Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two million Britons emigrate in 10 years

questionmark

Two million Britons emigrate in 10 years

By James Kirkup, Political Correspondent

Last Updated: 1:34PM BST 20/05/2008

Two million British citizens have left the UK in a decade, the greatest exodus from this country in almost a century, new figures will show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) will release figures showing that more than 200,000 Britons emigrated during 2006. That will take the total number who left the country between 1997 and 2006 to 1.97 million.

Another 1.58 million foreign nationals resident in Britain left during the same period.

However, 3.9 million foreigners arrived over the decade, including more than 500,000 in 2006.

The body will publish the raft of immigration figures on Tuesday, as MPs prepare to dismiss the national statisticians’ data as “not fit for purpose” and demand an overhaul of the way population movements are measured.

On Thursday, the Treasury sub-committee of the House of Commons will conclude that the lack of reliable and up-to-date figures for immigrant populations is hampering Government policy both nationally and locally.

ONS figures only go back to 1991, but some historians say the departure of two million Britons in a decade is almost unparalleled in the country’s history.

According to figures compiled by Jay Winter, of Yale University, the last comparable exodus came between 1911 and 1914, when 2.4 million people left Britain. The other significant spike in emigration came in the late 1950s and early 1960s, when thousands of Britons left to start new lives in Australia, Canada and the United States.

The Institute for Public Policy Research, a think-tank, has estimated that there are more than 5.5 million British citizens living abroad.

Jill Rutter, a senior migration researcher at the IPPR, said the recent exodus marked “probably the greatest period of emigration we’ve ever seen”.

She said: “A lot of this is people retiring abroad, which is a relatively new phenomenon and is only possible because we are all better off .

“There is also a much more internationalised labour market and workforce — it is now quite commonplace for people to go abroad to work for a year or more.” Immigrants who come to this country, gain citizenship and then leave also add to the total of British emigrants.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• chemical-licker

• Lord Of The Dragons

• atom286

Where did they go? Are they spread out of did they go to one place mostly?

And this is a surprise, why? This country goes further and further down the pan with every passing year. Is it any wonder people want out as soon as they can?

They see that Britain is not British anymore. Made up mostly of foreigners and the government is going crazy making up new laws thinking that they are protecting their citizens when in fact they are destroying the fabric of Britain. Shame really. :(

I can't work out whether it's a conspiracy to destroy the UK from within..by someone...or just sheer incompetence/lack of foresight by the Gov.

But yeah, the UK is becoming more unpleasant to live in.

Where I live (London) is becoming positively dangerous.

Too many different cultures with different agendas living too close to each other.

Any debates in the mainstream media seem to be nullified.

Still, it's not all bad news... it's always amusing to watch those with 'naive ideals' come face to face with the true reality of the situation.

I'm only hanging on...to watch you go down... :hmm:

2 million and 1 :D

2 million and 2

Come on who wants to live in Britain anymore the mainstream parties have *****d it up.

I'm off to switzerland!

I can't work out whether it's a conspiracy to destroy the UK from within..by someone...or just sheer incompetence/lack of foresight by the Gov.

But yeah, the UK is becoming more unpleasant to live in.

Where I live (London) is becoming positively dangerous.

Too many different cultures with different agendas living too close to each other.

Any debates in the mainstream media seem to be nullified.

Still, it's not all bad news... it's always amusing to watch those with 'naive ideals' come face to face with the true reality of the situation.

I'm only hanging on...to watch you go down... :hmm:

I'm not sure who you voted for in the London Assembly elections that just went by but all Londoners should be asking youselves about missing votes.

Check the BNP website.

She said: “A lot of this is people retiring abroad, which is a relatively new phenomenon and is only possible because we are all better off .

“There is also a much more internationalised labour market and workforce — it is now quite commonplace for people to go abroad to work for a year or more.” Immigrants who come to this country, gain citizenship and then leave also add to the total of British emigrants.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

Its globalization people. Increased movement of the labourforce.

I would be interested to know a)where they are going and b)how large a portion of them are previous immigrants into britain

I'd also be interested in hearing where the people who complain Britain has gone down the drain since the influx of immigrants would like to move?

I'd also be interested in hearing where the people who complain Britain has gone down the drain since the influx of immigrants would like to move?

