Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parallel FOrest

EDieter

I'm currently stationed at Fort Sill, OK. I heard of this "parallel forest which was planted during the dust bowl as a way to stop some of the wind and dust from harming crops. But what Ive been hearing is there are ghost in the forest and satan worshipers and what not. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of and urban legends or ghost stories about this place or been there? I did go there one night with some friends and it was creepy only because seriously all the trees are parallel and perfectly spaced out we went in about 10 feet and left because it was dark and it seemed like no light could escape we all had mag lights and surefire lights and we could see maybe 20-30 feet and then it was pitch black. didn't see or hear a ghost or Satan worshipers just wondering if anyone has any stories about this place.

• Like 3

Hi EDieter and welcome to UM. :) ..Here's a little bit I found on Parallel Forest, also known as Medicine Park. There is supposingly an altar by the river inside the forest on the rock right next to the altar. When you are there you feel disembodied people run by, Americans hollering and old war drums beating..Also at Fort Sill is Geronomo's Grave (which I'm sure you know about). The story goes that he rises out of his grave and sits on his tombstone. :o If you go to google, you'll probably find a ton of stories, so good luck...

• Like 1

interesting......don't concern yourself about satanic rituals. There are no such thing. Satanists only think that the enemie has simpathy on humans and God wants to keep us in his chain of will. I am a christian. Maybe it is an artificial forest planted by men and that is the reason that the trees are paralel

• Like 1

yeah i heard about thsi "altar" never found it, probably becasue we got lost, it was wierd in that forest too. Also I've been to Geronimos grave, nothing special lol. Just wondering if anyone had any other stories or actually been there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is a satanic altar in the forest. Its in the back down the creek a little ways and to the left in the forest and rituals are done!!! Trust me Im a satanist and have been out there

yeah i heard about thsi "altar" never found it, probably becasue we got lost, it was wierd in that forest too. Also I've been to Geronimos grave, nothing special lol. Just wondering if anyone had any other stories or actually been there.

Okay, these people who are writing back to you don't know what they are talking about, I have been to parralel forest several times... I have seen a little girl running around with out a head, we have pictures of orbes, when I was in there I felt things constantly touching my ankles and they would start hurting.... I had to leave immediatly as I got there one time because I saw a man like figure on the edge of the forest and I felt a bad spirit. I am a christian, but I do believe in the paranormal, and the person up there should too, because it does mention it in the bible.... So, an open mind might be dangerous but it makes you aware of whats around you. I would suggest going there in the day just to get you prepared for the night, be very careful in there its easy to get lost and its highly illegal to be there at night... But thats when its the most fun. I do not suggest going intoxicated... lol... been there once and I wont ever do that again.... But I have been sober many many times. Hope that helps you out

Okay, these people who are writing back to you don't know what they are talking about, I have been to parralel forest several times... I have seen a little girl running around with out a head, we have pictures of orbes, when I was in there I felt things constantly touching my ankles and they would start hurting.... I had to leave immediatly as I got there one time because I saw a man like figure on the edge of the forest and I felt a bad spirit. I am a christian, but I do believe in the paranormal, and the person up there should too, because it does mention it in the bible.... So, an open mind might be dangerous but it makes you aware of whats around you. I would suggest going there in the day just to get you prepared for the night, be very careful in there its easy to get lost and its highly illegal to be there at night... But thats when its the most fun. I do not suggest going intoxicated... lol... been there once and I wont ever do that again.... But I have been sober many many times. Hope that helps you out

I am a christian, but I do believe in the paranormal....

There's no conflict. Nothing in the Bible says that "reality" is limited to what can be perceived by the five ordinary human senses.

CaitSith: Thanks for the link.

Very pretty indeed.

I hope this story is in Weird Oklahoma. It'll be awsome!

I'm currently stationed at Fort Sill, OK. I heard of this "parallel forest which was planted during the dust bowl as a way to stop some of the wind and dust from harming crops. But what Ive been hearing is there are ghost in the forest and satan worshipers and what not. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of and urban legends or ghost stories about this place or been there? I did go there one night with some friends and it was creepy only because seriously all the trees are parallel and perfectly spaced out we went in about 10 feet and left because it was dark and it seemed like no light could escape we all had mag lights and surefire lights and we could see maybe 20-30 feet and then it was pitch black. didn't see or hear a ghost or Satan worshipers just wondering if anyone has any stories about this place.

Where exactly is this place? Is it on Ft. Sill itself? I was at Ft. Sill when I was in the Army in the mid 70's.

I never heard of anything about it nor any glitches in its history...

By the way welcome to UM

Hope you have a pleasant time

thanks

B???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

@ EDieter: Alrighty, I live out here in the lovely land of Oklahoma just a few miles from this beautiful place. It is a man made place. They planted it with the plan of "harvesting" it, but the land was turned into a wild life refuge, so they can't cut them down, so the trees are still there. They are beautiful trees, it's a beautiful forest, I love going out there. I have searched all over the place for this "witches altar" and I have never found it. Apparently it is actually something used for mining, my dad said he found it once. I have never felt a "presence" or heard anything creepy or strange. I've heard and seen deer, which to someone who is already edgy might seem creepy. The trees do creak rather eerily, but it's nothing more than that, just trees.

