Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EMF Meters

The Paranormal Skeptic

"Some" teams think they can find a ghost using an EMF Detector when that is not what it is intended for. An EMF Detector is a device to detect The Electromagnetic Field. Ghost Hunters are supposed to be using them to find "false positives". ( In Theory ) Entities or Spirits when present or manifest need an energy source. EMF is a source of energy. You just can't see it. High EMF Fields can give off different variations of sickness or illness. Such as hallucinations, dizziness, nausea, the feeling of being watched, and sometimes rashes. That's what EMF Detectors are supposed to be used for. But as I said, ( In Theory ) when an Entity or Spirit is present it can effect a change in our atmosphere. I agree with the OP. I find EMF Detectors to become more useless than an advantage. However, there are times an Entity or Spirit can communicate with investigators using the device. ( That has been proven on a few Episodes of Ghost Hunters ). Though I am sure that is a rare thing. You are very lucky & fortunate if you have that happen on an investigation. To me that is a sign of an intelligent Entity or Spirit. There are many "Pro's and Con's" with the many tools and devices Ghost Hunters use. Because our field is based mostly on theory and hasn't been proven 100%, that is why.

Obviously if you have a high EMF Field in the establishment you are investigating, the tool then becomes useless. Then you have to rely on audio, video and personal experiences long as you can back it up with proper data. Then you have to be the judge: If you have a high EMF Field, is that the cause of your clients claims? Unless you can get other reliable evidence to validate your clients claims.

Hope that is helpful? :D

Then again everything around us is energy and has a form of energy, i've often thought that if you can stand still in one spot that has a low reading and hangs low, then boom something happens that you cant explain and the EMF device spikes by a high number then instantly drops back down, your gonna look for an explination and track around the room and if you cannot seem to track this event, then obviously how else are you doing to explain it you know?

Here's a good question? Is our ghost hunting tools doing a sufficient enough job? Should we be using better technology? If so, what kind of technology do you think could help improve recording data and helping us study paranormal activity?

I honestly think it's not really a waste of money if it's something that could help us in proving a theory, like wise with many other scientists that have been dead for long time, how did they prove their theories? only by research and developing new devices that could help them to prove a theory.

Reg.,

My problem with all this is that why should how somebody "feels" have anything to do with it?

I've had goosebumps raised over perfectly explainable phenomena that, for a second, I didn't know the explanation for.

Does my "feeling" still count?

Harte

I think what reg was saynig that if you go into a room, and the room runs a high EMF reading and you get the feeling of being watched, that the explination is obvious it's some device in there that is giving that high field and causing someone to feel paranoid at the time while they are stationed in the room ya know?

i've read a lot, i've shared what i thought, but i honestly think it's something that could help debunk some things people think is paranormal and help to explain a change in which the EMF fluxes. cause again, everything that has energy has an EMF.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardian Angel of Fire

• Pluto-x

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• myghostnetwork

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What we need is one of these:

Proton Pack I think they're called, they seem to do the trick ^_^

post-52129-1210785889_thumb.jpg

Every investigation try out a new piece of equipment.... Thats what i say...But there are still limmited tools to do this .... I wonder what will be the tools of the future. But i can't accept much emf readings. naturally occuring around our whole planet. When a magnetic band is bent back( like the aurora) doesn't it ground out anyway twards the crust. this would certainly cause emf fluctuations right?

not to mention all the power and appliances and things of that nature in houses to change emf readings

yes true appliance that constantly are running on a power supply, microwaves, tv's, computers, sound systems, etc. they all have continuous runs, and when you draw near them the numbers go up but each put out a low EMF field, there are often connectors and splitters and big cable lines that give off higher readings, especially if you have grounded power lines.

What we need is one of these:

Proton Pack I think they're called, they seem to do the trick ^_^

post-52129-1210785889_thumb.jpg

LOL yes that could do the trick, draw them out, we need ghost bait!!!!!