Personally, I'd prefer to stay here in the UK. I'd like to see the influx of foreigners stopped, those who have recently (say within the last 5 years or so) arrived sent back to where they came from and those who are allowed to stay given a strict warning that they must adhere to our laws and our way of life or they too will be sent back. If they don't like it or don't agree, the option of going back is always open to them.

This country started going downhill back in the years when Thatcher and her Conservatives got in Whitehall. The steady slide continued with Blair and his labour idiots. Right now, I don't see anything getting any better, any time soon. So, in answer to your question, given the choice I'd go to Canada. I hear that the Canadian climate is quite similar to ours (maybe a little colder, but I don't mind the cold) and that the people are quite warm and friendly.

So, basically, I'd prefer to sort this mess of a country out first but, if that wasn't going to happen, then I'd go to Canada.

Immigrants who come to this country, gain citizenship and then leave also add to the total of British emigrants.

Funny really,while on holiday in Spain, costa del sol, i observed most of the expats there were of a working age, with families etc, the British seem to have chipped out a little England, over in Spain, its great, they dont even need to learn the spanish language.... "Hoy Paco, una cerveza porfavor"... is the only phrase needed out there.....

secondly, saying thats its the immigrants with citizenship, who are also emigrating, is a total load of horse sh......

I imagine that the cost of living is relatively expensive in the UK, compared to other places. Especially in London.

Still, it's not a trivial decision to pack up everything and say goodbye to one's friends and family, and face the unknown.

I wish good luck to the British ex-pats, wherever they may roam.

Edited by snackfood

Personally, I'd prefer to stay here in the UK. I'd like to see the influx of foreigners stopped, those who have recently (say within the last 5 years or so) arrived sent back to where they came from and those who are allowed to stay given a strict warning that they must adhere to our laws and our way of life or they too will be sent back. If they don't like it or don't agree, the option of going back is always open to them.

Wow. Harsh words. I can't help but feel that your methods are unnecessarily cruel. I would imagine that banishing all immigrants who've lived in Britain for less than 5 years would p*** off a lot of people (like their possible british spouses and employers). I'd also imagine that such mass expulsions would be warning enough.

On what grounds does Britain currently deport people? Mainly - can a criminal act get you deported or not?

So if you ever decide that you have to escape..And you travel the world but you can't find a place.

well, you could wind up believing, that paradise is nothing more than a feeling which goes on in your mind.

So if you ever find out what it is, you know there's something you could do.

Cause if I ever hold that golden dream again,

I want to tell you, I'm gonna name it the United Kingdom. ;)

Enoch Powell said this country would go down hill with the infux of hundreds of thousands of immigrants and their dependents coming to the UK, the man stood up, and was shot down by the liberals, Enochs long gone and has been proved right, even the Labour home office minister whos idea it was to let immigrants come here willy nilly, admitted his good intentions had damaged this once great country, and if he could turn back the clock he would have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/white/rivers_blood.shtml

2 million and 2

Come on who wants to live in Britain anymore the mainstream parties have *****d it up.

I'm off to switzerland!

2 million and 3 B)

I moved to Madrid nearly 3 years ago... will never move back because I have a real quality of life here. But... you would never find me on the Costa del Sol, its full of ignorant UK louts who dont even try to integrate. One woman I know has run a "Pub" there for 7 years but still doesnt speak a single word of Spanish... that is just disrespectful.

One woman I know has run a "Pub" there for 7 years but still doesnt speak a single word of Spanish... that is just disrespectful.

I have to agree... I think you've got to make an effort.

When I see images like this

It kinda puts me off Spain. :hmm: Just because the Bull wouldn't fight..because he was too scared, he was killed :cry:

Some of the English are going over to Spain and helping the animals.

They see that Britain is not British anymore. Made up mostly of foreigners and the government is going crazy making up new laws thinking that they are protecting their citizens when in fact they are destroying the fabric of Britain. Shame really. :(

What goes around will come around. Unfortunately it is still in the beginning stages :hmm:

I agree, British people should stay in their own country....they can be quite annoying. :)

:lol:

When I see images like this

It kinda puts me off Spain. :hmm: Just because the Bull wouldn't fight..because he was too scared, he was killed :cry:

Some of the English are going over to Spain and helping the animals.

i have to agree hill that was a horrible video, :cry: lets put loads of spanish people in with the bull, :hmm: no the bull might lick them to death that will confuse their tiny spanish minds, pobablythink its worshipped by satan or something :lol: