Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is common sense ... not so common?

Ignus Fatuus

Looking at the definition of common sense according to "wiki" it states ... common sense consists of what people in common would agree on and that what they sense is right. Now define common people. Is there such a thing? There is so much talk of being normal, what is normal and who is normal that people tend to forget or cannot understand that there is no such thing as normal in defining a human or their thought process. Their are billions of people on earth and therefore billions of opinions, personalities, bending and changing the word common until it has become anything but. With all of the technological breakthroughs and education that we have today it is a mystery to fully understand why people seem not even able to dress themselves. Six year old boys in juvi for kissing classmates, teens suspended from school for mouthwash, and the one that made blood shoot out of my eyes as today I read about a man who went to a baseball game with his son and asked him if he wanted some lemonade. He went to Mikes Lemonade stand which he did not know was really Mikes hard Lemonade with six percent alchohol. He brought it back to his son and a security "agent :P " came up and asked if that drink his son had was alchohol. He said no, but like it matters as he was carded off to jail. What is going on with our society and it's social ill's. I have a theory that some of it has to do with political correctness. If you are old enough to remember, do you remember the very beginnings of political correctness? How it started with terms such as a fireman being changed to BETTER fit the occupation as we changed it to a fireperson or weatherman became a weatherperson. This beginning was logical but it soon became anything but as people fueled the fire using political correctness to fit their own personal agenda. For example taking Santa and Christ out of christmas because a very minor population of people stated that it offended them. Common sense would tell you that their was no threat here, but lack of reason bombed as again a very minor few with a trivial problem succeded in controlling the masses. Holiday tree!!! Shut the :angry: up!!! Common sense again consists of what people in common would agree on as being right. Something tells me that the "common" person had no say in this matter.

Is common sense dead? I believe that it is not but it is being held captive by terrorists. These terrorists want to control society, you, your families and friends by censoring their freedom of speech. I believe that it is time for the masses and the "common" people to stand up for common sense and against political correctness. A weatherman who is a woman is not a weatherman I agree, but a christmas tree is a christmas tree and nothing but a christmas tree. Common sense may not be as uncommon as it seems, but it is hard to look something in the eyes hidden behind the face of oppression.

SAVE COMMON SENSE, COLLECT SOME PENNIES ;)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cladking

• Ignus Fatuus

• WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

• chaostrom

Like I've said in my sig for years...

"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes."

"Science is a first-rate piece of furniture for a man's upper chamber, if he has common sense on the ground floor."

=P common sense is probably the most least common thing around

common sense is too common and obviously looked past and forgotten [like blades of grass]

we should agree on these points

1. if it is painful or lethal=it is bad

2. mistakes are the only way to learn what not to do. [fire + hand = pain]

3. you dont have to copy a mistake to learn from it. [bob yelps in pain after he shoved is hand in fire.]

4. if everyone followed all 3 rules how many hands would be burnt in bob's 10 man group.

i thank all the bobs out there for providing my knowledge.

Like I've said in my sig for years...
I knew that quote was also on this forum somewhere.

First off, don't use wiki for anything other than a very general overview of something since details are mosly wrong.

Common sense was never common and was never defined by a majority. Nazi Germany decided to murder millions of their own citizens and engage the world in war. This was the majority common sense. Ironically, much of what caused them to act in such a manner was based on principles that most would consider quite common sense in principle. Anything carried to extremes is madness.

Our society has gone quite mad. They lock children in schools so that fire becomes a death sentence because they don't want to punish anyone for misbehavior like picking on the smaller kids or reporting it to the teachers. Hence the bullied have a history of coming to school dressed to kill. This means the doors are chained even though there's NO evidence that this has ever saved a single life. Even pretend weapons are reasons for expulsion. Kids who just point a finger and say bang are kicked out. Drugs are verbotten even if they are over the counter or prescribed for that individual. Even things that look like drugs have gotten kids kicked out of school. Meanwhile the paid sponsors who have a captive audience of school children are allowed to sell drug shaped candy that causes many individuals to climb the walls and act up. Children are no longer expected to get an education in many schools. Some schools graduate fewer than a quarter of the students and many of the graduates can't read and write.

Our future is being sold for the profits on a bag of SweetTarts or a can of Pepsi but no one seems to mind so it's best not to get too upset about it. So what if large numbers of the most promising kids in the inner city schools just accidently get in the way of a bullet because they won't join a gang. Gangs are still tolerated in schools. The papers will all say how it was just a little accident that the kid got in the way of gangs having a shootout and no one will point out the lie.

This madness permeates society. But this doesn't mean that common sense is rare, it merely points out that uncommon "sense" can become the accepted norm.

Common sense is neither common nor rare. It can usually be recognized even by a raving lunatic when he hears it. It is not determined by the majority and it can't be voted on.

Common sense is deriving a logical conclusion from known facts. Common sense is how one interacts with his enviroment to extract the most comfort, wealth, and efficiency. Common sense is what appears obvious and certain even though it may or may not be real. Common sense dictates that we change our behavior as new facts and processes come to be seen.

Most of what we all do has little relation to common sense and a great deal of relation to habit. Even our thought is mostly habit. Since we act solely on our beliefs and these are habit it behooves us to always be honest with ourselves and to cultivate good habits of body and mind.

I think common sense is diminishing since we as individuals have a wide variety of choice. Variety of choice leads us to which experiences we'll have. These experiences will guide us to choices and decisions we'll make

Just like 2 different plants growing in differing water & soil, they'll grow differently. If it were people growing in different lifestyles, then we'll have different opinions as to how things "ought to be done." :lol:

"Common sense is doing things as they ought to be done."

In my humble opinion!

-common sense is not common, because you're on the internet.

-common sense and freedom of speech was dealt a huge blow by political correctness propaganda campaigns

-our colleges and institutions are run by liberals, who turn our young minds into mush

-liberal doctrine and lawmaking enforces governmental spoonfeeding to the masses

Hence, we are all WEETODDED

Watch the movie Idiocracy. /end thread

• 2 weeks later...

Someone at work sent me this in an email & it's so appropriate for this topic.

Sad Obituary

Today I read his obituary. Please join me in a

moment of silence in remembrance. For Common Sense

has served us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary

Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend,

Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth

records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such

valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of

the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life

isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it

was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial

policies (don't spend more than you earn) and

reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children

are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well

intentioned but overbearing

regulations were set in place. Reports of a

six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for

kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for

using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for

reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his

condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked

teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to

do in disciplining their unruly children. It

declined even further when schools were required to

get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun

lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could

not inform the parents when a student became

pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten

Commandments became contraband; churches became

businesses; and criminals received better treatment

than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when

you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your

own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after

a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of

coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and

was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents,

Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter,

Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived

by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone

Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few

realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass

this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

• 1 month later...

If it's not too late to respond (I've only just noticed this subforum :P ), "common sense" once referred to the 5 senses of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. I remember reading that in a book.

Common sense is self protective behavior. Behavior that is innate and intuitive and logical based on known facts of any given situation.

It is common sense not to jump into a rushing river if you do not know how to swim.

The idea that common sense is based on political or sociological propaganda lacks common sense. (logic)

If one follows or subscribes to the dictates of sociological propaganda in face of the logic of doing so, one can be said to lack common sense, but the propaganda itself has no "sense". Only the people that put forth or follow that propaganda have sense.

As far as political correctness goes - yes, many of these notions lack logical sense as the original definitions of given terms are largely clinical. *******ed is one. *******ed is a term simply meaning "slowed growth". In and of it's self "slowed growth" does not preclude one from reaching full potential, however, it does describe that one may be slower in reaching that potential than would otherwise be considered "normal".

"Developmentally disabled", is supposed to be the politically correct term for someone who shows lower IQ. However, "disabled" means "to stop or prevent". There fore the current politically correct term is actually more damaging to the image of the lower IQ individual than the old term of "*******ed".

The problem, of course, is that language changes with common usage. Though the term "*******ed" is forgiving, people are not and have used "*******ed" as an insult by changing the verbal inflection. Which is, in it's self, senseless.

Are we right round to the beginning yet?

I would say that Common Sense is thinking for yourself instead of always aligning your thoughts with the views of others. When they match ok, when they are different - adjust accordingly.

John

I love thinking about concepts such as this one; there are so many possibilities! I'm a firm believer that it's a mix of instinct and intuition.

I think common sense used to be called wisdom.

I feel that common sense is an individual trait, not a social one. Society seems to be swayed too much by groups with an agenda. So that means that "mob mentality" is an oxymoron. :D

""""Why is commomn sense, not so common""""

Because we dont take the time tro listen to what our inner self is telling us... We are too often pushed in directions and allow ones self to be led by others.. allow others to lead us astray or down the wrng road...

Regardless of ones religion or beleif about where the source comes from...we all have an access to a deep inner wisdom within each of us and in our soul...Our intuition can give us the answers from this Divine Wisdom and help us live our lives.....

Pay Attention!!! listen to your gut... Its usually right. Go with that first thought/instinct.

Blessings all...

I love thinking about concepts such as this one; there are so many possibilities! I'm a firm believer that it's a mix of instinct and intuition.

Your right on!!! Smartie pants lol.....

Blessings and light

Yeah, it is frustrating to learn that common sense. . . .isn't so common after all. I have had to learn to just breathe, and move on.