It is true, yes, that teens and such in the area go out there and do things to make it seem haunted and eerie. They will build things with the knocked over trees, I've found rocks piled up to look like some sort of shallow grave, I've found things hung in the trees. But in all honestly, it's just a beautiful man made forest. I have friends who take criminal justice classes at the local university, and they talk about how in the past dead bodies have indeed been found out there and they looked as if they were sacrificed in a ritualistic way. So, yes, there are "Satanists" who apparently do go out there and do things. When I go out to the refuge (as we call it) this is one of my favorite places to go.

@ goalienan: medicine park and the wichita mountains wildlife refuge are not the same place, but they are right next to each other so it's understandable if sources online suggest they are one in the same. I have never felt disembodied people run by me, I have never heard native americans "hollering" or any old war drums beating. Geronimo's grave is no where near the forest, it's actually on post, i've been there as well. the grave yard can be a little... hmm... "odd" because of the decorations, but I've never felt anything out there either.

@ CrOM_94: there are satanists who go out there, kinda annoying to hear about them, personally i think they are angsty teens who have "nothing better to do" but people have been killed out there. it IS a man made forest and that IS the reason the trees are in perfect rows.

@ BAELSlegion666: it's not an actual altar, it is only referred to as The Witch's Altar.

@ mhjohnson87: I have been out there more times than I can count, for hours at a time, and I have never experienced anything. If I went in there and said to myself "yeah this place is totally haunted!" then maybe I could make myself believe i saw something. Nothing remotely creepy has ever happened to me out there, whether I go by myself or with a group of friends.

@ CaitSith: It's a gorgeous place. I love going out there.

@ Ghostdancer: The forest is not on Fort Sill. It is North of post, in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

These are pictures I took myself out there.

IMG_6540.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

Why would a bunch of tree that someone planted to stop dust bowlsbe haunted?

It is not like it is an ancient forest, or even an old forest from the civil war or anything?

• 3 years later...

There is actually a fire pit with a calcified stump in the middle of it, near the river. It resembles an altar, but I seriously doubt any arcane rituals have ever taken place there. The structure is pretty deep in, and out of the actual 'parallel' part of the forest. We had to follow many animal paths and go through a large glen to get there.

• Like 1

There is actually a fire pit with a calcified stump in the middle of it, near the river. It resembles an altar, but I seriously doubt any arcane rituals have ever taken place there. The structure is pretty deep in, and out of the actual 'parallel' part of the forest. We had to follow many animal paths and go through a large glen to get there.

:blink:

• 1 month later...

is this forest like mirkwood forest, which has deranged tress, giant spiders and elves

i tend to side w/ikayn...i live at anadarko and i've not heard about it either...in parallal rows, you say...couldve been done by the wpa or ccc or even soldiers...

• 1 year later...

Parallel Forrest is actually closer to Meers then Medicine Park. Most people take the Medicine Park exit off I-44 to get to it. The east refuge (Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge) entrance is next to medicine park. If you go west on 49 into the refuge, go a few minutes min past Lake Lawtonka ( or Mt Scott) and turn right on 115 towards Meers. Once you turn and go north on 115, go a few minutes and the Forest will be on your right side. There you will find a very small parking area and you will see the forest on the right as you pull in. At night it is very quit due to trees surrounding you inside, and mountains surround the area. It also has a cool feeling especially toward the back by the creek. We went yesterday to take family/friends for a "ghost trip" and this was one of our stops. The forest is very nice just to look at and enjoy. I have been here several times in the past and it seems as if it changes each time. I could not find the "altar" as I had in the past, it is normally straight in toward the center. Leads me to believe it may have been removed. Many paths were blocked by piles of limbs and brush that looked like they were cleaning the area. We heard many voices as if it were chanting but with me being prior military and stationed at Ft.Sill, I could tell it was soldiers that carried a faint sound throughout the area. And yes, at night, voices carry a long distance. Ft. Sill actually butts up against the whole south side of the refuge. We usually go at night but to say its highly illegal, I have never got in trouble other then being told to leave the area if we get caught by a ranger. Of course, were not out there causing trouble. It is worth going just to see the trees in a perfect line and enjoy the scenery. You do want to be cautious especially at night because animals are out searching for food, and you may run across a buffalo, deer, longhorn, bobcat, etc. You'll hear different animals yelping and huffing and that kinda is scary by itself not knowing where they are.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Never heard of this sounds cool

You should check out the Perpendicular Forest.

Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck!

• Like 1

You should check out the Perpendicular Forest.

Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck!

Thank you for making me read a six year old thread clicking my like button as I go. Grr.

• Like 1