Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK drivers pay highest fuel taxes in Europe

questionmark

By Robert Winnett, Deputy Political Editor

Last Updated: 2:34AM BST 10/05/2008

About 57p of the cost of a litre of petrol in Britain is tax, compared with 31p in Spain, 45p in Italy, 48p in France and 52p in Germany.

The Telegraph launched a campaign this week calling on Gordon Brown to scrap plans to increase road tax and a planned 2p per litre rise in fuel duty.

The average Briton pays almost £900 in petrol taxes annually.

Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keithisco

• Caesar

• louie

• stevewinn

Top Posters In This Topic

About 57p of the cost of a litre of petrol in Britain is tax, compared with 31p in Spain, 45p in Italy, 48p in France and 52p in Germany.

The Telegraph launched a campaign this week calling on Gordon Brown to scrap plans to increase road tax and a planned 2p per litre rise in fuel duty.

Hi QM,

Actually its 63,7pence tax per litre LINK

This is probably why Europeans think that USA whingeing about gas prices just makes us all laugh, no sympathy I'm sorry to say. As the USA also imports almost all of its gas and then gives it away, then perhaps they they are the harbingers of their own demise....It's got to stop sometime. A weak dollar, and high dollar prices for oil doesnt affect Europe anywhere as much as it does the USA. IMO

What's new?

Hi QM,

Actually its 63,7pence tax per litre LINK

This is probably why Europeans think that USA whingeing about gas prices just makes us all laugh, no sympathy I'm sorry to say. As the USA also imports almost all of its gas and then gives it away, then perhaps they they are the harbingers of their own demise....It's got to stop sometime. A weak dollar, and high dollar prices for oil doesnt affect Europe anywhere as much as it does the USA. IMO

What do you mean the U.S. imports almost all of its gas, do you mean oil? about 14% of our natural gas is being imported from Canada. the U.S. is the 3rd largest oil producer in the world SOURCE 2006 Second sourceI think the U.S. could make the price of oil much lower by drilling in Alaska, the gulf of Mexico and off the cost of California and to allow more nuclear power plants like France, not to mention building more refineries. if the U.S. did all that, we would be a nation that exports oil.

Get a bicycle, its far cheaper, itll get you fit an its eco friendly.

I can remember when I was station in Germany every month we were issued rations cards for alcohol, cigarettes and fuel and back in the late 70's gas in West Germany in the area of Nierstein/Dexheim was going back than $4.76(American Dollars not Marks) a gallon. I could remember when I ran out of my rations for gas how much the gas was when pulling out dollars, but when I had marks it wasn't so painful.

What do you mean the U.S. imports almost all of its gas, do you mean oil? about 14% of our natural gas is being imported from Canada. the U.S. is the 3rd largest oil producer in the world SOURCE 2006 Second sourceI think the U.S. could make the price of oil much lower by drilling in Alaska, the gulf of Mexico and off the cost of California and to allow more nuclear power plants like France, not to mention building more refineries. if the U.S. did all that, we would be a nation that exports oil.

No, I mean gas, as in petroleum: These are newer figures for oil and gas (petrol) imports into the USA:

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

February 2008 Import Highlights: April 28, 2008

Monthly data on the origins of crude oil imports in February 2008 has been released and it shows that two countries exported more than 1.50 million barrels per day to the United States. Including those countries, a total of three countries exported over 1.20 million barrels per day of crude oil to the United States (see table below). The top five exporting countries accounted for 70 percent of United States crude oil imports in February while the top ten sources accounted for approximately 88 percent of all U.S. crude oil imports. The top sources of US crude oil imports for February were Canada (1.920 million barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.614 million barrels per day), Mexico (1.231 million barrels per day), Nigeria (0.982 million barrels per day), and Venezuela (0.945 million barrels per day). The rest of the top ten sources, in order, were Iraq (0.780 million barrels per day), Angola (0.341 million barrels per day), Kuwait (0.261 million barrels per day), Colombia (0.220 million barrels per day), and Algeria (0.191 million barrels per day). Total crude oil imports averaged 9.606 million barrels per day in February, which is a decrease of (0.394) million barrels per day from January 2008.

Canada remained the largest exporter of total petroleum in February, exporting 2.464 million barrels per day to the United States, which is a decrease from last month (2.586 thousand barrels per day). The second largest exporter of total petroleum was Saudi Arabia with 1.627 million barrels per day.

LINK

my local petrol station is BP, price of unleaded. £1.09p, Shell a bit further down the road £1.07p but found that the shell petrol lasts longer 8 miles more, am sure the BP station is on the fiddle,

an still no one here has mentioned, bikes, electric cars or any other alternative means of eco friendly transport.

making fuel expensive is a good way of cutting down on the overuse of fuel.

get out and walk.

an still no one here has mentioned, bikes, electric cars or any other alternative means of eco friendly transport.

get out and walk.

sometimes walking isnt an option or even a bike because of distances involved. why hasnt Britain got the maglev train for transporting people and use the traditional railway for transporting goods, would take thousands of HGV's off the roads, am sure people would switch from the car to the Maglev train on long journeys because of the sheer speed, Liverpool to London in 2 hours? instead of the 5 to 6 hours by road if you're lucky,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_QdYNWvcqc

Edited by stevewinn

sometimes walking isnt an option or even a bike because of distances involved. why hasnt Britain got the maglev train for transporting people and use the traditional railway for transporting goods, would take thousands of HGV's off the roads, am sure people would switch from the car to the Maglev train on long journeys because of the sheer speed, Liverpool to London in 2 hours? instead of the 5 to 6 hours by road if you're lucky,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_QdYNWvcqc

Maglev is brilliant, when the UK was considering it (back in the 70's) they decided to go with the old system (after lots of lobbying from the likes of GE).

Here in Spain we have the AVE which travels at 300kmh connecting major population centres - all the new infrastructure was paid for by EU grants. They also dont have the problems from environmental groups when laying new track, that you have in the UK.

o

Edited by Pavot

No, I mean gas, as in petroleum: These are newer figures for oil and gas (petrol) imports into the USA:

LINK

That link is on the nations that export Oil to the U.S. America produces about 40% of its oil. I'm not sure what you ment by "As the USA also imports almost all of its gas"

get out and walk.

I don't trust bikes, not enough protection for my liking and besides I go about 15 miles a day to college (the nearest bus comes to the stop down the road at 6:45 if it even turns up and often gets there late if it doesn't break down, besides costing £500 a year). Electic cars don't go fast enough for the motor way (least the ones I've heard of don't) and I will end up having to drive my family and dog to Devon after I've passed my test (again train is no option, my dog is terrified of crowds), besides the fact the shell isn't hard enough to take a crash, I once saw one have a minor crash, it was totalled. Making fuel expensive isn't a good way of cutting down fuel consumption, it's a good way of increasing credit card debt.

get out and walk.

60 mile round trip just to get to work & back each day......on a bike......er I don't think so.

Don't know about gettin fit, I think after a week of that I'd be dead.

Edited by itsnotoutthere