Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunting

Nessieman23

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nessieman23

• Lightning88

• Veliska

• NE Legendhunter

Im just wondering?

You should find a local paranormal society and let them know your intrest see if there are openings tell them you want to train properly, most groups are informational if you ask

You should find a local paranormal society and let them know your intrest see if there are openings tell them you want to train properly, most groups are informational if you ask

I suppose, but let's say I want to make my own Paranormal Society

Get a decent camera and a stack of map books. Get a digital voice recorder, maybe an EMF meter, and definitely take lots of notes. Record EVERYTHING scientifically - don't try to make your evidence fit any preconceived theories. There are public places all over that are just begging to be investigated: stick with those (and friend's houses) until you build a reputation. You could try blogging your investigations and publicize your services that way.

Get a decent camera and a stack of map books. Get a digital voice recorder, maybe an EMF meter, and definitely take lots of notes. Record EVERYTHING scientifically - don't try to make your evidence fit any preconceived theories. There are public places all over that are just begging to be investigated: stick with those (and friend's houses) until you build a reputation. You could try blogging your investigations and publicize your services that way.

Yes, and does anyone know how much this will cost? (estimate)

I suppose, but let's say I want to make my own Paranormal Society

Thats what I did , when I started I still got in contact with many people and began to study everything I could from documentation to the laws , getting permission and those chains of command when on site

try my site and look around a bit

http://www.myspace.com/ghostmd

Ok, now how would I get permits?

Thats your research part and asking diferent people to help the paranormal comunity can be closed to those that havent paid their dues... your best bet is to get with an established group or klike yhe other person said do some small investigations with a camera and digital recorder, graveyards are great for orb photos and the public one are open to everyone no permission needed but their is a golden rule you should never break and thats never go alone or without telling someone where you are

good luck

Yes, and does anyone know how much this will cost? (estimate)

Figure < $200 for a decent point-and-shoot or upwards of $500 for an SLR. A nice, big memory card for my Olympus cost about $35. I'm not sure what they cost for other brands, but you really want the biggest one you can get, and maybe a spare or two. The more pics you take, the more likely you are to get some evidence.

You will need $50 or so for the voice recorder. Map books are around $20/each. EMF meters range from $30 to several hundred, depending on what you get. You will need a computer to upload your pics and recordings - but I'm figuring you have one already because you're posting here ;)

Gas, food, batteries (very important: carry spare sets for everything!) and daily expenses tend to run me around $100 for every weekend we go out. But we do LOTS of driving to out-of-the-way locations, so YMMV . . . pun not intended.

Another Question: how would I get a site.

Keep in mind we are only 14

I think the only thing you can get at 14 is a MySpace. Or maybe something on Blogger? Stick to freebies, otherwise you need a credit card or paypal account, neither of which you can get yet.

I think the only thing you can get at 14 is a MySpace. Or maybe something on Blogger? Stick to freebies, otherwise you need a credit card or paypal account, neither of which you can get yet.

Alright then.

This is going to sound cliche, but should we do door to door handouts?

Alright then.

This is going to sound cliche, but should we do door to door handouts?

You probably won't get far . . . I hate to sound discouraging, but I get "looks" when I talk to random people about this stuff, and I'm twice your age. Tell your friends and family, publicize on the internet, and conduct yourself with decorum when you're out. Let them come to you. By the time you're old enough to get an "official" site and drive yourselves around, you'll have tons of experience under your belts, and you'll have learned a lot. Unfortunately, at 14, there really isn't much you can do that will be taken seriously unless you already have a large body of work on your resume.

You probably won't get far . . . I hate to sound discouraging, but I get "looks" when I talk to random people about this stuff, and I'm twice your age. Tell your friends and family, publicize on the internet, and conduct yourself with decorum when you're out. Let them come to you. By the time you're old enough to get an "official" site and drive yourselves around, you'll have tons of experience under your belts, and you'll have learned a lot. Unfortunately, at 14, there really isn't much you can do that will be taken seriously unless you already have a large body of work on your resume.

Nicely said..

i sent you a PM nessieman.

If you have the money and you buy the latest and greatest ghost hunting equipment then people will come to you(and ghosts) and you can even start your own TV show.

Thanks man. :tsu::tsu:

welcome :tu:

Im just wondering?

First: Learn the when/where/why/how of any equipment you think you want. Don't be one of the thousands how get orbs on a rainy day and say "Look at all those ghosts!"

Being younger it will be rather hard to get into any group. Your best bet is to stick to research, RESEARCH and RESEARCH. Know your equipment inside and out and investigate smaller areas of interest. Not too sure how many people would allow you to come into their home being that you guys are fairly young.

As far as websites, unfortuntely being young, you are probably going to be stuck with myspace and I do not suggest any freebie sites where you have ads and what not popping up everywhere. Plus with myspace you can network and actually make yourself known easier than having a freebie site.

Stick with the basic equipment for now.

Depends on your area, you may or may not get weird looks. We hold seminars throughout our area covering about 100 miles and we have NEVER been turned down handing out flyers to businesses and our seminars are rather popular as of late.

It's all about promotion to be honest. You can either float below the radar or rise above it and get yourself known. If you are a new group you have to establish your group first, then establish your public image. You want people to be able to trust your group.

I've kinda been wanting to get into the whole ghost hunting thing myself ^_^

Being younger it will be rather hard to get into any group. Your best bet is to stick to research, RESEARCH and RESEARCH. Know your equipment inside and out and investigate smaller areas of interest. Not too sure how many people would allow you to come into their home being that you guys are fairly young.

As far as websites, unfortuntely being young, you are probably going to be stuck with myspace and I do not suggest any freebie sites where you have ads and what not popping up everywhere. Plus with myspace you can network and actually make yourself known easier than having a freebie site.

Stick with the basic equipment for now.

Depends on your area, you may or may not get weird looks. We hold seminars throughout our area covering about 100 miles and we have NEVER been turned down handing out flyers to businesses and our seminars are rather popular as of late.

It's all about promotion to be honest. You can either float below the radar or rise above it and get yourself known. If you are a new group you have to establish your group first, then establish your public image. You want people to be able to trust your group.

I agree with you CryWolf, Research is sooo very important. I am still Researching.

You know the expression "Knowledge is power", well it is. Ghost hunting isnt getting a group of people together with a flashlight, camera, digital recorder & emf detector, it's also about learning all the different theories about the paranormal & about why people use so many different pieces of equipment. Knowledge is extremely important in this field.

Try reading up on it!

I know i have seen some really good books on people that started up ghost hunting. I will try to refind them and post the titles, but i know i have seen some with like just everyday people doing it. I have thought of starting up a ghosting hunting group in my area but i have not had the time and now that i do i have lost contact with the people i know so i will have to start over. But i think a good bet is to look to other occult interested people because alot of times people that like some things like others or at least will be more open minded. Like me and alot of people i know are into paranormal but also witchcraft and ancient practises and such. Although i will say i have found that people that are into ufos really serious do not seem to hang with the same circles as others but that is just what i have noticed. But like just try reading some books. I read one that was actully in the kids section at the libraty, but honestly it was really informative and mature. It talked about how ghosts r not just all williowly and all kinds of info.

Also if u say ur 14, why dont u just ask your folks to come along with you? I mean if they are open to it.