It is rare these days to be somewhere without power sources at all. What if you were, say on a haunted battlefield, miles from any electricity and you have reports of "the feeling" (hehe) and rediculously high EMF readings, what would you think in that situation?? Would you give the readings more credance?

Pluto: I will get round to that poll. :yes:

remember electromagnetic frequencies occur in nature as well, there are plenty of locations in the middle of nowhere in the desert that give off super high electromagnetic frields. so honestly i wouldnt give those readings any more credance.

I personally don't see anything wrong with experimenting with things, who knows maybe you will figure something out, but like someone said earlier in the thread this field is based primarily on theories, there is nothing wrong with creating theories of your own. it doesn't mean that it is going to work, or do any good, but that is what trying to take a scientific approach to this field is all about. Theory - test - theory - test....

some day i would love to share with you my theory on using a theremin in ghost hunting.... i still can't get my hands on a theremin :(

Reg.,

My problem with all this is that why should how somebody "feels" have anything to do with it?

I've had goosebumps raised over perfectly explainable phenomena that, for a second, I didn't know the explanation for.

Does my "feeling" still count?

Harte

I have to agree, you can not prove or disprove feelings, they should not be taken into account on an investigation.

I have to agree, you can not prove or disprove feelings, they should not be taken into account on an investigation.

true true, as i did say too, they can cause people to often feel that way due to a steady constant one high field in the room, like i say i get these feelings in my basement but i plan to get an EMF to see what readings i get in my basement.

Just in terms of experimentation, here is something my team and I have been talking about and trying to put into practice lately concerning EMF meters and their ability to detect paranormal activity or not...

It requires at least 3 people and is just based off the "good cop/bad cop" routine. In any particular room where claims of activity have been reported, we have two people have an "argument" on whether or not there is any spirits in the house or room. The third person sits motionless with an EMF meter to look for spikes or weird fluctuations that don't jive with the base reading of the area.

We've had minimum to moderate success with it, sometimes seeming to get reactions when a particular level of anger is reached or our language gets rough. Nothing, of course, that would truly suggest we are riling anything up, but an interesting experiment to try nonetheless.

I have seen a couple people mention TAPS. I don’t recall ever seeing an episode when they showed any type evidence at a reveal regarding EMF’s, if they have it has only been maybe 2 or 3 times.

I have seen a couple people mention TAPS. I don’t recall ever seeing an episode when they showed any type evidence at a reveal regarding EMF’s, if they have it has only been maybe 2 or 3 times.

They actually have, they've even had strange ones which seemed to come and go and flux in strange ways. Which makes it interesting but truely it's hard to track them when they come, of course they dont use them to say a place is haunted, but they do use it as a possibility because they cant debunk it, the ones i've seen atleast.

They actually have, they've even had strange ones which seemed to come and go and flux in strange ways. Which makes it interesting but truely it's hard to track them when they come, of course they dont use them to say a place is haunted, but they do use it as a possibility because they cant debunk it, the ones i've seen atleast.

I quit watching that show when the theory of "energy" being "stored" in the crystalline structure of the nearby bedrock was proposed as a reason for a place supposedly (or possibly) being haunted.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the fact that the leaders (at least) of that group go in with the mindset of debunking the claim.

But it was just too much of a reach when somebody mentioned that "there is a lot of limestone in the area" as a possible reason for "lingering" paranormal "energies" or whatever you want to call it.

First of all, there are many forms of bedrock that contain far more, purer, and better-defined crystals than limestone - take granite, for instance.

Secondly, anyone care to estimate how far any given place anywhere on Earth is from the "nearest" limestone, granite, or other bedrock formation?

Please. With that criterion, every place on Earth could be seen as having lingering paranormal "energies" due to some nearby rock formation.

Harte

I quit watching that show when the theory of "energy" being "stored" in the crystalline structure of the nearby bedrock was proposed as a reason for a place supposedly (or possibly) being haunted.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the fact that the leaders (at least) of that group go in with the mindset of debunking the claim.

But it was just too much of a reach when somebody mentioned that "there is a lot of limestone in the area" as a possible reason for "lingering" paranormal "energies" or whatever you want to call it.

First of all, there are many forms of bedrock that contain far more, purer, and better-defined crystals than limestone - take granite, for instance.

Secondly, anyone care to estimate how far any given place anywhere on Earth is from the "nearest" limestone, granite, or other bedrock formation?

Please. With that criterion, every place on Earth could be seen as having lingering paranormal "energies" due to some nearby rock formation.

Harte

hell who knows, maybe you'd be surprised to find a little bit of some stone or thing in your backyard or around your house anywhere, someone proposed earlier on this forum about Sampling the Soil around the area which seems to have some form of activity. Who knows??? It's a possibility, at this point about anything is probable because it's all theories. Give em credit for coming up with a theory, its quiet a good Theory if you think about it, because everything around us has "Energy," also "Earthbound Spirits" often are bound to the earth due to the fact of something they cherished in life so they stay in an area or with something that they were attached to.

Thats just my thought.

Theories are good but they are so much better with tangible evidence. The thing is to test these thoeries. I wonder why progress is so slow. It sucks that most of these jumps in advancements we wont be around for. Hopefully there is conciousness after death then we will at least have knowledge of it! my thoughts!

Theories are good but they are so much better with tangible evidence. The thing is to test these thoeries. I wonder why progress is so slow. It sucks that most of these jumps in advancements we wont be around for. Hopefully there is conciousness after death then we will at least have knowledge of it! my thoughts!

well if theories had tangile evidence then it would no longer be a theory, it'd become a sort of Fact, i think progress isnt slow at all, i believe the high tech stuff is developed, but the government and nasa who's creating these secret things arnt sharing this sooner, instead they wait a while before releasing some of this stuff, just what i honestly think. (i'm not a conspiricst, i just think such high technology exists but it's not being shared sooner).

I dunno, they're cool to have and all, and they can sort of help you corroborate evidence you've already captured, I guess. Like if an object moves by itself and there's an EMF spike at the same time, you could draw correlations between the two. However, if you've already captured video of the event in question, it's kind of pointless, because the evidence is the video of something moving on its own.

But what I see way more often is someone saying, "I've got a spike! 2.1, 2.2 2.6 3.0!!!!, 3.1!" etc. What was going on in the room while that was happening? I guess we won't know because he was busying watching the little numbers on the LCD :lol: They're completely distracted by the equipment. Even on Ghost Hunters, how often do you see Steve completely entralled by the EMF detector, almost in a state of technical ecstacy, when suddenly something happens and he jerks around trying to manipulate the camera with his free hand, never taking one eye off the EMF meter, and ends up just missing something he said happened right in front of him?

Personally, I think I'd rather have both eyes and hands free to capture evidence. I guess it's a trade off either way.

Edited by Wallydraigle

But what I see way more often is someone saying, "I've got a spike! 2.1, 2.2 2.6 3.0!!!!, 3.1!" etc.

Exactly and if something is consistently going up, that is not a spike. I see it all the time, people walking around a room and they keep getting an increase of numbers and then it quickly dissipates, they think it’s a spike and start to consider it paranormal, when it most likely isn't. Chances are they were picking up some type of device or devices giving off an EMF and they have stepped out of range, and lost the reading.

Exactly and if something is consistently going up, that is not a spike. I see it all the time, people walking around a room and they keep getting an increase of numbers and then it quickly dissipates, they think it’s a spike and start to consider it paranormal, when it most likely isn't. Chances are they were picking up some type of device or devices giving off an EMF and they have stepped out of range, and lost the reading.

true true, i havnt used an EMF meter but i'm keeping in mind the thought of spike and not spike

Harte

There is some science behind it. Not with limestone though.

Crystals can have Pyroelectricity or Piezoelectricity.

Pyroelectricity is when an electric charge is given off when a crystal is heated or cooled.

Piezoelectricity is when an electric charge is given off when a crytsal is put under pressure.

In either case limestone doesn't have the crystal structure needed.