu:

Cheers