Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mary Magdalene's grave found in France?

WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

I heard today that the man who investigated and wrote about topics such as Area 51...and UFO topics and such has found Mary Magdalene's tomb. Her body was enshrouded with a Knights Templer shroud and buried along with items dateing back to the first century.. He has been on continual quests to uncover the truths about different matters of debate, from Jesus to UFO's etc.

Now they found proof... ANy one else hear of this too????

Please forgive the breifness of my post... Im on my way out the door for work, but wanted to get it in.

Edited by WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

• OldTimeRadio

• Silmarillion

• keithisco

If you are going to throw this out, have some links to back it up. Come on.

Wow. Kind of scary, a guy that believes in UFO's and Jesus. :td:

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

Yeah he found Area 51, Roswell, Atlantas, Bigfoot, Shangri-La, the Lost City of Gold, Planet X, and the Loch Ness Monster. Reason we don't know more about him is he can't find his shoes and make it to a press conference.

I've not heard anything about this. It sounds amazing if true. However, I don't think anyone made any connections between the Knights Templar and Mary Magdalene until Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code. And even if this were true the Knights Templar did not exist in the 1st century AD.

I do appoligise for not having more info...thats why my post is ASKING if anyone here heard anything...

All i know is on the news this morning there was a quick mention about it and I didnt catch the mans name that is doing the documentary on it.....

So far I'll take my answers as no then?

I do appoligise for not having more info...thats why my post is ASKING if anyone here heard anything...

All i know is on the news this morning there was a quick mention about it and I didnt catch the mans name that is doing the documentary on it.....

So far I'll take my answers as no then?

I didnt realise her body (remains) were ever lost!!

From WIKI:

The French tradition of Saint Lazare of Bethany is that Mary, her brother Lazarus, and Maximinus, one of the Seventy Disciples and some companions, expelled by persecutions from the Holy Land, traversed the Mediterranean in a frail boat with neither rudder nor mast and landed at the place called Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer near Arles. Mary Magdalene came to Marseille and converted the whole of Provence. Magdalene is said to have retired to a cave on a hill by Marseille, La Sainte-Baume ("holy cave", baumo in Provencal), where she gave herself up to a life of penance for thirty years. When the time of her death arrived she was carried by angels to Aix and into the oratory of Saint Maximinus, where she received the viaticum; her body was then laid in an oratory constructed by St. Maximinus at Villa Lata, afterwards called St. Maximin.

In 1279, when Charles II, King of Naples, erected a Dominican convent at La Sainte-Baume, the shrine was found intact, with an explanatory inscription stating why the relics had been hidden.

In 1600, the relics were placed in a sarcophagus commissioned by Pope Clement VIII, the head being placed in a separate reliquary. The relics and free-standing images were scattered and destroyed at the Revolution. In 1814, the church of La Sainte-Baume, also wrecked during the Revolution, was restored, and, in 1822, the grotto was consecrated afresh. The head of the saint now lies there and has been the centre of many pilgrimages.

LINK

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080417/lath024.html?.v=101

video.aol.com/video-detail/mary-magdalenes-tomb-/3907240202 (not sure it http:// goes in front of this one)

From what furthur I was able to find there is a movie coming out called Bloodline......do Im wrestling with the question Is this a real find or promo for movie????

Today there was supposed to be a conference held at the Jewish Museum NYC, New York

Any onput one may have would be greatly appreciated

Considering the source of the article is Cinema Libre Studio I wonder how valid their claims are. They are a company that makes documentaries for profit. It was also not a journalistic article but a press release by Cinema Libre Studio.

http://www.cinemalibrestudio.com/

Edited by Clovis

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080417/lath024.html?.v=101

video.aol.com/video-detail/mary-magdalenes-tomb-/3907240202 (not sure it http:// goes in front of this one)

From what furthur I was able to find there is a movie coming out called Bloodline......do Im wrestling with the question Is this a real find or promo for movie????

Today there was supposed to be a conference held at the Jewish Museum NYC, New York

Any onput one may have would be greatly appreciated

Hi Warrior FTL

I have had a look at the website of the Direction Regionale des Affaires Culturelles Languedoc-Roussillon, and there is no mention of any recent finds. I think if this was genuine that they would splash it all over their pages somewhere, but, nada, nothing at all.

I think you are right that this is just a promo for a film.

Something Id love to see for sure.....

Good one..... The pics that Ben Hammott has on the site are very interesting....

Im wondering how the Templars found her in order to move her so many years after to drape her in the shroud.....

I think in the 2007 finding is when he did the documentary on it...He (if its the same one) is pretty famous and has done many on the various topics that are Hot in this area... Such as Jesus, UFO's and such.. places where no one else really wants to go... I appreciate them all even the Big Foot ones etc....I just seek to find the truth about these matters and bounce around the findings...

Thanks for finding that too Keith, Clovis and Sag!ttarius!!! Blessing to you guys

Are any of you going to see the film????

Hi Warrior, from what I recall, it was found back in 2005. The mummy also is supposedly of a child, dated c.2000 years ago of Middle Eastern descent. I haven't followed the story for quite a while, so my memory is a tad foggy and my interests diverted to archeology from there on, instead of theological history. Might get interested back by this subject after seeing the movie next month, who knows...

