Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain enjoying the hottest May since 1772

questionmark

By Tom Peterkin

Last Updated: 4:27PM BST 12/05/2008

Britain has been basking in the warmest May since records began with temperatures rising to a high of 81.5 F (27.5 C) at the weekend, the Met Office revealed today.

The average temperature from May 1 to 10 was the highest ever noted since meteorologists first started gathering precise daily data in 1772.

The bad news, however, is that the heat wave will not last with showers expected to arrive by Thursday when daytime temperatures drop to highs of between 59 F and 63 F (15-17 C).

According to Central England Temperature, which is the world's longest available instrumental record of temperature, the average maximum and minimum temperature for the first ten days of the month was 58 F (14.7 C).

The temperature was appreciably above the long term average of 50.5 F (10.3 C). The previous highest average for the first few days of May was 57.7 F (14.3 C), which was experienced in 1804.

The CET is representative of a roughly triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by London, Bristol and Lancashire.

The record-breaking period was topped off by the hottest day of the year on Sunday when Great Malvern in Worcestershire baked in a sweltering temperature of 81.5 F (27.5 C).

Great Malvern narrowly beat Herstmonceux, East Sussex, which had an 81.1 F (27.3 C) temperature on Saturday.

”It has been a record-breaking start to May. It has been the hottest daily mean temperature since 1772,” said Helen Chivers of the Met Office.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• hetrodoxly

• questionmark

• girty1600

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could say the same for Alberta, we had a very mild winter, but this spring is just suckin LOL. May long weekend, it better not snow LOL. I guess it's the price we pay living next to the rockies, not bad spring sking though ;)

great weather, this is what our weather should be like, here in the Costa Del Liverpool, we had a lovely day yesterday but then we had thunderstorms for a couple of hours. but the weather has been great today hope the forecast is wrong and we continue with this great weather for weeks to come, B)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-20895749/

great weather, this is what our weather should be like, here in the Costa Del Liverpool, we had a lovely day yesterday but then we had thunderstorms for a couple of hours. but the weather has been great today hope the forecast is wrong and we continue with this great weather for weeks to come, B)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-20895749/

Could have done with a thunderstorm last night... it was really hard to sleep with the heat.

Mind you... it's cooling down nicely now in the evening :) (still warm enough to have a glass of wine in the garden with a short-sleeved shirt and short trousers)

Meow Purr :)

Share some warmth fellows. We still have not seen our first 80 degree day here in Kentucky yet. (as far as my area)

So glad for the hot weather at last, better make the most of it. By the way, stevewinn - I don't care what everyone else thinks of Liverpool, I think it's a beautiful place all-round. Unfortunate signature though, my friend... ;)

Edited by Tom2943

Totally not fair... we havent' seen hide nor hair of spring here yet. The cherry trees aren't even bloomed out yet. Typically by now we've seen several weeks of nice weather. Not so this year... it's barely been above 55 degrees and raining. I'm sick of the gray and rain... bring on the global warming! **stands outside spraying a can of aerosol hairspray into the ozone**

Totally not fair... we havent' seen hide nor hair of spring here yet. The cherry trees aren't even bloomed out yet. Typically by now we've seen several weeks of nice weather. Not so this year... it's barely been above 55 degrees and raining. I'm sick of the gray and rain... bring on the global warming! **stands outside spraying a can of aerosol hairspray into the ozone**

I agree, its been pretty cool here too. Ok, now I blame Britain for global warming, those heat stealing Union Jack wavin',.....*shakes fist* and they are in cahoots with Al Gore! :yes:

**stands outside spraying a can of aerosol hairspray into the ozone**

sorry, but the ozone hole contributes to cooling....

So glad for the hot weather at last, better make the most of it. By the way, stevewinn - I don't care what everyone else thinks of Liverpool, I think it's a beautiful place all-round. Unfortunate signature though, my friend... ;)

Liverpool is on the up and up, after the Billions being spent the city is totally changing, every time i go to town i see something new, but its hard work trying to change peoples perception of the city,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71P8AxugYX4...feature=related

Tom, my signature, i thought we'd go on and win the Champs league for the 6th time, i thought we'd beat Chelsea, and we would have if it wasnt for Riise own goal in the First leg,.........but it wasnt to be, i thought it would have been Barc V Liverpool Final, but i hope United Win it, for the simple reason they've played great football all season, and even though i cant stand man-ure,........ but has a football fan i have to hold my hands up and admit they're a great side,

what do you think of the Torres Song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjRQfJ3f74

Share some warmth fellows. We still have not seen our first 80 degree day here in Kentucky yet. (as far as my area)

Yeah its been cold here in NC. we have had 5 tornado warnings so far, I think I'm moving back to Massachussetts

Its been rather cold here for the last 6 weeks. We had a few days where the mercury hit 70F but only for a an hour or too and was usually coupled with howling winds and rain. Lots and lots of rain.

Its 41F as I type right now. Brrrrrr.

By Tom Peterkin

Last Updated: 4:27PM BST 12/05/2008

is the world's longest available instrumental record of temperature, the average maximum and minimum temperature for the first ten days of the month was 58 F (14.7 C).

The temperature was appreciably above the long term average of 50.5 F (10.3 C). The previous highest average for the first few days of May was 57.7 F (14.3 C), which was experienced in 1804.

The CET is representative of a roughly triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by London, Bristol and Lancashire.

The record-breaking period was topped off by the hottest day of the year on Sunday when Great Malvern in Worcestershire baked in a sweltering temperature of 81.5 F (27.5 C).

Great Malvern narrowly beat Herstmonceux, East Sussex, which had an 81.1 F (27.3 C) temperature on Saturday.

”It has been a record-breaking start to May. It has been the hottest daily mean temperature since 1772,” said Helen Chivers of the Met Office.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

:D sweltering eh?? pffft come to australia in summer and then you will know sweltering.. heck.. its winter here in perth and last week we were still getting temps of 26 C.. \

now in summer 27 C is what the temp is at night.. usual temps in summer are around 37.. range up to 45 C

Well, here in Jersey it's been hit and miss for the last two weeks...We got a few days in the 70's, some in the 60's and down to the 40's..I'm still putting my fireplace on, and here we are the middle of May.. :)

Besides some rain, the weather here is just about perfect.

A little cool in the morning, but then brightning up to a pleasant temperature.

No problems here.

Hot here again today (south Shropshire) summer must end soon. :)

not a cloud in the sky, pure blue, but with a east wind making a lovely breeze.......you know what will happen dont ya Hetro, we'll pay the price for this beautiful weather by having 3 more days of great weather followed by 6 weeks of rain and cold'ish north east winds. :blink:

Gee, how bad was Global Warming in 1772?

This Spring has been unseasonably cool in the Eastern United States. Here it is mid-May in "The Gateway to the South" and this is the first day all month that I've been able to sit comfortably (not shivering) at the computer without wearing a heavy HOODED sweatshirt.

not a cloud in the sky, pure blue, but with a east wind making a lovely breeze.......you know what will happen dont ya Hetro, we'll pay the price for this beautiful weather by having 3 more days of great weather followed by 6 weeks of rain and cold'ish north east winds. :blink:

sshhh. :)

Even hotter today.