Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA of extinct Thylacine brought back to life

UM-Bot

dna.jpg
Australian scientists say it may one day be possible to bring the dinosaur back to life, after a world-first experiment with DNA from the extinct Tasmanian tiger. Injected DNA from preserved Tasmanian tiger specimens was injected and brought back to life in a mouse embryo in the nine-year experiment conducted by Melbourne University zoologists Andrew Pask and Marilyn Renfree.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: ninemsn.com.au

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DONTEATUS

• Drayno

• Haj01

• passionate

I hope the brains that bring back the past also can heal the problems that may come back with the past? We could use a DNA cure all! IMO. DONTEATUS

Discovering a cure for all the worlds diseases at this time in our worlds history would be catastrophic. Mankind would soon come to an end.

Discovering a cure for all the worlds diseases at this time in our worlds history would be catastrophic. Mankind would soon come to an end.

Not unless the genetic engineering included quick growth, shortened lifespan, minimal food consumption to energy output... making the perfect slaves.

I can see the transhumanists giggling evilly already.

why would it?

why would it?

Even more rampant overpopulation than we suffer today.

mankind will jus end up messin somethin up.... as usual.

Jesus, you can't have a scientific breakthrough like this without all the Negative Nancies going all Apocalyptic, can you? Any research that might someday bring me my pet dimetrodon is good dang research. :yes:

I hope they don't recreate Neanderthals. Of course, intellectually I'd love to see one but he/she would be sentient enough to realize he was all alone in the world and was basically a science experiment. God only knows how they'd be used commercially-- as slaves?

Even more rampant overpopulation than we suffer today.

Why is it that we don't sterilize more people? I for one would be in favor of reducing jail time for anyone who would agree to be "fixed".

The procedure should be free for anyone who wants it. Heck, even a one time tax credit. Mostly the people who would accept these offerings would be the people who should not have (more) children in the first place.

hmm it has pros and cons,

would it mentally be a dinosaur or would it be a hybrid or would it just be a mouse in a weird body

new biological diseases? a military of raptors t-rex? only need a computer chip.

how will they evolve?

DNA should not be messed with, everything is how it should be

mankind will jus end up messin somethin up.... as usual.

Jesus, you can't have a scientific breakthrough like this without all the Negative Nancies going all Apocalyptic, can you? Any research that might someday bring me my pet dimetrodon is good dang research. :yes:

The irony of this posting sequence. :rolleyes:

It's Jurassic Park all over again... D:

Wow, thats amazing. Totally mind-boggling!

God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs. Dinosaurs eat man.

I'm worried more if scientists are planning to release extincted animals into enviroments sooner or later because 1) That's introducing exotic species that could wipe out the native ones 2) It could heavily impact the food chain/enviroment habitats already existing, and 3) how would the "resurrected" animal survive? How will it adapt? I mean, it's a whole new world for them, and al ot can change in just one century, and they're not ready for that kind of change in a blink of an eye.

Do you get what I'm saying? :hmm:

You forgot god creats woman,woman Rules the earth! :D DONTEATUS Go DNA!

i for one think this is great! perhaps one day we will be able to reverse all or most of the damage we have done to this planet. its are fault that the Thylacine went extinct. so why not fix are mistakes if we can?

If they went extinct in the first place then that proves that they cannot survive in the altered environment that man has created... So why bring them back just to let them die out again?

Move on people! Leave the dead where they belong... (Shoo I sound like a zombie killer or something :P )

But some DNA stuff will free man to live a more productive life on our travels thru time and space,It may well be that we destroy our world and selfs someday but at least it will be known that we were great explorers of all that we find. Its just mans way of dealing with our little actually know universe. IMO DONTEATUS B)

You know...this kind of stuff is amazing, but I wish they would spend the time and money focusing on a cure for cancer or AIDS. There is a reason dinosaurs are extinct. I think it would be disastrous to bring them back or "cross-breed" them.

• 3 weeks later...

I like zOrigins reply... I think it'd be pretty cool and maybe we could cure some disease or something with the different species immunities..just a thought, but it could be tragic if mistakes are made and the technology is used for military purposes.

I like zOrigins reply... I think it'd be pretty cool and maybe we could cure some disease or something with the different species immunities..just a thought, but it could be tragic if mistakes are made and the technology is used for military purposes.

He is quoting Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park. ;)