Cheers

I've not heard anything about this. It sounds amazing if true. However, I don't think anyone made any connections between the Knights Templar and Mary Magdalene until Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code. And even if this were true the Knights Templar did not exist in the 1st century AD.

the knights templar may have adopted the symbol?

the knights templar may have adopted the symbol?

I haven't studied any of the detail of whether Dan Brown used "proper historical research" to pen his fiction, but several things struck me from the book (and also from Holy Blood Holy Grail): 1) the concept that Magdala actually meant "the ones who anoint;" 2) that Ieshueh was probably not from Nazareth [because Nazareth (a hick town) had not existed in Ieshueh's time - it arose later] - Ieshueh was probably a Nazrene (or Nazarite - I can't remember) (holy man chosen from birth ala Samuel or Samson (can't shave his hair, mustn't drink alcohol etc.); 3) that Ieshueh, according to the Gospels, was of the line of David - and hence had claims on the throne of Judea; 4) the concept that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute is never mentioned in the bible, and the concept only arose in the misogynistic Roman Catholic Church after several centuries (and I cannot remember the name of the Pope who started that rumor); 5) it would have been socially accepted - and almost required - that Ieshueh, a proper Jewish male following Jewish custom, should have been married (and if he wasn't married by the age of 30, society would think that there was something wrong with him); 6) Ieshueh probably spent time with the Essenes at Qumran - where the devotees' families were in attendance as the males studied and purified themselves; and etc.

I'd prefer to believe that Ieshueh was married. And I'd like to believe that he had offspring. Christians should not let these positions interfere with Ieshueh's teachings, spiritualism, or Divine messages. In fact, in my view, this imputes even more humanity onto Christos - that he lived a full life AND STILL showed an example of non-violent protest (at least according to the myth)...

1st Edit: I may be wrong or slightly wrong on some of these points as I am writing from memory. I have not gone back to check the history of Nazareth, for example, but in the past, I had come across this information in books written by bonafide historians.

2nd Edit: About Nazereth (From Wikipedia Nazereth:

"However, excavations conducted prior to 1931 in the Franciscan venerated area revealed "no trace of a Greek or Roman settlement" there,[12] and according to studies written between 1955 and 1990, no archaeological evidence from Assyrian, Babylonian, Persian, Hellenistic or Early Roman times have been found.[13] [14] Bagatti, the principal archaeologist at the venerated sites in Nazareth, unearthed quantities of later Roman and Byzantine artefacts,[15] attesting to unambiguous human presence there from the 2nd century AD onward.

Emmett also claims that "homes and tombs built of stone masonry with back rooms of natural or rock-hewn caves were also found that date to the Roman era (63 BC to 324 AD)."[16] However, this familiar claim that the Nazarenes were troglodytes (cave dwellers) is impossible, for "the caves of Galilee are wet or damp from December to May, and can only be used during the summer and autumn."[17]

Finally, Emmett claims that "In light of the archaeological data, there is speculation that Nazareth's first inhabitants could have been Canaanites, then Israelites and Galilean Jews."[16] Indeed, the Bronze-Iron Age inhabitants must have been Canaanites (pre-Israelite inhabitants of the land), but lack of archaeological evidence from Assyrian, Babylonian, Persian, Hellenistic or Early Roman times (see above), at least in the major excavations between 1955 and 1990, shows that Israelite presence in the basin is unsubstantiated."

<End Wiki Quote>

Basically it seems that Nazareth, as described in the New Testament, was not where it should have been (i.e. an Israeli town that would have been influenced by a Greco-Roman world). The Greco-Roman Nazareth only cropped up in the later 1st Century CE.

3rd Edit: Scratch that point 1 above about Magdala meaning "one who anoints." Magdala means "tower" or "fortress." -Can't remember where I got the annoint thing. Just been in my head for years...

Edited by lmbeharry

it would have been socially accepted - and almost required - that Ieshueh, a proper Jewish male following Jewish custom, should have been married (and if he wasn't married by the age of 30, society would think that there was something wrong with him

There was something wrong with him, John Wayne put's it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Opxg8mILc...feature=related

There was something wrong with him, John Wayne put's it best.

hetrodoxly? Can you put it in prose? I live in Mongolia (and I haven't paid my internet this month). My connection is slow at best. It'd take hours to process a UTube transfer...

Edited by lmbeharry

who is Mary Magnalin?

Typo. Gotta get used to it. The OP (original post) is about Mary Magdalene...

There was something wrong with him, John Wayne puts it best.

I caught it. The Greatest Story Ever Told is one of my all-time favorite flicks. Did you know that Max von Sidow is the only actor ever to have portrayed the christ to have had a film career afterward? -At least until Willem Defoe in The Last Temptation... And Defoe didn't have such stellar roles afterward, either.

John Wayne: Truly this man was the son of god...

It's good theatre...

I caught it. The Greatest Story Ever Told is one of my all-time favorite flicks. Did you know that Max von Sidow is the only actor ever to have portrayed the christ to have had a film career afterward? -At least until Willem Defoe in The Last Temptation... And Defoe didn't have such stellar roles afterward, either.

John Wayne: Truly this man was the son of god...

It's good theatre...

I love John wayne in Cowboy films "true grit," etc. but i can't help laughing when he say's "Truly this man was the son of god" didn't they know Jesus and the Romans had English accents.

So did Mary Magdalene and Jesus get it on or what? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)